Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:19 pm These posts are LOL
I will pull a Sgt. Schultz because I indeed "know nothinggggg" BUT it's just funny to me that several others have a much different definition of "Rapined"
Petro is clearly trying to create/sustain a narrative - he's in charge and he's a good guy
My question would be (if someone has familiarity with the players) is there anyone in the portal that Hopkins should really look at from the standpoint of - fills a need - could seriously look at Hopkisn etc.
-we've seen the transfer goalie thing before. What does it say about the current goalie coach and 3-4 other kids now with 2-3 years on the team that they need to go outside to get one?
-gray wouldn't have changed the awful defense, first midfield that couldn't produce, lack of hustle and everything else that nearly produced a 1-5 start.
-If petro is back and at this point that's an indictment of the university President and ad, history shows we're going to see almost everyone that didn't graduate back on the field. That's not good.
-if you want to get personal with me put in the dms and own it. Don't waste the forums time.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I guess we might have burned the Haverford bridge but Costin scored almost 2 goals a game for Utah from the midfield - I don't know the utah schedule off the top of my head but we could use a middie to put the biscuit in the basket

The breaking news of the Yale LSM is intriguing
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:42 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:22 pm epsteined or rapined until you graduate no matter what the absolute awful level of performance.
What in the actual f*** does this mean? Most of what you say is garbled, unparsable stream-of-consciousness nonsense but this is another level. Somebody shouldn't have skipped all of his writing-intensive classes at Hopkins. There's a reason the school requires those.

Petro is coming back. Time to talk about something else!
Only a practical level, given the situation I agree that he is coming back because it would be really hard and have bad optics to do a coaching search right now (though it isn't hard for kids to be entering the transfer portal.)

But, in a realistic view, what happens July 1st and there is no signed contract extension.

Not to play devil's advocate but what if Hopkins said we want to give you another year and Petro has said he wants a multiple year contract because he has no security with a 1 year deal and that he has Hopkins over a barrel on this issue (hard to do a coaching search). To further prove that point, all the social media is leverage on his part to force Hopkins during these negotiations. I don't think DP is that Machevallian and this is all just spitballing.

But, it isn't some done deal that DP takes a 1 year deal. If I was in his position and given the current state of the world, I wouldn't.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:46 pm
-if you want to get personal with me put in the dms and own it. Don't waste the forums time.
Lol what? I can't chirp you for dubious syntax, but you can call every kid on the roster "garbage" over and over again. Makes sense. Your entire brand is getting personal with players. That's literally all you do here.

Also, I wasn't aware the forum's "time" could be wasted.
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:46 pm -gray wouldn't have changed the awful defense, first midfield that couldn't produce, lack of hustle and everything else that nearly produced a 1-5 start.
So because he doesn't play defense, we shouldn't have wanted him? Not sure exactly what you're trying to say here. The kid is one of the best players in the country. I guess you weren't watching when he scored 8 goals against us in a game this year with a 7-goal margin. If we had him, and Carolina did not, that's a very different ballgame. He very well may have made a difference in the 3-goal loss to Loyola as well. Would he have solved every issue? Obviously not—but the season would look quite different with him on the team especially given Epstein's injury and the subsequent offensive ineffectiveness. News flash: Longer, better offensive possessions and goals DOES help the defense. Having a player of his caliber would also have taken attention away from the midfield...it helps all over the field.

"Lack of hustle" is yet another bizarre criticism. Where do you get that from? There are a million true things you can criticize about the team's play, why resort to making stuff up?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:09 pm
Only a practical level, given the situation I agree that he is coming back because it would be really hard and have bad optics to do a coaching search right now (though it isn't hard for kids to be entering the transfer portal.)

But, in a realistic view, what happens July 1st and there is no signed contract extension.

Not to play devil's advocate but what if Hopkins said we want to give you another year and Petro has said he wants a multiple year contract because he has no security with a 1 year deal and that he has Hopkins over a barrel on this issue (hard to do a coaching search). To further prove that point, all the social media is leverage on his part to force Hopkins during these negotiations. I don't think DP is that Machevallian and this is all just spitballing.

