Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by Wheels »

MDralphie wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:32 am Wheels, it is very interesting how QK et al are forever taking shots at Terps home while always singing the praises about the Dome and the new fields at Michigan, OSU and PSU. The new fields are way too small. I called PSU ticket office to get some seats for Terps game this year and was told they will only sell them at the gate, no pre sale. The stadium is too small but I can hear the announcers claim how great the environment it is with 2000 rabid fans! What I really do not understand is how the Big tourney will be played at these puny venues. For fans like myself who travel, it stinks.
But it's a DOME!!! It's INDOORS! It's just looks cool! Plus that upper deck side of Byrd/Maryland/SECU doesn't look cool.

And, come on! The greatest team in the history of the sport played in the Dome! How dare anyone say the greatest team in the history of the sport played in Byrd?!!!
44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:01 am

Sometimes it takes years for a place to become special, and I would be cautious about throwing that away. I used to consider road trips to Byrd (and NMCS) highlights of the spring.
Tills wouldn't leave that stadium unless Maryland built a 15K-ish seat stadium, which isn't going to happen. It's just odd that so many people, as MDRalphie said above, clamor for Maryland to have a stadium like Panzer or the new OSU stadium when nearly every Terps' home game draws a crowd that exceeds the capacity of those stadiums. Then you get The Rivalry Game, which draws 10K+ pretty often when it's played in College Park.

It would be nice for the Maryland administration to keep the lacrosse history up in the stadium year-round. They use LED field wrapping during the season. At least when you're in the Carrier Dome, you have the lacrosse history up in the rafters year-round.

But I'm with you. There's more than just Maryland lacrosse history in that stadium. There's lacrosse history in that stadium.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

^^^ they shouod remove the upper deck. That would be better for football too. Just charge more for sold out games. It would always look a lot more full. Never should have moved from Cole field house in basketball either. It was iconic and more of a college atmosphere which is a lot of the product. As a businessman I was way more excited to put on my jeans..t-shirt and backwards hat in the hot… sweaty … trough bathroom.. Cole field house with the roar of the crowd rising and ebbing in the grand old barn. Xfinity is just another sterile pro atmosphere bore you can get anywhere.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:53 am
MDralphie wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:32 am Wheels, it is very interesting how QK et al are forever taking shots at Terps home while always singing the praises about the Dome and the new fields at Michigan, OSU and PSU. The new fields are way too small. I called PSU ticket office to get some seats for Terps game this year and was told they will only sell them at the gate, no pre sale. The stadium is too small but I can hear the announcers claim how great the environment it is with 2000 rabid fans! What I really do not understand is how the Big tourney will be played at these puny venues. For fans like myself who travel, it stinks.
But it's a DOME!!! It's INDOORS! It's just looks cool! Plus that upper deck side of Byrd/Maryland/SECU doesn't look cool.

And, come on! The greatest team in the history of the sport played in the Dome! How dare anyone say the greatest team in the history of the sport played in Byrd?!!!

Sometimes it takes years for a place to become special, and I would be cautious about throwing that away. I used to consider road trips to Byrd (and NMCS) highlights of the spring.
Tills wouldn't leave that stadium unless Maryland built a 15K-ish seat stadium, which isn't going to happen. It's just odd that so many people, as MDRalphie said above, clamor for Maryland to have a stadium like Panzer or the new OSU stadium when nearly every Terps' home game draws a crowd that exceeds the capacity of those stadiums. Then you get The Rivalry Game, which draws 10K+ pretty often when it's played in College Park.

It would be nice for the Maryland administration to keep the lacrosse history up in the stadium year-round. They use LED field wrapping during the season. At least when you're in the Carrier Dome, you have the lacrosse history up in the rafters year-round.

But I'm with you. There's more than just Maryland lacrosse history in that stadium. There's lacrosse history in that stadium.
The thing that annoys me most about their criticism of SECU Stadium is when they decide to dunk on BTN Plus broadcast angles every week. Everyone knows it's not ideal, but those broadcasts are student run. It's just a bad look to have the top personalities on the sport bashing something that many times the students working the broadcast have no control over.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jff97 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:04 pm

The thing that annoys me most about their criticism of SECU Stadium is when they decide to dunk on BTN Plus broadcast angles every week. Everyone knows it's not ideal, but those broadcasts are student run. It's just a bad look to have the top personalities on the sport bashing something that many times the students working the broadcast have no control over.
With the ESPN (ACC) vs Fox/CBS (B1G), they're just playing for the home (ESPN) team. The kids are collateral damage. When BTN does the broadcast, they flip the cameras to the other side of the stadium and use more. Those broadcasts are very well done. Plus, I'd take Joe B and Dixie in the booth over the ESPN crew.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Wheels wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:09 pm
jff97 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:04 pm

