Recruiting, the exact science

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Recruiting, the exact science

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:14 pm :lol:

He was offered and accepted that week. Coach and player happy. Good ending for all.
Good kid. But it’s been tough as the market adjusts. As I’ve mentioned before, it’s a tough for these kids with grad students and covid years. A few years ago, this player would have had coaches beating down his door. Fewer opportunities for now. Hopefully it opens up in a year or two.
Hobart has a mandate to pull in more athletes currently. And brand new never allowed before schollie money. In my world you go where the money is. Just saying it smells green with a hint of purple and Orange on the northern end of Seneca lake.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

He was offered and accepted that week. Coach and player happy. Good ending for all.
Good kid. But it’s been tough as the market adjusts. As I’ve mentioned before, it’s a tough for these kids with grad students and covid years. A few years ago, this player would have had coaches beating down his door. Fewer opportunities for now. Hopefully it opens up in a year or two.
Same can be said for the kids that committed prior to Covid. Getting to the school and there’s 23/24 year olds still playing,
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

laxdad1434 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:45 am

Same can be said for the kids that committed prior to Covid. Getting to the school and there’s 23/24 year olds still playing,
Now its 24/25 year olds.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

covid effectively rolls off this year. save for the '22s who pg'd to '23 and those are primarily the lower tier recruits of a school. and a smallish group of '19/23s who were frosh in '20 and will be invited back in '24. if you choose to be part of the game, you're in the game.

rosters were 50-60 prior to covid. plenty of spots. just bring your checkbook.

edited above.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:27 pm A d1 coach had a choice of a couple kids for a spot that just opened up.
He called and asked if one of my '23s was a good kid.
I told him he was just like the '20 I sent him a few years ago.
He knows how we run our hs program. That's all he needed to hear, sight unseen.
For the good and bad, that's how it happens, sometimes.
this is how I remember it basically working in the late 70's / early 80's. Maybe it was just my coach.

the network was tight. high school coaches and college coaches all knew each other. High school coaches basically "placed" their players. They knew where you "fit" and where could start, have a shot at walking on, or had no chance at all. Their word was 95% of what the college coach required to recruit you.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:12 am

Now its 24/25 year olds.
The 22 year old on our team in college was called "gramps."
He'd be called "rookie" today.
Stiffler

Post by Stiffler »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:18 am

Now its 24/25 year olds.
It's turning into hockey w/o Juniors or the chance to be drafted. I interviewed a candidate for a job over the Summer who was a 24 years old ex collegiate athlete who had just graduated last Spring. I took the 25 year old instead who had 2.5 years of experience.
Typical Lax Dad

Stiffler wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:12 pm

Now its 24/25 year olds.
It's turning into hockey w/o Juniors or the chance to be drafted. I interviewed a candidate for a job over the Summer who was a 24 years old ex collegiate athlete who had just graduated last Spring. I took the 25 year old instead who had 2.5 years of experience.
I don’t mind the old kid graduating….But I will never understand calling a kid a 5 star player that is 18 months older than a lot of 10th graders he’s out there playing against. You get what you deserve…..I saw ranking of top 10 players entering college. 5 from the same club? I don’t buy it.

Post by 1766 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:27 pm

Now its 24/25 year olds.
I don’t mind the old kid graduating….But I will never understand calling a kid a 5 star player that is 18 months older than a lot of 10th graders he’s out there playing against. You get what you deserve…..I saw ranking of top 10 players entering college. 5 from the same club? I don’t buy it.
I don't either.

OSU has an incoming player next year that I believe will be 20 years old. As a freshman. He's a supposed 5 star. Put him one class ahead, much less two, and I don't think he gets near that type of publicity.

This all isn't lost on some coaching staffs. They are starting to question ages not classes. Playing two grades below your class in high school especially can really make someone shine. 16 and 18 or 19 is a huge difference at that stage of development.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Now its 24/25 year olds.
heard fairfield cty kids are gonna be top recruits come hell or high water.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:04 pm

Now its 24/25 year olds.
heard fairfield cty kids are gonna be top recruits come hell or high water.
It’s amazing how much better the players are now. Really amazing.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:05 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... osse/60381

Some sanity perhaps
club operators probably not going to be the biggest advocates, it seems. usalax fully went along with this even creating their own tournaments and promo (and insurance).

it sounds like they'll do youth because clubs can't promote recruiting @ middle school kids anymore. slimy bunch, i had trouble reading those club guys. b silcott's a stand up guy.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:57 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:05 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... osse/60381

Some sanity perhaps
club operators probably not going to be the biggest advocates, it seems. usalax fully went along with this even creating their own tournaments and promo (and insurance).

it sounds like they'll do youth because clubs can't promote recruiting @ middle school kids anymore. slimy bunch, i had trouble reading those club guys. b silcott's a stand up guy.
Talked to a club guy who said he sent a small 2025 go down to play with his 2026s because they needed one more….Looked like best player on the field but is Just average on the 2025. Let this coaches wonder why kids stink when they land.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:29 pm

Some sanity perhaps

Talked to a club guy who said he sent a small 2025 go down to play with his 2026s because they needed one more….Looked like best player on the field but is Just average on the 2025. Let this coaches wonder why kids stink when they land.
so those youngins played with 10 guys? impressive.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:00 pm

Some sanity perhaps

They had no “lefty attack” so he was the “one” sent down to play that specialty spot. I didn’t ask him why he didn’t just play what he had. It came up when I told him it’s easy to look good playing down and he relayed the story from a recent weekend of more club lacrosse….

BTW, he mentioned he trained your guy 3-4 hours a week over the Summer.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:11 pm

Some sanity perhaps

They had no “lefty attack” so he was the “one” sent down to play that specialty spot. I didn’t ask him why he didn’t just play what he had. It came up when I told him it’s easy to look good playing down and he relayed the story from a recent weekend of more club lacrosse….

i wouldn't be able to mute myself. it's a very weird ecosystem. parents and coaches and operators too often are caricatures.
FCCTlaxFan

Post by FCCTlaxFan »

Some sanity perhaps

Fall Lacrosse is strange. If the 2025 took playing time away from a 2026 it is pretty bad as it just means the 2026 team wanted to win. If the 2026 team really need a body then so be it. Hopefully the defensive players covering the lefty attackman got better and had a fun playing against him.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

FCCTlaxFan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:35 am

Some sanity perhaps

Fall Lacrosse is strange. If the 2025 took playing time away from a 2026 it is pretty bad as it just means the 2026 team wanted to win. If the 2026 team really need a body then so be it. Hopefully the defensive players covering the lefty attackman got better and had a fun playing against him.
they didn't need a body. they had enough guys.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:17 am
FCCTlaxFan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:35 am

Some sanity perhaps

they didn't need a body. they had enough guys.
+100

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”