Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

Post by OCanada »

Laxinmay wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:50 am With Sean Kirwan taking the Dartmouth job who is the next group of assistants to be considered?

Duke, ND seem to be a year or two away from coaching changes. One just won the National Championship the other competed for it, would they both promote from within?
I heard talk Dano wants his son to have it. I also heard mot everyone is enthusiastic about it. That said, i do not know how credible it all is
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Laxinmay wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:50 am With Sean Kirwan taking the Dartmouth job who is the next group of assistants to be considered?

Duke, ND seem to be a year or two away from coaching changes. One just won the National Championship the other competed for it, would they both promote from within?
what makes you believe notre dame is a year or 2 away from a coaching change?
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:52 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:19 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:18 pm

Who are the top candidates for this job?

If this was the new ADs decision my guess is that he is taking his current HC with him.

If it’s the current ADs call or input

They are looking to go the classic Mount root(hire alumni) their options are really limited.

Joe Connor(Former Dartmouth AC, former Mount Assistant and player)
TC Dibartolo Current McDaniel HC, former Mount Assistant and player)

This is a very bizarre situation especially with Gravantes son in the portal
Conner would seem a natural candidate I would think
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:10 am I don't think I'm misstating when I say optimism was growing about recruiting success among the guys here who really follow Dartmouth, so dumping the whole coaching staff, endangering the guys in the pipeline just when the program seemed to be getting its nose above water is pretty ballsy. Or stupid.
So, landed on "ballsy", right? ;)

My sense is that our AD knew what he was doing. Very swift process.

Everything I've heard so far is that the best of the pipeline will stick and there may be some new looks from Sean's contacts.

I haven't heard yet who the assistants will be, but my hunch again is that they will bring their own pipelines.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:23 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:10 am I don't think I'm misstating when I say optimism was growing about recruiting success among the guys here who really follow Dartmouth, so dumping the whole coaching staff, endangering the guys in the pipeline just when the program seemed to be getting its nose above water is pretty ballsy. Or stupid.
So, landed on "ballsy", right? ;)

My sense is that our AD knew what he was doing. Very swift process.

Everything I've heard so far is that the best of the pipeline will stick and there may be some new looks from Sean's contacts.

I haven't heard yet who the assistants will be, but my hunch again is that they will bring their own pipelines.
The right move/hire actually can be a meaningful accelerant. Ie keeping the top recruits and yanking some diamonds from the recruiting trial at prior stop created a 2 yr run of stocked classes. So keep the kids you’ve got and slip in another 1-2 3-4 star caliber (as the expected output not the IL system) to what’s been built and you could see a run towards at a min some ILT competitive play. Subsequent to a couple year run you need the administrative complex to maintain pace and not ease up in areas like admissions or the run can look like a Colgate or few others who drop back. (It was more than Baum there and other examples of a 3-6yr run and then settling back into LT trend - like on the field need to keep the boot on the neck when leading and not going into prevent and watch the gains dissipate)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:33 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:18 pm Maybe he thought it was time time?
Doesn't sound like this was his decision

If this was the new ADs decision my guess is that he is taking his current HC with him.

They are looking to go the classic Mount root(hire alumni) their options are really limited.

Presume when talking “classic Mount” you are referring to other sports since he had been there nearly 30yrs (since 1995).
My stepson looked at The Mount when he was going through the recruiting process we got a good picture of how the school operates . If you look at the faculty and staff(including athletics) they have a history of hiring from within or people with a Mount connection. Obviously new AD will be different but you cannot deny the school tends to bring back it’s own
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

The Mount should go after current Navy OC Mike Phipps! He knows the regional hotbeds for talent well. He has had good runs at Navy, Georgetown(was associate head coach there), and High Point. He also knows the Mount program well, as he coached against it while both at Navy and Georgetown.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:18 pm Maybe he thought it was time time?
Doesn't sound like this was his decision

Heard the President was the one to make the call, not the AD. And I think there's more to the story than just being fired.
118:24 #HHH
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

The first line of the AD's press release says he starts Aug. 1
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

shaadb-man wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:11 pm The first line of the AD's press release says he starts Aug. 1
The new AD would 100% be brought up to speed on something like this
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Chris Jastrzembski twitter
UNC opening
“ I'm told Air Force associate head coach Jon Thompson will take over as an assistant with North Carolina, per multiple sources.”

UVA opening
“ Furthermore, I'm told there is also movement with the vacant assistant role at Virginia which was previously held by Dartmouth head coach Sean Kirwan.

One of the names I've heard could create another head coach opening at a Division I school.”
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:26 pm Per Chris Jastrzembski twitter
UNC opening
“ I'm told Air Force associate head coach Jon Thompson will take over as an assistant with North Carolina, per multiple sources.”

UVA opening
“ Furthermore, I'm told there is also movement with the vacant assistant role at Virginia which was previously held by Dartmouth head coach Sean Kirwan.

One of the names I've heard could create another head coach opening at a Division I school.”
Hmmm. Thompson coached as OC under Lars for at least 2 years at Brown, but potentially goes to UNC as OC when Virginia needs one also.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Wow! Is Dave Pietramala to Mount St. Mary's really a possibility?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:24 pm Wow! Is Dave Pietramala to Mount St. Mary's really a possibility?
where did u hear that?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:24 pm Wow! Is Dave Pietramala to Mount St. Mary's really a possibility?
No
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

UNC opening

UVA opening

JL Reppert, maybe, from Holy Cross to UVA?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:37 pm
UNC opening

UVA opening

That is definitely a thought!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:22 am
UNC opening

UVA opening

IMO, too soon, unless HC is just a brutal place to work.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:35 am
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:22 am
UNC opening

UVA opening

IMO, too soon, unless HC is just a brutal place to work.
From what I have heard, HC may not offer scholarships.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”