Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
intheknow247

Re: Recruiting

Post by intheknow247 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:07 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 8:17 pm Along with Jaylen Rosga, Niki Miles, and Jordan Miles, NU also got Riley Campbell and Grace Fujinaga. Interesting.
Will be interesting to see how NU pivots now that Izzy is no longer there. There was a period of time where they struggled mightily without Scane. I just don't see a program changing talent like that right now on their roster and i expect them to fall back to earth a bit, even with the new additions.
To underscore that, the 4 years prior to Shane's arrival, NU lost in quarters twice and second round twice. Upon her arrival, in her 4 years of playing, semis twice, finalist once, title once. Her importance, like that of a Taylor Cummings, was HUGEEEEEEE, and like Maryland's slip since Cummings, expect that of NU.
Last edited by intheknow247 on Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

ultravisitor wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:36 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:56 am
ultravisitor wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 8:17 pm Along with Jaylen Rosga, Niki Miles, and Jordan Miles, NU also got Riley Campbell and Grace Fujinaga. Interesting.
Will be interesting to see how NU pivots now that Izzy is no longer there. There was a period of time where they struggled mightily without Scane. I just don't see a program changing talent like that right now on their roster and i expect them to fall back to earth a bit, even with the new additions.
While probably the most unheralded, I think by the end of the season Fujinaga will be the biggest impact transfer. Her defensive performance against MD was one of the best I can remember
She and Niki Miles have two years of eligibility left, too, from what I understand.
Niki Miles and Fujinaga should only have one year of eligibility left. Both played full seasons in 2022, 2023 and 2024. The same is true for Jordan Miles and Campbell.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

intheknow247 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:42 pm
To underscore that, the 4 years prior to Shane's arrival, NU lost in quarters twice and second round twice. Upon her arrival, in her 4 years of playing, semis twice, finalist once, title once. Her importance, like that of a Taylor Cummings is HUGEEEEEEE.
Well Maryland went undefeated and won the national title the year after Cummings left and I think Northwestern fans would take that in a heartbeat.
Codylax14

Post by Codylax14 »

was wondering what the scholarships looked like this year with all the changes. Schools like Pennst JMU umass uconn colorado denver or even schools like duke or hopkins..... I know some of the big schools are really giving a lot? How is it looking across the board. Did the new pending rules really make that big of a difference?
MSLAX5

Post by MSLAX5 »

Codylax14 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:15 pm was wondering what the scholarships looked like this year with all the changes. Schools like Pennst JMU umass uconn colorado denver or even schools like duke or hopkins..... I know some of the big schools are really giving a lot? How is it looking across the board. Did the new pending rules really make that big of a difference?
There has been no ruling on the NCAA case, so I am not sure schools are offering up more that the 12.5 scholarships right now.
Otherwise, they are in trouble if it does not play out correctly. U Maryland Soccer just decommitted a bunch of their 2025 recruits to get under 35 roster and $. I am wondering if this may happen to some 2025 recruits in lacrosse.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

jff97 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:58 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:36 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:56 am
While probably the most unheralded, I think by the end of the season Fujinaga will be the biggest impact transfer. Her defensive performance against MD was one of the best I can remember
She and Niki Miles have two years of eligibility left, too, from what I understand.
Niki Miles and Fujinaga should only have one year of eligibility left. Both played full seasons in 2022, 2023 and 2024. The same is true for Jordan Miles and Campbell.
I was going by what IL Women said, so if I’m wrong then it’s their fault lol

Glad to have them with NU for however long!
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

MSLAX5 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:31 pm
Codylax14 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:15 pm was wondering what the scholarships looked like this year with all the changes. Schools like Pennst JMU umass uconn colorado denver or even schools like duke or hopkins..... I know some of the big schools are really giving a lot? How is it looking across the board. Did the new pending rules really make that big of a difference?
There has been no ruling on the NCAA case, so I am not sure schools are offering up more that the 12.5 scholarships right now.
Otherwise, they are in trouble if it does not play out correctly. U Maryland Soccer just decommitted a bunch of their 2025 recruits to get under 35 roster and $. I am wondering if this may happen to some 2025 recruits in lacrosse.
From what I'm hearing is there are some schools that are planning on this going through and offering full. Sounds like the judge was going over the revised agreements today, so should be interesting...
MDstateMan

Post by MDstateMan »

To underscore that, the 4 years prior to Shane's arrival, NU lost in quarters twice and second round twice. Upon her arrival, in her 4 years of playing, semis twice, finalist once, title once. Her importance, like that of a Taylor Cummings, was HUGEEEEEEE, and like Maryland's slip since Cummings, expect that of NU.
MD won a title post Taylor Cummings.
cdb

Post by cdb »

Hasn't NW won 8 championships since 2005. And didn't Md lose a 3 gaol lead to BC in the last minutes of a recent final four game?

