Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Peter Brown »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:11 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:52 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:13 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:50 am Watching this game on ESPNU right now.

You guys are too tough on your squad. It was a cold day. When the score got to 11-7, then 11-8, a pipe by Desimone could easily have gone in, ballooning the score and who knows after that.

I think the 5 on 4, then the Jacksonville goalie Millikan made an amazing save, again if that goes in, the floodgates open.

Just such a fine line between you guys being happy or not.

Hopkins defense looks solid. I like 31 whoever that is. Tough kid.

The offense IMO looks better than in a long time. Desimone impresses. They have to set Grimes up like Maryland does with Wisnaukas…lefty snipe.

Kudos to Jacksonville’s Galloway. He’s got the vibe of a great coach. Waldbaum plays smart. Gotta cheer for my Florida boys.
Agreed on Galloway. One wonders whether Cuse went with the wrong alumnus. We'll see.
No doubt Galloway is a rising star and has a bright future. That is very agreed on, however he is still chasing Jacksonvilles signature moment where they take the next step, until he gets there he’s probably on the outside of job searches at that level. I would agree he’s capable of leading a major program, although like with any young HC at the top level, there will be a few growing pains.
All true, but it remains a fact that they hired a HC with exactly zero experience coaching men's lacrosse at this level. No doubt Gary would have the leg up on the off-the-field and adminitsrative stuff. But Galloway has already arguably experienced more on-the-field growing pains than the guy they hired.

Galloway just has that look and gives off a vibe of being very much in control of all phases of the game. I can’t really explain it, but he seems like a guy I’d want to play for.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:50 am Watching this game on ESPNU right now.

You guys are too tough on your squad. It was a cold day. When the score got to 11-7, then 11-8, a pipe by Desimone could easily have gone in, ballooning the score and who knows after that.

I think the 5 on 4, then the Jacksonville goalie Millikan made an amazing save, again if that goes in, the floodgates open.

The offense IMO looks better than in a long time. Desimone impresses. They have to set Grimes up like Maryland does with Wisnaukas…lefty snipe.

Kudos to Jacksonville’s Galloway. He’s got the vibe of a great coach. Waldbaum plays smart. Gotta cheer for my Florida boys.
Agreed on Galloway. One wonders whether Cuse went with the wrong alumnus. We'll see.
No doubt Galloway is a rising star and has a bright future. That is very agreed on, however he is still chasing Jacksonvilles signature moment where they take the next step, until he gets there he’s probably on the outside of job searches at that level. I would agree he’s capable of leading a major program, although like with any young HC at the top level, there will be a few growing pains.
All true, but it remains a fact that they hired a HC with exactly zero experience coaching men's lacrosse at this level. No doubt Gary would have the leg up on the off-the-field and adminitsrative stuff. But Galloway has already arguably experienced more on-the-field growing pains than the guy they hired.
there's nothing to date in results... one large piece of the decision making... that would put him above g gait in the hierarchy for a cuse job. or many others.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I am in 100% agreement with that. I am also a firm believer that being a great player doesn’t always = being a great coach. Gary may prove to be a terrible hire, but the buzz it generated could not have been matched by anyone but him. Recruits like buzz.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:11 pm

That was a reasonable, rational post. Thank you. :shock:

DocBarrister :shock:

Got to be honest, Doc. HOP actually look good IMO. I couldn’t find one phase I’m not impressed by. They just look better. I don’t know how deep they go on the bench in case anyone is injured, but the phases of the game you want confidence in, especially defense and midfield speed, I think they are impressive. And this was a game where I think two of their players who will excel this year, Epstein and Grimes, didn’t really bust out.

You guys (hop fans) are mercilessly unforgiving on this team sometimes, if they don’t torch a team like Jacksonville, so you don’t see the good, but as a fan of another squad, I do.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:08 pm 31 is McManus. He got a little chippy yesterday a couple of times. Thought he could have gotten another flag or two. Didn't really expect to see that from him, but from a Hop perspective, good to see a little attitude from the defense. One more QK note - anyone else notice when he called McManus, Colwell?
He's always been like that. Very physical. Needs to be careful but I like the aggression.

Worth noting that Galloway interviewed for the Hopkins job and that the admin really liked him. He's going to get a top job sooner or later.

I caught a little bit of the ESPNU replay this morning and what stood out to me was just how much juice Keogh had. He was getting separation basically at will with decisive moves. If he and Angelus can continue to beat up on short sticks, things are really going to open up for Grimes/Degnon/Epstein and the other shooters.

Nice to see Raposo reunited with high school teammate Peshko at the midfield
Last edited by HopFan16 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

One wonders....yes, you. I doubt there's another.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

I see what you are saying, wgdsr. My point is that Gait has produced zero results as a D1 men's lacrosse coach. Listen, he may turn out to be a spectacular hire, and I can see part of the appeal, but results were not the reason he got the job.
primitiveskills

[/quote]

Recruits like buzz.
[/quote]

No doubt
DMac

Post by DMac »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:24 pm I see what you are saying, wgdsr. My point is that Gait has produced zero results as a D1 men's lacrosse coach. Listen, he may turn out to be a spectacular hire, and I can see part of the appeal, but results were not the reason he got the job.
Results as a D1 mlax coach, no.
Results in everything else lacrosse, yes.
C'mon.
primitiveskills

