Hobart 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2020

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I know Ken from way way back. He great guy who’s living up to the standards set for him unfortunately. And he’s most likely focused on Hockey and BBall at the moment. Could do better but thin staff and no resources as well.

For those who are at all familiar with late 90s hip hop this should be the message for the game, with last year being the metaphor of Tupac being shot the first time in the studio:

Grab ya glocks when you see Hobart,
Call the Cops when you see Hobart uh,
who shot us but ya punks didn’t finish
Now ya bout to feel the wrath of a menace
Cuse, now I hit em up!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

You're right. Perfect message for the week.
Regarding Ken Debolt .... great guy, works nonstop. But staff cuts and shortages take a toll. Big budget crunches these days. And hockey (Hobart and Wm Smith), B ball (H and WS), plus all of the spring sports.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:15 pm It's 2 days before we play Cuse, and they are still talking about the Army game on their thread. I guess they have already notched the W.
Fanlax isnt the main site for SU lax fans. Most are over at Syracusefan.com. Trust me there's concern about tomorrow.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

The last time I went to the Dome for a Hobart-Syracuse game we came away with the trophy. Don’t see that happening tomorrow night. Don’t get me wrong, I think we have a really good team this year and it’s a pleasure to watch them, it’s just that Syracuse is the #3 team for a reason. I know that they were ranked #3 the last time we won, but I don’t think that will make a difference. Let’s hope for a competitive game and one that we can use to build on for the future. The lax world will be watching, so no repeat of last year’s debacle.
kmartin

Post by kmartin »

Ketch is giving them the old soft sell. Doesn't want to upset the Creator by calling for a W straight out. I know the truth Ketch.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Ketch wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:12 am The last time I went to the Dome for a Hobart-Syracuse game we came away with the trophy. Don’t see that happening tomorrow night. Don’t get me wrong, I think we have a really good team this year and it’s a pleasure to watch them, it’s just that Syracuse is the #3 team for a reason. I know that they were ranked #3 the last time we won, but I don’t think that will make a difference. Let’s hope for a competitive game and one that we can use to build on for the future. The lax world will be watching, so no repeat of last year’s debacle.
Rankings swing.. Their play is inconsistent and not that of a #3.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

After SU's performance vs. Army last week, I have zero qualms with someone giving Hobart the edge for the W. SU's feet are not firmly on the ground. On O and on D. On the other hand, Hobart has been winning big but this will be their first real test. Tough game to call...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Swami sez Hobart 18 - Syracuse 17 despite an advantage at the X for SU....Hobart depth surprises SU ....and Sam makes highlight film despite giving up 17 goals
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:09 am After SU's performance vs. Army last week, I have zero qualms with someone giving Hobart the edge for the W. SU's feet are not firmly on the ground. On O and on D. On the other hand, Hobart has been winning big but this will be their first real test. Tough game to call...
The Bart faithful won't like this but if the Statesmen try to run with Cuse, it will be curtains. They need an Army approach to slow/control the pace of the game in order to win. Just my opinion...
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

tech37 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:09 am After SU's performance vs. Army last week, I have zero qualms with someone giving Hobart the edge for the W. SU's feet are not firmly on the ground. On O and on D. On the other hand, Hobart has been winning big but this will be their first real test. Tough game to call...
The Bart faithful won't like this but if the Statesmen try to run with Cuse, it will be curtains. They need an Army approach to slow/control the pace of the game in order to win. Just my opinion...
Completely wrong, that would be a disaster for us. You don't change your approach for this game after playing 'green light' all season. And preparing to play it all preseason. Syracuse does not play a lot of players the same way we do; you treat this like the boxing match where the body punches accumulate over the fight. Make their middies run up and down against our wave of two-ways and break them in the last third of the game. Mellin is still out too.

Put them on their heels! And don't let up.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

LRoggy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:10 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 am
Completely wrong, that would be a disaster for us. You don't change your approach for this game after playing 'green light' all season. And preparing to play it all preseason. Syracuse does not play a lot of players the same way we do; you treat this like the boxing match where the body punches accumulate over the fight. Make their middies run up and down against our wave of two-ways and break them in the last third of the game. Mellin is still out too.

