NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Unknown Participant

Re: NESCAC

Post by Unknown Participant »

Dinah wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:33 am Thoughts on the nescac going D1?

If given a full offseason (fall ball, strength and conditioning, etc) where does everyone think a NESCAC all-star team is finishing in the Ivy League? They stealing a win somewhere?
4 seed in the Ivy Tournament.

To comment on an earlier post, I believe farfromgeneva clarified on the D1/Hobart board that Hobart went D1 in lax primarily to keep its traditional upstate rivals in Syracuse, Colgate, Cornell, Army. Hobart is DIII in hockey and I assume all other sports a la Hopkins.
UpperCorner

Post by UpperCorner »

If given a full offseason (fall ball, strength and conditioning, etc) where does everyone think a NESCAC all-star team is finishing in the Ivy League? They stealing a win somewhere?
Yes... many. And they would definitely win the GROY too.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

UpperCorner wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:42 am Yes... many. And they would definitely win the GROY too.
Chuck Norris waits for no man… unless that man is the GROY.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

tiger_fan wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:37 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:54 am
The12lov3 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:48 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:43 am
ah23 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:01 am
beantown_lax879 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:42 pm I count zero wins since Daly left.
So...you count two losses in the national semifinals to the eventual national champion? Geez, Tufts should really move on and find a coach who knows how to win! :roll:

Tufts is 90-14 with D'Annolfo as HC. 90-14! If not winning a title means a coach is a failure, then sure. I just don't think that's a very good way to look at this.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. However it is fair to say that Tufts literally gets better players year after year than everyone in D3. They have a full fledge Nike contract better than most Ivys. More academic, admissions, and financial support than every peer school of theirs by a significant margin. When D’Annolfo took over Tufts had been to 3 out of the last 4 national championships. They haven’t been to one since.

It’s like taking Alabama footballs roster for the last 8 years and never making a national championship. Only imagine if Alabama was one of the only schools spending that amount of money to win. That’s essentially what Tufts is.
Tufts get better players because of the coach and the ability to sell the player and the family on the school. Yes he has not been to NC but it takes time even for new coaches that inherit top programs to make it. The 2020 team was pretty special to have the season cut short. To be honest, most programs go to turd after the coach leaves but that has not been the case with Tufts. He get better athlete because of his ability to spot and DEVELOP talent. Jack Boyten is a great example. He developed him into the player that he is and who is arguable the best player at the division 3 level in the country. Yes I said that. There are plenty of schools that have the resources, academics, and location Tufts has and they are NOT perennial d3 powerhouses year in and year out for the last decade. D'Annolfo took the Tafts team from one of the worst teams to one of the best teams in the country. He is a great coach and will eventually prove it to all you naysayers
I defy you to name 1 D3 school that has the budget, resources, size, academic prestige, location, and exposure that Tufts has. Just one. Tufts just flipped a kid from Ohio State, show me 1 D3 school that has the brand capable of doing that.
Sounds like you are saying Tufts should go D1 in Lacrosse like Hobart.
At the risk of starting the whole D1/D3 debate the thought of Tufts going D1 is pretty funny. I know people will bring up the Covid Dartmouth scrimmage as an example, but lets be serious. Hobart went from arguably, albeit a much different time, the most dominant team in any one division to a completely mediocre D1 team that struggles to get above .500 every year. Why would Tufts want to follow that game plan.

Will be super interesting to see how Salisbury makes the transition next year. I imagine the first few years will very much be a struggle as their roster will still be comprised of mostly D3 players as they transition. I also do not know if they have been allowed to give scholarships. The NCAA is very reluctant to grant D3 schools, unless grandfathered, JHU in lacrosse was one of them. Union won the D1 Hockey national championship in 2014 without scholarships. After petitioning the NCAA again they were finally granted the ability to do so last year. Hopefully the Gulls make the move seamlessly and have some success.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:32 am
beantown_lax879 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:42 pm I count zero wins since Daly left.
So...you count two losses in the national semifinals to the eventual national champion? Geez, Tufts should really move on and find a coach who knows how to win! :roll:

Tufts is 90-14 with D'Annolfo as HC. 90-14! If not winning a title means a coach is a failure, then sure. I just don't think that's a very good way to look at this.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. However it is fair to say that Tufts literally gets better players year after year than everyone in D3. They have a full fledge Nike contract better than most Ivys. More academic, admissions, and financial support than every peer school of theirs by a significant margin. When D’Annolfo took over Tufts had been to 3 out of the last 4 national championships. They haven’t been to one since.

