Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by DocBarrister »

Jldlax wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:08 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:46 pm
Mr. F wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:36 pm I liked the effort in the first quarter. We certainly proved we can hang with a top 5 team for a half. Blow outs happen, even to great teams. How this team responds now is important. I remember back to 2018 when we got blown out by loyola and blew a big lead to unc, and responded by winning 7 straight including overcoming a 7 goal deficit to uva. This is a good team. The faceoff game is a strength, and other areas except goalie are markedly improved from last year.
I do agree … Blue Jays have the makings of a good team.

However, a lacrosse team without good goalie play is like a baseball team without good pitching or a football team without a good QB.

Nothing else is going to matter much until you strengthen that position.

DocBarrister
As a Georgetown fan who watched the game, the Hopkins goalie was just part of the overall picture. Georgetown is simply the better team this year in every aspect of the game and is an experienced, cohesive group.

Yes the goalie was not great but after the first quarter Georgetown got its sea legs and dominated defensively, which then opened up the transition game and six on six. MCElroy did make some great saves to turn things around but he is a very special player. The Hop goalie faced open shots and tough transition opportunities from GU and it snowballed from there.
GT is a terrific team. No disagreement there.

We are not rushing to judgment on Kirson. He had a 0.397 save percentage in 9 games last season. This year, his save percentage is 0.444. Today, his save percentage was 0.429.

Would GT’s coaches find that acceptable? Would any head coach in Division I college lacrosse find that acceptable?

We’ll find out next week whether Coach Milliman finds that acceptable.

Hey, if Kirson improves and becomes a stellar, top-caliber goalie … that would be great.

But at some point, wishful thinking has to give way to an objective evaluation of performance. Kirson’s performance and stats speak for themselves.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

February 13th and JHU has played 3 games in the last 8 days. Its cold and nobody likes to play when it is freezing. :)

First regular (Fall and preseason practice) season in a rebuilding year, with new (but good) Coaches. You play with the cards that you are dealt. The simplistic caterwauling from some posters here apparently will not end because they think they are saying (again & again) something insightful. :roll:

I have faith in the Coaches and JHU players to be competitive with a very challenging schedule. We will see how this plays out. :?:

Did anyone notice the Jacksonville just beat "mighty" Duke ? And Jacksonville lost to .....

Where is the Wombat to cancel out some of these posts?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Chitown wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:59 pm February 13th and JHU has played 3 games in the last 8 days. Its cold and nobody likes to play when it is freezing. :)

First regular (Fall and preseason practice) season in a rebuilding year, with new (but good) Coaches. You play with the cards that you are dealt. The simplistic caterwauling from some posters here apparently will not end because they think they are saying (again & again) something insightful. :roll:

I have faith in the Coaches and JHU players to be competitive with a very challenging schedule. We will see how this plays out. :?:

Did anyone notice the Jacksonville just beat "mighty" Duke ? And Jacksonville lost to .....

If you’re content with a goalie averaging a 0.408 save percentage over 12 games … and consistently saving around that percentage in individual games, let us know, Chitown.

There are three other talented goalies on the roster … give someone else a chance and see what they can do. Is that just “simplistic caterwauling” or just what most coaches would do?

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Yes, Hopkins has parts but goalie is an issue. Some thin skinned misinterpreted my point vs Towson. If the HC is warming up goalies he is concerned w this position. And, switched to Versfeld v Towson. This schedule is to difficult to deal w mediocrity in the goal.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:09 pm
Chitown wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:59 pm February 13th and JHU has played 3 games in the last 8 days. Its cold and nobody likes to play when it is freezing. :)

If you’re content with a goalie averaging a 0.408 save percentage over 12 games … and consistently saving around that percentage in individual games, let us know, Chitown.

There are three other talented goalies on the roster … give someone else a chance and see what they can do. Is that just “simplistic caterwauling” or just what most coaches would do?

I think that you have not been to the Fall practices or any of the preseason practices. Is that a correct assumption? I remember from a long time ago that all positions on the field were competitive, and the Coaches encouraged that competition.

JHU has, what, 4 goalies. Do you not think that the Coaches, very experienced by the way, are evaluating the strengths and weakesses of all these goalies every week? :roll: I would think that the decision each week is to put the best performer on the field game day. Apparently you think that the JHU Coaches are inexperienced and illogical. You are entitled to your opinion. I think that it is "simplistic caterwauling" week after week.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Chitown wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:21 pm

I think that you have not been to the Fall practices or any of the preseason practices. Is that a correct assumption? I remember from a long time ago that all positions on the field were competitive, and the Coaches encouraged that competition.

JHU has, what, 4 goalies. Do you not think that the Coaches, very experienced by the way, are evaluating the strengths and weakesses of all these goalies every week? :roll: I would think that the decision each week is to put the best performer on the field game day. Apparently you think that the JHU Coaches are inexperienced and illogical. You are entitled to your opinion. I think that it is "simplistic caterwauling" week after week.
What I’m saying is that at some point, being the best in practice (which I am confident Kirson is … otherwise, he wouldn’t be starting) shouldn’t be enough to start Kirson if he keeps saving only 40% plus change.

