Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 44WeWantMore »

When somebody is suddenly unwilling to take it to the rack, I assume a little nagging injury that is not enough to sideline him, but enough to slow him down.

Remember the wheels suddenly came off a good OSU team after glovegate. Let's hope for a bounce-back in B1G play.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:24 am Succinct.
There he is, right on schedule after a bad loss. Might be your first post in this thread of the season?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

steel_hop wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:38 am
They don't want to seem to attack on fast break. There were a number of times they had opportunities to attack on full or alow fast breaks and just decided to not. The epitome is with 20 seconds to go in the 2nd quarter. I think Collinson decided to pull back from a wide open 7 yard shot. Hopkins then fumbled around and never got a better look. For a team struggling in O. Getting some easy shots would seem to be preferred.

Defense was okay last night. The tough ride has vanished it appears.
Good post, Steel. Agree entirely on the transition point - we have guys who can run and when we've let them do it, it's been successful. When the 6t on 6 isn't working, maybe give them a bit more freedom to run? Or are we just afraid to fail? The ride was non-existent last night. Don't know if that was intentional (in that JK didn't think Navy was particularly dangerous in settled sets and didn't want to give them any lay-ups) or something else. Seems like the gameplan was to play slow and there were no adjustments when that stopped working. Sloppy game all around both from a player and coaching standpoint.

As others have mentioned, on offense, we really just need a guy who can "get a bucket" on his own. Would have thought that was 31, but that doesn't seem to be happening. The other guys we have who could do that (and aren't out for the season) are too small (23 and 4) or not quick enough (16, 51 and 9) to get the necessary initial separation.

The season is a long way from over. They've lost three games by a total of three goals, which is unbelievably frustrating. But there's no reason this team can't go 4-1 in conference and get to or win the conference tourney final. In which case, they're still playing at home in the first round. They could fall apart too. Who knows.

PS - my Navy +7.5/U 23 payed nicely.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

A couple of questions:

1. Given this loss, does Hopkins not have a chance at hosting a first round game even if they win out the rest of their schedule plus the big 10 tournament?

2. For RPI/SOS metrics, do you generally want the teams you beat to keep winning? For instance of what if UNC loses to Army, but Loyola then beats army.. what is the cause and effect of situations like this from an empirical standpoint
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

For those looking for some stinging humor give Ghetto Gary Gait a follow on Instagram. He goes on a deep run of posts regarding this loss. He also references Melendez NIL deal.

I’m not saying the money has gone to his head (I have no idea and I’ve always heard pretty positive stuff) but he sure hasn’t been the same since he signed on with Harrison’s company.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:11 am A couple of questions:

1. Given this loss, does Hopkins not have a chance at hosting a first round game even if they win out the rest of their schedule plus the big 10 tournament?

2. For RPI/SOS metrics, do you generally want the teams you beat to keep winning? For instance of what if UNC loses to Army, but Loyola then beats army.. what is the cause and effect of situations like this from an empirical standpoint
If they win out, I don't think there is any question that they end up seeded. They'd probably be top 4 seed too. Don't see that happening though.

I believe the answer is yes. if UNC and UVa were to finish 1/2 in the ACC that would be great. As would having Loyola, Towson and Georgetown win their conferences.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Last night was a disaster but the only choice is to flush it and move forward. Big Ten schedule is a chance to reset and make some changes.

1) Wings need to be re-examined. Thought Dunn did OK but got absolutely no help. It might be time to put McDermott back on offense, where they miss his energy.

2) You don't need to be a cruel heartless reprobate like 06 to acknowledge some players have had their chance but are not seizing the opportunity. These are young men trying their best, but at the end of the day the goal is to win games — you can't have guys out there with more turnovers than points. You just can't. Take a shot on a Marquis or a Jewell at that point. I'm not at practice but I continue to believe it's an utter failure of imagination that they can't find a way to get #92 on the field. They've been doing pretty well on offense up until this point so maybe they thought there was no need — but after a loss like this, everything should be back on the table.

This team can still do a lot of damage — you don't beat Virginia at Klockner by accident — but clearly they've got to take a long look in the mirror. This is the kind of loss where typically either one of two things happens: Either they let it consume them and they spiral toward catastrophe or...they do something about it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:20 am I’m not saying the money has gone to his head (I have no idea and I’ve always heard pretty positive stuff) but he sure hasn’t been the same since he signed on with Harrison’s company.
Am I the only one that sees the contraption on his ankle? Both are taped up to his calves and one of them's got a small black brace on it. I don't think that explains the entirety of his disappearing act, but surely it's a factor. He's not wearing it for fun.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:27 am
flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:20 am I’m not saying the money has gone to his head (I have no idea and I’ve always heard pretty positive stuff) but he sure hasn’t been the same since he signed on with Harrison’s company.
Am I the only one that sees the contraption on his ankle? Both are taped up to his calves and one of them's got a small black brace on it. I don't think that explains the entirety of his disappearing act, but surely it's a factor. He's not wearing it for fun.
Never noticed it. Probably because he still looks like he’s moving well to me. He cooked his man swinging across the top and then sent a pretty tough looking bouncer over the net. His speed looks good going on and off the field.

