All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:32 pm
6ftstick wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:19 pm
CU77 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:14 pm
Republicans blasted Democrats for trying to tack unrelated policies onto the bill. McConnell said Democrats were holding up the bill in order to add tax credits for solar energy and new emission standards for airlines.

“Are you kidding me?” McConnell said on the Senate floor. “This is the moment to debate new regulations that have nothing whatsoever to do with this crisis?”

Democrats confirmed that they made the proposals, but only in response to unrelated Republican proposals that they did not reveal. Democrats, meanwhile, are pushing back on language in the bill that would exclude nonprofits that receive Medicaid funding from receiving the new small business assistance. The exclusion would leave out Planned Parenthood, but also home health agencies, group homes for people with disabilities and community health centers.

“The last thing anyone should be doing in the middle of a public health crisis is restricting access to healthcare providers that women, people with disabilities, people with substance abuse disorders and more trust and rely on,” said Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash). “There’s absolutely no justification for this -- it’s exactly the kind of partisan, harmful politics we frankly don’t have time for right now.”
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... mulus-plan
The longer these idiots take the more suspicion they cast that this virus isn't as bad as they've portrayed.
+1000.

Rent is due in 7 days. What happens when a few million people don't pay rent?

Depends what state they live in. Some states, absolutely nothing.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:22 pm
calourie wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:14 pm I think Trump is feeling increasingly bored by this whole shut down thing. Time to get back out on the golf course, regardless of the consequences. Maybe schedule a rally or two. You know, set the example on how to get back to normal.
And light a few more fires under the pandemic at the same time...

Fauci is privately urging not to let up on the 15 day thing:

Fauci Privately Warns Trump Admin Against Reversing Social Distancing Rules

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/fauc ... distancing
Unnamed sources told the Post that Fauci and his colleagues have warned the administration that health care workers’ vigorous response to the outbreak would be put in jeopardy if the social distancing guidelines were to be lifted once the period ends.
Yes, but it is pretty clear 15 days is not going to be enough - I know you know this.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:42 pm ummm, martial law is what you do. No other choice.

Sorry to keep harping on this, but this is all on Pelosi and gang. The only way I will take that back is if you can convince me that equitable racial representation on boards, windmills, the postal service, and private union pensions should be part of a Cornoavirus package. I'm always willing to change my mind, so have at it.
You're telling me that you're so stupid that you don't think the Republicans have anything objectionable in a bill that's a few hundred pages long? Not the least of which is the bailout money that's headed to your mismanaged airline industry, or to cruise lines with billions in profits, while my industry gets nothing.

A pox on both the R's and D's. I can't stand Pelosi, never have liked her. But you have now surpassed Bandito as the biggest knee-jerk partisan on the board. No one is dumb enough to think that the R's don't have nonsense in this bill.

But knock yourself out. Tell us how the R's portion of the bill is flawless, and actually helps people, with zero nonsense in it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:04 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:17 pm
Trinity wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:13 pm “The strangest thing about the negotiations over a stimulus package is how MIA the president himself is and how everyone just treats that as normal because we know he's not capable of serious business.”

Matt Miller

Mnuchin and Kudlow are the Admin on this deal.

And if Trump did get involved, your hair would be on fire.

As it is, if Pelosi keeps up the delaying, watch for Trump to declare martial law and simply do what he wants. At some stage, that is justified.

And then you really will go bananas, and not recognize that you simply asked for it.
… and exactly what would he do with martial law?? :lol:

Imagine you are POTUS. It's evident that Congress is hopelessly gridlocked from partisan battles. Nothing can get passed. But you know full well that people will start to stop paying for basic items like rent money, food, kids clothes, etc...

Now you know that you need to get $$ into their hands. But you can't because Congress won't do anything (or in this case, the Democrats won't do anything, but who's counting at this stage).

The logical progression is the people who begin to lose patience start looting stores, then after the stores they start coming into nicer homes. LEO's refuse to arrest anyone for fear of catching the virus. Prisons begin to empty out because staff won't show up to work (this is already happening: see New Jersey today).

The Fed will pump money into 'markets', but that won't slow an impending revolution.

You declare martial law (legal) and simply do what everyone (including Dems) knows should have been done but this time without the Democrat's demands.

