~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GreyingHound

Re: ~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

Post by GreyingHound »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:07 pm dump weather...lots of rain with possibly lightening. Hard to say who that favors or doesn't favor.
I'm willing to believe that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I always feel that bad/wet weather favors the weaker team. My thought is that a slick field tends to neutralize the speed and athleticism advantage of a better team.

I don't think Holy Cross would have beaten Loyola in 2015 if there hadn't been 3 inches of snow on the field in the 4th quarter.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Even though Loyola is going to win tonight and render this irrelevant :D I was looking at the tie-breaking rules and possible seeding scenarios, and the last one below makes no sense to me. If Loyola loses to Lafayette and Lehigh and BU both win, so all three teams are tied at 6-2, how in the world does Loyola, with the worst PL loss of the bunch, end up winning the tiebreaker for the top seed?

Loyola Maryland (6-1 PL): Clinched berth in the Patriot League Tournament and a quarterfinal bye
* Will be the No. 1 seed if they defeat Lafayette.
* Would be the No. 2 seed with a loss to Lafayette and BU beats Navy, Lehigh lose to Holy Cross.
* Will be No. 1 seed if Navy beats BU, regardless of the result of Loyola’s game against Lafayette.
* If Loyola Maryland loses to Lafayette, Lehigh defeats Holy Cross and Boston University defeats Navy (Loyola, Boston U and Lehigh finish 6-2), Loyola will be the 1st seed, due to Bucknell and Colgate finishing ahead of Lafayette, giving Loyola the edge.

In looking at the tie-breaking rules, it appears that losses against other seeded teams are examined, but not losses against teams that didn't even make the tournament. That makes no sense to me.

Am I missing something?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Would agree with you about weather/field conditions, G'hound.
Was a Hobart post season game during the years (can't remember what year) when Bart was on their consecutive NC run. RIT-Bart at the Boz. Perfect day for lacrosse, place was packed. RIT was faster and just flat out better that day and they were taking it to Bart. Then the lighting started and the downpour came (must say, that triggered the best wet t-shirt contest I've ever seen) and there was close to a two hour delay (plenty of time for more beer for pretty much everyone...plenty of places near the Boz to replenish supplies during the intermission). When play resumed it was a mud pit and RIT's legs had been taken out of the game. Bart came back to beat them in the mud game (am convinced RIT would have won that day had Mother Nature not decided to get involved).
Funny thing, I ran into one of the RIT boys who was on that team and in that game at one of the local watering holes here in Cuse. When we started talking about this one he turned to his crew and said, "See, this guy was at that game, he knows what happened!!!!!!" Had to be there, I suppose, but it was pretty damn funny.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:58 pm Would agree with you about weather/field conditions, G'hound.
Was a Hobart post season game during the years (can't remember what year) when Bart was on their consecutive NC run. RIT-Bart at the Boz. Perfect day for lacrosse, place was packed. RIT was faster and just flat out better that day and they were taking it to Bart. Then the lighting started and the downpour came (must say, that triggered the best wet t-shirt contest I've ever seen) and there was close to a two hour delay (plenty of time for more beer for pretty much everyone...plenty of places near the Boz to replenish supplies during the intermission). When play resumed it was a mud pit and RIT's legs had been taken out of the game. Bart came back to beat them in the mud game (am convinced RIT would have won that day had Mother Nature not decided to get involved).
Funny thing, I ran into one of the RIT boys who was on that team and in that game at one of the local watering holes here in Cuse. When we started talking about this one he turned to his crew and said, "See, this guy was at that game, he knows what happened!!!!!!" Had to be there, I suppose, but it was pretty damn funny.
Great story! Too bad phone cameras didn't exist back then! ;-)

I just hope the same fate doesn't befall the Hounds tonight...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Weather could be a whole lot worse and the field conditions look pretty good. Greyhounds still had a little trouble hitting their stride, looks as if they've got it under control at this point though, 11-3 at the end of three. Fat lady's sipping some club soda to clear the throat, gonna be singin' soon.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 pm Weather could be a whole lot worse and the field conditions look pretty good. Greyhounds still had a little trouble hitting their stride, looks as if they've got it under control at this point though, 11-3 at the end of three. Fat lady's sipping some club soda to clear the throat, gonna be singin' soon.
I expected a blowout, but not quite in this fashion. The starters looked like they were trying too hard. The reserves made it look effortless. I guess a win is a win, but that was an odd one.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Good win for the Hounds. It appeared Loyola rested a lot of the starters. Didn’t see any of them pushing it too hard for the first half they played. Spencer and Lindley both sat behind the goal and served as decoy. Noticed lots of kids, seniors included, getting their first career goals tonight.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

