Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
jff97

Re: Recruiting

Post by jff97 »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:06 pm
Carolinagrad wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:46 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:47 am
spidey44 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:30 am Laake to MD. Nice to see Cathy keep another top recruit at home!
Wow... didn't see that coming. Congrats to Maryland.
Laake’s brother is a Terp recruit, and the mother and Cathy Reese are good friends. Good get by the Terps but I am surprised it took her this long to commit. Meanwhile the Heels are absolutely crushing it. No doubt Carolina, BC, and Florida with the top classes. UVA maybe number 4, Michigan 5.
It's good to see a kid take their time with a big decision like this. She's smart and weighed out her options most likely.
I think it's also important to remember how compressed this decision is compared to other sports. It's been 18 days since coaches were allowed to contact players. In other sports these decisions can take months.
Ceaser123

Post by Ceaser123 »

Crazy how many top recruits UNC gets. The 2025 class was INSANELY stacked. They had something like 7 5 stars. Do I think Buffardi will play yes absolutely she is that good. When I am not sure. But what about everyone else? And I know its a great school and great program but most of these kids have never sat on a bench. At least UNC gets the best players for there starters to play against in practice.

UNC has one more 4 star at this point then FL.

But both are really strong classes
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Ceaser123 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:28 pm Crazy how many top recruits UNC gets. The 2025 class was INSANELY stacked. They had something like 7 5 stars. Do I think Buffardi will play yes absolutely she is that good. When I am not sure. But what about everyone else? And I know its a great school and great program but most of these kids have never sat on a bench. At least UNC gets the best players for there starters to play against in practice.

That point has been made in the recent past. You figure all these girls assume they are the best and they'll be playing. Obviously none of them plan on riding the bench. BC with 10 recruits??? Only 1 ball to go around. The next few years will be interesting.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Ceaser123 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:28 pm Crazy how many top recruits UNC gets. The 2025 class was INSANELY stacked. They had something like 7 5 stars. Do I think Buffardi will play yes absolutely she is that good. When I am not sure. But what about everyone else? And I know its a great school and great program but most of these kids have never sat on a bench. At least UNC gets the best players for there starters to play against in practice.

Really close between Florida and UNC but UNC gets the edge by virtue of having 2 top 5 players. really splitting hairs. But i agree its impressive what Levy and co are doing every year on the recruiting trail. Will be interesting to see how she manages all the talent. She does play alot of players but there's only one ball. Humphrey, White, Harden, and Walker-Welch took redshirts due to injuries so a few of these recruits from 2024 and 2025 are already pushed down the depth chart.

Players graduate every year so everyone will get a shot to prove themselves. But i'm starting to wonder if it's too much talent.
But the Depth UNC will have from 2025 and later will be kinda crazy
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Been talked about a lot here last year and this current recruiting cycle. It’s hard to turn down UNC. Last year she took a 5 star to dinner on her own kid’s birthday. UNC was number 4 on her list. Recruit didn’t make it back to the campus before she called the rest of the coaches to tell them she committed to UNC.
funlaxmom

Post by funlaxmom »

I've often been accused of being a contrarian on many issues so of course you can take or leave this perspective. Were you guys watching the same 2026 tournament circuit I was this summer? Because all the hype you are creating with these "five stars" definitely didn't always manifest itself on the fields. Multiple players, who didn't attend IL events, played a quality of lacrosse that got them top looks. They went off the board in the first week of recruiting. Yet they had no "stars". While one can say the IL rankings are likely a preview of much of the talent about to hit the NCAA, there were so many kids omitted this year from the hype that I now openly question their thoroughness and accuracy. The correlation? The girls left off the rankings didn't attend IL events. So is this source truly objective?

"The coaches are polled early on before IL rankings are published." That's complete drivel.

Our family is thrilled how this played out and we didn't play any of the du du Instagram games.

