NCAA Tournament

D1 Womens Lacrosse
rc13

Re: NCAA Tournament

Post by rc13 »

Bart wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:04 am

This is what the IWLCA posted via twitter...I do not know how to imbed it so I will type it instead.

..."Multiple games have been moved to that time slot due to weather concerns. Additionally, travel concerns for teams competing with the turnaround to Thursday's quarterfinals (all on tv for the first time ever) made for mid day game necessity from the @NCAALAX committee...."

SO the coaches who are still playing want more turnaround time to get their teams home and rested prior to Thursdays games...so it seems. Reasonable take from a coaches POV.
Those travel concerns prove to be no biggie, as the only advancing team that's traveling home is Syracuse, who could not host this year.

The fairness thing with starting times/rest times in women's lax baffles me. The top seeds earn the right to not travel; the rest could possibly face the mighty and potentially overwhelming task of having travel concerns *four days* before the next round.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Quarterfinals

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:01 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:17 pm Game times for Thursday’s DI NCAAWLAX Quarterfinals (all times Eastern):

Noon: No. 7 Florida at No. 2 Maryland

2:30: No. 6 Loyola at No. 3 Boston College

5:00: No. 5 Syracuse at No. 4 Northwestern

7:30: No. 8 Stony Brook at No. 1 Carolina
It is interesting that all the seeds advanced.
I know, huh? Not one upset in the bunch. On the whole, that’s a good thing. Preserves the quarters for the top 8 best teams, which is how it should be ideally.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I have very little doubt that Maryland and Carolina will advance fairly easily. I have no stinky idea how the other two quarterfinals will go. Nada--zip--zilch.
OuttaNowhereWregget

At the Rutgers/Stony Brook post game press conference, Kailyn Hart was asked about the challenge of playing Carolina.

"We're ready for them. They're a great team. They've been undefeated so, they're due for a loss and I think that's gonna be us, so--we're coming for them." Seated to her right, coach Spallina nodded his assent.

I like that. Believing you can slay the giant has to be a part of your mindset. I wish them success.

Full presser here:

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

These are Thursday’s Best Games in order. All games will be televised on ESPNU.

– Team Rank VS Rank Opp Team Details
1 Loyola #3 vs #2 Boston College 2:30 PM
2 North Carolina #1 vs #8 Stony Brook 7:30 PM
3 Northwestern #4 vs #7 Syracuse 5:00 PM
4 Maryland #5 vs #9 Florida Noon

https://fanlax.com/2022/05/18/d1-women-quarterfinals-2/
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Taylor's Predictions

(2) Maryland vs. (7) Florida, 12 p.m.

Deciding Factor: The Draw. When the Gators and Terps met in College Park earlier this season on February 26, it was the draw that told the story, as Maryland secured 24 draws to Florida’s six and later secured an 18-6 victory. Coming off a Duke game in which the Terps outdrew the Blue Devils’ prolific draw team 18-10, the adjustment in the draw circle will need to be the Gators’ primary concern. They lost the draw 17-12 against Jacksonville, but they were able to make every ball a 50-50 battle with their gritty circle play. If the Gators are to leave College Park with a W, they will need to continue that pattern.

Predicted Winner: Maryland. Between the draw battle, the balance of scoring on the offensive end and the solid play of Sterling in cage, the Terps will be tough for Florida to minimize for a full 60 minutes, especially in College Park.

(3) Boston College vs. (6) Loyola, 2:30 p.m.

Deciding Factor: Detwiler vs. North. Loyola’s top defender, Katie Detwiler has been challenged throughout the season but will face her toughest matchup yet in Boston College’s Charlotte North. North is best known for her ability to finish from just about anywhere and has a deadly quick release. Detwiler has impeccable footwork and lightning-quick hands of her own and needs to contain North herself until the help slides arrive. The North-v-Detwiler battle will not just take place on Loyola’s defensive end but in the draw circle as well where both can create havoc and generate possession for their teams. This matchup within the game is one I am truly fascinated to watch unfold.

Predicted Winner: Loyola. I’m going with the upset here. I’m predicting that Loyola comes out on top in what I think will be the tightest game of the day. Both teams are so incredibly similar, as each squad has prolific scorers who dominate the draw circle, stout defenses who play aggressive yet clean man-to-man style defense and solid goalies who can dictate momentum from their play in the crease. This is going to be a fun one!

(4) Northwestern vs. (5) Syracuse, 5 p.m.

Deciding Factor: Turnovers. Northwestern earned a 16-15 overtime victory in the first meeting between these two teams, and as the score suggests, pretty much every statistical category in that game was even. The one area both teams will be looking to firm up on will be turnovers. Northwestern had 16 while Syracuse had 14 — a testament to the chaos both teams’ rides and defenses create — but a stat that neither coaching staff will be happy with. The team that values the ball more and keeps calm under pressure will be victorious.

Predicted Winner: Syracuse. This is the hardest game for me to predict because both Northwestern and Syracuse haven’t been playing their best lacrosse as of late. I think Syracuse will pull the win out in the end, but this is a game that could truly go either way depending on which version of each team shows up on game day. Other than limiting turnovers, the Orange will also need win the draw battle. If they can do so consistently, their balanced offense may prove too tough for the players in Northwestern’s zone to handle.

