2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

D1 Womens Lacrosse
njbill

Re: 2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

Post by njbill »

That’s what I heard from someone who was on the sidelines.

If that is it, seems pretty ticky tack to me. But on the other hand, a player in any sport has to adjust to the way the officials are calling the game. This is the third time it has happened in five games. Call that foul on me once, shame on you. Call it twice or thrice, shame on me.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:36 am Explanation I got was that she failed to drop her stick right away after scoring a goal.
Just rewatched her two no goals. I can not see that being the case. Perhaps in the first goal...she took a couple of hops and steps. The second she almost immediately put the stick down. Just do not see that as the call on the second one. The ref in the first case doesn't even check the stick so perhaps it is the case.

From the very end of the play in question (#2) on ESPN+ you can see the ref with the stick and saying something so North. You can not see the ref, just Ms North.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bart wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:59 am The ref in the first case doesn't even check the stick so perhaps it is the case.
That's why I thought it might have been the fake pass that got him/her.
Can't possibly do that with a legal stick.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Just heard from a second VERY GOOD source, also on the sidelines, that that is what it was: she did not drop her stick in a timely manner.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:17 am Just heard from a second VERY GOOD source, also on the sidelines, that that is what it was: she did not drop her stick in a timely manner.
I think anyone who has seen CN play the past few season at BC will agree that she usually doesn't drop the stick right after a goal. Her MO is to take numerous steeps and celebrate before dropping the stick as mandated in the rule book. The NCAA refs didn't seem to have a problem with this, but apparently some of the international officials take the rule book quit literally. Either way she is fun to watch and a wonderful athlete.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Why would a failure to promptly drop the stick (which, by the way, Treanor did on one of her first couple of goals) require its removal from the game to the sideline official's bench?
DMac

Post by DMac »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:27 am
njbill wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:17 am Just heard from a second VERY GOOD source, also on the sidelines, that that is what it was: she did not drop her stick in a timely manner.
I think anyone who has seen CN play the past few season at BC will agree that she usually doesn't drop the stick right after a goal. Her MO is to take numerous steeps and celebrate before dropping the stick as mandated in the rule book.
Actually, she never does just drop her stick, she gives it the North push and slide.
This could be what the refs don't like (in this tourney, no problem in the NCAA games).
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:30 am Why would a failure to promptly drop the stick (which, by the way, Treanor did on one of her first couple of goals) require its removal from the game to the sideline official's bench?
Because someone is being wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overly picky about something that has absolutely no affect on the game?
njbill

Post by njbill »

The immediate stick drop rule is to prevent the player from having time to tinker with the stick. A stick that, in theory, could have been tinkered with may have been illegal pre-tinker and thus is subject to removal.

That is my guess as to why it works this way.

Now, you might argue that it is too draconian to both take away a goal and the stick for a failure to drop the stick in a timely manner, and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree, but we don’t make the international rules.

As I said, the first time it happens, maybe blame the refs. But the second and third time, that’s on the player.

This is World Cup, not NCAA. Every Olympics there is discussion about the fact that the NBA players have trouble adjusting to the international rules.

My information is that other countries have complained about the fact that North does not drop her stick right after scoring a goal.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree, beyond the first time it's on you.
Still thinking it's that push and slide that is annoying everyone.
It does me too, just drop your stick.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

I read somewhere else that the issue may have been the fact that there is so much hold in CN's stick that the ball doesn't move freely when tested after the goals. Might explain why both sticks were deemed illegal if they are strung identically.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

String pulling. The slide could serve that same purpose.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:45 am The immediate stick drop rule is to prevent the player from having time to tinker with the stick. A stick that, in theory, could have been tinkered with may have been illegal pre-tinker and thus is subject to removal.

That is my guess as to why it works this way.

Now, you might argue that it is too draconian to both take away a goal and the stick for a failure to drop the stick in a timely manner, and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree, but we don’t make the international rules.

As I said, the first time it happens, maybe blame the refs. But the second and third time, that’s on the player.

This is World Cup, not NCAA. Every Olympics there is discussion about the fact that the NBA players have trouble adjusting to the international rules.

My information is that other countries have complained about the fact that North does not drop her stick right after scoring a goal.
If you are going to use the second instance of time between goal scored and stick drop then the US should have lost 4-6 other goals. The rule was not applied to the same standard. Heck, KT rand all the way around the crease and stood with her mates for a second before dropping her stick after the first goal. The ref did say something to her after so perhaps it was a warning? Perhaps the referee in question has given a warning to Ms North? IDK.

I would also be highly skeptical that the slide would in any way alter the pocket. IMO, it is just rubbing some officials/teams the wrong way.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Watching the Ireland vs Scotland game. Scotland scores a goal..........looks like a good goal but noooooooooo. Appeared to be a "too long before you drop you stick" no goal call. At least that is all I can think it is after watching the play several times.

Seems like such a petty call.................. But them the rules I suppose.
njbill

Post by njbill »

It’s Chinatown, Jake.

Maybe the possible warning to Treanor also served as a warning to the rest of the team. Maybe North was just the next person to offend our beloved administrator, I mean the referee. We know how that works. ;)

Let’s just hope we don’t have any real close one goal games in which a critical goal is disallowed because one of our players fails to drop her stick in a timely manner.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:47 pm It’s Chinatown, Jake.

Maybe the possible warning to Treanor also served as a warning to the rest of the team. Maybe North was just the next person to offend our beloved administrator, I mean the referee. We know how that works. ;)

Let’s just hope we don’t have any real close one goal games in which a critical goal is disallowed because one of our players fails to drop her stick in a timely manner.
You sure you did not have a relative working the game :lol: :lol: :lol: You DID say you had a very good source on the side line ;)
njbill

Post by njbill »

The source was very good, but not that good. :lol:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:15 pm String pulling. The slide could serve that same purpose.
Youngest told me that there is a certain way that you can throw your stick that may tighten/push the strings. I am not saying that CN did this consciously/purposely, so ONW/CO, I am not criticizing her, dont take it that way.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:06 pm so ONW/CO, I am not criticizing her, dont take it that way.
:lol:
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:47 pm Let’s just hope we don’t have any real close one goal games in which a critical goal is disallowed because one of our players fails to drop her stick in a timely manner.
Yes, let's hope that our nation's best are competent enough to drop their sticks promptly as the officials have repeatedly asked. At this point, if they don't, it's hard to have sympathy for them or not think there's something sinister going on.

I noticed KT holding on to her stick after that goal too and thought it was bizarre... Gotta say, if there's cheating going on here it's a very bad look for potentially a couple players who have been really impactful for the sport. I sincerely hope that's not what's happening. No matter what you think of the player(s) in question, it would be very unfortunate.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”