Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
steel_hop

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by steel_hop »

So any thoughts on the game beyond how to listen/watch it?

Will we see any line-up changes. More time for Murphy/Angelus, which means Baskin's time drop? If Sowers goes off, will we actually see a zone?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 am So any thoughts on the game beyond how to listen/watch it?

Will we see any line-up changes. More time for Murphy/Angelus, which means Baskin's time drop? If Sowers goes off, will we actually see a zone?
If there is a lineup change on offense, my guess is it'll be Joey back starting on attack. Otherwise I doubt we see anything significant.

Has anyone heard anything about Concannon? Is he done for the year? He's been in street clothes ever since the non-contact injury against Towson. Not a great sign. Really hope that's not the case.
viper

Post by viper »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 am Will we see any line-up changes.
Your being funny, right????
Last edited by viper on Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
viper

Post by viper »

viper wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:24 am
So I am at the supermarket the other day and the person in checkout in front of me is trying to pay with their credit/debit card. They slide the card and it is rejected, so they slide the card again and it is rejected again, once again they slide the card and guess what - rejected. Process repeated over and over with same result. I finally got in another line.
:o :o
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

viper wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:29 am
So I am at the supermarket the other day and the person in checkout in front of me is trying to pay with their credit/debit card. They slide the card and it is rejected, so they slide the card again and it is rejected again, once again they slide the card and guess what - rejected. Process repeated over and over with same result. I finally got in another line.
They did move Degnon to 1st line so there's that...
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

You’re

C’mon man, proper English bro!
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:11 am
Don't forget about that physical specimen Hawley on the wings.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:29 am Don't forget about that physical specimen Hawley on the wings.
In his defense, he had 2 GBs off the wing against UNC, which is the same amount as Lilly, Glassmeyer, and DiPietro have in the first three games combined. I don't really blame them for giving someone else a shot. Minus one scintillating hit from Jaronski in the first game, wing play has been a big bag of yikes.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:47 pm
flalax22 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:29 am Don't forget about that physical specimen Hawley on the wings.
In his defense, he had 2 GBs off the wing against UNC, which is the same amount as Lilly, Glassmeyer, and DiPietro have in the first three games combined. I don't really blame them for giving someone else a shot. Minus one scintillating hit from Jaronski in the first game, wing play has been a big bag of yikes.
Jaronski came back to reality vs UNC. Tarheels made him look dumb a couple of times. I'm sure film session was a good time for him. I hope he can tighten things up vs Sowers and Co
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:29 am
The shot on Hawley seems a bit out of line. Maybe it's the sarcasm you use when you say "physical specimen". Although it's pretty much par for the course from most of you.
I love reading what's said about the physical traits or percieved talent these young men have.
Overall, all those that attack these young boys in this forum comes across very humorous to me.
Stay focused.....continue to curse, cuss, use sarcism degrade, just try to keep it in the direction of the coaches.
Any one of these kids...any one of them are outstanding athletes as were athletes from previous year's teams. These kids don't wake up and tell the coach..."I'm going to play today, my turn".
Coach decides game day play.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:10 am
steel_hop wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 am So any thoughts on the game beyond how to listen/watch it?

If there is a lineup change on offense, my guess is it'll be Joey back starting on attack. Otherwise I doubt we see anything significant.

Has anyone heard anything about Concannon? Is he done for the year? He's been in street clothes ever since the non-contact injury against Towson. Not a great sign. Really hope that's not the case.
I would concur that Epstein probably starts or at least gets significantly more time. Maybe Angelus gets more runs on 2nd mid.
Talk in preseason was that Calnan was really pushing for time...perhaps not
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Mightyjoe wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:57 pm
The shot on Hawley seems a bit out of line. Maybe it's the sarcasm you use when you say "physical specimen". Although it's pretty much par for the course from most of you.
I love reading what's said about the physical traits or percieved talent these young men have.
Overall, all those that attack these young boys in this forum comes across very humorous to me.
Stay focused.....continue to curse, cuss, use sarcism degrade, just try to keep it in the direction of the coaches.
Any one of these kids...any one of them are outstanding athletes as were athletes from previous year's teams. These kids don't wake up and tell the coach..."I'm going to play today, my turn".
That is one hundred percent fair and you are right. I was trying to make light of the staffs over appreciation for small midfielders.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Mightyjoe wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:57 pm
“Degrade” the players.

