Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by 44WeWantMore »

After which goals did you say, "Boy, he should have had that one"?

As for Williams, while he did not put the team on his back and carry them to an improbable victory, nobody on the Jays approached his EGA.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Tell you what we need, some peer leadership!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Laxsmitty wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:23 pm According to Hopkins own stats, Darby‘s save percentage for today was .452.
No goalie is going to save more than 50% if Chris Gray gets his hands free as often as he did in this game. After watching him in action, I think the best way to defend him is to faceguard him with your most athletic SSDM and spend the entire game shutting him off and slashing his hands every time he gets the ball.

Completely failed game plan for Chris Gray.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:21 pm
steel_hop wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:56 pm Darby hasn't played poorly. I wouldn't say he played great. One of the bigger issues is that he doesn't get the ball out of the his stick on clears. He holds it way to long.

The bigger issue is the Hopkins long sticks are just awful. There isn't a good athlete among them and their stick work is horrendous - honestly the entire team has substandard stickwork. Good thing they chased Rapine away. They spend way too much time ball watching and not enough time moving. They can't defend a cutter to save their life. I get Petro likes man to man but with this group he has to play zone. There isn't enough speed or talent to match up in man-to-man on Hopkins defense. But, hey, stubborn and loyal tend to be the opposite sides of the same coin.
Fine for Petro to play man-to-man, but if you do you need to press out and pressure opponents. Get on their hands. Harass them all over the field. To use the key word of the season, if you’re going to play man-to-man in this era, you need full “buy-in” and play man-to-man aggressively.

That’s what Loyola does. That’s what North Carolina does.

Petro’s defenses are more than a decade behind the times.

DocBarrister :|
for the last quarter and a half, maybe.
the rest of it... you have no idea what youre talking about. youve never played, so stop speaking like an expert.
theyve created a defense and with the shot clock you can play to that. having to be aggressive has never been less necessary.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:30 pm Tell you what we need, some peer leadership!
And kick someone else off the team! Go Peers!
Jhu99

Post by Jhu99 »

Again, turnovers all over the field killed us today. 8 UNC goals on possessions after a turnover. Basically 9 goals if you count the ridiculous 3/4 field shot on the clear that was saved.

Petro needs to go after this year. Hire Metzbower
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:36 pm
steel_hop wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:56 pm Darby hasn't played poorly. I wouldn't say he played great. One of the bigger issues is that he doesn't get the ball out of the his stick on clears. He holds it way to long.

The bigger issue is the Hopkins long sticks are just awful. There isn't a good athlete among them and their stick work is horrendous - honestly the entire team has substandard stickwork. Good thing they chased Rapine away. They spend way too much time ball watching and not enough time moving. They can't defend a cutter to save their life. I get Petro likes man to man but with this group he has to play zone. There isn't enough speed or talent to match up in man-to-man on Hopkins defense. But, hey, stubborn and loyal tend to be the opposite sides of the same coin.
Fine for Petro to play man-to-man, but if you do you need to press out and pressure opponents. Get on their hands. Harass them all over the field. To use the key word of the season, if you’re going to play man-to-man in this era, you need full “buy-in” and play man-to-man aggressively.

the rest of it... you have no idea what youre talking about. youve never played, so stop speaking like an expert.
theyve created a defense and with the shot clock you can play to that. having to be aggressive has never been less necessary.
Agree.
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:31 pm
Laxsmitty wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:23 pm According to Hopkins own stats, Darby‘s save percentage for today was .452.
No goalie is going to save more than 50% if Chris Gray gets his hands free as often as he did in this game. After watching him in action, I think the best way to defend him is to faceguard him with your most athletic SSDM and spend the entire game shutting him off and slashing his hands every time he gets the ball.

This, combined with your suggestion of an aggressive pressing out defense, would probably result in the Blue Jays losing by 20+ goals. It's a recipe for a record-setting blowout loss.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:22 pm 5824C0E1-6F0F-40E3-82B9-62A227ECED4C.jpeg
It’s still February. I still recall the season where Petro loosed his hounds and the Blue Jays essentially doubled their avg CTs per game overnight. Started with a game against an athletic Albany team, with 5 caused turnovers in just the first half. CT per game average went from around 3 to 8.

Petro needs to make that change now. Play faster. Play more aggressively. Institute an aggressive ride. Play more players. Amp up the Blue Jays’ entire game.

Don’t know Petro’s job status, but if his job really is on the line this season, then he ought to go out swinging.

Speed. Aggression. Physicality.

Let’s drop Hopkins gentility and start beating the cr*p out of opponents. Chris Gray should have walked away from this game with bruised hands, wrists, and forearms. Instead, he’s ready to play a Grieg concerto.

Amp it up coach. Amp it up NOW. At the very least, your boys will have more fun.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

oy vey.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10 10 2 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:42 pm

Agree.

This, combined with your suggestion of an aggressive pressing out defense, would probably result in the Blue Jays losing by 20+ goals. It's a recipe for a record-setting blowout loss.
I kinda think 17-10 is a blowout loss.

I would take your opinions more seriously (and to make it clear, I don’t) if Petro hadn’t done this before.