This team runs sixty deep. If he is banged up let someone else spin until he’s healthy.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:03 am When somebody is suddenly unwilling to take it to the rack, I assume a little nagging injury that is not enough to sideline him, but enough to slow him down.

Remember the wheels suddenly came off a good OSU team after glovegate. Let's hope for a bounce-back in B1G play.
It must be more than a "little nagging" injury - he's a shell of himself from last year

"Good OSU team" where wheels suddenly came off? Not even close - 11 goal loss to UVA - 13 goal loss to Notre Dame - 9 goal loss to Penn State all before the MD game. They played opponents tough in Columbus on their brand new field but just lost way too much from the '22 team.

The comments about the turf are interesting. Not saying anybody is wrong but one thing is it appears more Hopkins players are slipping than opponents. In 2014 the field was resurfaced by Shaw Sports - a big company - and their supposed state of the art - Momentum 51 turf - same as the Ravens and many other schools. I don't know why but I thought that Shaw was doing the redo this year but I can't find any reference. Hopkins blurb on the Homewood turf is still from 10 years ago. But given the locker redos and all the other upgrades I'm having a hard time believing they got Bob's Turf to put in the new field.

This game has to be worn by PM. They were not ready - even the first quarter was a little bit fool's gold - Chauvette picking corners from impossible angles - Jaronski scoring on the one unsettled Hopkins goal - Bauer picking up a rebound - only the first goal was really assisted - handing out an assist to Grimes for the 2nd Chauvette goal was very kind.

And the Navy goals - as they say you have to give credit for them making the plays but how many were so preventable?
Navy Goal #1 - Navy goalie throws an outlet pass way over the head of anybody - Hopkins defender - who should have had the ball because the ball was coming towards him - lets a Navy long stick pick it out o fthe air and start a 4 on 2 fast break
Navy goal #2 - Navy wins a face-off - OK fine - they pass it below GLE and almost look to be settling in when lo and behold there is no Hopkins 6th player within 20 yards of a Middie who could have logged on to Tik Tok before scoring and we see Martin in the screen several seconds later - how do you screw up a substitution that badly?
Navy Goal #5 - this is the one that really set the tone for the rest of the game. Why why why are two players following an absolutely no threat player down the alley leaving their most dangerous middie with all the time and room in the world? Haley had not turned his back to the field and it was a simple flip back for the goal
Navy Goal #7 - This is the other one that will drive you to drink - Navy is clearing the ball up the box side - and the clearing player passes to a short stick #26 in the middle of the field - who is running of course but since no one is around him he is in no absolute particular hurry - Deans is there - #26 is not going anywhere - he's 20-25 yards from the goal - why does Smith slide off one of Navy's most dangerous attackman and give him time and room to pick a corner - that goal never should have happened. Navy of course might have scored later in the possession but that shot? Never. If you happen to watch Dynasty on Apple TV to will see Coach Automatron say "Just Do YOUR job" about a million times. Selfish play by Smith.
Navy Goal #8 - While Chayse wishes it back if you look at the tape - Hopkins defense looks in a state of disarray - at 3:20 game time - every single Hopkins player is inside the women's 8 metter arc with the exception of Deans who is 1or 2 steps from the arc. There are only 4 Navy players in the frame - Martin has supported Arteaga I think ( 7-7 and you put a kid in who hasn't played really?) against Haley but he was looking to pass and now Martin is running across the field to the crease guy but 4 of the 6 players in that piece of field were on his team - creating a rotation that was late leaving once again Navy's hard shooting middie for a time and room
Navy Goal #9 - awesome fast break execution - maybe if the Hopkins middie could catch a simple pass that wouldn't have happened either
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

One thing QK mentioned on the broadcast is that he thought maybe the intense schedule was taking its toll, and that rang true to me. Using the USILA March 11 rankings, Hop has already played #4 (UVA), #6 (Syracuse), #7 (Denver), #11 (Georgetown), and #17 (UNC) as well as a Towson team receiving votes and a Loyola team that's inconsistent but knocked off Georgetown and Towson. The quality of those OOC opponents also means there's not much time to rest somebody with a nagging injury (e.g. Melendez maybe).

Then throw in the emotional highs and lows of the previous two games (highs after huge win over UVA, lows after close and frustrating loss to Syracuse), plus a rivalry game, and it's a recipe for the higher ranked team to have an off day.