Now, who could be one of the biggest offenders of that?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Good thing they have an academic adviser so the players can keep degrades up.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:38 pm Good thing they have an academic adviser so the players can keep degrades up.
Or put up with the degrades, the degrades, boss!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Game notes: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/2/2 ... notes.aspx

Just scanned them but didn't see anything of note.

Although 2 of their 3 games were against less than stellar competition, Princeton has been solid in pretty much all phases of the game so far this year. We know what the offense is capable of with Sowers but the defense and goaltending have also been good. The one clear edge we may have is at the faceoff dot. Princeton is right around 50% as a team while Prouty and Narewski have combined for just over 60%. With no Zach Currier around to grab our FOGO's stick, there will be no excuse if we don't win the faceoff battle this year—and we will most certainly need to, to keep the ball out of Sowers' stick as much as possible.

The other keys IMO are things the Jays must fix themselves regardless of opponent. It starts with turnovers and clearing the ball. Virginia cleared it pretty well against the Tigers last week but they are a much better team in that department (and many others) than we are right now. Virginia also won the GB battle 50-37 despite only winning three more faceoffs. Princeton won the game by shooting pretty well—30 of 46 shots were on cage and 16 went in—and got a very good game out of their goalie Peters. They never trailed in the game, answering every UVA run with one of their own.

I think Joey almost has to play a majority of the game. I do not share some of the handwringing some of you have espoused about his injury. He is clearly not 100%, but he looked ready for an expanded role to me. Another week of practice should serve him well. If Baskin is again a large factor, he will need to play like he did against Princeton last year, and not like he has in the past two games.

No idea what the strategy is for Sowers. He is a virtual lock for 6 points no matter what, but you can't let him go for much more than that. Some mix of man, zone, shutting off, double teams, anything to throw him out of rhythm, if that's even possible. The kitchen sink. I'd venture to say that this is one of the most important defensive gameplans of the last several years for Petro. The result could go a long way toward deciding what this season might ultimately be—either "getting back on track" with a win to provide some light at the end of the tunnel and maybe salvage this thing, or a plummet further into the deep dark chasm of misery.

Going to be cold. 36-37 at gametime but at least sunny and no rain in the forecast.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Concannon is still listed among the key personnel in the game notes. Should we assume that there is still hope he will return at some point this season?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:09 pm Concannon is still listed among the key personnel in the game notes. Should we assume that there is still hope he will return at some point this season?
Is this Concannon's 5th year, correct? If for some reason he doesn't come back and play would he be eligible for a 6th year? I know there is a bunch of other requirements that need to be met but just playing 1 game this year wouldn't make him ineligble.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:17 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:09 pm Concannon is still listed among the key personnel in the game notes. Should we assume that there is still hope he will return at some point this season?
Is this Concannon's 5th year, correct? If for some reason he doesn't come back and play would he be eligible for a 6th year? I know there is a bunch of other requirements that need to be met but just playing 1 game this year wouldn't make him ineligble.
I found this via google. This seems to indicate Concannon could possibly have a chance for a 6th year if he can't play anymore this year. Question is, would he want to take it if he were to get it?

A player who has already had a redshirt season and then qualifies for a medical redshirt in a subsequent season can be approved for a sixth year of eligibility. However, those cases are tougher to win, as the player is supposed to have missed two seasons for "circumstances beyond their control", where taking a redshirt as a true freshman would not typically meet that criteria. It could work for a player such as currently-redshirting Nathan Cottrell or KirVonte Benson, though, were they to suffer a second season-ending injury at some point in their careers.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:32 pm
steel_hop wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:17 pm
I found this via google. This seems to indicate Concannon could possibly have a chance for a 6th year if he can't play anymore this year. Question is, would he want to take it if he were to get it?

A player who has already had a redshirt season and then qualifies for a medical redshirt in a subsequent season can be approved for a sixth year of eligibility. However, those cases are tougher to win, as the player is supposed to have missed two seasons for "circumstances beyond their control", where taking a redshirt as a true freshman would not typically meet that criteria. It could work for a player such as currently-redshirting Nathan Cottrell or KirVonte Benson, though, were they to suffer a second season-ending injury at some point in their careers.
concannon's first redshirt was medical. there have been a number of folks in the nc$$ who've gotten 2 medicals. i'd imagine most of them have been revenue/full scholly types.
even at hopkins boland got 2 years, the 2nd medical.

if he's still in the game notes, such as they are, everyone's probably hopeful/expecting he'll be back.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”