All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Farfromgeneva

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Farfromgeneva »

o 10, in Staten Island, N.Y. KEVIN HAGEN FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
The Results Are In for Remote Learning: It Didn’t Work
The pandemic forced schools into a crash course in online education. Problems piled up quickly. ‘I find it hectic and stressful’

By Tawnell D. Hobbs and Lee Hawkins
June 5, 2020 12:42 pm ET

SAVE

TEXT
This spring, America took an involuntary crash course in remote learning. With the school year now winding down, the grade from students, teachers, parents and administrators is already in: It was a failure.

School districts closed campuses in March in response to the coronavirus pandemic and, with practically no time at all for planning or training, launched a grand experiment to educate more than 50 million students from kindergarten through 12th grade using technology.

The problems began piling up almost immediately. There were students with no computers or internet access. Teachers had no experience with remote learning. And many parents weren’t available to help.

In many places, lots of students simply didn’t show up online, and administrators had no good way to find out why not. Soon many districts weren’t requiring students to do any work at all, increasing the risk that millions of students would have big gaps in their learning.

“We all know there’s no substitute for learning in a school setting, and many students are struggling and falling far behind where they should be,” said Austin Beutner, superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District, in a video briefing to the community on Wednesday.

Boston public-school teacher Princess Bryant teaches her kindergarten class via videoconference from her apartment.
PHOTO: BRIAN SNYDER/REUTERS
Already, school administrators are looking ahead to an uncertain fall, when many will be trying to apply lessons gleaned from the rocky spring to try to reopen classrooms, possibly using a mix of in-person and remote learning. To prevent a repeat of the spring disaster, some of them say, more students will need suitable electronic devices and internet access, and teachers will need much better training about how best to instruct from afar.

Preliminary research suggests students nationwide will return to school in the fall with roughly 70% of learning gains in reading relative to a typical school year, and less than 50% in math, according to projections by NWEA, an Oregon-based nonprofit that provides research to help educators tailor instruction. It expects a greater learning loss for minority and low-income children who have less access to technology, and for families more affected by the economic downturn.

Pandemic Learning Slide
Some students, especially those without much structured learning from home, could have started to experience the learning loss typically associated with summer when schools closed in March because of the pandemic.

Standardized math test scores, by grade

Typical summer learning loss
If typical summer learning loss began
when schools closed
COVID-19 school closures
Typical end of school year
Eighth
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Seventh
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Sixth
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Fifth
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Fourth
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Third
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Source: NWEA
Even though many students these days are tech savvy, that doesn’t ensure they will do well with remote learning. Some education experts say there is a huge gap between what students can do for fun on their cellphones and gaming systems and how good they are at using a device for educational tasks such as reading a document, answering a question or figuring out a problem.

“I think we have this assumption that since they spend all their time on their devices, it’s no big deal for them to learn remotely,” said Janella Hinds, a social-studies teacher at the 500-student High School for Public Service in Brooklyn’s Flatbush neighborhood. “But being a digital consumer and a digital learner are two different things.”

Parents, for their part, are frustrated after more than two months of trying to supervise their children’s at-home learning while juggling jobs and other responsibilities.

“It’s been very challenging,” said Mara LaViola, who has a 17-year-old son with autism and other disabilities in the Eanes Independent School District in Austin, Texas. Initially, she figured she would be more tolerant of teaching shortcomings during such an unprecedented time. But she was dismayed that her son’s interaction with teachers didn’t extend much beyond a morning greeting.

“The vast majority of it failed because of a lack of imagination, and a lack of effort,” she said.

Molly May, the district’s executive director of special education, said she felt “all of our students got a high-level of services given the platform and their ability to access remote learning. Teachers were innovative and creative and tried to meet the needs of each child.”

School districts and teachers that had previously used forms of online learning made the transition more easily. But many educators, even those comfortable with the method, say remote learning isn’t comparable to in-person teaching.

“I find it hectic and stressful,” said Dallas middle-school teacher Delna Bryan, whose advanced Spanish classes include both fluent and nonfluent youngsters. “In the classroom, I can look around and see body language and know when some of my students not fluent in Spanish need me to switch to English. I can’t do that online. We need the interaction with the kids, face-to-face.”

Districts are now debating what they should do when schools reopen for the next academic year—whether to rewind back to where students left off in March, or to plow ahead with the regular curriculum and let teachers fill in missing skills. Some plan to administer exams at the start of the school year to gauge learning shortfalls.

Unplugged
Roughly 20% of students nationwide don't have access to the technology they need for remote learning.

Estimated percentage of students without reliable internet connection, 2019

Less than 15%
15%–19%
20%–24%
25% or more
R.I.
Conn.
N.J.
Del.
Md.
D.C.
Source: EducationSuperHighway
School districts didn’t realize the number of students without access to devices and the internet until they surveyed parents. Districts that could afford to do so hurried to buy the technology needed to get students online. Some, such as those in Austin and Belleville, Ill., put Wi-Fi wired buses in parking lots for students to connect from their parents’ cars. Many districts prepared printed packets of work for students without online access, which were handed out in food drive-through lines at schools.

