THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Resurrection Post Interment?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Congrats to the Jays who battled Mount Union to a 28 to 20 loss. https://www.d3football.com/playoffs/201 ... ount-union salut1
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

That is amazing. Great year for them
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

AreaLax wrote:
steel_hop wrote:
HopFan16 wrote:Yep. Mount St. Mary's replaces UMBC.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/RAgko0f7LVYof/

Anyone know why the Big Ten changed the alternating home/away pattern? We're at Michigan and Penn State for the second straight year, while we get Ohio State at home again. Early homecoming this year against Rutgers on April 6.

4 of the first 5 games are away from Homewood. But then 3 in a row and 5 of the next 6 are at Homewood. Ending the season with trips to PSU and UMD. Second straight year of only 2 conference games at home.
has this questioned been answered why Hopkins is playing at MD and PSU two years in a row. The rivalry tweet doesn't really ring true to me. You can do that without flipping home/away trips.
Sorry I can’t find the actual source but one reason was to have Michigan only travel to Maryland once a season.
I guess that makes some sense in the abstract and I am not surprising in the least the the B1G is kowtowing to UM - happens in other sports in the conference but really is that expensive for a school with an athletic operating budget of $185 million can't afford to bus their kids to MD once a year.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

steel_hop wrote:
AreaLax wrote:
steel_hop wrote:
HopFan16 wrote:Yep. Mount St. Mary's replaces UMBC.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/RAgko0f7LVYof/

Anyone know why the Big Ten changed the alternating home/away pattern? We're at Michigan and Penn State for the second straight year, while we get Ohio State at home again. Early homecoming this year against Rutgers on April 6.

4 of the first 5 games are away from Homewood. But then 3 in a row and 5 of the next 6 are at Homewood. Ending the season with trips to PSU and UMD. Second straight year of only 2 conference games at home.
has this questioned been answered why Hopkins is playing at MD and PSU two years in a row. The rivalry tweet doesn't really ring true to me. You can do that without flipping home/away trips.
Sorry I can’t find the actual source but one reason was to have Michigan only travel to Maryland once a season.
I guess that makes some sense in the abstract and I am not surprising in the least the the B1G is kowtowing to UM - happens in other sports in the conference but really is that expensive for a school with an athletic operating budget of $185 million can't afford to bus their kids to MD once a year.
Two 10 hour bus rides would be pretty brutal but, two 90 minute flights are not too bad. No doubt they can afford the airfare if we can.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

LaxPower - one of the LaxPower originals passed away today. Bob Fortenbough who was known on LaxPower as Lax Fi, Jersey Joe, Jack of Hearts, Weems Creek Weenie and about 12 more. A great lax fan and friend to many of us.RIP.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Oh no- sad news.
Prayers to his family and many friends.
A gentleman. He will be missed.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

sad news...

Rest In Peace Bob. Really good guy.
Hopkins34

Post by Hopkins34 »

Very sad news . A great Hopkins Lax fan and Alumni.
RIP Bob
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

OCanada wrote:LaxPower - one of the LaxPower originals passed away today. Bob Fortenbough who was known on LaxPower as Lax Fi, Jersey Joe, Jack of Hearts, Weems Creek Weenie and about 12 more. A great lax fan and friend to many of us.RIP.
Thanks. I believe my first LaxPower PM came from him. I asked a question on a forum, and he provided the first of his several answers to me over the years. Some came from inside information he did not want to post publicly, but others were the result of his encyclopedic memory and voluminous archives.

He will be missed.
Scratch that. I will miss him.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

44WeWantMore wrote:
OCanada wrote:LaxPower - one of the LaxPower originals passed away today. Bob Fortenbough who was known on LaxPower as Lax Fi, Jersey Joe, Jack of Hearts, Weems Creek Weenie and about 12 more. A great lax fan and friend to many of us.RIP.
Thanks. I believe my first LaxPower PM came from him. I asked a question on a forum, and he provided the first of his several answers to me over the years. Some came from inside information he did not want to post publicly, but others were the result of his encyclopedic memory and voluminous archives.

He will be missed.
Me too. Bob, RIP.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Sad news. He will be greatly missed.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Very sorry to hear. RIP.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
Very sorry to hear. RIP.