Commence stone throwing.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

funlaxmom wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:08 pm I've often been accused of being a contrarian on many issues so of course you can take or leave this perspective. Were you guys watching the same 2026 tournament circuit I was this summer? Because all the hype you are creating with these "five stars" definitely didn't always manifest itself on the fields. Multiple players, who didn't attend IL events, played a quality of lacrosse that got them top looks. They went off the board in the first week of recruiting. Yet they had no "stars". While one can say the IL rankings are likely a preview of much of the talent about to hit the NCAA, there were so many kids omitted this year from the hype that I now openly question their thoroughness and accuracy. The correlation? The girls left off the rankings didn't attend IL events. So is this source truly objective?

"The coaches are polled early on before IL rankings are published." That's complete drivel.

Our family is thrilled how this played out and we didn't play any of the du du Instagram games.

Commence stone throwing.
You're not wrong...
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:01 pm

Been talked about a lot here last year and this current recruiting cycle. It’s hard to turn down UNC. Last year she took a 5 star to dinner on her own kid’s birthday. UNC was number 4 on her list. Recruit didn’t make it back to the campus before she called the rest of the coaches to tell them she committed to UNC.
That's actually insane
Ceaser123

Post by Ceaser123 »

Yes of course they miss some top talent.

But the girls that are listed as 5 stars are accurate. They dominate the field and highly contribute to the success of there teams. Most of the girls on the list have been studs for years. So I do not think they got the top talent wrong. Did they miss some sure.... I know a few girls committed to Clemson with no stars who could be 5/4 stars I will say that.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Ceaser123 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:28 pm Yes of course they miss some top talent.

But the girls that are listed as 5 stars are accurate. They dominate the field and highly contribute to the success of there teams. Most of the girls on the list have been studs for years. So I do not think they got the top talent wrong. Did they miss some sure.... I know a few girls committed to Clemson with no stars who could be 5/4 stars I will say that.
Talent matters. So ratings matter directionally for top programs as a proxy for comparing recruiting classes.

But those ratings and the hype are REALLY important to the hopes and dreams for club coaches, kids and parents who have a stake in the recruiting and commitment process.

I do think unc and bc and Florida have the best classes on paper. But the evaluation system for women’s lacrosse is pretty imperfect. Relative to football or soccer for example. Or swimming or track or tennis etc.

So congrats to the players on top ratings and their commitments. But it would be a real bummer if these instagram photos and ratings turn out to be the peak lacrosse achievement for these players….and given the ridiculous hype that has been showered on a bunch of girls who just finished their sophomore year of high school lacrosse, it’s very plausible that it will be…..
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

funlaxmom wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:08 pm I've often been accused of being a contrarian on many issues so of course you can take or leave this perspective. Were you guys watching the same 2026 tournament circuit I was this summer? Because all the hype you are creating with these "five stars" definitely didn't always manifest itself on the fields. Multiple players, who didn't attend IL events, played a quality of lacrosse that got them top looks. They went off the board in the first week of recruiting. Yet they had no "stars". While one can say the IL rankings are likely a preview of much of the talent about to hit the NCAA, there were so many kids omitted this year from the hype that I now openly question their thoroughness and accuracy. The correlation? The girls left off the rankings didn't attend IL events. So is this source truly objective?

Commence stone throwing.
I would think most if not all people here would agree with you on the missing players. And that’s not exclusive to the 26’s. It seems this has always been an issue. But for the posters getting excited about 5 stars, you have to remember, most people posting here don’t have access to watching the 26s because their daughters are already in college. So unfortunately they aren’t going to know about a stud out in Colorado or New Hampshire, or even the kid stuck on the Yellow Jackets D team. Hence why most of the reviews on how a team is doing is based on the IL rankings.

On the flip side of that, there’s a poster here who goes back and look at how all the stars and IL rankings have done over the years. Most of the 5 and 4 stars turn out to be exceptional players. And the ones that don’t that are highly ranked unfortunately hear “ bust” but I think that’s unfair. Some of those kids go to UNC and BC and unfortunately can’t hit the field because of the players and depth on the team. Kinda makes you wonder if a previous #1 didn’t go to BC and instead went to Coastal or a similar ranked team in an easier conference, they probably would be talked about as a star there and posters would be saying she would be an All American if she went to BC instead of Coastal.

IL isn’t going to hire a staff of two hundred people to go to club games and do this properly? That’s not going to happen How much money can they actually make at that website? .

