All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Farfromgeneva

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ggait wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:18 pm I think everyone should be all in on doing whatever they can do to keep as many kids in school in person as much as possible.

So mandate the vax for 100% of everyone eligible (students, teachers, staff, parents, whatever) entering the school premises (subject to very narrow medical exceptions). No BS opt outs because "I'm unsure" or "I don't trust the gubmint" or "muh parental ruy-iots" or "Jesus told me so." Unless you are a Christian Scientist whose never taken any medicine of any kind, take the shot or stay home.

And then do whatever else seems useful given the local spread conditions -- ventilation, masks, spacing, whatever. In order to keep the schools open, the default setting for uncertain evolving situations should be to do more, not less.

Our kids need all of us to just STFU and suck it up.
This is my instinct and when why I open emails on Friday first about my sons teacher and her family contracting it after a kid in that class got it a week earlier and then open and email from my daughters teacher that she’s going off for a week for an equestrian event. My immediate thought was “is this lady serious right now? Acting as if nothing is going on right around her at the moment. What kind of teacher of young children is this?” but I never trust my instincts anymore therefor I solicit as much information and opinions as I can find before acting these days.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

ggait wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:18 pm I think everyone should be all in on doing whatever they can do to keep as many kids in school in person as much as possible.

So mandate the vax for 100% of everyone eligible (students, teachers, staff, parents, whatever) entering the school premises (subject to very narrow medical exceptions). No BS opt outs because "I'm unsure" or "I don't trust the gubmint" or "muh parental ruy-iots" or "Jesus told me so." Unless you are a Christian Scientist whose never taken any medicine of any kind, take the shot or stay home.

And then do whatever else seems useful given the local spread conditions -- ventilation, masks, spacing, whatever. In order to keep the schools open, the default setting for uncertain evolving situations should be to do more, not less.

I agree. I plan on sending the kids vaccinated, masked, and in SCBA if necessary.

But that is easier said than done. FOr a multitude of reasons.

How do you plan to provide schooling to the tax paying citizens/students who don't comply? I ask because I covered education for the WaPo and we repeatedly saw many districts that have strict "right to education" laws based on the 14th Amendment. It often manifested itself in student behavior scenarios.

Administrators simply weren't allowed to kick kids out of schools no matter how bad they acted. Or if they didn't comply with rules, standards etc. That includes threatening others safety/health and (repeated) dangerous, violent behavior. Thus the institution of "Alternative Learning Centers" (i.e: Prisons) on school grounds to ensure kids were given an education even if their repeated behavior indicated that they didn't want to be there... or were a threat to other students and teachers.

So, my point is, you better have an online learning plan.
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Covid survivors , the ones with natural immunity, based on what science, do they need a vaxx ?

Otherwize, you all are just lemmings.

What is wrong with a antibodies card, instead of a vaxx card. We all know many of them are fake cards anyway.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210 ... ation.aspx

some data/studies that continue to come out of israel are on a long, fat tail. just a preprint now, will be interesting to see if it gets traction and confirmation.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So for the legacy Covid, Pre delta, this would refute trips (R) argument for mithrodization of the population then it would seem.

Hormesis is a characteristic of many biological processes, namely a biphasic or triphasic response to exposure to increasing amounts of a substance or condition.[1] Within the hormetic zone, there is generally a favorable biological response to low exposures to toxins and other stressors. The term hormesis comes from Greek hórmēsis "rapid motion, eagerness", itself from ancient Greek hormáein "to set in motion, impel, urge on". The term hormetics has been proposed for the study and science of hormesis.