It’s like taking Alabama footballs roster for the last 8 years and never making a national championship. Only imagine if Alabama was one of the only schools spending that amount of money to win. That’s essentially what Tufts is.
Tufts get better players because of the coach and the ability to sell the player and the family on the school. Yes he has not been to NC but it takes time even for new coaches that inherit top programs to make it. The 2020 team was pretty special to have the season cut short. To be honest, most programs go to turd after the coach leaves but that has not been the case with Tufts. He get better athlete because of his ability to spot and DEVELOP talent. Jack Boyten is a great example. He developed him into the player that he is and who is arguable the best player at the division 3 level in the country. Yes I said that. There are plenty of schools that have the resources, academics, and location Tufts has and they are NOT perennial d3 powerhouses year in and year out for the last decade. D'Annolfo took the Tafts team from one of the worst teams to one of the best teams in the country. He is a great coach and will eventually prove it to all you naysayers
I defy you to name 1 D3 school that has the budget, resources, size, academic prestige, location, and exposure that Tufts has. Just one. Tufts just flipped a kid from Ohio State, show me 1 D3 school that has the brand capable of doing that.
At the risk of starting the whole D1/D3 debate the thought of Tufts going D1 is pretty funny. I know people will bring up the Covid Dartmouth scrimmage as an example, but lets be serious. Hobart went from arguably, albeit a much different time, the most dominant team in any one division to a completely mediocre D1 team that struggles to get above .500 every year. Why would Tufts want to follow that game plan.

Will be super interesting to see how Salisbury makes the transition next year. I imagine the first few years will very much be a struggle as their roster will still be comprised of mostly D3 players as they transition. I also do not know if they have been allowed to give scholarships. The NCAA is very reluctant to grant D3 schools, unless grandfathered, JHU in lacrosse was one of them. Union won the D1 Hockey national championship in 2014 without scholarships. After petitioning the NCAA again they were finally granted the ability to do so last year. Hopefully the Gulls make the move seamlessly and have some success.
What are you talking about?
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

April 1st is tomorrow.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I've contemplated asking this same question here before. I believe around 4th or 5th in the league depending on what type of year it is for the Ivy. Every season there's enough guys across the 11 teams who'd look seamless and productive playing in the IL to field a team, with a few players who'd be in the mix for some sort of All-Ivy recognition. What you rarely have are Kirst, Adler, Handley Tewaaraton/PLL 1st Round type players who keep that top tier of Ivies competitive against ACC/Big 10 caliber opponents - although Max Waldbaum was pretty close last season.
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:46 am

I've contemplated asking this same question here before. I believe around 4th or 5th in the league depending on what type of year it is for the Ivy. Every season there's enough guys across the 11 teams who'd look seamless and productive playing in the IL to field a team, with a few players who'd be in the mix for some sort of All-Ivy recognition. What you rarely have are Kirst, Adler, Handley Tewaaraton/PLL 1st Round type players who keep that top tier of Ivies competitive against ACC/Big 10 caliber opponents - although Max Waldbaum was pretty close last season.
Would love to see this, there is just too much talent in the game right now to think that this is not possible. NESCAC is loaded with guys that could have played D1 but opted not to and some who have gotten better in D3. All a mix, but this would be an awesome experiment. Love the idea!
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:40 am

I have to fall on the sword here. I thought I read where they were moving up. I am mistaken, they are part of the new Coastal Conference. My bad!!
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:25 am

I have to fall on the sword here. I thought I read where they were moving up. I am mistaken, they are part of the new Coastal Conference. My bad!!
I thought you had just posted this one day too early...
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

boredatwork wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:40 am

It was an April Fools joke on Twitter by TLN last year. Looked like a legit press release on Twitter until they said it was reported by Woj and Schefter.
Dinah

Post by Dinah »

Alright I'll take the first take on some score predictions for tomorrow.

Bowdoin @ Amherst - I'm fairly high on this Amherst team right now. Think they're playing really solid, complete lacrosse. Outside of the usual suspects on attack, expecting a big day from Adams (#5) in the midfield. Barnard will do enough (as he always does) to get Byrne and Fitzgerald looks, but it won't be enough in the end. 17-13 final.

