intheknow247 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:51 am
laxfan2889 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:42 am
hmmm wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:40 am
laxfan2889 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:39 am
hmmm wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:36 am
laxfan2889 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:12 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:42 pm
Fischer wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:59 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:27 pm I think NW will have good activity but BC will lay low and maybe get a defender. They are getting 4 great recruits for the offense and return some good players. Don’t think they need much portal activity
I agree with this NW has more holes to fill I would say Cuse as well So many key players leaving I think Ward has another year Do they have a goalie I know they had a younger one that tore her acl Paulson is done and she never got any time anyway I would think that’s the biggest question mark there
Pretty sure Ward isn’t returning. She posted grad photos today and some teammates commented how they would miss her.
I saw that! I know she has one more year of eligibility! I wonder if she’s going to play anywhere else? Any thoughts?
If she was in the portal, I think we'd have heard about it. STX posted something a few weeks ago congratulating her on a great career. Maybe she's just ready to move on.
So can someone clarify for me, if you are a graduate student you don’t have to enter the portal I thought? So wouldn’t Emma Ward, for example, not need to enter the portal since she is a graduate student? Idk why I think graduate students don’t have to be in the portal.
I don't believe this is true. The difference is that grad students can enter the portal at anytime. It doesn't have to be during the short window that the portal is open for undergrads.
Ahhh! thank you so much. I have had trouble understanding what the difference was.
Emma Ward CANNOT transfer unless she was in the portal before it closed, even as a graduate transfer. New NCAA rules (as of spring 2024) stipulate that graduate students can enter anytime during the academic year but must do so before the portal closes. Specific verbiage from NCAA:

“Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports’ final transfer windows...”

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/4/17/med ... rules.aspx
Wow! Very interesting! I am shocked at how empty the portal is this year. I assumed we were still waiting on some graduate students. Maybe we still haven’t been updated on the final list but still seems like a slow portal year.
hmmm

Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by hmmm »

laxfan2889 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:00 am
uncfan1013 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:27 pm I think NW will have good activity but BC will lay low and maybe get a defender. They are getting 4 great recruits for the offense and return some good players. Don’t think they need much portal activity
I agree with this NW has more holes to fill I would say Cuse as well So many key players leaving I think Ward has another year Do they have a goalie I know they had a younger one that tore her acl Paulson is done and she never got any time anyway I would think that’s the biggest question mark there
Pretty sure Ward isn’t returning. She posted grad photos today and some teammates commented how they would miss her.
I saw that! I know she has one more year of eligibility! I wonder if she’s going to play anywhere else? Any thoughts?
If she was in the portal, I think we'd have heard about it. STX posted something a few weeks ago congratulating her on a great career. Maybe she's just ready to move on.
So can someone clarify for me, if you are a graduate student you don’t have to enter the portal I thought? So wouldn’t Emma Ward, for example, not need to enter the portal since she is a graduate student? Idk why I think graduate students don’t have to be in the portal.
I don't believe this is true. The difference is that grad students can enter the portal at anytime. It doesn't have to be during the short window that the portal is open for undergrads.
Ahhh! thank you so much. I have had trouble understanding what the difference was.
Emma Ward CANNOT transfer unless she was in the portal before it closed, even as a graduate transfer. New NCAA rules (as of spring 2024) stipulate that graduate students can enter anytime during the academic year but must do so before the portal closes. Specific verbiage from NCAA:

“Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports’ final transfer windows...”

Wow! Very interesting! I am shocked at how empty the portal is this year. I assumed we were still waiting on some graduate students. Maybe we still haven’t been updated on the final list but still seems like a slow portal year.
There are a lot of players in the portal that are not on IL's list. Not to mention there are many on their list that have already committed but haven't been updated on the site. They aren't doing a good job with the women's tracker.
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:01 am

There are a lot of players in the portal that are not on IL's list. Not to mention there are many on their list that have already committed but haven't been updated on the site. They aren't doing a good job with the women's tracker.
Do you have any big names that you are aware of that aren’t on the list? I have to assume a lot of Ivy players are on there.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxfan2889 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:03 am
hmmm wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:01 am

Do you have any big names that you are aware of that aren’t on the list? I have to assume a lot of Ivy players are on there.
Yes, I I know of some, but it's not my place to put it out there.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

COVID years are done. Portal will be relegated back to players/coaches who want a change only.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Emma Ward could skip fall ball and enter the portal in December if she wanted to.
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

This maybe be a dumb question, but how does one see who’s in the portal lol. Like how do you access it?
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

You can’t access it. Coach’s have access but it is not public. Inside Lacrosse does a list but it isn’t everyone in it.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

This is another opportunity missed by the wlax community regarding increasing eyeballs on the sport. How old is that IL article now ?

This whole transfer portal is just like free agency- if the coaches are going to deal with the craziness, the game might as well use it to stir up the excitement
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:17 am This is another opportunity missed by the wlax community regarding increasing eyeballs on the sport. How old is that IL article now ?

