Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:29 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:07 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:44 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:23 pm Suing a state for what what you should be doing in the first place. Make it make sense. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/12/14/poli ... index.html
:lol: Easy to make it make sense: Trump had four full years to build to their heart's content. And apparently, AZ has money to blow.

Tell me: why the F wasn't AZ putting this up under Trump? Answer: you know EXACTLY why AZ didn't do this during Trump. But sure, pretend you don't know.
it’s always trumps fault, we heard that loud and clear the last 6 years, time to move on. Why is the fed suing them?
:lol: Why do you think? In what world is dropping that sh*t on a border helpfu? Blocks drainage, wildlife, and it's a laughable wall.

And since you're telling me you don't understand this stunt, you get that "coincidentally" Governor has a little R by his name, yeah? Been in power since 2015. So.....the reason he didn't build this fake wall of his under Trump is that this has nothing to do with a wall.

It's this: Dems are bad. That's it. Nothing more. Why do you keep falling for this stupid stuff?

You can file this stupidity in the same file as DeSantis shipping people off to Martha's Vineyard.

Here's what your team would have been doing the last two years if they were serious about fixing the problem.

-McConnell would have broken out a committee to come up with a comprehensive bill, and worked on it because there's really nothing else occupying their time.

-They present a finished bill before midterm campaign season and tell the people: "vote for us, and this bill goes to the floor in January of 2023. And if we don't pass it on the first try, we'll tweak it until it passes. It includes everything from charting a path to citizenship, to getting the correct number of
work VISAs for farm workers, to turning on EVerify and adding Felony jail time to business managers who violate the law."

It's been so long since we've actually fixed problems as a country that we don't even know what it looks like anymore.

And in two years, when your team is back in power, I'll be here to take wagers that they won't lift a finger to do what I described above.

And not one of you will take the wager. Because you know doggone well that your R's are lying to you, and have ZERO interest in fixing this.

.....remember when I told you Biden wouldn't do a freaking thing about this either. Do I have a crystal ball? Or have I just caught on that you guys are letting your leaders take you for a ride?

Wanna fix it? Call or email YOUR party and complain, my man...that's it. That's the ONLY way out. You didn't hold Trump accountable.....and now you're paying the price for that. What the heck are you in that party for, if you're gonna hand your vote away in exchange for NOTHING? All that does it tell them: no matter what you do, you have my vote. So what do you think that incentivizes?

It tells them to line their own pockets, accomplish nothing, and enjoy the money and power.
Appreciate that....that was the answer I was looking for. Since I know my influence in opinion does not hold as much weight around here as yours, maybe now we can all move forward in understanding that both sides are deadbeats on this issue and its NOT a R/L issue.

So the logical next step is why? Why does neither side 'really and truly' not give a single Fk about it, and then why are we pi$$ing away so much money for border security when both sides really don't care who the hell rolls in here.

I'll start - I've argued in the past that we need these people to keep our population growing since it is in decline and the dirty little secret is that we do not want that topic to be discussed as the reason why. Furthermore, we then have a guaranteed cheap labor pool from which to pull and we can enforce that against businesses as we please.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:00 amWhy does neither side 'really and truly' not give a single Fk about it, and then why are we pi$$ing away so much money for border security when both sides really don't care who the hell rolls in here.
At least part of the answer is: maybe it's really NOT the huge, existential threat-level issue that the right makes it out to be...?

Secondly, the Dems have been given NUMEROUS signals that if a whiff of "pathway to citizenship" is part of any large legislation on the topic, that the R's will use the power of the minority to kill such a bill. Since - i believe - they (D's) feel that this element MUST be part of comprehensive immigration reform, THEY have not put anything on the table knowing that the R's consider that a poison pill"...

Last edited by dislaxxic on Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:00 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:23 pm Suing a state for what what you should be doing in the first place. Make it make sense. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/12/14/poli ... index.html
:lol: Easy to make it make sense: Trump had four full years to build to their heart's content. And apparently, AZ has money to blow.

