Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:02 pm
random observer wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:52 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:41 pm Rutgers literally made the Final Four last year. Denver hasn’t won a tournament game in 5 years. I think it’s pretty fair to say Rutgers is better than Denver.
Rutgers is in better shape than Denver *today*, but one year does not make a program; Rutgers was a doormat until two years ago; to equate their program to Denver over the past half decade based just on 2022 seems silly to me; that would be like saying a win over Delaware in 2018 is bigger than a win over Loyola in 2018 because the Blue Hens were better last year and ranked higher going into this season.
Theres a ton of yesterday is the only thing that matters going on around these boards lately. Like folks become ten second tom from 50 first dates:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6kbY9rGTgQo
On the Hopkins thread, the past is never dead. It's not even past.
Two deeply conflicting philosophies clashing?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They finally figured out how to use Peshko,
he’s got a quicker stick inside than most other players.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Up
-Milliman. He had one of the fastest timeouts of the season to start the third to save a possession but it led to a goal. He burned his other one in the fourth but it also saved a possession. He's repeatedly these are his players and his team. We even saw a smile on the broadcast midway through the fourth. I only saw part of the Duke game but it had a similar start to last week-home strong start, visitor surge but instead of falling over the Dolphins came back. That did not happen last week. 2 coordinators in 3 years and 3 in 4 if you go back to benson working with largely the same talent and crawley finally made it sing today. I'm not sure how many younger coordinators Hopkins has had, but this was a lot of faith.
-Marcille. I don't how they fixed him and or the goalie position, but he's really come on.
-Dunn/Faceoff depth. Quint had an awful day but he did point out early that hoyas were maybe too reliant on Reilly and in the 4th faceoffs were 5-2 Hopkins.
-Melendez/collison-found their games
-Peshko-not just a shooter anymore.
-Bauer continued growth
-The Georgetown hail mary at the end-that might have broken this board had that gone in went off ruddy's helmet.
-On tv it again looked there was a huge size difference in the players. Of all the things that have gone wrong aside from the ssdm position at times that hasn't been one of them.
-Another game where turnovers were not a factor and we largely stayed out of the penalty box
-solomon and kelly w/20 pts against us at unc had 3 today combined

Down
-Dordevic is an old face and he still went off early
-Another slow start
-Hawley does not look like the fastest or most physical of humans and got bullied on a few faceoffs
-the degnon penalty and bauer clear

other stuff
-Quint and espn had an awful day. They weren't at the game, there was no sound from anish/carc for most of the uva game. We're in year 3 of the PM offense and quint finally began to mention "what the PM offense is". He didn't know who Hawley- who has been in the program for years- was. This looked like one of the best attended home games in years in February-no mention of that. Nothing on what Marcille was doing differently last week than from his work a few years ago.
-I don't know what that bubble stuff was all about but loyola didn't seem to miss theirs today
-the NAG stuff looks great. be a real shame if the university updates the bookstore stuff which looks like a child put it together w/windows 95.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

Highlights
https://youtu.be/_3uM0jpe7rI
You're welcome.
The Unchosen 1 :lol:
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

nice writeup, 06 :!:
lilax

Post by lilax »

Big win for Hopkins.

It looks like there is more trust between the players and coaches. Players trust the system they’re running and the coaches trust the players decision making.

When was the last time Hopkins knocked off a #1 or #2 team?

UVA in 2012 comes to mind. But they had beaten UMD a number of times from 2013 to 2018.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice win, love it.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Man just so happy for the boys on this one. They whole team sure seemed to be really thrilled to finally mark one in the win column against what is presumably a properly strong and highly ranked opponent. For many of them it's been 3+ years of very much taking their lumps and putting in the work to get to this point. Going into the 4th quarter as a fan I was certainly content to just have kept it as close as they had and looked as generally competent and entertaining as they did but as 44WWM said a few posts back "Forget moral victories. Real ones are a whole lot nicer." and this one sure is nice to have in your pocket.

Just a few things to add:

Big props to Melendez. Beyond actually stuffing the stat sheet with points that mattered he more so than anyone else on the offensive end at the outset looked to carry himself and play with a level of confidence and devil may care attitude that hopefully is rubbing off on the rest of the boys there. On behalf of the fanbase let me say I'm sorry if Coach Petro didn't return your calls, he was a fool not to. Should've been on campus 3 years ago if this is where you wanted to be :P

All the better was this felt like a team win. As others mentioned you're down a mess of expected faces due to injury and without looking at the stat sheet exactly to see there was a bunch of people that saw the field and in surprise roles in some cases. I don't know about last week but Stu Phillips ended up on a handful of faceoff wings in the 4th Quarter to spell Hawley. Jojo Todaro got into the action on at least one clear and made a real nice play. They were cycling through long poles all day and mixing and matching positions offensively as well. Most of the 4th Bauer was in at attack for Melendez, and Melendez took his runs at midfield in part probably to get him matched up on a shorty out of the gate and draw eyes from the defense.

Additional kudos to the fans that came out to the game today from the student body. While our usual old fart reserved sections weren't packed the student sections and such looked to be a bit more bumping than it has been of late.