This whole transfer portal is just like free agency- if the coaches are going to deal with the craziness, the game might as well use it to stir up the excitement
They are (slowly) updating the list...
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:17 am This is another opportunity missed by the wlax community regarding increasing eyeballs on the sport. How old is that IL article now ?

Last year at this time there was so much going on this forum about the portal! This forum has been quiet for 3 days :( I wish someone would come with some major developments. There must be so many Ivy players in the portal that we don’t know about.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

laxfan2889 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:02 am

Last year at this time there was so much going on this forum about the portal! This forum has been quiet for 3 days :( I wish someone would come with some major developments. There must be so many Ivy players in the portal that we don’t know about.
I see it differently. The portal was largely a Covid-driven phenomenon for women’s lacrosse given the lack of money for NIL deals in the sport. Football and basketball portal activity has a money dimension that women’s lax will never have. Once the remaining ivy players Covid related eligibility ends after this year, transfers will be true injury redshirts or those very unhappy with their experience.

And for many top ivy players this year with an extra year of eligibility, they have chosen to enter the working world as their employment options are typically incredible. Women’s lax teams typically have one of the highest gpas of all ivy sports—their job options are typically excellent. Only a small fraction of ivy players choose more lacrosse over entering the workforce….
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Exactly!
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:11 am

I see it differently. The portal was largely a Covid-driven phenomenon for women’s lacrosse given the lack of money for NIL deals in the sport. Football and basketball portal activity has a money dimension that women’s lax will never have. Once the remaining ivy players Covid related eligibility ends after this year, transfers will be true injury redshirts or those very unhappy with their experience.

And for many top ivy players this year with an extra year of eligibility, they have chosen to enter the working world as their employment options are typically incredible. Women’s lax teams typically have one of the highest gpas of all ivy sports—their job options are typically excellent. Only a small fraction of ivy players choose more lacrosse over entering the workforce….
I appreciate this perspective! And agree. I feel like ring chasing has also been a reason we’ve seen some transferring. I totally get that though. You know when you’re at a school that will not win a natty, so you transfer to a place with a much better chance.

I am curious why a player like Chase Boyle wouldn’t want to transfer to a program that will be a natty contender. This is no shade to Loyola at all, but just realistically they are not going to be a contender this next year, especially considering the huge talent they just lost. I understand that it is a lot to leave a program you love and all your friends, but hasn’t every player always dreamed of winning a natty? Once again, this is not shade to Loyola at all. I am curious about other people’s thoughts are on this.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:21 am

Exactly!
Agreed, but it's up to the player when they want to make things public. Plus, there are some situations that girls have committed to a new program, but there are some academic hoops that have to be jumped through before it's official. Other than a very small group of people, there's really no interest in where the girls end up going. Surprised how out of date the IL list is though.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Olivia Vergano to UNC, confirmed.

Good addition to the draw & offense
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

For the Ivies, many companies are happy to defer job opportunities for 12 months and allow these girls to enter with their next class of new hires. Like many decisions, I think there are multiple factors at play, employment is just one.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

laxfan2889 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:22 am

I appreciate this perspective! And agree. I feel like ring chasing has also been a reason we’ve seen some transferring. I totally get that though. You know when you’re at a school that will not win a natty, so you transfer to a place with a much better chance.

I am curious why a player like Chase Boyle wouldn’t want to transfer to a program that will be a natty contender. This is no shade to Loyola at all, but just realistically they are not going to be a contender this next year, especially considering the huge talent they just lost. I understand that it is a lot to leave a program you love and all your friends, but hasn’t every player always dreamed of winning a natty? Once again, this is not shade to Loyola at all. I am curious about other people’s thoughts are on this.
When you play college lacrosse you create lifelong bonds with your teammates. Maybe she also loves her coaches and the school.

Only one team wins a Natty per year. There are other factors why kids stay.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Brownlax wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:15 pm
laxfan2889 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:22 am

When you play college lacrosse you create lifelong bonds with your teammates. Maybe she also loves her coaches and the school.

Only one team wins a Natty per year. There are other factors why kids stay.
Yeah, by that logic, everyone would want to play for the same 5-6 schools since that's the only number of schools that really have a legit chance to win a championship. Girls choose schools for a myriad of reasons. For some winning is very important, for others it's way down the list of priorities. And once at a school, most these teams are very close and a majority of girls wouldn't even consider leaving to go somewhere else. As mentioned, this isn't football/basketball. There's no pot of gold in NIL or in the draft waiting for them.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:49 am

For the Ivies, many companies are happy to defer job opportunities for 12 months and allow these girls to enter with their next class of new hires. Like many decisions, I think there are multiple factors at play, employment is just one.
Your prior point is true only occasionally. Most firms to which these women are applying aren’t differing to allow for an extra year of college sporta and a one year defeee that they don’t value all that much anyway.
Corporate world occasionally. Finance and consulting rarely.

In any event, it won’t matter in another year. No more ivy eligibility….

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”