But, it isn't some done deal that DP takes a 1 year deal. If I was in his position and given the current state of the world, I wouldn't.
In this hypothetical scenario I think it would be a strategic mistake for Petro to decline a 1-year extension, if his goal is to continue coaching beyond the 2021 season. You're basically just calling it a do-over at that point. In fact I wouldn't be completely shocked if there's a clause in his contract stipulating that the expiration date rolls over into next year if the season is cancelled for some reason. These contracts can get pretty granular, and I've seen that in other sports occasionally. Anyway, I'd rather have one more year of job security at minimum than be looking for work this summer. He probably wouldn't get another college job—if that's what he wanted—until summer 2021 at the earliest. Not to mention the last memory of him coaching at that point would be the 2-4 team that was getting obliterated by rivals and nearly beaten by the Mount. A 1-year deal would at least be a bet on himself to get things back in a better direction. Even if that's not enough to earn a longterm extension from Hopkins, it might be enough to convince another school to dump a big pile of cash his way. Granted it's possible things could be even worse next year but I find that unlikely.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

AD can structure a multi year contract with a partial buyout if need be.

Petro and JHU are at a disadvantage trying to recruit any of the better transfers when the player being called cant be given any assurances who the coach will be.
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:06 pm Is it just me or has Petro recently become more openly caring?

RT @CoachPetro43: Happy National Student Athlete Day. Missing you fellas.
LOL - kind as a puppy until practices/season starts.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Smitty, no doubt. He is who he is. But it's still odd, or maybe I just never noticed it before, that Petro recently has this gentler side.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:24 pm Smitty, no doubt. He is who he is. But it's still odd, or maybe I just never noticed it before, that Petro recently has this gentler side.
Ask Rapine about his gentler side. :|
Hail to the Victors

replay update

Post by Hail to the Victors »

Xfinity's guide shows ESPNU replaying the 2015 QF game Friday at noon.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

This Rapine thing has certainly taken on a life of its own. Look, while I am no CBB or others by any stretch, I have probably seen over 70 maybe over 80% of every game Petro has coached for Hopkins in person. He obviously is cut from the "old school" cloth and he certainly has not always been well versed in compliment sandwiches as a technique. He's going to tell you directly what you did wrong and what he thinks you need to do to do it better and there will be some mf'ers and cs'ers thrown in. I saw him in 2006 give Rabil a raft of "instruction" after an ill advised turnover that would have made a sailor blush. I think I have said before- my biggest issue with this approach is that it can create a fear of failure more than a undying drive to succeed which is what he wants. Coaches like that, IMO, are really trying to communicate their passion and commitment and can't fathom why others don't see it that way. Chic was worse BTW. My point here is really not to say whether that approach is a good way to go anymore, it is what it is, and it is going out of style to some degree - though arguably the greatest college football coach (certainly of modern times) is clearly from that cloth - but to point out that if Petro was clearly and systematically verbally abusing players he would be gone - period - end of story. After 2013, I believe the lacrosse program - including Petro - have been on Dean Wormer's - excuse me- President Daniel's double secret probation list and a well documented case of abuse would not be tolerated for an instant. SO once again, there are two sides to every story. And, to be clear I am not in the tank for Petro - I think his record since 2009 has not been up to standards and while Hopkins has unique recruiting issues, the product on the field can be better. I believe he has made strategic mistakes in early recruiting, roster construction, roster size. He also needs, IMO, to revise his staff if he wants to coach long term. I have nothing against Dwan at all - and some of his responsibilities are very valuable - still you cannot afford to have the head coach be consumed with the defense and a paid assistant coach standing off to the side blowing the whistle for face-off practice. That's for student volunteers and volunteer coaches. He needs a real DC badly.
Homer