Me too; a really good guy, with a broad set of interests and an ardent, if critical, love for the Blue Jays. He used to send me articles that, on the basis of my stupid posts, he thought I'd be interested in reading. And he was usually right. We both spent a good bit of our lives in New Jersey and knew a lot of places in common, and we talked a lot over the past few years about politics, our mutual distaste for Chris Christie and the current Menace in the Oval. I'll miss his keen eye for a news item, his far away friendship, and his posts on this board. Godspeed Bob, and may your family be awash in good memories.
molo

Post by molo »

As a kid in Baltimore, most of the Hopkins fans I knew were like me, kids who had grown up with the sport and followed Hopkins because a friend or relative had played there or maybe just because Hopkins was the home team and a national power. As I got older, I met more Hopkins fans like Bob, people who may not necessarily have grown up with a stick in their hand but who came to love the sport as Hopkins students and went on to remain fans. Smart enough to go to Hopkins, they learned the intricacies of the game and remained lifelong fans. One of the reasons that Homewood is still my favorite place to watch a game is that you have only to look to your left, look to your right, or look in front of you to find someone with whom you can strike up an often informed and frequently passionate comversation about the game.
I met Bob just once. He had sent me a PM and we agreed to meet in the stands in my usual spot in the top row of the visitors' side. He represented the best of the old LP forum. loyal and dedicated to his team as Lax Fideles but fair and balanced as the moderator, Jack of Hearts. We shared frequent PMs, and when he let me know of imminent demise of LP, we exchanged emails. As 44 noted, Bob saved stuff that may have been personal or inappropriate for a general forum for PMs or emails. We corresponded not only about Hopkins but also about some of my feelings about the darker days of the program at the school I slid through.
Although his wife, One L Hilary, handled grammar corrections, he extended his editorial help when some of my posts--always, of course, due to the small keyboard on the Iphone--came out garbled. I knew that he had had major surgery a few years ago but didn't realize he was this sick again. We will all miss his reasoned commentary.
He was a gentle man who knew how to poke fun without rancor, commenting once that I must be 70 by now and marveling,"UVA English major!" at one of my gaffes. Still not 70 and still not sure how I eked out that degree. RIP, Bob.
DMac

Post by DMac »

44WeWantMore wrote:

He will be missed.
I'd bet that Lax Fi reached out to more people than any other LP poster. Certainly many of us have spoken with him on the phone, and I'd bet in most cases that call was initiated by him. He met many in person as well, I'm not one of them. Father Time has eliminated any possibility of that pleasure now. Am sad to see Mr. Fidelis is gone, one of LaxPower's Royal Family has moved on.
My first LP PM came from him too, didn't take long to figure out that Mr. Fidelis was a stickler for detail. I enjoyed his constructive criticism, One L made you think before posting, she didn't miss much. I used the wrong capitol in a sentence, got a PM from him (wasn't the first one): "Capital is not synonymous with capitol". Classic Lax Fidelis.

'encyclopedic memory and voluminous archives", indeed.

Lax Fi is going to be missed by many of us he reached out to.
RIP, Robert
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I think my keying skills are well known by now. Or lack of them.

Many mornings I would check in after making a post the previous night and find I had a PM from one L. The gist was I corrected your post last night. In the last 6 months it became you need to correct your post I can’t do it anymore. So I would correct it

I knew Fort for far longer than either of us would probably want to admit.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

My condolences to LaxFi's family and friends.
I had some good conversations with LaxFi on the Laxpower forum and pms over the years. While living up in PA, he was especially knowledgeable about the happenings at Gettysburgh. He will be missed.

----
I am a little shocked at the number of usernames LaxFi had on laxpower forum. Almost makes one wonder how many real posters there were on Laxpower forum.
Live Free or Die!
doug7779

Post by doug7779 »

I had the pleasure of meeting up with Bob at the MCLA Tournament in South Carolina 5 years ago. He was a classic Hopkins pain in the ass but there was not a better man. I'm going to miss you big boy...rest easy my friend...
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Cooter wrote:
My condolences to LaxFi's family and friends.
I had some good conversations with LaxFi on the Laxpower forum and pms over the years. While living up in PA, he was especially knowledgeable about the happenings at Gettysburgh. He will be missed.

----
I am a little shocked at the number of usernames LaxFi had on laxpower forum. Almost makes one wonder how many real posters there were on Laxpower forum.
He was an outlier - in more ways than one.
I only have had two nicks, and I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get a third.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”