NCAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Nosey Ned

Re: NCAC 2023

Post by Nosey Ned »

oldtimelax wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:42 pm Congratulations to the Kenyon Owls with a hard fought win over Battling Bishops, 12-10. Owls jumped off to an early 6-0 lead and dominated the game for 12 minutes extending into the 2Q. Bishops were very sloppy on offense with lots of unforced turnovers. Amacher got the Bishops going in the 2Q and the Bishops cut the margin to 6-3 before Kenyon countered with a man-up goal by McCartee and a nice finish by Chintala with a minute left. Then OWU's Joey Wiseman scored on a beautiful feed with seconds left to make it a 8-4 deficit heading for the half. The 3Q was dominated by the Bishops with a 4-0 scoring burst to tie the game heading into the 4Q, with two goals from Amacher. The Owls regrouped and won the 4Q 4-2 to seal the win.

Kenyon was the better team, with the decided edge on ground balls, shots, shots on goal and turnovers. Face-offs were even overall, but Kenyon had the advantage in the 4Q after Citek got a penalty for too many false starts. Kenyon's offense moved the ball better and their defense was able to keep the Bishops from having any kind of inside scoring threat. The Bishops looked good in the 2nd-3rd quarters, but had too many letdowns to win against a team as good as the Owls. Nathan George had a solid effort for the Bishops in the nets with 15 saves.

Good luck to Kenyon against Denison....hope it's a great game!
Hey Old … congratulations to the Bishops on a hard fought game. They played tough to the end and didn’t fold when they once again found themselves in an early hole. A quick read of the recap from OWU side, supports what you have been saying. Every player mentioned, was either a 1st year or Sophomore - this is indeed a young team that gained invaluable experience this year. I suspect OWU will be back battling for the Championship in earnest next year and beyond. Good luck to your team in the offseason. Looking forward to taking up our positions again next year.
redhoya

Post by redhoya »

Laxgopher69 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:06 am To BIGDAWG
CC:laxrat2000

BIGDAWG, like laxrat200, I too matriculated at and proudly graduated, sans distinction, from Kenyon College. I have long wondered what your affiliation with Wooster is. You write with far more coherence both in terms of prose and subject matter than I thought possible of a Wooster alum, and find it unlikely that an alum would jump ship like you have following the devastating collapse which the Scots suffered in the latter half of this season. I have seen your comments on this forum, and, while admittedly often shocked at the erroneous and far fetched nature of your comments, have been, to say the least, impressed with your resumé as a forum troll. I do not underestimate your ability as a troll, and, while hesitant to do so, laud your skills and ability. I too agree that the booger man must fall. His patrician ways have poisoned this forum and conference for far too long. I see you as a mercenary of sorts, a rogue. While this term has historically carried with it a negative connotation, bringing to mind Hessian savages who fought side by side with the redcoats to suppress liberty, solely in the pursuit of coinage, I see a place for you in this forum and in the NCAC. What I offer to you is not coinage but rather glory, a place in history. While I echo some sentiments of my fellow ex-lord now owl, laxrat2000, I personally hope you remain engaged in this forum. Fighting the good fight, against the suppressors. Down with Dennison! Down with OWU! While a rising tide may lift all ships, few ships no matter how strong can whether a tsunami, and, if memory serves, the last time a ship was hailed as unsinkable, as some, BOOGER MAN in particular, see Dennison, it struck an iceberg resulting in the deaths of 1,517 individuals (I used US estimates, the English have bad teeth and are weak). I see this weekend as pivotal, both in terms of NCAC lacrosse and your perception (will it be as a crazed madman intent on causing chaos or a rebel fighting the good fight against the powers that be). I offer you an opportunity, an opportunity to unite against booger man and Dennison. The choice is yours.

Best,
Gopher
So, Gopher, while I agree with your appreciation of Bigdawg’s amusing, if generally overly aggressive and largely inaccurate, prose, I am concerned that a Kenyon grad is deficient in spelling—-especially because of the proximity of the subject campuses. It is Denison, not Dennison.