Post by Homer »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:32 am This Rapine thing has certainly taken on a life of its own. Look, while I am no CBB or others by any stretch, I have probably seen over 70 maybe over 80% of every game Petro has coached for Hopkins in person. He obviously is cut from the "old school" cloth and he certainly has not always been well versed in compliment sandwiches as a technique. He's going to tell you directly what you did wrong and what he thinks you need to do to do it better and there will be some mf'ers and cs'ers thrown in. I saw him in 2006 give Rabil a raft of "instruction" after an ill advised turnover that would have made a sailor blush. I think I have said before- my biggest issue with this approach is that it can create a fear of failure more than a undying drive to succeed which is what he wants. Coaches like that, IMO, are really trying to communicate their passion and commitment and can't fathom why others don't see it that way. Chic was worse BTW. My point here is really not to say whether that approach is a good way to go anymore, it is what it is, and it is going out of style to some degree - though arguably the greatest college football coach (certainly of modern times) is clearly from that cloth - but to point out that if Petro was clearly and systematically verbally abusing players he would be gone - period - end of story. After 2013, I believe the lacrosse program - including Petro - have been on Dean Wormer's - excuse me- President Daniel's double secret probation list and a well documented case of abuse would not be tolerated for an instant. SO once again, there are two sides to every story. And, to be clear I am not in the tank for Petro - I think his record since 2009 has not been up to standards and while Hopkins has unique recruiting issues, the product on the field can be better. I believe he has made strategic mistakes in early recruiting, roster construction, roster size. He also needs, IMO, to revise his staff if he wants to coach long term. I have nothing against Dwan at all - and some of his responsibilities are very valuable - still you cannot afford to have the head coach be consumed with the defense and a paid assistant coach standing off to the side blowing the whistle for face-off practice. That's for student volunteers and volunteer coaches. He needs a real DC badly.
+1
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:32 am This Rapine thing has certainly taken on a life of its own. Look, while I am no CBB or others by any stretch, I have probably seen over 70 maybe over 80% of every game Petro has coached for Hopkins in person. He obviously is cut from the "old school" cloth and he certainly has not always been well versed in compliment sandwiches as a technique. He's going to tell you directly what you did wrong and what he thinks you need to do to do it better and there will be some mf'ers and cs'ers thrown in. I saw him in 2006 give Rabil a raft of "instruction" after an ill advised turnover that would have made a sailor blush. I think I have said before- my biggest issue with this approach is that it can create a fear of failure more than a undying drive to succeed which is what he wants. Coaches like that, IMO, are really trying to communicate their passion and commitment and can't fathom why others don't see it that way. Chic was worse BTW. My point here is really not to say whether that approach is a good way to go anymore, it is what it is, and it is going out of style to some degree - though arguably the greatest college football coach (certainly of modern times) is clearly from that cloth - but to point out that if Petro was clearly and systematically verbally abusing players he would be gone - period - end of story. After 2013, I believe the lacrosse program - including Petro - have been on Dean Wormer's - excuse me- President Daniel's double secret probation list and a well documented case of abuse would not be tolerated for an instant. SO once again, there are two sides to every story. And, to be clear I am not in the tank for Petro - I think his record since 2009 has not been up to standards and while Hopkins has unique recruiting issues, the product on the field can be better. I believe he has made strategic mistakes in early recruiting, roster construction, roster size. He also needs, IMO, to revise his staff if he wants to coach long term. I have nothing against Dwan at all - and some of his responsibilities are very valuable - still you cannot afford to have the head coach be consumed with the defense and a paid assistant coach standing off to the side blowing the whistle for face-off practice. That's for student volunteers and volunteer coaches. He needs a real DC badly.
If what is being speculated is true this goes WAY beyond sideline antics, staff construction/responsibilities and it is not limited to Rapine. Rapine is getting the attention because he left. If an abused woman leaves her husband you don’t talk about the pressure the abuser is under or how incompetent his employees are.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Two sides to the story is an understatement. Go to class, stay in shape, and work hard. It's not that complicated. If you do those things, you generally won't have any problems with your teammates or coaches.