With regards to Dordevic and defending the knowns, he sure did look like a top player today with at least the one move he had. I cannot even be mad or say that Smith didn't defend him well most of the time. His "step-back jumper" was just ON today for the most part and its not trivial to get on his hands when he's making that move.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I'm glad sankey and bitter weren't the unc guys they brought. I could do without them.
molo

Post by molo »

Looks like nice weather for the Carolina game on Tuesday. The routed Mercer today but who knows what that means. After today, it looks as if there are a couple of pretty good teams in Baltimore this year, one in 21218, another in 21210/11.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Don't gotta tell the Jays fans how long it's been since they took down Carolina at Homewood. I think they're the stronger team, I like them in the middle of the field especially, but that's been a weird hex.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:54 pm Nice win, love it.
Thanks. The game in the Dome is always special, but (and I know it is early) it seems as if both teams are on the rebound making it even more significant.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Nice to see some pep in the step of Hop fans.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:10 pm They finally figure out how to use Peshko,
he’s got a quicker stick inside than most other players.
Let’s hope we can say this about Grimes soon
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

a fan wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:59 pm
Nice to see some pep in the step of Hop fans.
most of us expected at best a close loss. UNC is an acc power on short rest and loyola should be rocking. this could easily be a different season outlook by the time the valentines candy is finished next weekend. none of us expected the hoyas to be pulling their goalie at the end. quint did nail that one and knew the kid was an athlete.

hopefully they'll pay carl spackler or the rezident groundskeeper this week.

you watch last years early games-epstein deso keogh mcdermott raposo szulak lilly mcmanus eddie shure kirson and I'm missing others either not in uniform or at different positions. lot of development at a lot of areas in a short period of time.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Congratulations to the JHU faithful. Great win!
molo

Post by molo »

Maybe some were expecting a close loss. I expected a win win, calling it 13-11. I was confident of the win when it was 13-11 but didn’t expect that score to hold up with more than 5:2O remaining. GT!s failure to go after the ball aggressively with about 2:20 left allowed Hopkins to burn enough clock to make it hard for the Hoyas to the it although they did cut it to one and had a possession with enough time to tie it. Their best player, alas, is an excellent shooter but not so much a passer.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:37 pm That turnover from Grimes was a momentum killer.

Marcille is playing great and I’ll keep beating this dead horse … he should have been playing last year
+1
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:14 pm Stats that jumped out at me.

Holding DORDEVIC to only 13 shots.
.571 save percentage!
18/19 clearing!!!
Plus terrific ball movement on offense.
That was the difference in the game even though we got out-ground balled.
Crawley got a well-deserved banana. He earned it. Those door-step goals off feeds were things of beauty.
GTown was an All-Star team. Big emotional win for the Jays. Expect the stadium to start to fill up now.
This team looked night and day from what we saw last year and it was great that they were able to close out this win in the fourth.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

random thoughts on the big win:
- Hopkins reversed virtually every point evident from last year's game. Marcille not only kept pace with his georgetown counterpart, he played outstanding. While Dordevic and Bundy showed the blueprint - his cross body save on Bundy in the 4th really helped set the tone - 99 times out of a hundred that's a goal. With 3 goals and 4 assists Degnon and Angelus erased the memory of their bagel game against G'town. Hopkins dominated face-offs in the 4th. The Hopkins starters out gb'd the Hoya starters 16-11 and won the non face-off man ground ball war. They had only 1 more turnover than Georgetown and 4 fewer than last Saturday. The end result? The two games gainst the Hoyas were actually not that different entering the 4th - 11-7 last year 11-8 this year but the 4th quarter was 180 degrees different - 5-1 Hoyas last year 5-1 Hopkins this year.
- Melendez certainly looked different from the Jacksonville game - in that game he was careful - made good decisions but didn't push anything - he was a difference maker yesterday.. BTW - the rumor of Jacksonville's demise appears to be exaggerated - the UMBC transfer has 6 goals on the season and their schedule certainly appears less imposing than starting with Hopkins/Duke. Go Dolphins!
- As fans on this board we never appear satisfied - I see no benefit to speculating or commenting on why Marcille didn't play last year. I am just pleased he is playing well now.
- Watched a replay of Maryland/Loyola - looks like the trip to Ridley is going to be even a bigger challenge than originally thought - they locked up the Maryland offense. On the other hand, Maryland looked like a team with a huge championship hangover - unfortunately that stepchild beating might be the best thing for them.
- I don't see how you can fault the Hopkins D for most of Dordevics goals - there was somebody right with him and he was shooting lasers. I would never leave Bundy alone however but it also needs to be recognized that a defensive captain in Szuluk and a likely starter or major player in Deans were both out.
- The biggest thing - they need to figure out how to handle this piece of success - they haven't had much at all the last two years. IL already has a online piece. They will almost certainly be ranked in the Top 15 at least. They have to be able to turnaround and deal with a team that has pounded them the last two times with 50 shades of Gray. Nobody expects as much from this year's Tar Heel squad and they seem to have taken that up as their rallying cry. Big challenge for the coaching staff to get them mentally ready to play in 72 hours.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”