I would not bet against any of the coaches located in Evanston, Chestnut Hill, Chapel Hill or MD to win again. The programs will always have great players, such as Izzy, but they seem to reload time and time again.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

cdb wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 3:15 pm Hasn't NW won 8 championships since 2005. And didn't Md lose a 3 gaol lead to BC in the last minutes of a recent final four game?

I would not bet against any of the coaches located in Evanston, Chestnut Hill, Chapel Hill or MD to win again. The programs will always have great players, such as Izzy, but they seem to reload time and time again.
NWs loss to UNC in the semis a couple years back was absolutely brutal to watch. Much worse than MDs loss to BC. In this fan's opinion...
cdb

Post by cdb »

I agree Spidey and I thought Coach Hiller would make sure it never happened again, but they were up big on BC this year, but could not hold that lead either -- albeit it took 3 quarters of the game rather than just the last quarter with UNC. When you think about it, if NW had played better defense in the Final Fours, it could have won 3 straight NCs rather than 1. But as has been discussed many times, it is very very difficult to win a NC -- even with tons of talent.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

MDstateMan wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 3:01 pm
MD won a title post Taylor Cummings.
Correct, Stukenberg with Tewaaraton in 2017 and Taylor with Tewaaraton in 2019. You can tie almost every NCAA WLax program "run" to a star player who gets them over the edge. Big shoes to fill in Northwestern, and Maryland has struggled since those two left as well (in terms of what they are used to doing year in and year out).
fanlaxUN

Post by fanlaxUN »

jff97 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:59 pm
To underscore that, the 4 years prior to Shane's arrival, NU lost in quarters twice and second round twice. Upon her arrival, in her 4 years of playing, semis twice, finalist once, title once. Her importance, like that of a Taylor Cummings is HUGEEEEEEE.
Well Maryland went undefeated and won the national title the year after Cummings left and I think Northwestern fans would take that in a heartbeat.
Well pointed out. and NU had, what was termed at the time and unbeatable greatest team of all time with several 23 and 24 yr old transfers on the ropes in the semis with out Scane. that was missed in the script above. Lacrosse is a 12 person game. If you look at the best games against the best competition any team like MD or NU played with their superstars, the superstars were very good, but on par with the other players.
Laximus

Post by Laximus »

IMHO, I think the coaches are willing to speculate a bit on the legal outcome and offer another 1.5-2.5 scholarships to the 2026 class. The net affect to the 2026 class will be an additional 10%-40% more than normal offered to each kid in each Tier of the recruiting class. One must keep in mind the fact that most coaches only view the top 3-5 players in each class as potential on field contributors. If they ever get meaningful minutes from the bottom players in a class that is viewed as icing on the cake. That being said, I suspect a standard offer to the top Tier (2-3 players) in a class moves from 50%-80% to 70%-100%. 2nd tier (4th-6th) in a class moves from 20%-40% to 30%-50%. Third Tier (7th+ players) in the class from 0%-20% to 0%-30% scholarship. It is extremely unlikely that many programs if any at all are offering full scholarships to kids that in all lilklihood are never leaving the practice field. I stated in another post that if the "House" resoultion ends up at the 38 roster spots and scholarships that the affect will land at about 16-22 scholarships total scholarships per team or 1-3 extra per class for WLAX. The benficiaries will be men's football who will move from 85 to 105 scholarships. For conversation purposes, lets say in a best case scenario for womens sports they they add the 20 to football and another 20 mens scholarships to the non revenue generating sports. The AD in turn will then have another 20-40 womens scholarships to divide up between their womens sports. IMO I think the number is closer to just he 20 football but how many to each sport will depend on what M&W sports a particular school wants to concentrate efforts on. Don't be surprised to see some currently suported sports disappear or change to club only so they can stack up full scholarships to entire rosters on certain sports. Just my 2 cents.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”