Conn @ Colby - Good chance for an upstart Conn team to prove they're officially a step above some of the lesser teams in the league and notch a convincing win vs an ailing Colby program. 12-7 final.

Hamilton @ Wesleyan - Wesleyan hasn't proven they can beat a good team yet this year, trotting out fairly anemic offensive performances vs Stevens and Bowdoin. While Hamilton has been streaky, they have proven they can hang with Bowdoin and played Amherst reasonably tight in the season opener (I'm throwing out the MIT tape a bit). It will be on Brumbaugh and Wunderle to crack the zone, but think Hamilton tops the Cardinals in a 14-11 victory.

Bates @ Williams - Solid showing for Williams on Wednesday afternoon hanging with CNU for 3 quarters before the wheels came off a bit. Expecting a somewhat underwhelming performance from them on Saturday in a win vs Bates that breaks a two game skid. Freitas shows up, but the offense doesn't get off the bus until the second half. 13-5 final.

Trinity @ MIT - Will Trinity emulate Springfield's winning strategy and lock off Gerbhardt? If I were them, I'd make the next 5 beat me. Yaccino will make enough saves to make this game look a little closer than it was, but don't expect Trinity to steal one on the road in Cambridge in a bounce back win for MIT. 15-8 final.

Middlebury @ Tufts - Battle of the undefeateds and obvious game of the weekend. I'll be attending this one in person and am looking forward to catching what should be a great one live. Tufts is extremely hard to beat on Bello (and anywhere else, for that matter), but of course dropped a 21-14 rout to the Panthers up in Middlebury last year. No one is catching anyone by surprise this time around. And for the fun of it, I'll take a Panthers squad that has started to gel of late - taking advantage of a strong first half to pull ahead and fending off Tufts in the second half. With that said, keep an eye on the X.. if Tufts is able to win faceoffs at the clip they're used to (let's say 60% or above), I doubt the Panthers can score at the clip they'll need to stick around. In the end, the undefeated journey for Middlebury continues (for now) with a 18-15 road win.
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

Not Suitable wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:51 am
boredatwork wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:40 am

It was an April Fools joke on Twitter by TLN last year. Looked like a legit press release on Twitter until they said it was reported by Woj and Schefter.
Not sure if that is where I saw it but I knew it was out there, lol. Will remove the fishhook from my mouth!
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

Dinah wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:20 pm Alright I'll take the first take on some score predictions for tomorrow.

Bowdoin @ Amherst - I'm fairly high on this Amherst team right now. Think they're playing really solid, complete lacrosse. Outside of the usual suspects on attack, expecting a big day from Adams (#5) in the midfield. Barnard will do enough (as he always does) to get Byrne and Fitzgerald looks, but it won't be enough in the end. 17-13 final.

Conn @ Colby - Good chance for an upstart Conn team to prove they're officially a step above some of the lesser teams in the league and notch a convincing win vs an ailing Colby program. 12-7 final.

Hamilton @ Wesleyan - Wesleyan hasn't proven they can beat a good team yet this year, trotting out fairly anemic offensive performances vs Stevens and Bowdoin. While Hamilton has been streaky, they have proven they can hang with Bowdoin and played Amherst reasonably tight in the season opener (I'm throwing out the MIT tape a bit). It will be on Brumbaugh and Wunderle to crack the zone, but think Hamilton tops the Cardinals in a 14-11 victory.

Bates @ Williams - Solid showing for Williams on Wednesday afternoon hanging with CNU for 3 quarters before the wheels came off a bit. Expecting a somewhat underwhelming performance from them on Saturday in a win vs Bates that breaks a two game skid. Freitas shows up, but the offense doesn't get off the bus until the second half. 13-5 final.

Trinity @ MIT - Will Trinity emulate Springfield's winning strategy and lock off Gerbhardt? If I were them, I'd make the next 5 beat me. Yaccino will make enough saves to make this game look a little closer than it was, but don't expect Trinity to steal one on the road in Cambridge in a bounce back win for MIT. 15-8 final.

Middlebury @ Tufts - Battle of the undefeateds and obvious game of the weekend. I'll be attending this one in person and am looking forward to catching what should be a great one live. Tufts is extremely hard to beat on Bello (and anywhere else, for that matter), but of course dropped a 21-14 rout to the Panthers up in Middlebury last year. No one is catching anyone by surprise this time around. And for the fun of it, I'll take a Panthers squad that has started to gel of late - taking advantage of a strong first half to pull ahead and fending off Tufts in the second half. With that said, keep an eye on the X.. if Tufts is able to win faceoffs at the clip they're used to (let's say 60% or above), I doubt the Panthers can score at the clip they'll need to stick around. In the end, the undefeated journey for Middlebury continues (for now) with a 18-15 road win.
Great insight as usual!