If JHU regroups and finds significant success in the Big10 (which they're more than capable of), I think they still get a good seed in the NCAAs and are well-positioned for a deep run.
Finster

Post by Finster »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:37 pm One thing QK mentioned on the broadcast is that he thought maybe the intense schedule was taking its toll, and that rang true to me. Using the USILA March 11 rankings, Hop has already played #4 (UVA), #6 (Syracuse), #7 (Denver), #11 (Georgetown), and #17 (UNC) as well as a Towson team receiving votes and a Loyola team that's inconsistent but knocked off Georgetown and Towson. The quality of those OOC opponents also mean not much time to rest somebody with a nagging injury (e.g. Melendez maybe).

Then throw in the emotional highs and lows of the previous two games (highs after huge win over UVA, lows after close and frustrating loss to Syracuse), plus a rivalry game, and it's a recipe for the higher ranked team to have an off day.

If JHU regroups and finds significant success in the Big10 (which they're more than capable of), I think they still get a good seed in the NCAAs and are well-positioned for a deep run.

It’s somewhat amazing that JHU can beat Towson 13-5, Towson beat Navy 17-5 (!!), then Navy beat JHU. Something doesn’t compute.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:37 pm One thing QK mentioned on the broadcast is that he thought maybe the intense schedule was taking its toll, and that rang true to me. Using the USILA March 11 rankings, Hop has already played #4 (UVA), #6 (Syracuse), #7 (Denver), #11 (Georgetown), and #17 (UNC) as well as a Towson team receiving votes and a Loyola team that's inconsistent but knocked off Georgetown and Towson. The quality of those OOC opponents also means there's not much time to rest somebody with a nagging injury (e.g. Melendez maybe).

This season has some very loose parallels to the 2007 season. Before the season began, everyone knew the team had talent. The 2007 squad lost their first game in February, then won four in a row. They hit a devastating midseason “slump,” with three consecutive losses to Virginia, North Carolina, and Duke (by 2 to 3 goals each). The team, anchored by a future HOF, Paul Rabil, and two of the most clutch players of all time (Jake Byrne and Jesse Schwartzman), came together and finished the season on a 9-game winning streak.

That’s where the similarities end. The 2024 team is built very differently and PM is definitely a very different coach.

Still, we know now the heights and depths to which this team can rise and fall. When the 2007 team stood at 4-4 and seemed almost certain to finish in bitter disappointment, they chose instead to band together and become a team of destiny.

This 2024 team has the opportunity to become something special … or they can descend into mediocrity and finish the season as losers.

I have no idea where this team will go from here. In 2007, I never lost faith in that team.

This season? From my perspective, they have a lot more to prove than Rabil and Company.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Stopping by for my yearly post or two on the Hopkins forum. Which is almost always followed by being told how wrong I am. Nonetheless here it goes:

1. I have no idea how Navy finishes the year. But eye test says that’s the most talented Navy team I have seen in a while. I have no clue about them as a whole. Just remember, thinking last night, “ I haven’t seen a Navy team pass, shoot, score, Dodge, defend, etc like that in a long time”. Impressed with their raw talent. Again, no clue if it translates to results.

2. What is up with Melendez? Either he is playing through injury or the staff has deliberately chosen to utilize him differently and/or less than last year. I think my annual post last year mentioned I felt like he was the most talented player on the field when I watched him.

3. Last night was not Chase’s best night. I’ve noticed he relies pretty heavily on his stick head to make saves and doesn’t always get his body behind the ball. The trickle in goal at his feet last night was a prime example.

4. I agree with QK’s assessment on grind of the schedule. Last night’s team was sloppy and looked tired. Like they were desperately in need of a break.

5. Besides Degnon, who does what on this offense? Meaning, we know what he does and his role. But outside of him, it seems the other 5 guys don’t have much of an identity or defined role. And on Degnon, did you know he had salmonella and mono as a high schooler during his recruiting summers? Not sure if QK mentioned it during any of their broadcasts this year.

6. I think this is still a tournament team and a team who could be dangerous in the tournament. But I think that only happens if the boys all drove to their home towns today, hugged their moms, played with their dogs, and disconnected for the weekend. Come back to practice on Monday ready to hit the reset button. No reset button+no mirror 👀 +no reflection=no tournament.

Alright, Hop faithful. Roast me. Do your worst.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:29 pm Stopping by for my yearly post or two on the Hopkins forum. Which is almost always followed by being told how wrong I am. Nonetheless here it goes:

1. I have no idea how Navy finishes the year. But eye test says that’s the most talented Navy team I have seen in a while. I have no clue about them as a whole. Just remember, thinking last night, “ I haven’t seen a Navy team pass, shoot, score, Dodge, defend, etc like that in a long time”. Impressed with their raw talent. Again, no clue if it translates to results.

