Transfer Portal 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:48 pm
Wheels wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:21 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:43 pm Interesting Grant is in the portal, but his twin brother, Connor, is not. (Yet?) Grant has played more of the two. UNC sure seems like as good a guess as any.

In order of my curiosity about where they land, I'd go:

1. Lully
2. Khan (Maryland fans think they're getting him)
3. Donville (Maryland fans also think they're getting him)
4. Madronic
5. Murphy
6. Trippi
7. Morin
8. Rock
9. Bartolo
10. Mack/Buckanavage
Not sure about Khan, although he was high on Maryland coming out of high school. Hearing he wants to go somewhere where not only can he win but can play behind the goal at X. Not sure exactly if that latter part would work at Maryland. Heard that every B1G school reached out to Khan, as did UVA, UNC, and Duke.

Have heard Donville is a good bet to end up in College Park.

Some exits in College Park coming soon.
Well he’s not going to be playing X at UVA or UNC. You can rule that out. Among B1G schools; Rutgers has an opening. Same with Penn State. Ohio State could use one. Michigan I’ve heard is interested in Lulley; which means they’re willing to fit Zawada and Boehm to wing/inside to find an X guy. They’d fit. Assuming HF16’s intel is right and DeSimone is on his way back to Hop; don’t see room there.

Maryland has an opening there. Obviously Malever feels like the heir apparent and the PT he got as a frosh would indicate a leap as a sophomore but he hasn’t played there yet so I could see them being interested.

Duke....Sowers is gone so the hole is open. However do you want to block McAdorey’s quickest route to playing time? I’m not sure

Feels like probably Duke but I think one of those 4 B1G’s i mentioned fit as well
Duke needs midfield help… or improved midfield play.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:43 pm Interesting Grant is in the portal, but his twin brother, Connor, is not. (Yet?) Grant has played more of the two. UNC sure seems like as good a guess as any.

1. Lully
4. Madronic
5. Murphy
6. Trippi
7. Morin
8. Rock
9. Bartolo
10. Mack/Buckanavage
Madronic is in the portal for 2023. He’s fantastic.
“I wish you would!”
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:38 pm
Or maybe they ran their offense through their attack too predictably, but of course with Sowers, O’Neil and Robertson completely understandable. 9 of Duke’s top 12 scorers were seniors/grads. If there is one team faced with a develop versus instant talent transfer portal dilemma (who has great grad options), it is Duke.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:23 am
Or maybe they ran their offense through their attack too predictably, but of course with Sowers, O’Neil and Robertson completely understandable. 9 of Duke’s top 12 scorers were seniors/grads. If there is one team faced with a develop versus instant talent transfer portal dilemma (who has great grad options), it is Duke.
they'll be back at it. they're committed. lulley or khan for starters.
whither williams?
Typical Lax Dad

Offense was bad. My guess is it will be better next year.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

1. Lully
4. Madronic
5. Murphy
6. Trippi
7. Morin
8. Rock
9. Bartolo
10. Mack/Buckanavage
Khan has experience playing a Canadian-style offense. Plus, he can play lefty or righty.

https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/men/ ... -villanova

I think Hopkins should take a serious run at him (I suspect they are).

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:43 am
I’m not sure why Duke would be better on offense next year without Sowers. There are a lot of people saying that McAdorey will come in to replace Sowers at Attack. Have any of you actually seen McAdorey play? He’s not an attackman. And he’s not Michael Sowers. He’s played up top midfield for St Anthony’s for the past three years. He is very fast and can score in transition or with super quick splits up top where he shot is pretty deadly. The three games against Chaminade this year they poled him nearly every possession and he struggled one on one a bit. He is not big nor very physical. If you’re looking for a comparison, he’s a lot like Xander Dickson on Virginia. He will be a nice complementary player on the offense. But he won’t be a dominant force and he’s not an attackman. But maybe that’s what Duke needs? Just more options on offense.

Too often this past year they had five guys standing around staring at the ball carrier and looking for him to do something. Who knows? Dino will need to figure something out. Too much talent to look that bad in the semis.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

don't see dickson at all.
more chris gray to me for body type, dodging and shooting.

gray has off ball, creativity and feeding that are his own, not saying a second coming but for the above.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Not sure if you mean this or not. Number 6 scoring offense in the nation. To a purest, they relied upon Sowers in an iso at crunch time at the expense of ball movement. I cannot blame them. Wish my team had that “problem”.

Having O’Neill is certainly a great place to start “rebuilding” any offense. If there was ever a reloading versus rebuilding I think Duke is it.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Henpecked wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:08 pm
I’m not sure why Duke would be better on offense next year without Sowers. There are a lot of people saying that McAdorey will come in to replace Sowers at Attack. Have any of you actually seen McAdorey play? He’s not an attackman. And he’s not Michael Sowers. He’s played up top midfield for St Anthony’s for the past three years. He is very fast and can score in transition or with super quick splits up top where he shot is pretty deadly. The three games against Chaminade this year they poled him nearly every possession and he struggled one on one a bit. He is not big nor very physical. If you’re looking for a comparison, he’s a lot like Xander Dickson on Virginia. He will be a nice complementary player on the offense. But he won’t be a dominant force and he’s not an attackman. But maybe that’s what Duke needs? Just more options on offense.