One major issue has been how to assess students fairly when learning is done remotely. Many school districts aren’t comfortable issuing grades for remote work. Some have told teachers not to give failing grades because of equity issues. Many are using a “hold harmless” approach, where grades that negatively affect students can’t be used, but ones that help them or are neutral are permitted. Some teachers believe the rule has simply resulted in students not doing work.

A student received a laptop computer for remote learning at Bell High School in Bell, Calif., in April.
PHOTO: FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
Others worry that remote learning facilitates cheating. “Whatever work we’re receiving online may not always necessarily be the work completed by the child,” said Alexa Sorden, founding principal of Concourse Village Elementary School in the Bronx.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

How was your family’s experience with remote learning? Join the conversation below.

Some of the nation’s largest school districts, including Los Angeles and Chicago, concerned about inequities in internet access and parental involvement, have told teachers not to give students failing final grades or anything lower than what they had before the shutdown. Washington state banned “F” grades in all of its districts.

“We can’t use the shutdown to fail them,” said Michael Hinojosa, superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District in Texas. “And some teachers are really good with this and some of them are not. We didn’t want to penalize people until we can make it better.”

Dr. Hinojosa said students won’t be failed for not completing remote work assignments, but those already failing before the pandemic who didn’t do any work will still fail. He said teachers can give an “incomplete” to students who fell short of passing but are willing to complete the work over the summer.

WHAT’S NEWS
The Wall Street Journal Whats News
The Lessons Learned From Remote Learning

00:00 / 14:51

1x
SUBSCRIBE
Many teachers unions have been supportive of not grading students because of inequities, although some of their members feel like it allows students to slack off.

Remote learning has turned the simple task of taking attendance into a challenge. Many count students as present if they log in to do work in programs like Google Classroom, an online classroom manager. Some give attendance credit for weekly progress on completed work, while others allow parents to call in to vouch for their children. Some districts aren’t bothering with attendance at all. Those that have been able to track attendance say it has been below regular levels.

‘It’s simply not acceptable that we lose touch’ with students, said Austin Beutner, superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District.
PHOTO: DAMIAN DOVARGANES/ASSOIATED PRESS
Some students have simply gone missing. Early into the shutdown, the Los Angeles Unified School District estimated that on any given day in a week span, 32% of high-school students didn’t log in to learn.

Mr. Beutner, the Los Angeles superintendent, said at the time that some of those missing are among the most vulnerable—those in the foster-care system or living in deep poverty, students with disabilities and those who regularly missed school in ordinary times.

“It’s simply not acceptable that we lose touch,” he said, while noting that the number of students logging in has grown as the district worked to provide students with laptops and internet access.

Some districts have opted to end the academic year early. The Bibb County School District in Georgia wrapped up on May 1, three weeks ahead of time. Officials cited stress on the community and said they planned to use the time to get ready for next school year.

Related Video
As Countries Reopen, Social Distancing Measures Remain in Place
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

UP NEXT

0:00 / 2:46
From a coffee shop delivery train in New Zealand to plastic partitions at eateries in Thailand, different countries are finding ways to help the public maintain social distancing measures as restrictions begin to ease. Credit: Saul Loeb/AFP
The Quitman Independent School District in Texas stopped giving new assignments two weeks before the school year ended to focus on teaching life skills. Based on their age, students were asked to complete tasks ranging from making a bed to changing a tire to reading a bill.

“Parents are overwhelmed,” said Rhonda Turner, superintendent of the 1,200-student Quitman district. “It seemed like a perfect time to implement this. We’ve had a phenomenal response” from students and parents.

Lucia Curatolo-Boylan, a mother of four children, ages 4 to 10, in New York City public schools, found supervising the schooling a challenge. “It was definitely more difficult than I probably could have ever expected,” she said. “There was a lot that my oldest son was able to do on his own, which was wonderful. But the other two children really required my constant supervision and presence, which made it also harder to be there for my baby. Her nursery school education of her letters and numbers is quickly disappearing and not a priority because I had to sit with my kindergartner from 9 to 2 every day.”

Her son, 10-year-old Miles, has found remote learning exhausting and unpredictable. “Sometimes you have a lot of work and sometimes you don’t,” he said, recalling a time when he worked “almost an entire school day on three things.”

Some schools, particularly those with ample resources and some experience with remote learning, had a far easier time of it than most.

Ms. Curatolo-Boylan says she hasn’t had enough time to work with her 4-year-old daughter, Mara Jane Boylan, on top, because the schoolwork of two of her older children requires so much supervision.
PHOTO: KEVIN HAGEN FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL (2)
In Broward County Public Schools in Florida, the district had been building its technology program for several years and many teachers were already managing classwork online, so things have gone more smoothly. Nevertheless, a survey of Broward students in grades 6 through 12 found that 52% don’t feel motivated to complete distance-learning assignments. About 45% said they almost never receive adult help at home to complete assignments.