It's not as scary as it sounds, and it may well come to pass.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:24 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:37 pm pretty good interview with WHO director bruce aylward (sorry if posted already): https://time.com/5805368/will-coronavir ... anization/
Great quote:
Is there reason to be concerned about a second wave of infections in China?

Absolutely, and China is concerned. As we traveled around China, one of the most striking things that I found, especially in contrast to the West, as I spoke to governors, mayors, and their cases were plummeting—in some of the places they were down to single digit cases already—as I spoke to them and I said, “So what are you doing now?” They said, “We’re building beds, we’re buying ventilators, we’re preparing.” They said, “We do not expect this virus to disappear, but we do expect to be able to run our society, run our economy, run our health system. We cannot end up in this situation again.”
Will our leaders do this on the backside (whenever that may occur)?
Nope - not Trump. It will be over and he will declare victory.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:49 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:42 pm ummm, martial law is what you do. No other choice.

Sorry to keep harping on this, but this is all on Pelosi and gang. The only way I will take that back is if you can convince me that equitable racial representation on boards, windmills, the postal service, and private union pensions should be part of a Cornoavirus package. I'm always willing to change my mind, so have at it.
You're telling me that you're so stupid that you don't think the Republicans have anything objectionable in a bill that's a few hundred pages long? Not the least of which is the bailout money that's headed to your mismanaged airline industry, or to cruise lines with billions in profits, while my industry gets nothing.

A pox on both the R's and D's. I can't stand Pelosi, never have liked her. But you have now surpassed Bandito as the biggest knee-jerk partisan on the board. No one is dumb enough to think that the R's don't have nonsense in this bill.

But knock yourself out. Tell us how the R's portion of the bill is flawless, and actually helps people, with zero nonsense in it.

We have seen a lot of analysis on the Pelosi package loaded with gimmicks. We have also seen a lot of analysis on the Senate bill, without gimmicks.

Knock yourself out convincing the American people they don't see what they see. I'll stand by.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:51 pm
Trinity wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:13 pm “The strangest thing about the negotiations over a stimulus package is how MIA the president himself is and how everyone just treats that as normal because we know he's not capable of serious business.”

Matt Miller

As it is, if Pelosi keeps up the delaying, watch for Trump to declare martial law and simply do what he wants. At some stage, that is justified.

And then you really will go bananas, and not recognize that you simply asked for it.

Imagine you are POTUS. It's evident that Congress is hopelessly gridlocked from partisan battles. Nothing can get passed. But you know full well that people will start to stop paying for basic items like rent money, food, kids clothes, etc...

Now you know that you need to get $$ into their hands. But you can't because Congress won't do anything (or in this case, the Democrats won't do anything, but who's counting at this stage).

The logical progression is the people who begin to lose patience start looting stores, then after the stores they start coming into nicer homes. LEO's refuse to arrest anyone for fear of catching the virus. Prisons begin to empty out because staff won't show up to work (this is already happening: see New Jersey today).

The Fed will pump money into 'markets', but that won't slow an impending revolution.

You declare martial law (legal) and simply do what everyone (including Dems) knows should have been done but this time without the Democrat's demands.

Sounds like you are rooting for this PB?

But I thought there was no problem, cure is coming soon?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:39 pm FTR, here was Gint's summary:
3) open public spaces+schools
Which he said you could do because there was actually no airborne transmission, according to his analysis of the data.

You said that was "compelling".

Do you still think it's compelling?

Note that I am NOT trying to shut anything down here. I am trying to get you to answer a direct question. Which you keep refusing to do. Which does not surprise me at all.
njbill

Post by njbill »

a fan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:49 pm But you have now surpassed Bandito as the biggest knee-jerk partisan on the board.
Whoa. Maybe we better have a poll on that. :lol:
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:52 pm We have seen a lot of analysis on the Pelosi package loaded with gimmicks. We have also seen a lot of analysis on the Senate bill, without gimmicks.

Knock yourself out convincing the American people they don't see what they see. I'll stand by.
As usual, you blew right through what I wrote.

Just write D's bad, R's good. It'll save you a whole lot of typing.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Matt Miller

Sounds like you are rooting for this PB?

But I thought there was no problem, cure is coming soon?

Rent is due next Wednesday for many employees across this great country. Will a cure happen before then? Sounds like you are rooting for a delay for a cure?