First ten minutes were interesting, Leopards were motivated and had that "this is our Super Bowl" mentality. Hounds were a little sluggish, but soon found their groove. Agree that the big guns got a bit of a rest. Did 7 play in the second half? A lot of new names were shouted out.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Alright, well that is what we asked for, the PL tournament at the RAC.

I don't think Bucknell is laying down against BU, just fyi. They are on a 4 game win streak playing with house money at this stage. I will go with BU nevertheless.

So far as Holy Cross at Army, that one is impossible to predict. I will go with Holy Cross.

Hounds earned this mini-break. I still want to play BU again, because you always want to beat the team that beat you once.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Missed the first 10 minutes of the quarter as i was finishing the OSU Michigan game.. but from what i heard the 1st quarter was very sloppy.
All in all a good game, looks like the starters weren't really giving 100%, i guess to save energy/effort for next friday?
Bailey was fantastic at the X, defense communication was better though the one play where the pick and fade where stover saved a miraculous time and room shot from 5 yards out needs to be addressed.
11 TO's in one half is atrocious. Can't be doing this from here on out

Props to the reserves coming in on all sides of the field and making plays. Ball movement and off ball cuts were impressive from the reserves, nice to see these guys who grind it out everyday in practice finally get decent minutes and points!

Looks like the 1st midfield now consists of scanlan, duffy and Swindell as the two way. Had a nice 4 point showing. 2nd midfield is probably a mix of cox, wigley, mcgovern and brown. Johnson is a nice scoring option in transition as an LSM
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Watched the Duke Notre Dame game yesterday.

The playbook to beat Duke is there if Charlie sees them again. Notre Dame should have won this game by much more than the final score. That all said, the Hounds defense simply needs to slide out on Montgomery and Smith when they dodge up top. Notre Dame's defense did a masterful job showing when and how to back up on defense. When you take those two players out of Duke's production, that team is not deep.

So far as attacking their defense, as long as you have two dodgers (I think the Hounds do), Duke will have a hard time defending. Jackoboice and Costabile could skate by their defenders at will. How the heck do we lose to Duke like we do?!?!? This team is very beatable.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Isolated thunderstorms possible prior to game time....Go Hounds!

Several Coaching changes in D1 - Navy and Harvard. I suspected Navy was going to make a change and Coach Sowell is class act. Hope none impact Loyola and its staff remains intact.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

this offense needs to wake TF up after that atrocious performance... How do you have 5 goals in the shotclock era? How do you have 3 times more turnovers THAN GOALS....

How do you simply not catch a pass.. OR HECK why do you jam it inside for a quick stick when its clearly filled with defenders.

This entire damn team needs to get reamed out, and then woken back the hell up for the tournament (if we even get picked now) because they just cost themselves a home game
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

So an injury ridden Lehigh team can beat a chris gray BU team... but we can’t?! No the team just poops the bed tonight. I’m still annnoyed at the result
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
DocBarrister

Army player does “Arya Challenge” move

Post by DocBarrister »

Yep ... the so-called “Arya Challenge” is actually a thing now.

Here is an Army player’s version:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArmyWP_MLax/ ... index.html

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

An awful game. Poor decisions, poor execution etc. I hope it doesn’t cost Spenser the Tewie. Great player. They don’t show up that often. Next year will be interesting
Farfromgeneva

Re: Army player does “Arya Challenge” move

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:52 am Yep ... the so-called “Arya Challenge” is actually a thing now.

Here is an Army player’s version:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArmyWP_MLax/ ... index.html

DocBarrister 8-)
You’ve referenced GOT like 45 times in the past week. The episode kind of sucked with a 40 minute fight. Theon getting too much love, Brienne/Jamie still alive.