Good luck in the finals, but Go Big Red!
Laxgopher69

Post by Laxgopher69 »

Hoya, you are correct. Egg is on my face. Still, down with Denison!
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

Weird ChatGBT comments have entered the chat?

Taking it back to very simplistic terms, does Kenyon get in to the NCAA tourney if they lose in the NCAC final? I think their record and a win over Denison would get them in, but there are 5–10 other teams fighting for an at-large bid.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

If kenyon gets an at large bid then I have serious questions about the selection process for the tournament. They have that nice win over Denison and have a great record, but their strength of schedule is not good. Which brings me to my point of I don't know if strength of schedule even matters looking at some of the regional rankings, it's just wins and losses
redhoya

Post by redhoya »

I think the NCAC will remain a one bid conference until the Ohio schools are more regularly competitive in their OOC games against Northeastern and Midwestern teams.
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

That makes sense, but I think the way SOS is calculated for selection doesn’t factor in opponents rankings, it’s just win-loss records of your opponents and their opponents. They also look at regionally ranked wins. All that said, if Owls lose in the final but still get into the tourney, expect some serious noise from the NESCAC/Liberty/Centennial boards (and York fans). The strength/depth of those conferences is such that a top 20 team might be 3rd in conference and miss the bracket.

Adding in the link to the Inside Lacrosse D3 bracketology piece. Looks like loser of Kenyon/Denison is on the “scary side of the bubble” so it’s most likely win or go home.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ent-/61392
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

IMHO …. it’s the AQ way or no way for both Denison and Kenyon. Good luck to both teams.

I’m calling it 13-10 Denison. In a back and forth contest, the Big Red’s depth and dual FOGO success give them enough possessions to hold off a game Owl squad.

Go Big Red - go earn the AQ and keep the streak alive.
Laxgopher69

Post by Laxgopher69 »

LordRaider,

I sincerely am bereft as a result of your accusation, implying I employed the use of ChatGPT. This is not an accusation I take lightly. You as an alum should know that Kenyon, a writer's college, produces upstanding citizens who can write with the best of 'em. We must remain united as Owls fans, a parliament (group of owls for you dullards who don't know) divided against itself cannot stand. Down with Dennison! Down with Ned! Down with the NCAC boys club and old guard! The proletariate shall rise.

On a lacrosse note, I too agree the Owls must win tomorrow if they want to make it to the big dance. Strength of schedule has historically been shown to be too important in the selection process to warrant an at large bid if they do not emerge victorious.

Best wishes,
Gopher
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

Gopher- My apologies for mistaking a good old-fashioned verbal extravaganza for ChatGPT. Express yourself freely on this board! But let us all remember that brevity is an important component of good writing. Furthermore, let us spell Denison properly; they’ve certainly earned that. Lastly, we can’t say “down with Ned” as he is the primary content provider on the board. All that said- Go Owls!
BigRed73

Post by BigRed73 »

DIVISION III MEN'S LACROSSE CHAMPIONSHIP

National Participation
There are 245 NCAA member institutions that sponsor Division III Men’s Lacrosse teams and are eligible to compete in the National Championship. All 245 programs support approximately 8,400 Men's Lacrosse student-athletes across the country.

Selection Process
The Division III Men’s Lacrosse Committee is charged with selecting the field of teams and assembling the championship bracket. The Division III Committee is comprised of five members, made up of coaches and administrators.

The NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Championship provides for a 38-team single-elimination tournament.

The Division III Men’s Lacrosse Committee will select teams to the championship based on the following selection principals:
After the determination of the automatic berths (Pool A), the committee will determine the Pool B selections followed by the Pool C selections. Pool B is reserved for independent institutions and institutions that are members of conferences that do not receive automatic qualification. The number of eligible institutions in Pool B is determined by subtracting the number of eligible institutions in Pool A (total number of institutions in conferences with automatic qualification) from the total number of active Division III institutions sponsoring the sport. Pool B = (number of independents and non-qualifying conference members) divided by (the access ratio for Pool A) - the result truncated to the nearest whole number (e.g., 5.61 truncates to 5). Berths from Pools B and C will be selected on a national basis, using regional selection criteria. There will be no predetermined regional allocations for Pools B and C.

