Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 12:00 PM

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 12:00 PM

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 2:32 pm
AreaLax wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:31 pm 1st quarter start watching at the 8:10 mark McNaney makes his 1st save. It was not a pipe.
That shot was going wide. McNaney snagged it, but it would not have gone in. Scorekeeper got it right, that was not a save.
I do recall the play seeing it live. Wasn’t too worried about the status but the but scoreboards kept listing zero but 0 or 1 sort of doesn’t matter. But yeah it wasn’t on cage.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I agree that 0 or 1 doesn't matter to the game, but the official scorekeeper can take a bow for getting it right.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:07 pm
BigTurn wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:18 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:03 pm Did I hear right that ND has 20 seniors and grad students contributing to the team?

Oh, sure, this abundance is a consequence of Covid, which is no one's fault or plan, but until this Covid year-or-two eligibility jiggering winds off of the rosters I'm putting an asterisk next to these super-teams.

This is the 4th year of 'Covid-year' eligibility extensions, right? So we're done, right?
Maryland had a ton of 5th year contributors. The entire ACC was loaded with them. Hopkins had at least a handful. Even the ivies had guys withdraw and come back to gain extra years. Brandau began his career in 2019. The tops schools were all on the same footing, no asterisks needed.
This is not entirely accurate. When you weigh the inflow and outflow of talent in the portal over the past three post-Covid seasons, the Ivy League was significantly disadvantaged as compared to the ACC/B10 and other conferences. It is not easy to transfer into Ivy League schools as an undergraduate. But the major reason the extra eligibility years hampered the Ivies vs the ACC/B10 was because its schools did not permit grad students to play even if they still had eligibility. While a handful of Ivy players kept their undergraduate eligibility by withdrawing from school for a semester or two, most did not (it is incredibly disruptive to one's college years and delays graduation and entry into the post-lax "real world"). The result was a steady flow of top Ivy talent to ACC/B10 teams as 5th year graduate students. Many of the ACC/B10 programs had these 23-24 year old former Ivy players as key components of their post season rosters. So you were subtracting from Ivy rosters and adding to ACC/B10 rosters. Not the same footing at all.

As for the asterisks, I think it is impossible to compare this entire Covid era (2021-24) without taking into account that the championship teams from this era had 23-25 year old players playing a 5th year in key spots when prior title winning teams did not.
That's sort of my point, Chousnake.

Every team this year is larded with 5th and 6th and perhaps a few 7th year players. It's like PLL light, for gosh sakes.

I heard a debate a day ago about whether the 2024 Irish were the best D1 College team ever, and it's hard to argue against the Irish. They have great Masters level programs and were a favorite for another final 4 at least, so they got the cream of the transfer portal. Their role players were senior leaders on other teams winning honors last year. They rolled 3 midfields deep, for gosh sakes.

Would you bet on the 2022 Maryland team against this juggernaut? or the 2004 'cuse team or the 2008 Hop squad or any other champion great against this squad? I hope not. The Irish got the right role players to compliment the excellent team they already had.

This is fine, in my mind. New England West 1 HS lax is the best league in the nation because they go 7 deep teams that just plug their holes with late bloomers or kids who need some scholastic focus before being set loose on a college campus. Post Grads, IOW. These Covid Era Super Teams are not normal. It's a whole different game. Thus the asterisks until the Covid disruptions stop.
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

A championship ring is cool. But so is a 401k and company sponsored health insurance. 6 years might be too many…
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:28 pm A championship ring is cool. But so is a 401k and company sponsored health insurance. 6 years might be too many…
Gotta consider NIL now.. I know Tevlin and Fake saw some pretty good coin last year. I imagine Conlin did as well to leave his banking job in lieu of another year. I’m well into my career and past my prime now, but I know I’d give up a year of work for another year in the locker room with my best friends chasing a ring in a heartbeat. I have the rest of my life to sit at a desk.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:45 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:03 pm Did I hear right that ND has 20 seniors and grad students contributing to the team?

Oh, sure, this abundance is a consequence of Covid, which is no one's fault or plan, but until this Covid year-or-two eligibility jiggering winds off of the rosters I'm putting an asterisk next to these super-teams.

This is the 4th year of 'Covid-year' eligibility extensions, right? So we're done, right?
Maryland had a ton of 5th year contributors. The entire ACC was loaded with them. Hopkins had at least a handful. Even the ivies had guys withdraw and come back to gain extra years. Brandau began his career in 2019. The tops schools were all on the same footing, no asterisks needed.
This is not entirely accurate. When you weigh the inflow and outflow of talent in the portal over the past three post-Covid seasons, the Ivy League was significantly disadvantaged as compared to the ACC/B10 and other conferences. It is not easy to transfer into Ivy League schools as an undergraduate. But the major reason the extra eligibility years hampered the Ivies vs the ACC/B10 was because its schools did not permit grad students to play even if they still had eligibility. While a handful of Ivy players kept their undergraduate eligibility by withdrawing from school for a semester or two, most did not (it is incredibly disruptive to one's college years and delays graduation and entry into the post-lax "real world"). The result was a steady flow of top Ivy talent to ACC/B10 teams as 5th year graduate students. Many of the ACC/B10 programs had these 23-24 year old former Ivy players as key components of their post season rosters. So you were subtracting from Ivy rosters and adding to ACC/B10 rosters. Not the same footing at all.

