The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Peter Brown

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:48 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:28 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:15 pm Most Florida Dems, if given the opportunity, would obliterate the economy down here (until the economy tanked). Trust me, our Democratic representatives are almost superhuman in their anti-business attitudes.
Can you cite some anti-business laws/regulations that have been put into place in Florida over the last few years?
:lol: Good one!

He can't answer that old gotcha question - "what's your favorite BHO regulation Trump has over-turned, let expire, didn't pursue or is fighting in court"

Mine - financial advisors don't have to reach a higher level of fiduciary standards....part of that reg ensured there can be no class action suits against firms, just arbitration.

yes, that's a good one! Since Democrats haven't had a majority or the governor seat in, ummmm, a long time...

What laws can they enact in the minority? I'm curious how your state functions if that is the situation.

:lol:
a fan

Post by a fan »

20 years. Florida has been controlled by Republicans for 20 years. So if you buy your Buffalo Bagels, I shouldn't be able to find heavy regulation in Florida, since the R's have had 20 years to make it the most business friendly State in the country.

You sensing where this is headed? Know how many business owners I know in your home State? If I asked them----and I do all the time---- if Florida has minimal regulations, they'd have to pick themselves off the floor from laughing.

I'm left wondering what it is you do for your company that you don't know this.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: ↑Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:15 am
Most Florida Dems, if given the opportunity, would obliterate the economy down here (until the economy tanked). Trust me, our Democratic representatives are almost superhuman in their anti-business attitudes.

It would be a refreshing change in this forum if your right wingers could back up your claims with evidence, for once.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
a fan

Post by a fan »

He's using his spider sense that sez Democrats are bad. Facts and cited laws are stupid.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Unemployment claims could spike to 3.4 million: study

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4893 ... lion-study

Weekly initial unemployment claims are on track to spike to a historic 3.4 million for the third week of March, according to an analysis by the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute (EPI).

If the number jumps to that level when the weekly report comes out Thursday, it will far surpass the highest level of weekly initial claims on record.

"This will dwarf every other week in history, as can be seen by comparing the projection against the trend in initial claims back to 1967," the study's authors wrote.

The last unemployment claims report already saw claims increase by about a third to 281,000, but steps to combat the coronavirus epidemic have ratcheted up dramatically since the period covered by that report.

Late last week, Goldman Sachs predicted that the new claims would spike to 2.25 million, but the EPI count of state-level claims from 35 states and Washington, D.C., already surpassed that figure.

Now it's time to put the blame on tRUMP and his Republicans. After all, they take credit for all good that takes place in society so they should be just as enthused about taking blame when something bad happens.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:50 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:15 pm Most Florida Dems, if given the opportunity, would obliterate the economy down here (until the economy tanked). Trust me, our Democratic representatives are almost superhuman in their anti-business attitudes.
Can you cite some anti-business laws/regulations that have been put into place in Florida over the last few years?

He can't answer that old gotcha question - "what's your favorite BHO regulation Trump has over-turned, let expire, didn't pursue or is fighting in court"

Mine - financial advisors don't have to reach a higher level of fiduciary standards....part of that reg ensured there can be no class action suits against firms, just arbitration.

yes, that's a good one! Since Democrats haven't had a majority or the governor seat in, ummmm, a long time...

What laws can they enact in the minority? I'm curious how your state functions if that is the situation.

Sorry, we're not talking about legislation...

Not laws regulations...which is what you dialed in on.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm He's using his spider sense that sez Democrats are bad. Facts and cited laws are stupid.

We've repeatedly seen that since the old LP days. Over and over again the right wingers make ridiculous claims but never back those absurd allegations with so much as an iota of evidence. In the past if you challenged them on their ridiculous comments, your post would get deleted. Here they have no such luxury. So, we'll wait for their "proofs" and post daily reminders.

DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:04 pm 20 years. Florida has been controlled by Republicans for 20 years. So if you buy your Buffalo Bagels, I shouldn't be able to find heavy regulation in Florida, since the R's have had 20 years to make it the most business friendly State in the country.

You sensing where this is headed? Know how many business owners I know in your home State? If I asked them----and I do all the time---- if Florida has minimal regulations, they'd have to pick themselves off the floor from laughing.

I always just assumed that Peter Brown was the guy who wrote the 737 Max flight software.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Let's just hold all of us to the standard of actually having some facts to support our positions, not just ideology.

We all (me included) sometimes get out too far over our skis at times.

I appreciate the challenges when I do.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 pm Let's just hold all of us to the standard of actually having some facts to support our positions, not just ideology.