Too often this past year they had five guys standing around staring at the ball carrier and looking for him to do something. Who knows? Dino will need to figure something out. Too much talent to look that bad in the semis.
McAdorey is what, 5’9’? How many 5’9’ midfielders you see running around out there? Not that this is the best tool to use, but there were two guys below 6 feet on the USILA 1st-3rd Team AA list at MF this year. They were Nakeie and Kyle Long, who are 5’11’ and 5’10’ respectively. And Long was an attackman at the start of his career.

If he’s not big and not very physical that feels like the exact reason TO move him to attack. Your speed and quickness can play a lot more in space behind the net than it can dodging against big close defenders on the wing.
Typical Lax Dad

I think the system will be better. I believe coach Danowski also said the offense never came together but what does he know. I was surprised Duke didn’t pair an inside finisher with Sowers. A guy like Laviano would have scored 50 goals. I guess “five guys standing around watching the ball carrier” is good offense?

In have not seen McAdorey in 2 years and I don’t imagine him to be an upgrade over Michael Sowers. I haven’t heard from anyone close to Duke that was satisfied with the offense this year. It was strange. Other than O’Neill not much outside shooting….if the offense is just as bad next year, maybe a new OC would help?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:05 pm
Not sure if you mean this or not. Number 6 scoring offense in the nation. To a purest, they relied upon Sowers in an iso at crunch time at the expense of ball movement. I cannot blame them. Wish my team had that “problem”.

Having O’Neill is certainly a great place to start “rebuilding” any offense. If there was ever a reloading versus rebuilding I think Duke is it.
Did you watch many Duke games this year and came away thinking….”they run good offense”…..I didn’t. I will give the staff the benefit of the doubt as they missed a lot of practice time and not sure the chemistry developed and not sure they figured out the best offense for the personnel.
“I wish you would!”
molo

Post by molo »

Maybe Trippi wants to go somewhere where he can start at attack. This year he was primarily a second middie, but he did start on EMO as the lefty attackman along with the first midfield, Gray, and Solomon. With Kelly and Cameron, who split the lefty attack spot most of the year coming back, Trippi was, I guess, slated for more time as a middie. Still, he would have been one of the first six middies on a contender.
Mitchell from OSU to Carolina? Breschi seems to like guys from his old hs rival
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:30 pm

I think the system will be better. I believe coach Danowski also said the offense never came together but what does he know. I was surprised Duke didn’t pair an inside finisher with Sowers. A guy like Laviano would have scored 50 goals. I guess “five guys standing around watching the ball carrier” is good offense?

In have not seen McAdorey in 2 years and I don’t imagine him to be an upgrade over Michael Sowers. I haven’t heard from anyone close to Duke that was satisfied with the offense this year. It was strange. Other than O’Neill not much outside shooting….if the offense is just as bad next year, maybe a new OC would help?
they'll need one when little dano takes over.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

I think the people saying Trippi leaving Carolina because he wants to play attack might be right. He's one of those overlooked players that probably got slotted at midfield more because of his great versatile ability rather than necessarily being an inferior attackman to Kelly/Cameron. Although I think Kelly might be better at riding and on groundballs. Still, Trippi's 25 points and only 2 turnovers is a great stat.

Even though Mitchell's brother has not followed him into the portal as far as I know, it's worth noting how well Breschi has recruited twins recently. Schertzingers, Schwarzes, and Pietremalas.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

To me, Sowers was a stop gap.
They didn’t want to waste the year, with Brennan O’Neill there,
Robertson’s last season (I think).
Great option, do a stop gap year with one of the all time
players.
They did have a couple tremendous stretches with
that offense, the High Point game, a couple of stretches
during ACC play.
But nothing like Sowers and Princeton, that team clicked
on offense like few offenses I’ve ever seen.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I’m hearing some smoke of Trippi to Georgetown. We will see how it plays out.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

That would be a very good fit for both sides. Hoyas need more dodging.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

How does the portal get updated? i keep on hearing that an attack from UNC is in the portal but dont see it. I will not add name as it is not far until it is confirmed.
On a separate note, I am surprised that MD is going after some of those big names with the talent they have sitting on the bench. While PT is never promised, it is a bad vibe for the team if someone works their back side off and doesnt get PT. Like to get some PT for 2nd string to make practices better.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

getitdone wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:47 pm How does the portal get updated? i keep on hearing that an attack from UNC is in the portal but dont see it. I will not add name as it is not far until it is confirmed.
On a separate note, I am surprised that MD is going after some of those big names with the talent they have sitting on the bench. While PT is never promised, it is a bad vibe for the team if someone works their back side off and doesnt get PT. Like to get some PT for 2nd string to make practices better.
The official portal is updated when a player tells his athletic administration he wants to transfer. Their name is then add to the portal. Only the player and College athletic administrators/coaches have access. All the players list hear are for the most part hearsay from reliable sources. Sometimes that source is the player. Press does not have direct access to the portal.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”