100% agree with the idea that if the big guy stays on he should shake up his staff a little bit. It's not going to happen—again I think Petro would sooner resign than make one of his friends a scapegoat—but it's clear something has to change. The defensive side of the field has been horrific, not just well below Hopkins standards but subpar for any program. That is the coach's responsibility.

2020 - #54 in goals allowed per game
2019 - #58
2018 - #26
2017 - #54
2016 - #58
2015 - #39

Goals allowed is an imperfect stat but if you're routinely ranked in the 50s, you're doing something very wrong. Contrast that to the offense over the same time period. 2020 was shaping up to be the only bad year and that was in large part because the best player and chief offensive initiator couldn't run.

2020 - #52
2019 - #23
2018 - #12
2017 - #16
2016 - #12
2015 - #9

Boggles my mind that all anyone wants to talk about is Benson's side of the ball. The efficiency stats are even better than the ones above, and that's what really matters. God knows I have had my own issues with some personnel decisions but you can make Final Fours with these offenses. The game has changed—I don't think you need a top 5 elite shutdown defense to win but you certainly need to do better than 54th in the country. Can't win with that, ever.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:23 am If what is being speculated is true this goes WAY beyond sideline antics, staff construction/responsibilities and it is not limited to Rapine. Rapine is getting the attention because he left. If an abused woman leaves her husband you don’t talk about the pressure the abuser is under or how incompetent his employees are.
Fair enough BUT again - and of course this is my opinion - Johns Hopkins current administration has ZERO appetite for student athlete abuse - I think there is documented evidence (in the form of the suspensions and the VERY near termination of the season in 2013) of that. SO IF there was documentable evidence of consistent verbal abuse and it was brought to Baker/Daniels - Petro would be gone. I brought up the other things because I do not think that evidence exists - because he is still around - and I have been told the player bears at least an equal share in the deterioration of the relationship. The key word in all this is speculation.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:35 am
flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:23 am If what is being speculated is true this goes WAY beyond sideline antics, staff construction/responsibilities and it is not limited to Rapine. Rapine is getting the attention because he left. If an abused woman leaves her husband you don’t talk about the pressure the abuser is under or how incompetent his employees are.
Fair enough BUT again - and of course this is my opinion - Johns Hopkins current administration has ZERO appetite for student athlete abuse - I think there is documented evidence (in the form of the suspensions and the VERY near termination of the season in 2013) of that. SO IF there was documentable evidence of consistent verbal abuse and it was brought to Baker/Daniels - Petro would be gone. I brought up the other things because I do not think that evidence exists - because he is still around - and I have been told the player bears at least an equal share in the deterioration of the relationship. The key word in all this is speculation.
Another poster here with some implied knowledge referenced Omertà. There may be a lot of truth in that.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:35 am
i have no idea what the story is with Rapine and DP is very much of the old school. Whatever happened he was essentially a 3 year starter on the team and he left before his senior year. How often does that happen? Almost never. It happens alot more with freshman - they make the decision it isn't worth it to deal with the issues - think Ruhl (again no idea why he left but he left after his freshman year and was playing a lot). For a senior to leave when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel is not a good look. Not matter what the issue is.

But, any coach worth their salt will need to loudly criticize (i'll use yelling from here out) a player at different points of a player's career. There is a difference between yelling than verbal abuse. But, for some kids yelling will be a good motivation for others the yelling needs to be more selective, nuanced and only done in certain select settings.

I've coached all my kids in some level of sports at the youth level. I've yelled at all of my teams at some point for doing something boneheaded or trying to get their attention. This is very different than screaming. Screaming is just hearing your self and is what I consider verbal abuse. Yelling has instruction in it and I'll fully admit there is a fine line or gray area between the two.