To be considered during the selection process for either an automatic berth (Pool A) or an at-large berth (Pool B and Pool C), an institution must play at least 70 percent of its competition against Division III in-region opponents, unless a waiver has been approved by the Division III Championships Committee.

DIVISION III SELECTION CRITERIA:
Primary Criteria - The primary criteria for selection (all contests leading up to NCAA Championships); all criteria listed will be evaluated (not listed in priority order)
• Won-lost percentage against Division III opponents.
• Division III head-to-head competition.
• Results versus common Division III opponents.
• Results versus ranked Division III teams as established by the final rankings and the rankings preceding the final rankings. Conference postseason contests are included.
• Division III strength of schedule.
- Opponents’ Average Winning Percentage (OWP) 2/3 weight.
- Opponents’ Opponents’ Average Winning Percentage (OOWP) 1/3 weight.
Secondary Criteria - If the evaluation of the primary criteria does not result in a decision, the secondary criteria will be reviewed. All the criteria listed will be evaluated (not listed in priority order). The secondary criteria introduce results versus opponents from other classifications.
• Non-Division III win-loss percentage.
• Results versus common non-Division III opponents.
• Division III nonconference strength of schedule.

Selection Show | May 7, 2023
The NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Championships bracket will be announced May 7.
BigRed73

Post by BigRed73 »

There are 28 AQs and only 10 total at large slots. I’d be shocked if the loser of the Big Red/Owls rematch gets in.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Wow.

What a game :shock:

Congrats to Denison for resilience and coming back from 10-3
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
redhoya

Post by redhoya »

Big Red 14 - Kenyon 13. NCAC Champions!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Wow. You could say that tradition wins out. Two 1-goal games between these teams, with Denison finding a way to win the one that really matters. It would be great for the NCAC if the Big Red can make some noise in the NCAAs, pull off an upset or two.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Wow …. another instant classic NCAC final! Congratulations to Kenyon on a fantastic season. Hopefully it’s not over for the Owls and the powers that be treat us to the potential of a third game between these 2 teams this season. If so, it’ll be a must stream for any true D3 fan.

Way to go Big Red and way to not give in, and not give up. It was a, win the next FO, next GB, next play and get the next goal attitude which allowed you to came back from down 7 at the break after a very flat first half. You proved to be true Champions and Kenyon certainly made you earn it. They came to play.

Learn from this, get ready and go have some fun in NCAA’s!

Congratulations as well to the Women’s Big Red Lacrosse team … NCAC Champs as well.
redhoya

Post by redhoya »

Kenyon is a very good team. While a second NCAAT bid for the NCAC is unlikely, the Owls would be worthy of an at large spot.
Laxgopher69

Post by Laxgopher69 »

Ned, I sincerely agree with your analysis. Congrats to the Big Red. They played a tremendous second half. I hope the owls do get an at large bid. This senior class of Owls has been remarkable, battling through adversity and bringing the program to the next level. Good luck to the big red in the tourney, hope they can represent the NCAC well.

Best,
Gopher
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Fingers crossed they both get in - I'd rather Kenyon than #4 NESCAC. Grow the game.

Going forward Kenyon needs to step up their schedule a bit; like Grove City for example.

Ned; Best wishes to Big Red. In June maybe I'll ping you for a candid assessment of the new coaching staff.

In the meantime there's a pair of 22EEE red cleats somewhere in the stadium.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:54 pm Fingers crossed they both get in - I'd rather Kenyon than #4 NESCAC. Grow the game.

Going forward Kenyon needs to step up their schedule a bit; like Grove City for example.

Ned; Best wishes to Big Red. In June maybe I'll ping you for a candid assessment of the new coaching staff.

In the meantime there's a pair of 22EEE red cleats somewhere in the stadium.
Thanks MrLax. Congratulations and best of luck to the Gulls. I won’t be at all surprised to see your team playing on Memorial Day weekend as this is Coach Bs time of year!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”