And the whole show is so far from anything people would want to emulate in the real world I dont get the obsession. And I miss the heathen red head that Jon snow was down with even though in reality he wouldve been turned into lunch five seconds after she made eyes at him surrounded by like 75,000 dudes and six women..
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm this offense needs to wake TF up after that atrocious performance... How do you have 5 goals in the shotclock era? How do you have 3 times more turnovers THAN GOALS....

How do you simply not catch a pass.. OR HECK why do you jam it inside for a quick stick when its clearly filled with defenders.

This entire damn team needs to get reamed out, and then woken back the hell up for the tournament (if we even get picked now) because they just cost themselves a home game

I've seen this now too many times this year, where if on the first couple of offensive sets against good defenses, if the Hounds don't score immediately, the rest of the game is decided there and then; we may as well not even play the rest of the game.

For some reason, this team suffers a contagion of bad passing if they go down in a game against a solid defense (think: Duke, BU, Towson, Army). One other note: when we go up against a good defense (and we go down a few), has anyone else noticed that Spencer throttles way back on his energy? On a few settled offensive sets in the second half, he just exhibits zero desire to actually dodge, rather he only wants to pass. That's all well and good if you're simultaneously creating space between you and your defender, necessitating a slide, but he just did the back and forth walk with Surdick, causing zero slides, and therefore no open man. Just a waste of time, which is not how Loyola wins games...either the tempo is up, or we lose.

Our passing last night was junior varsity at best...who tries to thread a pass to a crease where (counted them) five long poles are all outstretched, plus Barretto's as he cheated on crease passes all night long. Dreadful.

BTW, have we actually ever climbed out of a deep deficit this year? I was trying to figure that one out and can't recall a game this year where we actually dug ourselves out of a deep hole. If so, if we haven't made it back from a deficit, that might suggest that we are not, to be perfectly blunt, that good. Stover alone has kept us in at least 6 games by my count, some we won and some we lost (last night another example - if not for Stover, we are blown out of this one). But had Stover not been himself, we'd have lost all six, meaning our record would not be what it is, meaning we simply aren't that good a team.

Again props to Bailey Savio who seems to be the one kid outside Stover who brings his A game to the 'big boy games'. Toomey seemed really dejected after the game, mentioning that this team has failed to deliver in most of the 'big boy games all season'. He knows.
molo

Post by molo »

Hounds peaked in February.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

After digesting last night's result and having more time to calm myself down, i have these things to say about the team..

1. We all know that this team goes as spencer goes. If he's assertive and being his usual self, the team will score goals.

2. Scanlan did not play like the recruit we brought him in to be. He did not play like a member of the national team that took 3rd in the world games. He kept trying to do too much with that "lean in on my defender, spin away with a one handed cradle to then do a shovel pass to absolutely no where". Where is the creativity, smooth play that he was noted to do on the recruiting circuit? Finally, i never understood why he takes so many shots from that left wing with such a small angle. he always shoots low on a sidearm shot. I thought the first rule in shooting is you should change levels to make the goalie move.

3. Spencer himself was trying to do too much, just walking around, trying to own the matchup against Surdick and not really trying to initiate a dodge or draw a slide. Thats where he's dangerous SO RESORT to that.

4. Dodging is so so hard to watch with this team. Duffy initiates, does his patented spin move and throws it around. Brown does an even slower spin move and can't get his hands free. Scanlan does that two skip hop thing to the side before trying to blow by on the right and then gives it off. For an offensive guru like Van Arsdale, you'd think they would have more success at set plays and wheel routes rather than having these guys trying to dodge.

5. The only bright spots offensively these last couple weeks are Olmstead and Lindley. Lindley works super hard to get open with off ball movement. Olmstead shows flashes of whats to come. IF this is an indication of what loyola will look like next year without spencer then good Lord this will be hard to watch.

6. EMO is ATROCIOUS. How many inside feeds did we see last night on EMO and even 6v6 where the ball just hit the carpet after being deflected?!

7. GB play was very very poor. I count 2 defensive Under Armour All Americans on this team with about 3-4 Adrenaline All Americans with a great defensive coach in Matt Dwan. WHy the heck can we not pick up a GB

8. Finally , i never thought i would say this but the defense is playing much much better than the offense and thats ironic considering how much they lost
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”