No matter, I'm not rooting so much as being realistic. Our trade group pays a DC lobbyist who sends out email updates all day long...very pessimistic right now about a deal. Oh, he's a former Democrat congressman.

If you see another outcome, feel free to share. I don't. For now.
a fan

Post by a fan »

njbill wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:56 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:49 pm But you have now surpassed Bandito as the biggest knee-jerk partisan on the board.
Bandito just doesn't dress the partisanship all pretty like Pete Brown does, and the massive taxpayer bailout he and his airline industry is about to get.....
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:56 pm
Since the one 'whose name should not be spoken' is back, it should be an interesting race to the bottom.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Matt Miller

Again, depends on the state. Some states have made it illegal to foreclose, evict, interrupt utility services, etc, until the Gov removes these restrictions after the crises has passed. Trump can't make money appear in his coffers without congress even under martial law.
calourie

Post by calourie »

PB, Let me know if there is anything that you might find questionable or objectionable in the bill McConnell is so intent on passing. Patti Murray's comments on the withholding of funds for entities that look after women's health issues might be a good place to start. I don't profess to know more about either the "was close to passing in the senate" bill or Pelosi's counter proposal other than the broad sweep relief presentation the former gets, and the specific 4 points in Pelosi proposal that Mitch and a few in here find so objectionable. This is a 1.5 trillion $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ bill and ought to be done correctly as well as expeditiosly. I will leave it to the adults in the room on both sides of the aisle to work it out. In the meantime the adult and sub adults in here will continue to duke it out among ourselves.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU77 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:56 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:39 pm FTR, here was Gint's summary:
3) open public spaces+schools
Which he said you could do because there was actually no airborne transmission, according to his analysis of the data.

You said that was "compelling".

Do you still think it's compelling?

Note that I am NOT trying to shut anything down here. I am trying to get you to answer a direct question. Which you keep refusing to do. Which does not surprise me at all.

When you find an article of 100 pages 'compelling', is it the case where you're from that you must by law agree with every sentence and thought? :lol:

But to your question as you don't seem able to move past it:

A growing body of evidence indicates that COVID-19 transmission is facilitated in confined settings; for example, a large cluster (634 confirmed cases) of COVID-19 secondary infections occurred aboard a cruise ship in Japan, representing about one fifth of the persons aboard who were tested for the virus. This finding indicates the high transmissibility of COVID-19 in enclosed spaces

Now where did he get that idea?! Oh yeah, the CDC itself; knock your self out:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/6/20-0233_article

Whether or not you agree with Ginn’s arguments for, say, reopening schools, people like Ginn are asking some important and detailed questions about what we know about the progress of the coronavirus. But it is unhelpful and hazardous to ignore the real, human costs of protracted lockdowns, which will require increasily strong justifications the longer they drag on. Which if you allow yourself to read and not burn books, was his thesis.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

calourie wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:02 pm

PB, Let me know if there is anything that you might find questionable or objectionable in the bill McConnell is so intent on passing. Patti Murray's comments on the withholding of funds for entities that look after women's health issues might be a good place to start. I don't profess to know more about either the "was close to passing in the senate" bill or Pelosi's counter proposal other than the broad sweep relief presentation the former gets, and the specific 4 points in Pelosi proposal that Mitch and a few in here find so objectionable. This is a 1.5 trillion $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ bill and ought to be done correctly as well as expeditiosly. I will leave it to the adults in the room on both sides of the aisle to work it out. In the meantime the adult and sub adults in here will continue to duke it out among ourselves.

Here's my thought: pass the gd bill, let Mnuchin figure out where it goes, and get the gd money in the system. If, after he is done, you think Mnuchin was a scoundrel for wasting or even stealing the dough, then go after him (btw, because I believe in people, he'll do a fine job; heck put Neel Kashkari or Geithner with him and have the two of them figure it out). 2 or 3 smart people can figure it out way better than a bunch of politicians intent on virtue signalling.

Pandemics require speed not precision.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Why must it be opaque? And what’s Trumps obsession with cruise lines that are flagged by other countries and don’t incorporate here?
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:09 pm Here's my thought: pass the gd bill, let Mnuchin figure out where it goes
Hard no.

Wanna pass a bill??? Pass Pelosi's bill.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I thought the right wingers on here were making the case that the virus is not a big deal...

Return to “POLITICS”