Administrators at Riverdale Country School, a private school in New York City, said their foray into online learning was successful, thanks to careful preparation and execution and having the resources to pull it off. The transition involved a month of infrastructure design and collaboration between administrators, teachers, the school’s technology team, students and parents.

Faculty and students participated in one-hour training sessions during the school day, and the school closed for two days before its spring break for a remote learning trial run.

As the school year comes to a close, districts are focused on making improvements. Some will use summer break to retool remote learning, provide teachers with professional training to use it, and work to outfit students with needed technology, with hopes of using federal stimulus money to do so.

About 9.7 million students aren’t connected to the internet, according to an estimate by the EducationSuperHighway, a nonprofit focused on connectivity in public schools. “As a nation, we were not prepared to take learning online,” said founder and CEO Evan Marwell.

Louisiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, West Virginia and Washington, D.C., have the largest percentage of unconnected students, ranging from 26% to 28%, more than the national average of about 20%. New Hampshire, North Dakota and Utah have the lowest percentage, ranging from 10% to 12%.

Many districts plan to offer summer school, likely remotely, to get students caught up and help combat “Covid slide.” But some educators worry that the same remote learning that wasn’t effective in the spring won’t have changed much for summer.

New York City Department of Education will provide remedial instruction over the summer and possibly in the fall to thousands of students who have fallen behind during remote classes this spring. Officials expect about 177,000 of the city’s 1.1 million public-school students to enroll in remote summer learning, with about 102,000 of them required to take part.

New York City intends to provide remedial instruction over the summer and possibly in the fall to thousands of students who have fallen behind during remote classes.
PHOTO: SPENCER PLATT/GETTY IMAGES
School superintendents differ on how to reopen schools in the fall using social-distancing practices. Many are contemplating a hybrid system of splitting up classes and rotating students in and out of classrooms, with some reporting to the school on some days while the others work remotely. Another strategy being explored is to have younger students who can’t be home alone in classrooms every day, while older students learn at home.

To keep everyone safe, districts are considering new rules such as requiring students and teachers to wear masks, having students eat lunch in classrooms and requiring them to attend school in person only two days a week. Other possibilities include prohibiting the sharing of school supplies and the spacing of desks closer than 6 feet apart, and limiting parents and other visitors on campuses.

Educators hope that the rockiest days of remote learning are behind them.

“We’ve been building this plane and flying it at the same time,” said Danielle Buttacavoli, a school counselor at IS 61, the William A. Morris Intermediate School, in Staten Island. “We’ve been getting stronger at using these platforms, and I think the same goes for the students.”

Write to Tawnell D. Hobbs at [email protected] and Lee Hawkins at [email protected]

Copyright ©2021 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8
Appeared in the June 6, 2020, print edition as '.'
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Bart wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:05 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:33 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:13 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:52 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:47 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:18 pm it's impossible to not have seen these discussions coming a mile away.
you should listen to our authorities and see the numbers.
if you don't, you're a mouth breather.
put them in the pen, they don't care about society and don't belong in mine.
forget about any and all nuance vs. what we're commanding.

in any event, commandments already thrown down and more coming.
Serious question: what is the nuance you’re looking for? Can you give me an example?
if i might start with the admission that i'm not a public health policy wonk...
we've continued to go down the path of partisanship with our policy, and it's far from shocking that our minions continue to fall in line.
to wit:
r's - it's no big deal and the vaxx is coming. could be a hoax.
d's - i wouldn't take the vaxx based on who's in charge, it's rushed, and we should be testing like crazy, contact tracing, yada, putting any and all efforts into squashing the virus. here's my plan for doing that.
r's - stolen election, wouldn't let us get the vaxx preelection, any and all "my rights" claims
d's - vaxx is great now, forget about all that other stuff we mentioned, take it or else.

then you go down the line, and there is a largest cohort (r's) that aren't falling in line (not surprising) and many others in large %s, smaller cohorts, but not in the same venn diagram. so why is that? to me, therein lies the problem. trust. trust, or lack of it, is in the venn diagram for everyone.

so how do you kick solutions? well, one try is mandate ish. well, that was easy. we'll see how it goes.

another would be to do what you promised. testing like crazy. right now, you could concentrate it regionally. if you think you could mandate vaxxes, no doubt you could mandate testing. we were at 2 million tests/day when we were doing 40-70 cases last summer. and that suck.ed, right? now we're at 150k cases and are we at 5-10 million tests? no we're not. whither contact tracing? 95 mask production companies going out of business.

it's easier to just mandate vaxxes, and see how it goes. i do gotta hand it to joe. this takes some balls. my handicap it's a vote loser. maybe a big one. and i'm old enough to remember when forward policies were lobbied to not disproportionately, negatively impact disenfranchised or minority groups any longer. i guess this is the gov't knows what's best for them?

