Cornell 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
another fan

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by another fan »

Nice that Piatelli had a wrap around with each hand.
Bigredlaxfan

Post by Bigredlaxfan »

One more point.....Cornell has more depth(especially at midfield) this year. Leigh just could not keep up the pace in the second half. Terrific win!
Laxnuthin

Post by Laxnuthin »

CU77 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:09 pm Just watched the first 3 quarters. FO is the big issue, obviously. Not sure what Lehigh was trying to do on D, but they did not try the SOT.

Attendance of 342 for the home opener of a top-10 team is just sad.
Rain before game time, 45 degrees and windy with a severe weather watch for winds as high as 50 mph probably kept a few folks home watching on TV. Not many, since the town and campus are very quiet, but some.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Deleted
Last edited by faircornell on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Deleted
Last edited by Gobigred on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Deleted
Last edited by faircornell on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

By the way so far my experience with the Ivy League network on ESPN+ is very good, I like the conference identity while leveraging the distribution scale of ESPN.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxjuris wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:15 pm Now just waiting for Joe Willie’s game report. I’m sure he must’ve been one of the 350 or so hearty souls who made it to the game!
Oh You bet I was there, and this was such a gutcheck for this team and here's my observations:

1. This team just NEVER gets down on themselves. Even when down 5-0, you could see the attitude was like nice run Lehigh, but we got 4 quarters ro show how good we are, and they just kept fighting until their incredible depth and talent just took over the game.
2. Bullen was LIGHTS OUT in the 2nd half and especially the 4th quarter when he put up a goose egg, and made great save after great save. You could see his confidence growing with every save.
3. Teat/Piatelli/Petterson, the TPP line, I will put up against ANY attack in the country. Piatelli jas taken it to a new level and his moves from behind the net are amazing to watch. The chemistry with these 3 is in mid-season form.
4.Salvatore was a monster, and Bray had his usual amazing game and was all over the field.
5.Close D was out of sorts and making poor slide decisions early but were in lockdown mode late causing some amazing forced turnovers.
6. They are clearing like beasts and it starts with great decisions by Bullen, he is much more aggressive in attacking the other teams ride and then making the quick pass.
7. Man Down D was great. Great Communication, and getting in passing lanes
OK, now where we need improvement:
1. FOGO but Raz when healthy should help with this issue
2. To many turnovers, many unforced
3.Need to watch the clock a little, not much of a big issue but still ran out a few times
4. Man Up still a little shaky, as maybe they are pressing a bit when a man-up.

Look, Hobart and Lehigh are two very good teams who had MULTIPLE games under their belt, so in my opinion, these were 2 very good wins, that the red should build on. No worries on this Big Red Fan's part as the parts that need work are easily fixable, and the parts that are working are among the best in the country. This year has the feel of the Pannell injury year where we started 9-0, ranked #1 and Robbie got injured. In fact this team may actually, depth-wise be a little deeper than that team.
All is good with the the BIG RED.

GO BIG RED
JoeWillie78
CU77

Post by CU77 »

johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

RedIvy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:11 am By the way so far my experience with the Ivy League network on ESPN+ is very good, I like the conference identity while leveraging the distribution scale of ESPN.
Wonderful announcer, great play by play in this one.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:35 pm
RedIvy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:11 am By the way so far my experience with the Ivy League network on ESPN+ is very good, I like the conference identity while leveraging the distribution scale of ESPN.
Yes, we're lucky to have Cornell Big Red announcer Barry Leonard.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Hi Joe Willie! As a note, I was in Ithaca recently. I was very impressed with the restoration of the Chapter House.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Deleted
DMac

Post by DMac »

Trumansburger wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:30 pm
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:35 pm
Yes, we're lucky to have Cornell Big Red announcer Barry Leonard.
Barry's been around for a number of years at this point, does a good job, does his homework, bleeds red...a little Red Dragon red too.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Barry's an Ithaca College grad, but his daughter is a Cortland grad, so I'm not sure if his loyalty is dividef.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, his little volleyballer daughter went to Cortland, hard core Big Red lacrosse fan though. Not much of a Cuse lax fan...to put it very mildly.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

faircornell wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:28 pm Hi Joe Willie! As a note, I was in Ithaca recently. I was very impressed with the restoration of the Chapter House.
I'll have to go check it out. Havent been there in a long time but spent many, many, many hours there as an undergrad. Great bar back then with all the pinball machines and pool table.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Something to review on the Cornell - Lehigh highlight clips:
-Leading up to Cornell's 1st goal, Pettersen appears to grab his defender's stick and toss it behind the play.....and then cuts, wide open, to the top of the crease and scores. The defender is left in Pettersen's wake lifting his hands in protest.

-My thoughts on Barry Leonard - an excellent generalist play-by-play guy. While he's a Cornell guy in terms of his personal support, IMO he calls the game objectively and rarely crosses the line. His voice is distinctive and easy on the listener. We're also lucky to have an excellent analyst in Tom LaFalce.
Mr. Webber

Post by Mr. Webber »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:32 pm My thoughts on Barry Leonard - an excellent generalist play-by-play guy. While he's a Cornell guy in terms of his personal support, IMO he calls the game objectively and rarely crosses the line. His voice is distinctive and easy on the listener. We're also lucky to have an excellent analyst in Tom LaFalce.
I love Barry Leonard. His voice is comfort food to me. He is the true heir of the guy who will always be the radio voice of Cornell lacrosse that I hear in my head: Eric Friedlieb. It makes sense, because Eric was a mentor of sorts to Barry back in the day at IC. Eric now goes by Eric Reid and is the voice of the Miami Heat on Fox Sports Sun. If you want some Cornell lacrosse nostalgia, listen to his calls of Heat games. It's time travel.

The only thing that triggers me about Barry's broadcasts -- and I admit I'm OCD about this -- is when he says "fans on the shot" as a synonym for electing not to shoot as opposed to its (original?) hockey meaning of whiffing on the shot.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:32 pm Something to review on the Cornell - Lehigh highlight clips:
-Leading up to Cornell's 1st goal, Pettersen appears to grab his defender's stick and toss it behind the play.....and then cuts, wide open, to the top of the crease and scores. The defender is left in Pettersen's wake lifting his hands in protest.

-My thoughts on Barry Leonard - an excellent generalist play-by-play guy. While he's a Cornell guy in terms of his personal support, IMO he calls the game objectively and rarely crosses the line. His voice is distinctive and easy on the listener. We're also lucky to have an excellent analyst in Tom LaFalce.
Absolutely.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”