Once again, I agree with you, but it is what it is.
MSLAX5

Post by MSLAX5 »

Not sure why so many people put stock into Star recruits. Many really good players are not rated. Anyone can pay inside lacrosse to review a video and rate them. Otherwise if a kid did not go to Best in Class or the IL events then they will not be rated.
Laximus

Post by Laximus »

MSLAX5 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:58 pm Not sure why so many people put stock into Star recruits. Many really good players are not rated. Anyone can pay inside lacrosse to review a video and rate them. Otherwise if a kid did not go to Best in Class or the IL events then they will not be rated.
Using the IL rankings as a means of determining best recruiting classes does not make sense. It looks like they only ranked 71 girls in the 2026 class and they are all 4 & 5 stars. I'm sure the ratings could be somewhat accurate but using such a small sample size (best case maybe half of the top 150 girls) to determine top classes is a bit of a reach. There are probably at least another 100 unrated girls that would be scattered all over and in between the current 71 kids on the rated list.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:49 pm

Commence stone throwing.
I would think most if not all people here would agree with you on the missing players. And that’s not exclusive to the 26’s. It seems this has always been an issue. But for the posters getting excited about 5 stars, you have to remember, most people posting here don’t have access to watching the 26s because their daughters are already in college. So unfortunately they aren’t going to know about a stud out in Colorado or New Hampshire, or even the kid stuck on the Yellow Jackets D team. Hence why most of the reviews on how a team is doing is based on the IL rankings.

On the flip side of that, there’s a poster here who goes back and look at how all the stars and IL rankings have done over the years. Most of the 5 and 4 stars turn out to be exceptional players. And the ones that don’t that are highly ranked unfortunately hear “ bust” but I think that’s unfair. Some of those kids go to UNC and BC and unfortunately can’t hit the field because of the players and depth on the team. Kinda makes you wonder if a previous #1 didn’t go to BC and instead went to Coastal or a similar ranked team in an easier conference, they probably would be talked about as a star there and posters would be saying she would be an All American if she went to BC instead of Coastal.

IL isn’t going to hire a staff of two hundred people to go to club games and do this properly? That’s not going to happen How much money can they actually make at that website? .

Once again, I agree with you, but it is what it is.
I would quibble and say that at least 50 percent of the 4 and 5 stars turn out to be at least significant contributors to their college programs, rather than exceptional. Less than 50 percent will be multi year starters. At least that’s my recollection from the stats posted by one of our co-posters. And the only all America lists I pay attention to are iswlca, rather than IL or US lacrosse…..

But that is still a really good predictor! Because that ratio is FAR lower for the 1000 d1 commits who are NOT ranked 4 and 5 stars….
Ceaser123

Post by Ceaser123 »

Do you think these top colleges only choose these girls because they are highly ranked or a 5 star? These coaches spend all year watching these girls. They are not getting recruited off one event like Best in Class. They are watching them at club tournaments, high school games and most if not all attend the prospect clinics. Based on where these 5 stars all ended up its safe to say those girls are the best and its based on how they performed.

Are some missed YESSSS! It is what it is.

The current players listed have dominated the 2026 class perioddddddddddddd.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

MSLAX5 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:58 pm Not sure why so many people put stock into Star recruits. Many really good players are not rated. Anyone can pay inside lacrosse to review a video and rate them. Otherwise if a kid did not go to Best in Class or the IL events then they will not be rated.
There are going to be misses in any recruiting ranking. Especially one in a sport like lacrosse where a recruited girl won't be on campus for another 2 years and not expected to contribute for another 3 or 4 years. Lots of things change regarding physical and emotional development. Lots of recruiting is projecting who can contribute in the future.

All of that being said, please list your top 20 2026 recruits. In 4 years, let's compare to the Inside Lacrosse rankings and see who did a better job.

As for me, here is my top 12 for this class

1. Bragg
2. Laake
3. O'donovan
4. Findora
5. Cacioppo
6. McHugh
7. Shaunnesey
8. Kilfoil
9. Rothfuss
10. Reese
11. Christie