A low dose of a chemical agent may trigger from an organism the opposite response to a very high dose.
In toxicology, hormesis is a dose response phenomenon to xenobiotics or other stressors characterized by a low dose stimulation, zero dose and high dose inhibition thus resulting in a J-shaped or an inverted U-shaped dose response (e.g. the arms of the "U" are inhibitory or toxic concentrations whereas the curve region stimulates a beneficial response.)[1] Generally speaking, hormesis pertains to the study of benefits of exposure to toxins such as radiation or mercury (perhaps analogous to health paradoxes such as the smoker's paradox, although differing by virtue of dose-dependent effects). Microdosing, and to some extent homeopathy, are often regarded as applications of hormesis.[2]

In physiology and nutrition, hormesis can be visualized as a hormetic curve with regions of deficiency, homeostasis, and toxicity. Physiological concentrations deviating above or below homeostasis concentrations adversely affects an organism, thus in this context, the hormetic zone is synonymously known as the region of homeostasis.[3] In pharmacology the hormetic zone is similar to the therapeutic window. Some psychological or environmental factors that would seem to produce positive responses have also been termed "eustress".

In the context of toxicology, the hormesis model of dose response is vigorously debated.[4] The biochemical mechanisms by which hormesis works (particularly in applied cases pertaining to behavior and toxins) remain under early laboratory research and are not well understood.[1] The notion that hormesis is an important policy factor for chemical risk regulations is not widely accepted.[5]
Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:07 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:52 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:41 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:30 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:26 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:20 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:02 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:44 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:28 am Be careful. You are treading awfully close- Viruses shouldn’t be described as “Chinese” lest you want to get your hand slapped…

:lol:
Or because viruses don’t have nationalities therefore there’s another meaning and politicization of a deadly disease which only stupid people would do.
Not really. Foods have nationalities, dogs, and even other viruses are named after locations and given nationalities.
It's may not be your preferred practice, or preferred by those who are easily offended, but it's quite common for much of the world.
But if it is something that you would like to personally control in your life, to make a difference, by all means, go ahead.
Given names doesn’t mean they are inherent to their existence. You’re also mixing cultures and borders without acknowledging the difference. Makes the whole argument kind of valueless.

Being named after isn’t the same as having the essence of. And if you believe this was manufactured then it’s really dumb to behave that way but go ahead.
COVID-19 could have easily been called Wuhan virus. But given the political climate, that too would have been too charged. In order to focus on the task at hand, the generic COVID-19 was a good call. I suppose Kramer favors calling aids the African virus.
Strawman.

Correct and truthful adjectives aren't always preferred or perfect. But it doesn't make them wrong.
But it doesn’t make them right.
It is "right" if it's correct and truthful in terms of accuracy. Writer has the discretion, even if the reader/listener doesn't think it's necessary.
Absolutely. “Chinese virus” would not have any precedent for naming a novel virus. It wouldn’t be truthful, slick.
And yet "Wuhan CoronaVirus" was used by the newspapers too:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/heal ... china.html
I thought I mentioned Wuhan as a possibility? Pay attention.
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

Covid survivors , the ones with natural immunity, based on what science, do they need a vaxx ?
Yes. STFU and take the shot. Or stay home.

Or be required to present a negative test from within the last 24 hours if you want to come within 100 feet of our kids' school.

Because it is about keeping the kids in school. Not about your distorted and selfish view of what your ruy-iots are.

And how ironic that most of the people spouting this selfish shirt call themselves Christians. Guess they never heard about the golden forking rule.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

pay attentino.......

yes sir
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
ggait

Post by ggait »

Exactly.

You and your kid are perfectly free to stay home and do zoom.edu.

Your body, your stupid forking choice.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:50 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:28 am Be careful. You are treading awfully close- Viruses shouldn’t be described as “Chinese” lest you want to get your hand slapped…

Or because viruses don’t have nationalities therefore there’s another meaning and politicization of a deadly disease which only stupid people would do.
Not really. Foods have nationalities, dogs, and even other viruses are named after locations and given nationalities.
It's may not be your preferred practice, or preferred by those who are easily offended, but it's quite common for much of the world.
But if it is something that you would like to personally control in your life, to make a difference, by all means, go ahead.
Given names doesn’t mean they are inherent to their existence. You’re also mixing cultures and borders without acknowledging the difference. Makes the whole argument kind of valueless.