Take a look at the 2014 season when Hopkins lost consecutive games against Syracuse, Virginia, and North Carolina.

Petro decided to flip the switch and play more aggressive defense all over the field. Result? Eight caused turnovers against Albany and 12 caused turnovers against Maryland. Twenty caused turnovers in two games. Look it up. He salvaged a potentially disastrous season (wound up 11-5), and that team was no more athletic than this one (indeed, it was a team that Petro basically acknowledged lacked talent before the season even began). It was a team of motion offense and (in the second half) aggressive defense—two new styles for Petro and his team. Personally, I think 2014 may have been Petro’s finest as a coach.

So don’t give me that bullsh*t that Hopkins can’t change its stripes, even in mid-season.

Petro and his boys have done it before. Let’s see if they can do it again.

DocBarrister 8-)
Last edited by DocBarrister on Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Relying on the shot clock as your 8th defender is basically the shot clock variant of a passive defense. With today’s shooters, it’s important to prevent any clean shot from any range.

Petro’s passive defense has always put too much pressure and emphasis on goalies to make the stops. It sets up Hopkins goalies for failure. North Carolina’s aggressive defense prevented many Hopkins shots from even reaching the goal.

I think Darby had a fine game stopping shots (directing clears, another matter). But stopping shots with little disruption of North Carolina shooters? Shooting gallery.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

Agreed, putting our "most athletic SSDM" on Gray is just asking for us to get blown up.
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:05 pm So don’t give me that bullsh*t that Hopkins can’t change its stripes, even in mid-season.

DocBarrister 8-)
Who was it that was all aboard the Hopkins final 4 hype train this preseason? Oh yeah, it was you. Did that hype train involve two early season losses where we looked god awful??? Choo choo! Own your bad views and stop trying to make excuses. That Kool-Aid tastes good!

This team is AQ or bust, book it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:18 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:36 pm for the last quarter and a half, maybe.
Relying on the shot clock as your 8th defender is basically the shot clock variant of a passive defense. With today’s shooters, it’s important to prevent any clean shot from any range.

Petro’s passive defense has always put too much pressure and emphasis on goalies to make the stops. It sets up Hopkins goalies for failure. North Carolina’s aggressive defense prevented many Hopkins shots from even reaching the goal.

I think Darby had a fine game stopping shots (directing clears, another matter). But stopping shots with little disruption of North Carolina shooters? Shooting gallery.

DocBarrister 8-)
here's my theory... you have never coached at any level.
make me sound foolish.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I was thinking the same thing. Plenty of Hopkins's shots were checked/blocked way out front of the cage and only became an official shot statistic bcos they traveled in the general direction of the crease.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

We've got about 9,000 poles on the roster yet apparently no one who is a 1-on-1 defender. If only playing zone was legal. Oh, wait....
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu08 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:20 pm

Agreed, putting our "most athletic SSDM" on Gray is just asking for us to get blown up.
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:05 pm So don’t give me that bullsh*t that Hopkins can’t change its stripes, even in mid-season.

DocBarrister 8-)
Who was it that was all aboard the Hopkins final 4 hype train this preseason? Oh yeah, it was you. Did that hype train involve two early season losses where we looked god awful??? Choo choo! Own your bad views and stop trying to make excuses. That Kool-Aid tastes good!

This team is AQ or bust, book it.
I still see great potential in this team. Darby is playing better. DeSimone is playing better. Degnon is a rising young star. Zinn has been much more productive. SSDMs have been better overall. Defense is a work in progress, but even the D has been better in the first three games compared to last season. And all of this with Epstein at half speed.

I think Hopkins should play more aggressively on defense, more aggressively on the ride. Am I the only one who thinks this? I doubt it.

Blue Jays can turn this around and have a special season. I still believe that, but they’re going to have to make some adjustments.

Play fast, aggressive, and physical.

Amp it up. Amp it up NOW.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:25 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:36 pm for the last quarter and a half, maybe.

DocBarrister 8-)
here's my theory... you have never coached at any level.
make me sound foolish.
Yeah, but lacrosse ain’t rocket science.

Football? Different story.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

and unc managed this advantage with their "aggressive"defense, turning a 3 to 2 cumulative cto advantage into a comfortable win. i think you've hit the nail on the head and lax is for dummies.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:28 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Plenty of Hopkins's shots were checked/blocked way out front of the cage and only became an official shot statistic bcos they traveled in the general direction of the crease.
Yes, that’s right.

Hopkins had a much lower SOG% compared to North Carolina shooters in this game. Some of that is on the Hopkins shooters, but much of it was attributable to the aggressive North Carolina defense getting their sticks on shooters hands, blocking shots, and pressuring shooters.

Now, watch how cleanly North Carolina shooters got their shots off, even with Hopkins defenders nearby. Clearly received different coaching.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Box score reads 2 turnovers. Forry had three. Going after our leading scorer yet again...sounds about right for this forum.

Angelus played like 5 minutes and had a goal and an assist. Only explanation for the lack of Murphy has to be an injury, otherwise...mindboggling.
[/quote]

Not sure asking how sloppy William's was in the game is going after him. He played poorly. He 2 turnovers but also a bunch of passes that were off target and recovered by Hopkins.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”