Tell me: why the F wasn't AZ putting this up under Trump? Answer: you know EXACTLY why AZ didn't do this during Trump. But sure, pretend you don't know.
it’s always trumps fault, we heard that loud and clear the last 6 years, time to move on. Why is the fed suing them?
:lol: Why do you think? In what world is dropping that sh*t on a border helpfu? Blocks drainage, wildlife, and it's a laughable wall.

And since you're telling me you don't understand this stunt, you get that "coincidentally" Governor has a little R by his name, yeah? Been in power since 2015. So.....the reason he didn't build this fake wall of his under Trump is that this has nothing to do with a wall.

It's this: Dems are bad. That's it. Nothing more. Why do you keep falling for this stupid stuff?

You can file this stupidity in the same file as DeSantis shipping people off to Martha's Vineyard.

Here's what your team would have been doing the last two years if they were serious about fixing the problem.

-McConnell would have broken out a committee to come up with a comprehensive bill, and worked on it because there's really nothing else occupying their time.

-They present a finished bill before midterm campaign season and tell the people: "vote for us, and this bill goes to the floor in January of 2023. And if we don't pass it on the first try, we'll tweak it until it passes. It includes everything from charting a path to citizenship, to getting the correct number of
work VISAs for farm workers, to turning on EVerify and adding Felony jail time to business managers who violate the law."

It's been so long since we've actually fixed problems as a country that we don't even know what it looks like anymore.

And in two years, when your team is back in power, I'll be here to take wagers that they won't lift a finger to do what I described above.

And not one of you will take the wager. Because you know doggone well that your R's are lying to you, and have ZERO interest in fixing this.

.....remember when I told you Biden wouldn't do a freaking thing about this either. Do I have a crystal ball? Or have I just caught on that you guys are letting your leaders take you for a ride?

Wanna fix it? Call or email YOUR party and complain, my man...that's it. That's the ONLY way out. You didn't hold Trump accountable.....and now you're paying the price for that. What the heck are you in that party for, if you're gonna hand your vote away in exchange for NOTHING? All that does it tell them: no matter what you do, you have my vote. So what do you think that incentivizes?

It tells them to line their own pockets, accomplish nothing, and enjoy the money and power.
Appreciate that....that was the answer I was looking for. Since I know my influence in opinion does not hold as much weight around here as yours, maybe now we can all move forward in understanding that both sides are deadbeats on this issue and its NOT a R/L issue.

So the logical next step is why? Why does neither side 'really and truly' not give a single Fk about it, and then why are we pi$$ing away so much money for border security when both sides really don't care who the hell rolls in here.

I'll start - I've argued in the past that we need these people to keep our population growing since it is in decline and the dirty little secret is that we do not want that topic to be discussed as the reason why. Furthermore, we then have a guaranteed cheap labor pool from which to pull and we can enforce that against businesses as we please.
I agree YA on everything including a fan's nailing it. Pols want a wedge issue to animate their voters and the businesses/donors that use undocumented labor to reduce the cost of labor won't support it - they know all of the stuff you mentioned but solving the problem of population and workforce doesn't get them re-elected and the people you mention cannot vote. We have the WRONG representation for the most part.

As a first step, we could legalize these folks, give them visa and work permits and have them pay taxes - don't even need a path to citizenship right away.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Kismet wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:25 am

I agree YA on everything including a fan's nailing it. Pols want a wedge issue to animate their voters and the businesses/donors that use undocumented labor to reduce the cost of labor won't support it - they know all of the stuff you mentioned but solving the problem of population and workforce doesn't get them re-elected and the people you mention cannot vote. We have the WRONG representation for the most part.

As a first step, we could legalize these folks, give them visa and work permits and have them pay taxes - don't even need a path to citizenship right away.
Yes, AND, it would be good for people who have come to the US for a better life, whether fleeing violence or poverty, or towards freedom and prosperity, to be able to believe that if they work hard and keep their noses clean they can 'earn' permanent citizenship. That longer term aspiration is a very positive motivation.

AND, much more investment in preventing fentanyl smuggling, terrorist or criminal gang movement, ("border control") would be embraced by nearly everyone if the above was well established and funded, making legal immigration much easier.