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:30 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:24 pm I see what you are saying, wgdsr. My point is that Gait has produced zero results as a D1 men's lacrosse coach. Listen, he may turn out to be a spectacular hire, and I can see part of the appeal, but results were not the reason he got the job.
Results as a D1 mlax coach, no.
Results in everything else lacrosse, yes.
C'mon.
Understood. Interested to see how it plays out. Best of luck this year (well, except for March 13!).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

we'll just disagree. putting it this way-- you think he's hired if they're a middling women's team? not a chance, imo.
and that's a strange take given galloway. is galloway hired at umd, uva, nd, duke, or unc if those jobs came up? he's behind 2 guys in his own conference!

if you're speaking brand, buzz... it's beyond that, too. as likely that brand beyond heyday is that gait's most likely to turn them into that old run and gun style and give them their identity back beyond g gait is your coach. plus just maybe you're not paying 2 coaches big bucks as a bonus (tho that may be wrong or non factor).
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:37 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:31 am 11 for 45 shooting - only Keogh/DeSimone/McDermott were at or over 33%.
This is Jake Lilly erasure!!!

Degnon was also 1/2. Need him to take a few more shots.

Offense will come around, still figuring a few things out. DeSo looks the same as last year (in a good way) if not a hair quicker and if Keogh stays healthy that's another versatile weapon. Epstein probably isn't ever getting back to his freshman year form but I don't foresee many more 0 and 0 games from him.
Can’t still be the knee. So what happened? Did his noted work ethic fade away after his freshy success? Im honestly fascinated what happened. I’ve heard speculation about some of the Seniors liking the nightlife and the really late nites but that is nothing new for a group of college kids.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Early returns are Evan Zinn can play? Don’t understand what happened at Hop.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:22 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:11 pm

That was a reasonable, rational post. Thank you. :shock:

DocBarrister :shock:

Got to be honest, Doc. HOP actually look good IMO. I couldn’t find one phase I’m not impressed by. They just look better. I don’t know how deep they go on the bench in case anyone is injured, but the phases of the game you want confidence in, especially defense and midfield speed, I think they are impressive. And this was a game where I think two of their players who will excel this year, Epstein and Grimes, didn’t really bust out.

You guys (hop fans) are mercilessly unforgiving on this team sometimes, if they don’t torch a team like Jacksonville, so you don’t see the good, but as a fan of another squad, I do.
I actually agree with you, PB. Thought there were many positives in yesterday’s game, with goalie play my main area of concern.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:09 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:31 am 11 for 45 shooting - only Keogh/DeSimone/McDermott were at or over 33%.

Offense will come around, still figuring a few things out. DeSo looks the same as last year (in a good way) if not a hair quicker and if Keogh stays healthy that's another versatile weapon. Epstein probably isn't ever getting back to his freshman year form but I don't foresee many more 0 and 0 games from him.
Can’t still be the knee. So what happened? Did his noted work ethic fade away after his freshy success? Im honestly fascinated what happened. I’ve heard speculation about some of the Seniors liking the nightlife and the really late nites but that is nothing new for a group of college kids.
After the "Kirson is last on the depth chart" thing I'm not sure your speculation is worth a whole lot at the moment. :lol:

It definitely can still be lingering effects of the knee IMO. Some guys are never the same after a significant injury. You see it in pro sports too. He's also not playing the same role he did as a freshman when he operated behind the cage and basically the entire offense ran through him. He had a 6 goal outburst in game #2 last year after a less than stellar opener and then another hat trick vs Maryland a week later...hopefully we get the same this season.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

blue angels wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:12 pm Early returns are Evan Zinn can play? Don’t understand what happened at Hop.
I don’t know what happened but whatever it was, that and other poor player evaluations resulted in Benson coaching at College Park and Petro wearing Orange at Cuse.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:23 pm

After the "Kirson is last on the depth chart" thing I'm not sure your speculation is worth a whole lot at the moment. :lol:
Haha fair. To also be fair what I was told was he had a long climb in the fall. I’ve been following this team for a long time and maybe I’m just used to guys not making that climb.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I don’t know for sure, but if I had to speculate … Epstein is a creature of habit. One only needs to watch his video from 8th grade to see some of the same moves that he employed as a freshman at Hopkins. His work ethic is part of that, and I doubt he will ever stop working hard at his game. Probably a big part of why he is a three-time captain.

Having said that, Epstein probably grew accustomed to being the center of an offense and directing things from his office behind the net. That doesn’t really fit into the Milliman/JGJr offense, especially since DeSimone moved to attack.

More than any other player on offense, I think Epstein is the one player who has the potential to be a first-team All-American this season. But they need to invest the time and effort to get Epstein the ball more.

Frankly, the Blue Jays may be better off distributing the ball more. I’m just not convinced yet that Epstein is a good fit for the Milliman/JGJr offense, which really does not put the focus on one guy.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:41 pm
we'll just disagree. putting it this way-- you think he's hired if they're a middling women's team? not a chance, imo.
and that's a strange take given galloway. is galloway hired at umd, uva, nd, duke, or unc if those jobs came up? he's behind 2 guys in his own conference!

if you're speaking brand, buzz... it's beyond that, too. as likely that brand beyond heyday is that gait's most likely to turn them into that old run and gun style and give them their identity back beyond g gait is your coach. plus just maybe you're not paying 2 coaches big bucks as a bonus (tho that may be wrong or non factor).
I think the Jacksonville program has a bright future. Florida is becoming a new hotbed of lacrosse and Galloway brings blue-chip credentials to the coaching staff. Looks like the university is also investing in some decent facilities. Coach Galloway is clearly interested in upgrading the team’s schedule … playing at Homewood for the first time must have been a big deal for the program.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:41 pm

Syracuse has a pretty good offensive coordinator. Not sure why people seem to think Syracuse just has two coaches.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”