As for the asterisks, I think it is impossible to compare this entire Covid era (2021-24) without taking into account that the championship teams from this era had 23-25 year old players playing a 5th year in key spots when prior title winning teams did not.

Every team this year is larded with 5th and 6th and perhaps a few 7th year players. It's like PLL light, for gosh sakes.

I heard a debate a day ago about whether the 2024 Irish were the best D1 College team ever, and it's hard to argue against the Irish. They have great Masters level programs and were a favorite for another final 4 at least, so they got the cream of the transfer portal. Their role players were senior leaders on other teams winning honors last year. They rolled 3 midfields deep, for gosh sakes.

Would you bet on the 2022 Maryland team against this juggernaut? or the 2004 'cuse team or the 2008 Hop squad or any other champion great against this squad? I hope not. The Irish got the right role players to compliment the excellent team they already had.

This is fine, in my mind. New England West 1 HS lax is the best league in the nation because they go 7 deep teams that just plug their holes with late bloomers or kids who need some scholastic focus before being set loose on a college campus. Post Grads, IOW. These Covid Era Super Teams are not normal. It's a whole different game. Thus the asterisks until the Covid disruptions stop.
wait, what? it's hard to argue the terps' 22 team? it absolutely is not hard to argue that. or the uva 2006 team. and others. we seem to be getting pretty far over our skis here.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:00 pm

wait, what? it's hard to argue the terps' 22 team? it absolutely is not hard to argue that. or the uva 2006 team. and others. we seem to be getting pretty far over our skis here.
Were the last two undefeated national champions actually good? We can't be sure
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

ND fans are still drunk from their Memorial Day celebrations, it would seem. For the modern game, the top of the all-time rankings are simple:

Tier 1 is the ‘22 Terps and the ‘06 Cavaliers and no one else.

Tier 2 is where you can slot this ‘24 Notre Dame team, along with ‘05 Hopkins, ‘12 Loyola, and maybe the ‘15 Denver squad and a couple others I’m forgetting.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

In 22’ Md won in South Bend 11-9 . That’s a dominant win? BTW it was 2 years ago. The same MD goalie in 22 struggled mightily on Monday. Also 24’ ND went back to back. Did MD 22’ go back to back?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:55 pm I agree that 0 or 1 doesn't matter to the game, but the official scorekeeper can take a bow for getting it right.
Sure my response to the others fighting for that #1 in the save line as if it mattered. Quite the hill to die on.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wonder how many kids are going to regret using their “get out of analyst/lateral movement” MBA chip on those far less valuable or functional one year mbas while having never worked professionally.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:55 am
runrussellrun wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:36 am
Finster wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:08 am Rewatched.

Trying hard not to blame any one player, but man alive, NOT EVEN ONE SAVE IN THE FIRST HALF?!! Just being picked apart high right hand; ND saw film which shows McNaney prefers bouncers.

Team deflated after they saw their goalie wasn’t seeing much. That Taylor goal on the crease to tie it up 2-2 with no one on him (why was Burlace drifting over to an already covered Dobson?!!) was the back breaker imo. Championship gane, defense allowing a doorstep goal…you can see the energy drain away from there, other than Weirman. Which came first ? Perhaps the goalie, got deflated, after that second goal ? Could have sworn Terps goalie saved a shot, with Anish stating after " ....a question mark, and McNaey had the answer.." in the first half Perhaps, my misremembering goes along with sucks penchant for "misinformation". ;)

John T is the best and I just don’t think he had any option other than to leave McNaney in. He obviously began to see the ball better in the second half but the damage was done by then.

If McNaney makes a few early saves then levels out at 60%, different ending. When you’re that mentally exhausted (I’d say the same happened to Maryland in ‘22 for the championship game, but different angle), it doesn’t take much to break your back.
Definitely did not have a save until well into second half
Yeah, "definitely". :roll:

Yup.......exactly how suck remembered it......Logan making the save and throwing an outlet pass. In the first quarter.

What else am we right about ;)

95 percent effective at PREVENTING
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:08 am In 22’ Md won in South Bend 11-9 . That’s a dominant win? BTW it was 2 years ago. The same MD goalie in 22 struggled mightily on Monday. Also 24’ ND went back to back. Did MD 22’ go back to back?
Your argument is laughably stupid. No one cares who the best team was over a two-year stretch. And this years ND team not only lost a game, but they had a 1-goal win over Cornell, a team that didn’t even make the tournament, and 2-goal wins over Syracuse and Virginia. Contrast that with Maryland in 2022 who never once during the entire season had less than a 2-goal second half lead. Let that sink in.