I agree that our political binary, especially with gerrymandering, doesn't enable this proposition to be espoused by those seeking their parties backing. So, it's a political wedge, used to divide, not solve.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:00 am Appreciate that....that was the answer I was looking for. Since I know my influence in opinion does not hold as much weight around here as yours, maybe now we can all move forward in understanding that both sides are deadbeats on this issue and its NOT a R/L issue.

+100. Yep. We're on the same page here.

The reason the Republican won't fix it is twofold. One, it gets guys like Old Salt to vote for them. Old Salt didn't notice that Trump and McConnell "forgot" to work on a comprehensive immigration reform bill, even though that was Trump's reason for running. It was his major campaign plank.

So guess what's coming? DeSantis will come and claim he'll fix it. Rinse. Repeat.

And secondly, their donors want the status quo. So that's what they give them.

For the Dems? It's only that their donors want the status quo. Their voters don't care about the issue in any meaningful way.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

People have been giving this answer repeatedly….even when Trump was in office. What has made the light bulb go off?

This is how I know politicians don’t want to fix it:

There is no good reason why we don’t have a rational immigration policy. A wall is not a policy sport.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:05 pm

People have been giving this answer repeatedly….even when Trump was in office. What has made the light bulb go off?

There is no good reason why we don’t have a rational immigration policy. A wall is not a policy sport.
Yup, back when the GOP was rational. Reagan tried to move the ball forward, got roasted by some of the "southern strategy" side of the GOP he had courted. H.W. couldn't move the needle, W wanted to do so and, IMO, likely would have been successful if he hadn't lost domestic momentum due to backlash on Iraq.

But now that "southern strategy" wing has completely overtaken the GOP.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:12 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:00 amWhy does neither side 'really and truly' not give a single Fk about it, and then why are we pi$$ing away so much money for border security when both sides really don't care who the hell rolls in here.
At least part of the answer is: maybe it's really NOT the huge, existential threat-level issue that the right makes it out to be...?

Secondly, the Dems have been given NUMEROUS signals that if a whiff of "pathway to citizenship" is part of any large legislation on the topic, that the R's will use the power of the minority to kill such a bill. Since - i believe - they (D's) feel that this element MUST be part of comprehensive immigration reform, THEY have not put anything on the table knowing that the R's consider that a poison pill"...

Gastarbeiter?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

There is no rational policy because the people who own this country like it just the way it is.

No one on this board, no matter how “comfortable@, falls into that small group.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:48 pm There is no rational policy because the people who own this country like it just the way it is.
+1. Yep.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:21 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:00 am Appreciate that....that was the answer I was looking for. Since I know my influence in opinion does not hold as much weight around here as yours, maybe now we can all move forward in understanding that both sides are deadbeats on this issue and its NOT a R/L issue.

The reason the Republican won't fix it is twofold. One, it gets guys like Old Salt to vote for them. Old Salt didn't notice that Trump and McConnell "forgot" to work on a comprehensive immigration reform bill, even though that was Trump's reason for running. It was his major campaign plank.

So guess what's coming? DeSantis will come and claim he'll fix it. Rinse. Repeat.

For the Dems? It's only that their donors want the status quo. Their voters don't care about the issue in any meaningful way.
Your spot on a Fan. Why would anybody want to fix a problem when the problem is a cash cow when running for election or reelection? The problem with illegals at our southern border is the proverbial hot potato that no politician wants to touch. Something needs to be done it is just that no politician in their right/left mind wants to touch it. There was a blurb on the NBC morning news about the expectation of 10 thousand people a day crossing the border in El Paso alone. Nobody knows what to do with them. The only option I'm reading about is to sprinkle them all over the country and hope for the best. Maybe each person crossing the border should be given a lucky rabbits foot. They are going to need some kind of luck.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:26 pm

Your spot on a Fan. Why would anybody want to fix a problem when the problem is a cash cow when running for election or reelection? The problem with illegals at our southern border is the proverbial hot potato that no politician wants to touch. Something needs to be done it is just that no politician in their right/left mind wants to touch it. There was a blurb on the NBC morning news about the expectation of 10 thousand people a day crossing the border in El Paso alone. Nobody knows what to do with them. The only option I'm reading about is to sprinkle them all over the country and hope for the best. Maybe each person crossing the border should be given a lucky rabbits foot. They are going to need some kind of luck.
It's so bad that the Colorado fruit farmers have to make long and short term decisions based on whether or not they can get Work Visas in time. And naturally, this is a HUGE reason why we're getting half our fruits and vegetables from outside the US.

