Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
lacrosselaxin20

Re: Transfer portal

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

Fischer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:19 pm Anyone hear where Biskup or tierney ended up yet?
Biskup to Vanderbilt.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

She will help vandy. Super quick first step and a real nose for the goal. That’s a good get for Vanderbilt.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:34 am She will help vandy. Super quick first step and a real nose for the goal. That’s a good get for Vanderbilt.
Vanderbilt is a Great school academically. Biskup will help Vandy Lacrosse to a point, but they are a program in Lacrosse purgatory. They will win nothing and do pretty much very little. Mediocrity has been their credo for the past 8-9 years.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

@Larry
There are 120+ programs in d1 women’s lax. Less than 10 have a realistic chance of winning the national championship (and 10 is being very generous).
For 90 percent of all d1 programs, the two objectives are:
1) provide your student athletes with a positive growth and competitive experience while in college
2) be competitive in your conference

Vandy is a middle of the pack program at a top university. Biskup will make them better. And if the program has an alumna group that looks back favorably on their lacrosse experience, then vandy is getting 80 percent of what matters right.

My two cents…
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Is Vandy's women's lax program fully funded?

Realistically, as a team in what is now likely the 3rd toughest conference in the country, 4th in their conference behind JMU, Florida and now USF will be a realistic goal for them. Every day and now, they may get a chance to put an upset of the top teams, but winning their conference is likely beyond what is realistic for that program.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

I don't know..Vandy has had some really good recruiting classes the last few years. It's already extremely attractive for its academics. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they start making some noise sometime soon in the future. They won't win the conference anytime soon but def. pull some upsets consistantly
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

Vandy also getting a transfer from UNC too. It is a myth that they have had quality recruiting classes. Just not the case. Their assistant coaches were all new and they have not advanced the skill set of their recruits. Grads carrying the heavy water. Now the head coach is mining the portal for players to fill in all the holes. Fantastic school, easy sell but terrible conference to advance to tournament.
Dull Thud

Post by Dull Thud »

Do you know who the UNC transfer to Vandy will be?
ThreeSeconds

Post by ThreeSeconds »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:38 pm
Fischer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:19 pm Anyone hear where Biskup or tierney ended up yet?
Biskup to Vanderbilt.
I heard Tierney to ND.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

ThreeSeconds wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:45 am
lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:38 pm
Biskup to Vanderbilt.
I heard Tierney to ND.
Same
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Vanderbilt is a fully funded program, 12 scholarships.

I know the program well, had a daughter who was heavily recruited out of HS, the usual top 5 programs all offered her spots and scholarship money. But she was not interested in attending a large state university and Vanderbilt checked all the boxes she wanted for a school. She went on to an excellent college career by ever measurable metric, on and off the field. She looks back on her college experience and has not a single regret.

I also know, first hand of 5 or 6 real good HS players, from top HS programs, who wanted to attend Vanderbilt the past 5 years and the coaches showed no interest in them. Know their families well and know they were qualified academically, athletically and know money wasn't an issue. All of these girls ended up at top 20 programs and all were starters and significant contributors to their teams. They would have been difference makers at Vanderbilt and Vanderbilt would have surely had a lot more W's if these young women were on the roster.

I don't think the coaching staff at Vanderbilt is very strong as far as developing players. I agree with Larry that the program is stuck and not getting better. The school is a real good one in a real fun city. I scratch my head often and wonder why they don't have more success on the field, but then I say, why do I really care. My daughter went there to receive a top notch education and mature and learn and help get a firm foundation for her future. She accomplished all of those and I am very proud of the young women she is.

In my simple world there is a lot more to college sports than winning championships. Maybe I am old school :)
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

Delaney Rodriguez-Shaw from Duquesne to UMass Amherst. She had a very strong 1st year and decent 2nd. Should be interesting to see what she does there.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:34 pm Vanderbilt is a fully funded program, 12 scholarships.

I know the program well, had a daughter who was heavily recruited out of HS, the usual top 5 programs all offered her spots and scholarship money. But she was not interested in attending a large state university and Vanderbilt checked all the boxes she wanted for a school. She went on to an excellent college career by ever measurable metric, on and off the field. She looks back on her college experience and has not a single regret.

I also know, first hand of 5 or 6 real good HS players, from top HS programs, who wanted to attend Vanderbilt the past 5 years and the coaches showed no interest in them. Know their families well and know they were qualified academically, athletically and know money wasn't an issue. All of these girls ended up at top 20 programs and all were starters and significant contributors to their teams. They would have been difference makers at Vanderbilt and Vanderbilt would have surely had a lot more W's if these young women were on the roster.

I don't think the coaching staff at Vanderbilt is very strong as far as developing players. I agree with Larry that the program is stuck and not getting better. The school is a real good one in a real fun city. I scratch my head often and wonder why they don't have more success on the field, but then I say, why do I really care. My daughter went there to receive a top notch education and mature and learn and help get a firm foundation for her future. She accomplished all of those and I am very proud of the young women she is.

In my simple world there is a lot more to college sports than winning championships. Maybe I am old school :)
Thanks for this. Good perspective and good post.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

lacrossemwj wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:42 pm Delaney Rodriguez-Shaw from Duquesne to UMass Amherst. She had a very strong 1st year and decent 2nd. Should be interesting to see what she does there.
Best player on an awful team I hope she succeeds That had to be frustrating
LaxThoughts

Post by LaxThoughts »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:34 pm Vanderbilt is a fully funded program, 12 scholarships.

Fully agree with this perspective. And can echo Vanderbilt's coaching staff's past lack of recruiting efforts. During our club years, Vandy bewildered the club leadership by an almost complete lack of responsiveness even to highly-sought candidates.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Stated well. School came first in my daughter’s college selection. Very proud of how she approached recruiting. I hope she has the same experience as your daughter. Thanks for the post.
Last edited by VAMomGlax2019 on Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:47 pm

Thanks for this. Good perspective and good post.
+1
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Where is Lopinto most likely to go. She is obviously visiting several schools.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:51 pm Where is Lopinto most likely to go. She is obviously visiting several schools.
Not sure this is relevant but Maryland follows her on Instagram and most of their follows are of current or former players. Don't have any inside info but just thought it was curious. I know someone a few weeks ago said she was visiting College Park. Ball to MD is also official now as she has it in her Instagram bio.
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

lacrossemwj wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:42 pm Delaney Rodriguez-Shaw from Duquesne to UMass Amherst. She had a very strong 1st year and decent 2nd. Should be interesting to see what she does there.
She's from Longmeadow, so she'll be much closer to home at UMass - a 40 minute drive versus 8+ hours. She's a great young lady and I'm glad she'll be playing for a stronger program.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”