you might not like fatty's presentation, but where's the effort on preinfection with these mandates? i don't see it forthcoming shortly, and it's really not a big leap to guess why -- that blunts vaxx rates.

and above all else... this has been a quick turnaround for a vaxx. not the 5-10 year timeline that peeps (d's?) were talking about in 2020. to think there wouldn't be issues, to the degree we've had them and in this environment, is folly.

we're using a blunt instrument. because it's easier than doing the hard work, or at least having a plan. same as what i was getting at on schools. we'll see if it's effective.

most here are okay with it. because it's 2021. imo.
Biden did just commit to production of rapid antigen tests. Not enough IMO but it is a start.
ah.....but which ones? The one TLD posted, does not work on the vaccinated. At all. apparently ;)
Good thing we’re not looking for antibodies 😉
I saw your answer before I even typed my question. (true )

No, in this case, by mentioning Biden/antigen, antibodies aren't being looked for.

This time, I can't see what you will answer, so here goes:

Antigen tests are for all, or only the vaccinated ?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
a fan

Re: Love to c DocB bash this

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:58 pm Yes you can, and you did when you compared what we're dealing with today as compared to the past. Things are completely different based on social media and all other things mentioned earlier
Yes, I agree. When I say "you can't square these two behaviors", I mean---these folks aren't using logic.

And that's fine---but once you go off the logic train, you can't use logic to get back on. So you can't say you trust the .gov for making sure that Menactra is safe...and turn around and scream "conspiracy" for Comirnaty. You have to pick a lane.

In other words, if you're going to ignore logic, that's cool. But don't come back to use it later.
tech37 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:58 pm Also, the fact that these vaccines were based on novel technology and rushed into service did not help with already skeptical people.
The K-12 vaccines were based on trust built over years of efficacy, different but proven/trusted technology
This part is simply wrong. You---and everyone else here----doesn't know the first thing about, for example, the meningitis vaccine. You have no clue what's in it, how it was made, when it was invented, and what the side effects are. Neither do I, obviously.

So you can't reasonably say you don't trust the science of the Covid Vaccine, while you DO trust the science for other vaccines----when you can't even tell me when the other vaccines were invented, and what the side effects for each vaccine is, sorry. You have to pick a lane.

Again, assuming you want to be reasonable.

And I'd wager my entire business that you couldn't find a single anti-Covid vaxxer who knows that the meningitis vax is 21st century technology, for example. Yet they take it to enter college, and have their children do the same. And have no problems that Universities FORCE meningitis vaccinations for on campus instruction. Again, you can't have it both ways.
tech37 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:58 pm What isn't novel, is people's distrust of institutions...that was simmering long before the pandemic.
Again, that's not true. You know the University of Indiana lawsuit? Folks upset about a vaccine mandate? Do you know what the plaintiffs "forgot"?

They forgot that the U of Indiana mandates several vaccines besides Covid. So you can't peg it on distrust of institutions. They plainly trust the U of Indiana enough to trust a mandate for an 11 year old vaccine for meningitis that they know NOTHING about. We're not talking about penicillin here, tech.

So that's demonstrably false. They trust the .gov just fine when it suits the internet narrative. The internet isn't talking about the meningitis vaccine. So guess what? They trust it, without question. I read it from "some guy on the internet" is who is driving the bus, my man. Fauci can't counter that.

But yes, you can gripe about Fauci all you like. I think that you forget that at no point was Fauci in charge. He worked for Trump, and now Biden. THEY call the shots, not Fauci. Blame them. The buck stops here, and all that....

Edit to add ....Appreciate the back and forth. And no vortexes, as promised. ;) We can move on, if you're good.
Bart

Post by Bart »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:31 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:05 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:33 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:13 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:52 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:47 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:18 pm it's impossible to not have seen these discussions coming a mile away.
you should listen to our authorities and see the numbers.
if you don't, you're a mouth breather.
put them in the pen, they don't care about society and don't belong in mine.
forget about any and all nuance vs. what we're commanding.

in any event, commandments already thrown down and more coming.
Serious question: what is the nuance you’re looking for? Can you give me an example?
if i might start with the admission that i'm not a public health policy wonk...
we've continued to go down the path of partisanship with our policy, and it's far from shocking that our minions continue to fall in line.
to wit:
r's - it's no big deal and the vaxx is coming. could be a hoax.
d's - i wouldn't take the vaxx based on who's in charge, it's rushed, and we should be testing like crazy, contact tracing, yada, putting any and all efforts into squashing the virus. here's my plan for doing that.
r's - stolen election, wouldn't let us get the vaxx preelection, any and all "my rights" claims
d's - vaxx is great now, forget about all that other stuff we mentioned, take it or else.

then you go down the line, and there is a largest cohort (r's) that aren't falling in line (not surprising) and many others in large %s, smaller cohorts, but not in the same venn diagram. so why is that? to me, therein lies the problem. trust. trust, or lack of it, is in the venn diagram for everyone.