Being named after isn’t the same as having the essence of. And if you believe this was manufactured then it’s really dumb to behave that way but go ahead.
COVID-19 could have easily been called Wuhan virus. But given the political climate, that too would have been too charged. In order to focus on the task at hand, the generic COVID-19 was a good call. I suppose Kramer favors calling aids the African virus.
Strawman.

Correct and truthful adjectives aren't always preferred or perfect. But it doesn't make them wrong.
It is "right" if it's correct and truthful in terms of accuracy. Writer has the discretion, even if the reader/listener doesn't think it's necessary.
Absolutely. “Chinese virus” would not have any precedent for naming a novel virus. It wouldn’t be truthful, slick.

Likewise. You too.

I mentioned that I leaned more toward Chinese CoronaVirus the way the newspapers did in those first few months. Although Wuhan is the place where it was first noticed...so that would be an accurate take also.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Strawman.

The message is kram agrees with and has legitimized the NY Times
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

ggait wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:56 pm

Or be required to present a negative test from within the last 24 hours if you want to come within 100 feet of our kids' school.

Because it is about keeping the kids in school. Not about your distorted and selfish view of what your ruy-iots are.

And how ironic that most of the people spouting this selfish shirt call themselves Christians. Guess they never heard about the golden forking rule.
What do you offer the people who can't medically take the shot? For whatever reason. Why are you punishing them? Equal access to an education under the law etc. etc.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:11 pm

What do you offer the people who can't medically take the shot? For whatever reason. Why are you punishing them? Equal access to an education under the law etc. etc.
Sort of misdirection as it exists but a tiny portion of the overall here. You’ve brought this up before as it it represents 10-40% of the population vs < 2%.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:10 pm

Strawman.

NYT is a legit newspaper. You're not gonna hear me say much about them.
But I wrote for the WaPo. And we were better.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:13 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:10 pm

Strawman.

NYT is a legit newspaper. You're not gonna hear me say much about them.
But I wrote for the WaPo. And we were better.
Im no fan of NYT-know for a fact they didn’t do their jobs well in a hit job in Hobart around a decade ago from inside of HWS. They refused to take primary source information from the school and conflated us with Florida St. Have always preferred the WaPo from the time I lived in DC on.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:12 pm

Sort of misdirection as it exists but a tiny portion of the overall here. You’ve brought this up before as it it represents 10-40% of the population vs < 2%.
Apologize. I have two friends who cant get the vaccine for medical reasons. It is fresh on my mind.
But it's a legit concern. The point is all education systems MUST have an alternative.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:16 pm

Apologize. I have two friends who cant get the vaccine for medical reasons. It is fresh on my mind.
But it's a legit concern. The point is all education systems MUST have an alternative.
No worries just not really that important to the thrust of the argument on individual responsibility and response by community. Same as the CPS and school issue for me. An alternative doesn’t mean throw everyone into home virtual though.

It’s personally more interesting to get highly personalized perspectives than shooting at politics left and right. I’d rather hear the specific stories and how it’s impacted them and you than something about teachers unions. But maybe I’m the outlier on that.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:16 pm

Did you know George Will at all? Big fan here
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:06 pm

Strawman.

Likewise. You too.

I mentioned that I leaned more toward Chinese CoronaVirus the way the newspapers did in those first few months. Although Wuhan is the place where it was first noticed...so that would be an accurate take also.
Which “newspapers” named it “Chinese Virus”?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:14 pm

Otherwize, you all are just lemmings.

What is wrong with a antibodies card, instead of a vaxx card. We all know many of them are fake cards anyway.
we're at a spot in time (and circumstance) where "robust" data just isn't there and isn't forthcoming asap.

maybe next year? i'll let you know as i ramp up my vaxx card bidness.

Return to “POLITICS”