Notre Dame this year was objectively worse than the ‘22 Terps team in terms of goals per game, average margin of victory (even with Cleveland St on the schedule), and number of all Americans. The Terps that year were also #1 in laxreference’s adjusted efficiencies for offense, defense, face offs, and goalie play. Something this years ND team wasn’t close to doing (no other team has done it since they’ve started tracking those stats). But keep on sniffing your own farts and acting like you have any leg to stand on here.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:02 am

Trying hard not to blame any one player, but man alive, NOT EVEN ONE SAVE IN THE FIRST HALF?!! Just being picked apart high right hand; ND saw film which shows McNaney prefers bouncers.

Team deflated after they saw their goalie wasn’t seeing much. That Taylor goal on the crease to tie it up 2-2 with no one on him (why was Burlace drifting over to an already covered Dobson?!!) was the back breaker imo. Championship gane, defense allowing a doorstep goal…you can see the energy drain away from there, other than Weirman. Which came first ? Perhaps the goalie, got deflated, after that second goal ? Could have sworn Terps goalie saved a shot, with Anish stating after " ....a question mark, and McNaey had the answer.." in the first half Perhaps, my misremembering goes along with sucks penchant for "misinformation". ;)

John T is the best and I just don’t think he had any option other than to leave McNaney in. He obviously began to see the ball better in the second half but the damage was done by then.

If McNaney makes a few early saves then levels out at 60%, different ending. When you’re that mentally exhausted (I’d say the same happened to Maryland in ‘22 for the championship game, but different angle), it doesn’t take much to break your back.

Yup.......exactly how suck remembered it......Logan making the save and throwing an outlet pass. In the first quarter.

Need English once again otherwise your bad faith efforts are still worthless.

But definitely because it is what’s on the record and your petty nonsense is once again useless.

Oh. Y the way my son is going to overnight ga tech lacrosse camp next week. Let’s keep propping up club sec/ACC lacrosse like a clown.

Why is everything a dumbass abstraction with you lacking any reality?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:43 am
runrussellrun wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:02 am

Need English once again otherwise your bad faith efforts are still worthless.

But definitely because it is what’s on the record and your petty nonsense is once again useless.

Oh. Y the way my son is going to overnight ga tech lacrosse camp next week. Let’s keep propping up club sec/ACC lacrosse like a clown.

Why is everything a dumbass abstraction with you lacking any reality?
Why, the personal attacks, over facts ?

It IS a fact, that McNaney made a save in the first quarter. That's all. exactly as I remembered and watched.

The SEC , most, do have college lacrosse teams. Fact.

Legal ruling, and paying players, applies to "clubs".

suck'm isn't the human that is sticking to their "definately" guns. We'm know that when a hand is placed in a bucket of ice water, "some folks" reality is that their hand is still warm and dry.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
coda

Post by coda »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:08 am In 22’ Md won in South Bend 11-9 . That’s a dominant win? BTW it was 2 years ago. The same MD goalie in 22 struggled mightily on Monday. Also 24’ ND went back to back. Did MD 22’ go back to back?
Mcnaney was a killer in 22. He was at .597 on the year. Hasn’t been the same since his injury. Back to Back isn’t relevant, when comparing single season teams. That Maryland team was the most efficient offense we have seen. That steals the show, but people forget how good the defense was. The defense gave up 29 goals in the tournament. 24 ND is really good, but 22 Maryland has the advantage at every unit
publaxguy

Post by publaxguy »

BigTurn wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:40 pm
HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:28 pm A championship ring is cool. But so is a 401k and company sponsored health insurance. 6 years might be too many…
Gotta consider NIL now.. I know Tevlin and Fake saw some pretty good coin last year. I imagine Conlin did as well to leave his banking job in lieu of another year. I’m well into my career and past my prime now, but I know I’d give up a year of work for another year in the locker room with my best friends chasing a ring in a heartbeat. I have the rest of my life to sit at a desk.

What’s “pretty good coin”?

Anyone know what the top NIL earner in NCAA lacrosse was this year? More or less than PLL? Where does the money come from? Haven’t seen much in terms of sponsorship and no one has overwhelming star power.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

publaxguy wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:50 am
BigTurn wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:40 pm

What’s “pretty good coin”?

Anyone know what the top NIL earner in NCAA lacrosse was this year? More or less than PLL? Where does the money come from? Haven’t seen much in terms of sponsorship and no one has overwhelming star power.
Its pay for play not actually tied to representing other industries, goods or services and utilizing "star power" to earn.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”