I'm probably hardest on my own kids but I know that my middle son can take more yelling than my daughter or younger son. My middle son gets why I'm yelling at him. It pushes his competitiveness to do better. My daughter and younger son would both crumple if did what I do to my middle son. They don't look at it that way. They need another way to push their competitiveness. For my younger son, it isn't surprising to push him to be more like his brother. It is a coaches job to figure out what is the best way to motivate their players.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Evolving norms and standards, this younger generation has greater sensitivities which has many plusses but also requires those overseeing activities to adapt their ways which is not always beneficial to the whole. Some coaches are able to walk that fine line well but many will go over and back. Much depends on the makeup of their group as very few will consistently appease all. Old school coaches were coached themselves in a different environment where yelling to get points across was prevalent especially in certain sports. Some were up your proverbial butt but made you better in the end . Petro ways are not unique in sports nor are the "defections". The hiring trend now may be towards player coaches but my guess is that will run its course because discipline , demands and accountability are part of high level competition whether that be in sports or work. Had my share of bosses who doled out criticisms to most all but still maintained harmony and cohesion in the workforce. So many gray areas exist today and there will be differing views on any issue however generalized . For me yelling at players is not verbal abuse unless it is over the top abuse targeted at an individual. Captains would bring that to coach or admin if such were the case.
viper

Post by viper »

stupefied wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:22 am Evolving norms and standards, this younger generation has greater sensitivities which has many plusses but also requires those overseeing activities to adapt their ways which is not always beneficial to the whole. Some coaches are able to walk that fine line well but many will go over and back. Much depends on the makeup of their group as very few will consistently appease all. Old school coaches were coached themselves in a different environment where yelling to get points across was prevalent especially in certain sports. Some were up your proverbial butt but made you better in the end . Petro ways are not unique in sports nor are the "defections". The hiring trend now may be towards player coaches but my guess is that will run its course because discipline , demands and accountability are part of high level competition whether that be in sports or work. Had my share of bosses who doled out criticisms to most all but still maintained harmony and cohesion in the workforce. So many gray areas exist today and there will be differing views on any issue however generalized . For me yelling at players is not verbal abuse unless it is over the top abuse targeted at an individual. Captains would bring that to coach or admin if such were the case.
I have two kids who play/played at the collegiate level and I think the best coaches are the ones that understand it's not a one size fits all approach to every player. Verbal "attacks" might be a motivation for some and a confidence breaker for others. The best coaches can communicate to their players as a team and as individuals (in different ways) to bring out the best of each player and most importantly not take mistakes and poor performance as a "personal affront".
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

viper wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:09 pm
stupefied wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:22 am Evolving norms and standards, this younger generation has greater sensitivities which has many plusses but also requires those overseeing activities to adapt their ways which is not always beneficial to the whole. Some coaches are able to walk that fine line well but many will go over and back. Much depends on the makeup of their group as very few will consistently appease all. Old school coaches were coached themselves in a different environment where yelling to get points across was prevalent especially in certain sports. Some were up your proverbial butt but made you better in the end . Petro ways are not unique in sports nor are the "defections". The hiring trend now may be towards player coaches but my guess is that will run its course because discipline , demands and accountability are part of high level competition whether that be in sports or work. Had my share of bosses who doled out criticisms to most all but still maintained harmony and cohesion in the workforce. So many gray areas exist today and there will be differing views on any issue however generalized . For me yelling at players is not verbal abuse unless it is over the top abuse targeted at an individual. Captains would bring that to coach or admin if such were the case.
I have two kids who play/played at the collegiate level and I think the best coaches are the ones that understand it's not a one size fits all approach to every player. Verbal "attacks" might be a motivation for some and a confidence breaker for others. The best coaches can communicate to their players as a team and as individuals (in different ways) to bring out the best of each player and most importantly not take mistakes and poor performance as a "personal affront".
Understand that one shoe doesn't fit all but trying to manage the psyches of 50 college men isn't easy to accomplish. It certainly helps to possess emotional intelligence in dealing one or one but its best to apply a similar and consistent approach to all across the board . If you bark, bark at all

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”