2. What is up with Melendez? Either he is playing through injury or the staff has deliberately chosen to utilize him differently and/or less than last year. I think my annual post last year mentioned I felt like he was the most talented player on the field when I watched him.

3. Last night was not Chase’s best night. I’ve noticed he relies pretty heavily on his stick head to make saves and doesn’t always get his body behind the ball. The trickle in goal at his feet last night was a prime example.

4. I agree with QK’s assessment on grind of the schedule. Last night’s team was sloppy and looked tired. Like they were desperately in need of a break.

5. Besides Degnon, who does what on this offense? Meaning, we know what he does and his role. But outside of him, it seems the other 5 guys don’t have much of an identity or defined role. And on Degnon, did you know he had salmonella and mono as a high schooler during his recruiting summers? Not sure if QK mentioned it during any of their broadcasts this year.

6. I think this is still a tournament team and a team who could be dangerous in the tournament. But I think that only happens if the boys all drove to their home towns today, hugged their moms, played with their dogs, and disconnected for the weekend. Come back to practice on Monday ready to hit the reset button. No reset button+no mirror 👀 +no reflection=no tournament.

You’re clearly wrong about everything, and I haven’t even bothered reading your post.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
JayBlue

Post by JayBlue »

steel_hop wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:38 am One other thing. At the current pace of play. Hopkins shouldn't stop worrying about a seed (that's not happening anymore) and worry about just making the tournament.
They will be just fine. They are a great team with so much talent and great coaches. A lot of teams are good this year. The Hopkins/Virginia game was among the best, if not THE best lacrosse game I have ever seen. That was fun to watch!
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:29 pm Stopping by for my yearly post or two on the Hopkins forum. Which is almost always followed by being told how wrong I am. Nonetheless here it goes:

No roasting warranted. Sorry!

The OOC schedule has been brutal. I'm sure they need a reset. A couple of extra days before playing Rutgers should help.

If you watch Melendez this year vs last, the thing you won't see is the type of change-of-direction dodges that made him a threat last year. I don't think the staff is making him play a different role. It just looks like he's limited physically. That's a big missing piece of the offense, losing English is the other. Still, they are capable of generating good offense; the efficiency vs Syracuse was excellent, despite missing English and Melendez/ Angelus not making an impact. Last night was hopefully a one-off with all the mistakes. Ball movement and off-ball action are critical to this offense. That tends to go away when certain guys get the ball in their stick. When we're effectively/ actually miossing key pieces, we can't afford any "black holes".

The loss of focus and composure on defense is more concerning than anything happening on the other end. There is simply no way that Navy offense should put up 10 on us. This is a very experienced group, too experienced for your better players to be free-lancing and losing the plot. Same thing has happened the past 2 weeks.

All that said, there are no dominant teams this year. Of course we will be a threat assuming we make the tournament. But if there was any complacency setting in after the UVA win, that needs to end now.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:39 am
There he is, right on schedule after a bad loss. Might be your first post in this thread of the season?
Ah, the grand BohBah of what can be talked about and when it can talked about sets down the Law.

I'm sorry I don't have the ability to watch the games live. Hmmm...something I wrote to open up my post. Yesterday was the 1st game I saw in real time this season. Sorry...

I have a kids and a life that doesn't revolve around Hopkins lacrosse. This weekend is basically the only weekend I have free between winter and spring sports. You have kids and you'll understand.

I don't get to watch games until midweek. Don't see any reason to regurgitate the same posts from right after the game. Most posters have moved on to the next week.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

JayBlue wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:50 pm
steel_hop wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:38 am One other thing. At the current pace of play. Hopkins shouldn't stop worrying about a seed (that's not happening anymore) and worry about just making the tournament.
They will be just fine. They are a great team with so much talent and great coaches. A lot of teams are good this year. The Hopkins/Virginia game was among the best, if not THE best lacrosse game I have ever seen. That was fun to watch!
Disagree. Navy wasn't a good team. They certainly played better than Hopkins. Hopkins plays like that the rest of the year they won't make the tournament.

And this board is too much...oh one off game. It will be fine.

Let's ignore the fact Hopkins is 1-5 at Rutger since going B1G. So it is more likely a loss (if they play like they did yesterday) and looking at 5-4 than 6-3.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:10 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:39 am
Ah, the grand BohBah of what can be talked about and when it can talked about sets down the Law.

I'm sorry I don't have the ability to watch the games live. Hmmm...something I wrote to open up my post. Yesterday was the 1st game I saw in real time this season. Sorry...

I have a kids and a life that doesn't revolve around Hopkins lacrosse. This weekend is basically the only weekend I have free between winter and spring sports. You have kids and you'll understand.

I don't get to watch games until midweek. Don't see any reason to regurgitate the same posts from right after the game. Most posters have moved on to the next week.
I was talking about OC.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”