These farmers don't make enough money to get the attention of Joe Biden or Trump or Obama or Bush or Clinton or, or, or......

So they're more than happy to sit back and do nothing to help them. Meanwhile, global brands for stuff like meat packing or hotels are delighted to get workers for less than market rates.

It's all about service for the 1%ers. That's it, and nothing more. Biden won't do diddly about it, and neither will DeSantis. And as I told the R's on the board....Trump wasn't gonna lift a finger to fix these problems. :lol: Why would he? He's been employing illegal workers for decades....hilarious and sad that all but a few Republican voters are too blind to see that obvious fact.
Typical Lax Dad

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:48 pm

There is no rational policy because the people who own this country like it just the way it is.

+1000. The politicians work for them.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:52 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:26 pm

It's so bad that the Colorado fruit farmers have to make long and short term decisions based on whether or not they can get Work Visas in time. And naturally, this is a HUGE reason why we're getting half our fruits and vegetables from outside the US.

These farmers don't make enough money to get the attention of Joe Biden or Trump or Obama or Bush or Clinton or, or, or......

So they're more than happy to sit back and do nothing to help them. Meanwhile, global brands for stuff like meat packing or hotels are delighted to get workers for less than market rates.

It's all about service for the 1%ers. That's it, and nothing more. Biden won't do diddly about it, and neither will DeSantis. And as I told the R's on the board....Trump wasn't gonna lift a finger to fix these problems. :lol: Why would he? He's been employing illegal workers for decades....hilarious and sad that all but a few Republican voters are too blind to see that obvious fact.
Republicans love cheap labor, they now will have a plentiful supply of it. When farm owners pay 15 dollars an hour to have someone pick their fruits and vegetables I will be impressed. Of course when we have to pay 5 dollars for a head of lettuce that will be what the market demands. Anybody that has ever picked beans from their garden knows how labor intensive it is.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:48 pmThere is no rational policy because the people who own this country like it just the way it is.

But what boggles my mind is the number of people who either are deluded into thinking they are in that group, or who buy into the political party BS and carry water for the 1%'ers anyway.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

HooDat wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:16 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:48 pmThere is no rational policy because the people who own this country like it just the way it is.

But what boggles my mind is the number of people who either are deluded into thinking they are in that group, or who buy into the political party BS and carry water for the 1%'ers anyway.
Hope springs eternal, I guess.
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:16 pm

The peasants fight on behalf of the ruling class now. January the 6th is a good example. I have been saying it for a few years. I was shot down. January the 6th was the physical manifestation of what I was saying when Trump took office. All I want from a politician is to make sure my rights are protected and that the playing field isn’t tilted based on something arbitrary. I can get the rest myself.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

HooDat wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:16 pm But what boggles my mind is the number of people who either are deluded into thinking they are in that group, or who buy into the political party BS and carry water for the 1%'ers anyway.
Oh, I've met more than my fair share of these people. They're the ones who are at the $1000 per plate dealy-do's with (insert politician).
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:33 pm All I want from a politician is to make sure my rights are protected and that the playing field isn’t tilted based on something arbitrary. I can get the rest myself.
+100.

I've said it before.....the theme of the forum when it comes to US politics is: what are these politiicans' plans for the working class?

That it. Nothing more. And the American worker is SO screwed in 2022, I don't even know where to start.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

SCOTUS (Chief Justice Roberts) just issued a temporary stay on the Title 42 policy that was due to expire tomorrow.

"The chief justice’s order, known as an administrative stay, was provisional and meant to give the Supreme Court time to consider the question of whether to maintain the program, Title 42, which a trial judge had ordered to be ended by Wednesday. The court is likely to act in the coming days."

Return to “POLITICS”