It’s what you do in actual games that should matter most, right? What has Kirson done in a dozen games to keep starting?

You played for some of the best coaches in history. Didn’t they ultimately decide who played based on their performance in actual games? Isn’t that how you earned your playing time?

So, why all the talk of practice?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Terry Foy@TerenceFoy The $8/month price requires a full-year payment, but allows for a $12.50 monthly option.
Terry Foy@TerenceFoy If you don't want to pay $150 for a full year of Flo Sports access, you can buy the CAA and Big East lacrosse monthly for $8.

IL had a rough day. Even though they read this site constantly they were scooped on the hoya kid sitting by 15 hours by a commenter on the game thread, and then gave out misinformation about tv. On top of that Quint did a pod last week where he basically said he left them because "(he) felt like he was making the donuts"-he was bored working there.

I will admit I didn't watch the game although the replays are usually posted on youtube w/in a day. I wasn't going to pay to use that byzantine system and I had other life stuff. I will defer to those of you who watched but Grimes as someone metioned has I think already passed his pt total from last year.

I've been very critical for years of this program here but aside from the big ten tournament I thought this was one of the better weekends we've had in years. Took almost 10 quarters into the season to trail, first 2-0 start in 5 years, the knowns have showed up, the scheduling including jacksonville looks very strong. Some are going to argue we needed easier games but I remember 10-15 years ago when we played manhattans and umbcs in february and march, got destroyed in the gauntlet and then had to scratch to make the tournament. This is a more balanced approach and for recruiting and momentum purposes having all these big games early is great for getting our brand out there.

Watched part of the loyola game and we know they're better than that score. Sounds from their forum like there's a lot health and issues otherwise for them to work out this week. Here are the tillman/toomey post game comments
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCphEgR ... H1ciICA3yg
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

No one likes making excuses, and Georgetown was the better team who deserved to win, but having watched the game I have a hard time not seeing how playing 2 games in 3 days didn't have a substantial effect. The Jays got off the bus like they were shot out of a cannon...but almost immediately in the 2nd quarter you could tell something was off. Once the Hoyas settled down it didn't seem like we stood a chance. Martin, in particular, was gassed. Neither Angelus nor Degnon even took a single shot. Bad team offense? Maybe. Tired Legs? Probably. That is a very, very tough defense to go against when you're not at your best. They make you fight for everything and the opportunities you do get, their goalie cleans up.

Maybe I am delusional (always a possibility!) but I don't have that sinking feeling of dread that I have often felt in the past after a loss like this. I get the sense that looking back on the season it might look like somewhat of an outlier. We'll see.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:13 am No one likes making excuses, and Georgetown was the better team who deserved to win, but having watched the game I have a hard time not seeing how playing 2 games in 3 days didn't have a substantial effect. The Jays got off the bus like they were shot out of a cannon...but almost immediately in the 2nd quarter you could tell something was off. Once the Hoyas settled down it didn't seem like we stood a chance. Martin, in particular, was gassed. Neither Angelus nor Degnon even took a single shot. Bad team offense? Maybe. Tired Legs? Probably. That is a very, very tough defense to go against when you're not at your best. They make you fight for everything and the opportunities you do get, their goalie cleans up.

Maybe I am delusional (always a possibility!) but I don't have that sinking feeling of dread that I have often felt in the past after a loss like this. I get the sense that looking back on the season it might look like somewhat of an outlier. We'll see.
I hardly think you are delusional. And as much as I hate to agree with Hopkins' fans, that game on Friday night against Towson was really physical with wide open play at times. Definitely took a toll, on middies in particular.

All that said, Georgetown looked like the better team for 80% of that game. They took better shots and the defense was a LOT tighter than JHU. Milliman has some work to do to clean up that defense. I am sure that they will improve as the year progresses. So early. A lot will change in the next three months.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:13 am No one likes making excuses, and Georgetown was the better team who deserved to win, but having watched the game I have a hard time not seeing how playing 2 games in 3 days didn't have a substantial effect. The Jays got off the bus like they were shot out of a cannon...but almost immediately in the 2nd quarter you could tell something was off. Once the Hoyas settled down it didn't seem like we stood a chance. Martin, in particular, was gassed. Neither Angelus nor Degnon even took a single shot. Bad team offense? Maybe. Tired Legs? Probably. That is a very, very tough defense to go against when you're not at your best. They make you fight for everything and the opportunities you do get, their goalie cleans up.