so how do you kick solutions? well, one try is mandate ish. well, that was easy. we'll see how it goes.

another would be to do what you promised. testing like crazy. right now, you could concentrate it regionally. if you think you could mandate vaxxes, no doubt you could mandate testing. we were at 2 million tests/day when we were doing 40-70 cases last summer. and that suck.ed, right? now we're at 150k cases and are we at 5-10 million tests? no we're not. whither contact tracing? 95 mask production companies going out of business.

it's easier to just mandate vaxxes, and see how it goes. i do gotta hand it to joe. this takes some balls. my handicap it's a vote loser. maybe a big one. and i'm old enough to remember when forward policies were lobbied to not disproportionately, negatively impact disenfranchised or minority groups any longer. i guess this is the gov't knows what's best for them?

you might not like fatty's presentation, but where's the effort on preinfection with these mandates? i don't see it forthcoming shortly, and it's really not a big leap to guess why -- that blunts vaxx rates.

and above all else... this has been a quick turnaround for a vaxx. not the 5-10 year timeline that peeps (d's?) were talking about in 2020. to think there wouldn't be issues, to the degree we've had them and in this environment, is folly.

we're using a blunt instrument. because it's easier than doing the hard work, or at least having a plan. same as what i was getting at on schools. we'll see if it's effective.

most here are okay with it. because it's 2021. imo.
Biden did just commit to production of rapid antigen tests. Not enough IMO but it is a start.
ah.....but which ones? The one TLD posted, does not work on the vaccinated. At all. apparently ;)
Good thing we’re not looking for antibodies 😉
I saw your answer before I even typed my question. (true )

No, in this case, by mentioning Biden/antigen, antibodies aren't being looked for.

This time, I can't see what you will answer, so here goes:

Antigen tests are for all, or only the vaccinated ?
For all. Should have been a public health priority from the get go.

If you really want to keep schools/colleges open I would test everyone every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday nights. From My understanding tests are most sensitive when people are actively contagious. Worried about false positives? Then follow up the rapid antigen test with a PCR test.

You could do the same for people going to work.

Obviously currently we do not have the capacity to do this. But imo, up to now the government has put all their eggs in the vaccine basket. That certainly is one way to get R below 1.0 but you need buy in greater than we have now. You know how else? Public health measures like testing, especially at home rapid antigen testing. Just my non-epidemiological trained $0.02.

This is certainly one of the nuances I was talking about. Should have been a multi pronged approach but it was not.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:17 pm o 10, in Staten Island, N.Y. KEVIN HAGEN FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
The pandemic forced schools into a crash course in online education. Problems piled up quickly. ‘I find it hectic and stressful’

SAVE

TEXT
This spring, America took an involuntary crash course in remote learning. With the school year now winding down, the grade from students, teachers, parents and administrators is already in: It was a failure.

School districts closed campuses in March in response to the coronavirus pandemic and, with practically no time at all for planning or training, launched a grand experiment to educate more than 50 million students from kindergarten through 12th grade using technology.

The problems began piling up almost immediately. There were students with no computers or internet access. Teachers had no experience with remote learning. And many parents weren’t available to help.

In many places, lots of students simply didn’t show up online, and administrators had no good way to find out why not. Soon many districts weren’t requiring students to do any work at all, increasing the risk that millions of students would have big gaps in their learning.

“We all know there’s no substitute for learning in a school setting, and many students are struggling and falling far behind where they should be,” said Austin Beutner, superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District, in a video briefing to the community on Wednesday.

Boston public-school teacher Princess Bryant teaches her kindergarten class via videoconference from her apartment.
Already, school administrators are looking ahead to an uncertain fall, when many will be trying to apply lessons gleaned from the rocky spring to try to reopen classrooms, possibly using a mix of in-person and remote learning. To prevent a repeat of the spring disaster, some of them say, more students will need suitable electronic devices and internet access, and teachers will need much better training about how best to instruct from afar.

Preliminary research suggests students nationwide will return to school in the fall with roughly 70% of learning gains in reading relative to a typical school year, and less than 50% in math, according to projections by NWEA, an Oregon-based nonprofit that provides research to help educators tailor instruction. It expects a greater learning loss for minority and low-income children who have less access to technology, and for families more affected by the economic downturn.

Pandemic Learning Slide
Some students, especially those without much structured learning from home, could have started to experience the learning loss typically associated with summer when schools closed in March because of the pandemic.

when schools closed
COVID-19 school closures
Eighth
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Seventh
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Sixth
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Fifth
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Fourth
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Third
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Even though many students these days are tech savvy, that doesn’t ensure they will do well with remote learning. Some education experts say there is a huge gap between what students can do for fun on their cellphones and gaming systems and how good they are at using a device for educational tasks such as reading a document, answering a question or figuring out a problem.