With the ESPN (ACC) vs Fox/CBS (B1G), they're just playing for the home (ESPN) team. The kids are collateral damage. When BTN does the broadcast, they flip the cameras to the other side of the stadium and use more. Those broadcasts are very well done. Plus, I'd take Joe B and Dixie in the booth over the ESPN crew.
Believe last season Maryland did not let them broadcast from the other side. They did not like that the M logo being shown upside down. But I don’t have an issue with the high camera angles. They let you see the plays develop, low angle are so tight you often miss even a pass from one player to the next player
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For the guys I’ve observed as long fans of MD Football, I was chatting w Jarmo(lowich) today and he was bummed by the passing of Frank Wycheck who I didn’t even remember during college but certainly in the NFL.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:25 pm For the guys I’ve observed as long fans of MD Football, I was chatting w Jarmo(lowich) today and he was bummed by the passing of Frank Wycheck who I didn’t even remember during college but certainly in the NFL.
In college, he was all over the field. They'd use him as a RB. They'd use him as in-line TE. They'd use him in that wing back. He was their best player.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Wheels wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:30 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:25 pm For the guys I’ve observed as long fans of MD Football, I was chatting w Jarmo(lowich) today and he was bummed by the passing of Frank Wycheck who I didn’t even remember during college but certainly in the NFL.
In college, he was all over the field. They'd use him as a RB. They'd use him as in-line TE. They'd use him in that wing back. He was their best player.
I went to College Park the same time as Wycheck and yeah he was basically the offense's swiss army knife. Matchup nightmare.

Can't believe he passed away. Too young. Fell in his house and hit his head...
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Wow! That’s how he passed?! Survived the NFL but a fall kills him…man that is very sad.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

“(Frank Wycheck) threw the lateral pass in the Music City Miracle“

… out of Archbishop Ryan …

“ Wycheck stated that he was certain that he had CTE “

R.I.P.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

The OC job was posted this week with a closing date for today.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Mike Phipps ihas been hired as the next OC
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Home run hire, he was always the best case scenario
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Other coach change is that O'BRANSKI title has changed. He is now listed as an assistant coach. Volunteer has been dropped. I think all the other Big Ten teams have promoted their volunteer coach to a full time position
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Can’t read the whole Baltimore Sun article because it’s behind a paywall but the Navy HC confirmed Phipps departure for Maryland and said
‘I’m happy for Michael that he got what he wanted.’
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The elevation of Tim O'Branski is great. Not only is Tim a great young coach, but it means that Maryland funded that 3rd assistant position. Great for the program.

Phipps is a great hire. Tills wouldn't have hired him away from Georgetown because of how close he is to Warne, but with Phipps at Navy, Tills got his guy.

Phipps is a guy you could see as the next head coach at Maryland when that time comes. Hopefully several years from now!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Phipps is great. Probably should have been the guy last go around, but no harm no foul. Produced multiple elite offenses at Georgetown, really transformed their offense with Bucaro and Carraway back in the day. Knows how to recruit the area, obviously an alum.

I got a massive kick out of Amplo's response when asked about the move: “I’m happy for Michael that he got what he wanted”
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:42 pm Can’t read the whole Baltimore Sun article because it’s behind a paywall but the Navy HC confirmed Phipps departure for Maryland and said
‘I’m happy for Michael that he got what he wanted.’
Hilarious attempt (or lack thereof) to hide the dissatisfaction. Can’t say I blame him though
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Wheels wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:01 pm The elevation of Tim O'Branski is great. Not only is Tim a great young coach, but it means that Maryland funded that 3rd assistant position. Great for the program.

Phipps is a great hire. Tills wouldn't have hired him away from Georgetown because of how close he is to Warne, but with Phipps at Navy, Tills got his guy.

Phipps is a guy you could see as the next head coach at Maryland when that time comes. Hopefully several years from now!
Tills is all about 'be the best'. I can't believe that he'd show deference to any coach if hiring their assistant could help his own team. No one else would show the same courtesy. But not a big deal, great to see a great young lacrosse mind back on campus.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Little brother makes the unofficial announcement and Mike like the post

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1FcdNdrHul ... EzYmMxYg==

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”