(1) North Carolina vs. (8) Stony Brook, 7:30 p.m.

Deciding Factor: Stony Brook’s zone. North Carolina’s offense is one of the most balanced and talented I’ve ever seen. They share the ball well, have numerous threats who all do different things and can attack teams from anywhere at any time. Stony Brook’s patented zone defense has played well all season long, but their biggest test will most certainly come from the Heels. If Stony Brook can generate controlled chaos for a full 60 minutes and defend the inside of the 8-meter well, they may just be able to pull off the upset.

Predicted Winner: North Carolina. I think North Carolina’s talent is impressive, but its combined lacrosse IQ all over the field is exceptional, making them twice as hard to beat. Not many teams have figured out how to successfully beat Stony Brook’s zone over the years, but I have a feeling this team will be able to find success against it as the game goes on.

TAYLOR’S TOP 10
1. North Carolina
2. Maryland
3. Boston College
4. Syracuse
5. Loyola
6. Northwestern
7. Stony Brook
8. Florida
9. Princeton
10. Rutgers
Caddy Day
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:18 pm Taylor's Predictions

Deciding Factor: Detwiler vs. North. Loyola’s top defender, Katie Detwiler has been challenged throughout the season but will face her toughest matchup yet in Boston College’s Charlotte North. North is best known for her ability to finish from just about anywhere and has a deadly quick release. Detwiler has impeccable footwork and lightning-quick hands of her own and needs to contain North herself until the help slides arrive. The North-v-Detwiler battle will not just take place on Loyola’s defensive end but in the draw circle as well where both can create havoc and generate possession for their teams. This matchup within the game is one I am truly fascinated to watch unfold.

Predicted Winner: Loyola. I’m going with the upset here. I’m predicting that Loyola comes out on top in what I think will be the tightest game of the day. Both teams are so incredibly similar, as each squad has prolific scorers who dominate the draw circle, stout defenses who play aggressive yet clean man-to-man style defense and solid goalies who can dictate momentum from their play in the crease. This is going to be a fun one!
no, no , no..this is wrong.....do not pick the underhounds...dammit
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:51 pm

Might as well get used to it, Doc. She’s not the only one who picked the Hounds.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:54 pm

Might as well get used to it, Doc. She’s not the only one who picked the Hounds.
Alyssa too????? NOOOOOOO
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:56 pm

Alyssa too????? NOOOOOOO
Halley Griggs. And the other two were, “Weeeeell, I’m picking BC but ahdunnooooo.”
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:01 pm

Alyssa too????? NOOOOOOO
Halley Griggs. And the other two were, “Weeeeell, I’m picking BC but ahdunnooooo.”
good. BC wins....book it
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:52 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:01 pm

Alyssa too????? NOOOOOOO
good. BC wins....book it
I have no confidence. But I hope you’re right.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

2 hours until the best day of D1 Women's Lacrosse. May 29 may be the best game (finals), May 27 may be the best games (semifinals), but May 19 is the best day. Four great games today starting at noon.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
OuttaNowhereWregget

Two more obvious FU goals yesterday. One at the end of BC/Loyola and one at the end of NU/Syracuse. Both as blatant as you can get. Well—to the victors go the spoils—punctuated by late in-yo-face goals, I guess. :P
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:42 pm Two more obvious FU goals yesterday. One at the end of BC/Loyola and one at the end of NU/Syracuse. Both as blatant as you can get. Well—to the victors go the spoils—punctuated by late in-yo-face goals, I guess. :P
I can tell you that BS's goal with 6 seconds left was not well received/appreciated at the field....actually kind of shocking in its unsportsmanlike action. I hope she got a talking to, but i doubt it happened. She already had 6 goals, the team was up a player with no shot clock. Uncalled for.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:10 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:42 pm Two more obvious FU goals yesterday. One at the end of BC/Loyola and one at the end of NU/Syracuse. Both as blatant as you can get. Well—to the victors go the spoils—punctuated by late in-yo-face goals, I guess. :P
I can tell you that BS's goal with 6 seconds left was not well received/appreciated at the field....actually kind of shocking in its unsportsmanlike action. I hope she got a talking to, but i doubt it happened. She already had 6 goals, the team was up a player with no shot clock. Uncalled for.
I doubt she did, Doc. I don’t know if you saw her post game interview but there was no doubt that was intentional.

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:17 pm
I doubt she did, Doc. I don’t know if you saw her post game interview but there was no doubt that was intentional.

I did not see it. It was a sad end to a good day for her. She,or her coaching staff, could use some maturity and realize that you do not need to score the +7 goal when you are advancing. Very unfortunate message
DMac

Post by DMac »

If you're emotionally involved you'd see it that way, personally I saw nothing wrong with it, she apparently just wanted to end it that way. Leave the cage open and you take that risk. The girls are probably long over it while parents lament. This was a meaningless goal which didn't end the game on a sour note to these eyes (nor the majority of objective viewers with no dog in the hunt, no doubt).
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:35 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:17 pm
I did not see it. It was a sad end to a good day for her. She,or her coaching staff, could use some maturity and realize that you do not need to score the +7 goal when you are advancing. Very unfortunate message
Other than that--how was Beantown? First visit? Impressions?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”