“I think we have this assumption that since they spend all their time on their devices, it’s no big deal for them to learn remotely,” said Janella Hinds, a social-studies teacher at the 500-student High School for Public Service in Brooklyn’s Flatbush neighborhood. “But being a digital consumer and a digital learner are two different things.”

Parents, for their part, are frustrated after more than two months of trying to supervise their children’s at-home learning while juggling jobs and other responsibilities.

“It’s been very challenging,” said Mara LaViola, who has a 17-year-old son with autism and other disabilities in the Eanes Independent School District in Austin, Texas. Initially, she figured she would be more tolerant of teaching shortcomings during such an unprecedented time. But she was dismayed that her son’s interaction with teachers didn’t extend much beyond a morning greeting.

“The vast majority of it failed because of a lack of imagination, and a lack of effort,” she said.

Molly May, the district’s executive director of special education, said she felt “all of our students got a high-level of services given the platform and their ability to access remote learning. Teachers were innovative and creative and tried to meet the needs of each child.”

School districts and teachers that had previously used forms of online learning made the transition more easily. But many educators, even those comfortable with the method, say remote learning isn’t comparable to in-person teaching.

“I find it hectic and stressful,” said Dallas middle-school teacher Delna Bryan, whose advanced Spanish classes include both fluent and nonfluent youngsters. “In the classroom, I can look around and see body language and know when some of my students not fluent in Spanish need me to switch to English. I can’t do that online. We need the interaction with the kids, face-to-face.”

Districts are now debating what they should do when schools reopen for the next academic year—whether to rewind back to where students left off in March, or to plow ahead with the regular curriculum and let teachers fill in missing skills. Some plan to administer exams at the start of the school year to gauge learning shortfalls.

Unplugged
Roughly 20% of students nationwide don't have access to the technology they need for remote learning.

Less than 15%
15%–19%
20%–24%
25% or more
R.I.
Conn.
N.J.
Del.
Md.
D.C.
School districts didn’t realize the number of students without access to devices and the internet until they surveyed parents. Districts that could afford to do so hurried to buy the technology needed to get students online. Some, such as those in Austin and Belleville, Ill., put Wi-Fi wired buses in parking lots for students to connect from their parents’ cars. Many districts prepared printed packets of work for students without online access, which were handed out in food drive-through lines at schools.

One major issue has been how to assess students fairly when learning is done remotely. Many school districts aren’t comfortable issuing grades for remote work. Some have told teachers not to give failing grades because of equity issues. Many are using a “hold harmless” approach, where grades that negatively affect students can’t be used, but ones that help them or are neutral are permitted. Some teachers believe the rule has simply resulted in students not doing work.

A student received a laptop computer for remote learning at Bell High School in Bell, Calif., in April.
Others worry that remote learning facilitates cheating. “Whatever work we’re receiving online may not always necessarily be the work completed by the child,” said Alexa Sorden, founding principal of Concourse Village Elementary School in the Bronx.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

How was your family’s experience with remote learning? Join the conversation below.

Some of the nation’s largest school districts, including Los Angeles and Chicago, concerned about inequities in internet access and parental involvement, have told teachers not to give students failing final grades or anything lower than what they had before the shutdown. Washington state banned “F” grades in all of its districts.

“We can’t use the shutdown to fail them,” said Michael Hinojosa, superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District in Texas. “And some teachers are really good with this and some of them are not. We didn’t want to penalize people until we can make it better.”

Dr. Hinojosa said students won’t be failed for not completing remote work assignments, but those already failing before the pandemic who didn’t do any work will still fail. He said teachers can give an “incomplete” to students who fell short of passing but are willing to complete the work over the summer.

WHAT’S NEWS

1x
SUBSCRIBE
Many teachers unions have been supportive of not grading students because of inequities, although some of their members feel like it allows students to slack off.

Remote learning has turned the simple task of taking attendance into a challenge. Many count students as present if they log in to do work in programs like Google Classroom, an online classroom manager. Some give attendance credit for weekly progress on completed work, while others allow parents to call in to vouch for their children. Some districts aren’t bothering with attendance at all. Those that have been able to track attendance say it has been below regular levels.

‘It’s simply not acceptable that we lose touch’ with students, said Austin Beutner, superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District.
Some students have simply gone missing. Early into the shutdown, the Los Angeles Unified School District estimated that on any given day in a week span, 32% of high-school students didn’t log in to learn.

Mr. Beutner, the Los Angeles superintendent, said at the time that some of those missing are among the most vulnerable—those in the foster-care system or living in deep poverty, students with disabilities and those who regularly missed school in ordinary times.

“It’s simply not acceptable that we lose touch,” he said, while noting that the number of students logging in has grown as the district worked to provide students with laptops and internet access.

Some districts have opted to end the academic year early. The Bibb County School District in Georgia wrapped up on May 1, three weeks ahead of time. Officials cited stress on the community and said they planned to use the time to get ready for next school year.