100%. Normally I would be in full blown histrionics at this point with that loss and yet I find there is a lot to be positive about. The cage however is an issue. I believe Marcille has shown flashes that he can carry this team. Anyone who pays attention will notice he’s the most engaged player on the sideline. He’s the most vocal and most animated. He’s being a good teammate while he bides his time. I’d give him the shot vs Loyola.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Loyola seems like a big game for both now. A close game will be a convergence of opinion on the two even if a single game. A margin of more than 3 by either team will be problematic. Can’t lose that by 4+ and expect to be in the hunt w MD. I guess you can lean on a late run last year but…

Certainly wouldn’t be leaning as hard as some might want to on that Jax win. They could do anything between now and April.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

Didn’t get to watch the game, but if what you said is true that they looked tired it might have been an opportunity to play some of bench players. It seemed from the box score at least he rolled with the same 9 players on Offense. Correct me if I am wrong.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HappyGilmore wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:13 am

Didn’t get to watch the game, but if what you said is true that they looked tired it might have been an opportunity to play some of bench players. It seemed from the box score at least he rolled with the same 9 players on Offense. Correct me if I am wrong.
Dylan Bauer got out there for some runs for the first time this season (and in his career). Other than that it was the same, yes. But it was also a 4-goal game to start the 4th quarter. Would have been odd to empty the bench before that point as the Jays were still theoretically in it, however unlikely a comeback was at that point. Georgetown didn't fully pull away until that final frame.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:12 pm
Chitown wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:21 pm

What I’m saying is that at some point, being the best in practice (which I am confident Kirson is … otherwise, he wouldn’t be starting) shouldn’t be enough to start Kirson if he keeps saving only 40% plus change.

It’s what you do in actual games that should matter most, right? What has Kirson done in a dozen games to keep starting?

You played for some of the best coaches in history. Didn’t they ultimately decide who played based on their performance in actual games? Isn’t that how you earned your playing time?

So, why all the talk of practice?

DocBarrister
Maybe the coaches are not as good as people think.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:22 am

Dylan Bauer got out there for some runs for the first time this season (and in his career). Other than that it was the same, yes. But it was also a 4-goal game to start the 4th quarter. Would have been odd to empty the bench before that point as the Jays were still theoretically in it, however unlikely a comeback was at that point. Georgetown didn't fully pull away until that final frame.
Not asking to empty the bench, like you said they looked tired. With two games in three days he could have played more players earlier in the game. First midfield had zero points!! Two of them had zero stat lines. So were they really losing anything if they ran out some of the other players?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HappyGilmore wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:43 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:22 am

Not asking to empty the bench, like you said they looked tired. With two games in three days he could have played more players earlier in the game. First midfield had zero points!! Two of them had zero stat lines. So were they really losing anything if they ran out some of the other players?
Hindsight is 20/20, but it would have been risky to throw a bunch of freshmen or inexperienced guys out there in that game, against that opponent, in those conditions, when the game was still in the balance and things for 15 minutes at least looked quite good. They were already 10 deep on offense even before Bauer came on, as Raposo was rotating with Evans on the second line with Peshko and McDermott. And they were running 5 deep at SSDM. You can't go a whole lot deeper than that. Again, it felt like a very winnable game in the first half. Maybe the staff should have seen the slowdown coming but putting another middie or two out there would not have changed the outcome.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... no-1/58927
lot of positives in there but shooting, turnovers, saves and this stat remain
The next step is for the gravity that Epstein and Garrett Degnon create to translate into dunks on the crease. Defensively, they need too kill possessions by winning the race to loose balls; GTown picked up 24 non-face-off groundballs to Hopkins’ 14.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

if you are using 2 relatively equal lines (as hopkins does?), offensive midfielders play and run less in today's game than any other position. save goalie.

if the middies needed the 3rd line in, they need to get in better shape.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I have to admit I fell for the Flosports scam as well - got out of the $150 scam into the $30 scam and that may be all I have the energy for - oh well poor decision

As for the game - Georgetown's combo of a good face-off man/big athletic defense and a great goalie is a bad combo for most teams but especially Hopkins a team which needs the ball to protect it goalie and relies on alot of offensive initiation from smaller players - DeSimone/Epstein/Angelus/Keogh. They were getting manhandled whenever they stepped into harm's way.

Probably the best 20 or so minutes of Kirson in a Hopkins Uniform - Second half was not great but I think everybody was tired. The 4th quarter saw 15-5 in shots - 10-3 in ground balls and 6-1 in face-offs for the guys in white. Few goalies are going to withstand that onslaught. Still - it shows the importance of the goalie position - when he played reasonably well - Hopkins was ahead or in the game. Non face-off man ground balls was a deficit of 28-23 - not horrible when you consider the circumstances of the 4th quarter. and dealing with 2 games in under 48 hours.

Shooting was atrocious - Peshko is doing his Claude Rains impression - also can't have 2 first line midfielders with stat lines of 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
At least commit a turnover to prove you were there.

Loyola at home is a big game.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

GT was playing its first game. Once they settled in it was over. All good points but GT playing its first game is a factor too. Hopkins was never going to beat them at this point in the season

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”