If I post a toon, a meme, or a link to an article with substantive proofs the right wing immediately dismisses it. All I ask is if these right wingers are so convinced that a source is wrong, show me some proof of any deficiency. But they never do. Instead, all they do is criticize or ignore it. Then when they are challenged to produce evidence, they go silent. It's time for them to produce evidence and then we can possibly have an intelligent exchange on our views. Too bad this was not the standard on LP or it could have been a lot less contentious.

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:04 pm 20 years. Florida has been controlled by Republicans for 20 years. So if you buy your Buffalo Bagels, I shouldn't be able to find heavy regulation in Florida, since the R's have had 20 years to make it the most business friendly State in the country.

I'm the guy who signs the checks.

So, what do your 'Florida friends' find burdensome about Florida business law and regulations? I'd be curious to hear. Transaction taxes are high relative to other states, but we also don't have an income tax. Local regulations imo are low relative to other states where we have operations (soon Colorado!).

Most of my friends and certainly all of my peers are business owners; the mood for now is quite content and has been for some time. What lines of business are your 'Florida friends' in? Liquor manufacture?

https://sbecouncil.org/2019/05/06/new-r ... -business/
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:50 pm

Sorry, we're not talking about legislation...

Not laws regulations...which is what you dialed in on.

What? Most regulations here that I am concerned with are state-wide laws, not local city or even county regulations which rarely affect our business.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 pm Let's just hold all of us to the standard of actually having some facts to support our positions, not just ideology.

If I post a toon, a meme, or a link to an article with substantive proofs the right wing immediately dismisses it. All I ask is if these right wingers are so convinced that a source is wrong, show me some proof of any deficiency. But they never do. Instead, all they do is criticize or ignore it. Then when they are challenged to produce evidence, they go silent. It's time for them to produce evidence and then we can possibly have an intelligent exchange on our views. Too bad this was not the standard on LP or it could have been a lot less contentious.

Oh, you want evidence that Democrats are inclined to penalize for-profit business? Seriously?

https://www.mercatus.org/system/files/n ... rch-v1.pdf

For 2016, the latest year for which data are available, the top five most fiscally sound states were, in order: Nebraska, South Dakota, Tennessee, Florida and Oklahoma.

The five worst states, starting at the bottom: Illinois, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Kentucky.

Does that help?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:05 pm
Peter Brown wrote: ↑Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:15 am
Most Florida Dems, if given the opportunity, would obliterate the economy down here (until the economy tanked). Trust me, our Democratic representatives are almost superhuman in their anti-business attitudes.

It would be a refreshing change in this forum if your right wingers could back up your claims with evidence, for once.

https://www.investors.com/politics/comm ... udy-finds/
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm He's using his spider sense that sez Democrats are bad. Facts and cited laws are stupid.

We've repeatedly seen that since the old LP days. Over and over again the right wingers make ridiculous claims but never back those absurd allegations with so much as an iota of evidence. In the past if you challenged them on their ridiculous comments, your post would get deleted. Here they have no such luxury. So, we'll wait for their "proofs" and post daily reminders.

Clearly the taxpayers have no idea what they are doing!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickgle ... d2cc286d6a
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I could keep going all day, but you get the picture. I hope.

https://www.city-journal.org/democrat-states-midterms
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:35 pm

This article is more than 2 years old.

Yeah, real brilliant.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 pm

No argument with you in that regard.
Let's just hold all of us to the same standard...I don't think you have any issue with that as you seem quite willing to support your views with data and logic.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:38 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:35 pm

This article is more than 2 years old.

Yeah, real brilliant.

I'm so sorry I don't have the 2019 data at my fingertips! (psst: I promise you, the exodus from blue to red for high income earners has only accelerated. But you do you! :lol: )

Brooklyn.jpg
Brooklyn.jpg (19.98 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:33 pm

Oh, you want evidence that Democrats are inclined to penalize for-profit business? Seriously?

https://www.mercatus.org/system/files/n ... rch-v1.pdf

For 2016, the latest year for which data are available, the top five most fiscally sound states were, in order: Nebraska, South Dakota, Tennessee, Florida and Oklahoma.

The five worst states, starting at the bottom: Illinois, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Kentucky.

Does that help?

South Dakota? Where life in the reservations isn't so sweet: ''Many of these counties are in North Dakota, South Dakota and Alaska. And in certain communities such as on the Pine Ridge Reservation, unemployment can exceed 80 percent.''

http://blog.nativepartnership.org/labor ... sparities/

All three along with Kentucky = Republican states

Return to “POLITICS”