Related Video
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

UP NEXT

From a coffee shop delivery train in New Zealand to plastic partitions at eateries in Thailand, different countries are finding ways to help the public maintain social distancing measures as restrictions begin to ease. Credit: Saul Loeb/AFP
The Quitman Independent School District in Texas stopped giving new assignments two weeks before the school year ended to focus on teaching life skills. Based on their age, students were asked to complete tasks ranging from making a bed to changing a tire to reading a bill.

“Parents are overwhelmed,” said Rhonda Turner, superintendent of the 1,200-student Quitman district. “It seemed like a perfect time to implement this. We’ve had a phenomenal response” from students and parents.

Lucia Curatolo-Boylan, a mother of four children, ages 4 to 10, in New York City public schools, found supervising the schooling a challenge. “It was definitely more difficult than I probably could have ever expected,” she said. “There was a lot that my oldest son was able to do on his own, which was wonderful. But the other two children really required my constant supervision and presence, which made it also harder to be there for my baby. Her nursery school education of her letters and numbers is quickly disappearing and not a priority because I had to sit with my kindergartner from 9 to 2 every day.”

Her son, 10-year-old Miles, has found remote learning exhausting and unpredictable. “Sometimes you have a lot of work and sometimes you don’t,” he said, recalling a time when he worked “almost an entire school day on three things.”

Some schools, particularly those with ample resources and some experience with remote learning, had a far easier time of it than most.

Ms. Curatolo-Boylan says she hasn’t had enough time to work with her 4-year-old daughter, Mara Jane Boylan, on top, because the schoolwork of two of her older children requires so much supervision.
In Broward County Public Schools in Florida, the district had been building its technology program for several years and many teachers were already managing classwork online, so things have gone more smoothly. Nevertheless, a survey of Broward students in grades 6 through 12 found that 52% don’t feel motivated to complete distance-learning assignments. About 45% said they almost never receive adult help at home to complete assignments.

Administrators at Riverdale Country School, a private school in New York City, said their foray into online learning was successful, thanks to careful preparation and execution and having the resources to pull it off. The transition involved a month of infrastructure design and collaboration between administrators, teachers, the school’s technology team, students and parents.

Faculty and students participated in one-hour training sessions during the school day, and the school closed for two days before its spring break for a remote learning trial run.

As the school year comes to a close, districts are focused on making improvements. Some will use summer break to retool remote learning, provide teachers with professional training to use it, and work to outfit students with needed technology, with hopes of using federal stimulus money to do so.

About 9.7 million students aren’t connected to the internet, according to an estimate by the EducationSuperHighway, a nonprofit focused on connectivity in public schools. “As a nation, we were not prepared to take learning online,” said founder and CEO Evan Marwell.

Louisiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, West Virginia and Washington, D.C., have the largest percentage of unconnected students, ranging from 26% to 28%, more than the national average of about 20%. New Hampshire, North Dakota and Utah have the lowest percentage, ranging from 10% to 12%.

Many districts plan to offer summer school, likely remotely, to get students caught up and help combat “Covid slide.” But some educators worry that the same remote learning that wasn’t effective in the spring won’t have changed much for summer.

New York City Department of Education will provide remedial instruction over the summer and possibly in the fall to thousands of students who have fallen behind during remote classes this spring. Officials expect about 177,000 of the city’s 1.1 million public-school students to enroll in remote summer learning, with about 102,000 of them required to take part.

New York City intends to provide remedial instruction over the summer and possibly in the fall to thousands of students who have fallen behind during remote classes.
School superintendents differ on how to reopen schools in the fall using social-distancing practices. Many are contemplating a hybrid system of splitting up classes and rotating students in and out of classrooms, with some reporting to the school on some days while the others work remotely. Another strategy being explored is to have younger students who can’t be home alone in classrooms every day, while older students learn at home.

To keep everyone safe, districts are considering new rules such as requiring students and teachers to wear masks, having students eat lunch in classrooms and requiring them to attend school in person only two days a week. Other possibilities include prohibiting the sharing of school supplies and the spacing of desks closer than 6 feet apart, and limiting parents and other visitors on campuses.

“We’ve been building this plane and flying it at the same time,” said Danielle Buttacavoli, a school counselor at IS 61, the William A. Morris Intermediate School, in Staten Island. “We’ve been getting stronger at using these platforms, and I think the same goes for the students.”

Write to Tawnell D. Hobbs at [email protected] and Lee Hawkins at [email protected]

Copyright ©2021 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8
This was supposed to put colleges out of business. Who is paying to go to UVA or Duke or Ivy League schools when you can do it on line and save money!
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:38 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:17 pm o 10, in Staten Island, N.Y. KEVIN HAGEN FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

SAVE

TEXT

Pandemic Learning Slide

when schools closed
COVID-19 school closures
Eighth
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Seventh
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Sixth
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Fifth
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Fourth
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S
Third
S
O
N
D
J
F
M
A
M
J
J
A
S

Unplugged

Less than 15%
15%–19%
20%–24%
25% or more
R.I.
Conn.
N.J.
Del.
Md.
D.C.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

WHAT’S NEWS

1x
SUBSCRIBE

Related Video
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

UP NEXT

This was supposed to put colleges out of business. Who is paying to go to UVA or Duke or Ivy League schools when you can do it on line and save money!
A. Don’t tell MD his son is in that game I believe.
B. Worked well for foreign students at Fuqua for a while... https://www.gwhatchet.com/2008/09/02/gr ... g-scandal/

Now it could be good for Chegg and the crazy college book pickoff monopoly.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:42 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:15 pm
Just cosmetic. Its a D.I.Y job.