I agree with you on Amherst, their firepower is impressive, DeMallie, Krummenacher and Adams all strong players and leaders on this team. Question for me is their D. They have given up a ton of goals and the Bowdoin attack can light it up. I like Amherst as well but think the score replicates their game with Tufts with both teams in the 20's.

Bell Weather game for Hamilton this week. Will go a long way to proving if they are for real. Like them to come out swinging. Love their goalie and also look for Somer to have a hand in breaking down the Wesleyan zone with the two guys on attack.

Williams will get to rest some kids against Bates and see the score more like 20-8. Glad to see Bates get their first win but Williams will be too much for them to handle, but then again I am slightly biased.

Trinity does not have anyone capable of locking off #42. Yaccino not withstanding, Trinity goes home with an L

Going out on a limb with the Midd pick! Have seen them play a few times and love their balance on Offense, just do not see them being able to run up and down the field with the Jumbos. I will take your score but flip it.
smoova

Post by smoova »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:54 pm
Dinah wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:20 pm Alright I'll take the first take on some score predictions for tomorrow.

Great insight as usual!

I agree with you on Amherst, their firepower is impressive, DeMallie, Krummenacher and Adams all strong players and leaders on this team. Question for me is their D. They have given up a ton of goals and the Bowdoin attack can light it up. I like Amherst as well but think the score replicates their game with Tufts with both teams in the 20's.

Bell Weather game for Hamilton this week. Will go a long way to proving if they are for real. Like them to come out swinging. Love their goalie and also look for Somer to have a hand in breaking down the Wesleyan zone with the two guys on attack.

Williams will get to rest some kids against Bates and see the score more like 20-8. Glad to see Bates get their first win but Williams will be too much for them to handle, but then again I am slightly biased.

Trinity does not have anyone capable of locking off #42. Yaccino not withstanding, Trinity goes home with an L

Going out on a limb with the Midd pick! Have seen them play a few times and love their balance on Offense, just do not see them being able to run up and down the field with the Jumbos. I will take your score but flip it.
^ Two excellent takes here!

The real meat of the NESCAC schedule is upon us! In the next week we get Midd/Tufts, Wes/Hamilton, Hamilton/Midd, Wes/Amherst, Wes/Midd and Tufts/Williams. Great lacrosse games and most could go either way! It's glorious!

I've watched every Midd game this year and they've had to squeak out a couple due to pretty poor ball control/discipline on the righty side of the offense. If that happens or the Midd poles continue get sucked into taking the ball all the way to the crease, Tufts LSMs will have a field day going the other way. That said, the Midd defense is humming and Kern has been standing on his head (would not be surprised to see his penchant for snagging passes result in him leading all NESCAC GKs in CTOs). Based on the Tufts/Union game, I think this may be a lower-scoring affair and if Midd keeps Tufts under 15 (which Union did), there's a good chance for an upset.

I'm an unabashed Midd homer, so I'll take the Panthers by a goal - 15-14.
Last edited by smoova on Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

GROY - GILF ROOKIE OF HE YEAR
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

“GROY… if you have to ask, you’ll never know”
-Miles Davis
-NESCAC lacrosse
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

JaxsonGrey68 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:54 pm

Great insight as usual!

Williams vs Bates moved to noon. Expecting thunderstorms in Williamstown, maybe melt the remaining snow.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Bluecollarnescac

Post by Bluecollarnescac »

Glad we have moved on from the needless drivel about Tufts lacrosse..... Changing subjects for a second.

https://twitter.com/CoachDAnnolfo/statu ... 94368?s=20

Is this the type of language we want out there to be representative of the NESCAC? I get the U is redacted but still... also heard it's going to be raining out there in Medford - perhaps could get some mud streaks on these on the way in? Midd might have an advantage today with this type of decision making...

Discuss below.
D3laxisgoated

Post by D3laxisgoated »

I’ll tell you this right now- Wesleyan is not losing to no Hamilton 😂😂😂 I’ll quite literally call this a lopsided win for Wesleyan. 15-7

And yes - come back and roast me all you want if they lose

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”