Put them on their heels! And don't let up.
While I agree that Hobart has to play their game for sure, your incorrect about SU not playing a lot of players. SU is 4or 5 deeper SSDM, will run the two lsms Interchangeably and was going 4 or 5 deep at close until Mellen went down. SU has been running mostly 2 mid lines but has a 3rd that the staff has given some run as well. I suspect Hobart will tighten up there lineup Friday as I think its highly unlikely Hobart can out depth SU at middie.

Hobart definitely can win this game but they will need to slow down Phaup at the X and the overall offensive depth of SU. Rehfuss has had a lot of success against Bart in his career and he and Scanlan will likely be tough to stop after the Army donut
tech37

Post by tech37 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:00 pm Hobart definitely can win this game but they will need to slow down Phaup at the X and the overall offensive depth of SU.
correctamundo
DMac

Post by DMac »

....and that's not restricted to Phaup. As is his style, JD works his favorite FOGO like a rented mule while he has pretty good other ones on the sideline. Varello has been pretty darn good so far this year when he's been sent out there. That's two FOGOs the Statesmen are going to have to be able to match up with. Big trouble because we all know face offs win games!!!!!! ;)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:41 pm ....and that's not restricted to Phaup. As is his style, JD works his favorite FOGO like a rented mule while he has pretty good other ones on the sideline. Varello has been pretty darn good so far this year when he's been sent out there. That's two FOGOs the Statesmen are going to have to be able to match up with. Big trouble because we all know face offs win games!!!!!! ;)
couldn't have said it any better, dmac. if hobart can't trim what could be a major disadvantage there, just don't see how they can keep up. coaches across the country need to get rid of the "ground balls win games" pitch and call it what it is.
if hobart can't do that, the statesmen are gonna have to outscore them!
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

This will be an old school Hobart run and gun contest. Yes I said Hobart run and gun. Well before SU adopted this style, the Statesmen were known for it even preceding my days there. Bart has their own 2 headed faceoff team (with a third in the wings). We need our D to keep Sam from seeing too many open looks as Trimboli, Curry and Scanlan are excellent shooters. Net corners will need to be re-inforced.

https://www.si.com/vault/1974/04/22/614 ... -big-shots
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:45 pm This will be an old school Hobart run and gun contest. Yes I said Hobart run and gun. Well before SU adopted this style, the Statesmen were known for it even preceding my days there. Bart has their own 2 headed faceoff team (with a third in the wings). We need our D to keep Sam from seeing too many open looks as Trimboli, Curry and Scanlan are excellent shooters. Net corners will need to be re-inforced.

Amen brother! We'll see who is in better shape.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

LRoggy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:32 pm
oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:45 pm This will be an old school Hobart run and gun contest. Yes I said Hobart run and gun. Well before SU adopted this style, the Statesmen were known for it even preceding my days there. Bart has their own 2 headed faceoff team (with a third in the wings). We need our D to keep Sam from seeing too many open looks as Trimboli, Curry and Scanlan are excellent shooters. Net corners will need to be re-inforced.

Didn't Cuse blow them out--in Geneva--last year? What's changed for the better for Hobart? SU added Scanlan, not sure if Mellen plays or not. Haven't seen Hobart much, but don't believe they can get away with not sliding to the SU midfielders.
SU comfortably 16-8
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

oldjayfan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:42 pm
LRoggy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:32 pm

Didn't Cuse blow them out--in Geneva--last year? What's changed for the better for Hobart? SU added Scanlan, not sure if Mellen plays or not. Haven't seen Hobart much, but don't believe they can get away with not sliding to the SU midfielders.
SU comfortably 16-8
Different OC and a revamped defense to name 2 things OJF. We only have one comparable opponent, Colgate. Very similar scores. Doubt it is anywhere near your prediction.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Head says Cuse by 3 19 -16.

Heart says the brave Statesmen by two scalps 17-15.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:18 am Head says Cuse by 3 19 -16.

Heart says the brave Statesmen by two scalps 17-15.
Hopefully you won’t need your cardiologist!
Every year ‘Cuse is loaded they have waves of AA’s coming in all game long
We can often match on skills but just have not had the stud athletes to match up
This team has shown we have lots of guys that can run
We’ll know tonight if they can run at the AA level.
Should be fun
Unfortunately I think we come up a bit short

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”