Minka Kelly…. 👍
Go watch Requiem for a Dream if you’ve forgotten how hot Jennifer Connelly is. And I’m talking beginning of movie not her outcome at the “end” (to end..). Which I may or may not find kind of hot anyways but we all know I’m a deviant.
:lol: ...misogynist alert. She's hot in any role.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:58 pm

Minka Kelly…. 👍
Go watch Requiem for a Dream if you’ve forgotten how hot Jennifer Connelly is. And I’m talking beginning of movie not her outcome at the “end” (to end..). Which I may or may not find kind of hot anyways but we all know I’m a deviant.
It’s not misogyny if you love them. Connelly, Garner, Natalie Portman and Elizabeth Shue was my list of women I’d break my own arm to be in a room with first half of the 2000s.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Re: on-line learning: My oldest grandkids (9 and7) live in Oklahoma. Last year schools could make their own Covid safety determinations and their elementary school decided on mandatory masking. The school was open the entire 20-21 school year. Never missed a day.

On July 1 Oklahoma (R gov, R legislative bodies) put into effect a mask regulation preventing local schools and governments from mandating mask use.

Last week the school emailed parents that four students had Covid and essentially begged parents to have their kids wear masks. This Wednesday a new email said an additional 15 kids were diagnosed and because the school couldn’t take the middle ground of mandatory masks they made the draconian decision to go on-line at least through the end of September.

Oh, btw, the hospital beds in Lawton OK, where they live and the home of Fort Sill, are full. https://www.kswo.com/2021/09/08/comanch ... utside-er/

Yes, anecdotal. Still deplorable.
DMac

Post by DMac »

No Alice Eve on the list? Very likable and bright too.
"Alice Sophia Eve attended Bedales School, Westminster School and St Catherine’s College, Oxford University."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyo4WyEnSXE&t=127s
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:08 pm

Minka Kelly…. 👍
It’s not misogyny if you love them. Connelly, Garner, Natalie Portman and Elizabeth Shue was my list of women I’d break my own arm to be in a room with first half of the 2000s.
Ms Shue sat at my prom table, her best friend was my GF. First Burger King gal. Nice lady. Bro Willy probably knew MD, tragic that one. Andy also acted 90210??
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:29 pm No Alice Eve on the list? Very likable and bright too.
"Alice Sophia Eve attended Bedales School, Westminster School and St Catherine’s College, Oxford University."
Oh I know Alice Eve. She’s tiny. I’m a supreme degenerate when it comes to ladies. And lately I’ve been all over Alexandra Daddario who was smoking since True Detective but top of mind from White Lotus.

Bright? I can take or leave that for my purposes here which is ensuring proper “circulation” of lower extremities.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:29 pm No Alice Eve on the list? Very likable and bright too.
I gots a great off the run European one for you.

May I present Melissa Theuriau

https://www.pinterest.com/sportsed1/melissa-theuriau/
DMac

Post by DMac »

lagerhead wrote
Ms Shue sat at my prom table, her best friend was my GF. First Burger King gal. Nice lady. Bro Willy probably knew MD, tragic that one. Andy also acted 90210??
Gotta figure she liked a Whopper then.
Tragic that one? What's that mean?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lagerhead wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:34 pm

Minka Kelly…. 👍
I would’ve broken up with her on the spot and tried to figure out a way to justify roofies if I were you.

BTW, SOFR looks lien their winning the rate war.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Minka Kelly…. 👍
Shue was Melrose Place-the best of those ladies was a lesser known one named Brooke Langton. Setting aside the immortal Heather Locklear of course.
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:47 pm
lagerhead wrote
Rope swing, think it might have been near you.
Last edited by lagerhead on Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lagerhead wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:54 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:47 pm
lagerhead wrote
Rock climbing, think it might have been near you.
Didn’t he have a drug problem as well?
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:47 pm

Minka Kelly…. 👍
I would’ve broken up with her on the spot and tried to figure out a way to justify roofies if I were you.

BTW, SOFR looks lien their winning the rate war.
Read hear good looking gals only hang with good looking gals. My date was a 10 not sure what she saw in me still friends.

% picking up notional not so much. Dealers are pissed struck with something they can’t hedge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Minka Kelly…. 👍
College classmate “dated” Phoebe Cates…. A year after Fast Times At Ridgemont High was released.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”