The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
CU77

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by CU77 »

Nobel Laureate Paul Krugman in the NYT:
So what’s in the stimulus bill that McConnell is trying to ram through the Senate? It grudgingly provides some, but only some, of the aid Americans in distress will need. Funny, isn’t it, how helping ordinary Americans is always framed as a “Democratic demand”?
it also includes a $500 billion slush fund for corporations that the Trump administration could allocate at its discretion, with essentially no oversight. This isn’t just terrible policy; it’s an insult to our intelligence.
Finally, we’ve just had a definitive test of the underlying premise of the McConnell slush fund — that if you give corporations money without strings attached they will use it for the benefit of workers and the economy as a whole. In 2017 Republicans rammed through a huge corporate tax cut, which they assured us would lead to higher wages and surging business investment.

Neither of these things happened; instead, corporations basically used the money to buy back their own stock. Why would this time be any different?

As I write this, Republicans are ranting that Democrats are sabotaging the economy by refusing to pass McConnell’s bill — which is a bit rich for those who remember the G.O.P.’s scorched-earth opposition to everything Barack Obama proposed. But in any case, if McConnell really wants action, he could get it easily either by dropping his demand for a Trump-controlled slush fund or by passing the stimulus bill House Democrats are likely to offer very soon.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/opin ... virus.html

And absolutely nobody is opposed to the gubmint doing some kind of massive bailout.

There are no capitalists in foxholes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 pm Walt. Advanced diplomas brewing and distilling. Scott has MEnvEng Stanford, BS/BS Econ./Industrial Engineering Northwestern.

Walt was a "tad" more talented than I am.....
Woulda wagered it was the other way around. :P

You can’t be too bad if you know your whiskey. ;)

You need to start a thread discussing whiskey ... and only whiskey.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 pm Walt. Advanced diplomas brewing and distilling. Scott has MEnvEng Stanford, BS/BS Econ./Industrial Engineering Northwestern.

You can’t be too bad if you know your whiskey. ;)

You need to start a thread discussing whiskey ... and only whiskey.

DocBarrister :)
Last edited by DocBarrister on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

The Dems plan of $1500 per person ($300 more than the Senate plan) is a joke.

Kismet is right-----this is the first of many bills. NO WAY will this get the economy on track for a two month shut down, let alone a 30 day shut down.

I have no clue how they think this bill will fix what's happened to restaurants and their workers. And that's just one industry.

Basically, they're incentivizing people to NOT shelter in place. And that will be a disaster both economically and biologically.

They're also incentivizing desperate business owners to lay their people off, and collect unemployment. I have NO CLUE how they think States will process this volume in 30 days, let alone 60. Oh, by the way....did I mention rent is due in a few days?

If this is it? Double digit unemployment is conceded. And Trump would lose to a houseplant in the Fall.

I have a difficult seeing Trump let that happen. It's a bunch of millionaires who can't add, and don't get what economics are like for the bottom 75% American earners.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:52 am

No. My brother is the smart one, believe me...
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Cut to the chase. Does anyone really believe Nancy Pelosi and the democrats want to stimulate the economy?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Are you new in this country? How many times must Democrats restart the economy after a Republican has crashed it. Biden will govern a country in far worse shape than the one he and Obama handed off, maybe worse than GW Bush left.

What happened before Trump called for re-evaluating lockdowns? His company had to close 6 of its top 7 revenue-generating clubs and hotels.
Last edited by Trinity on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Trinity wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:36 am Are you new in this country? How many times must Democrats restart the economy after a Republican has crashed it. Biden will govern a country in far worse shape than the one he and Obama handed off, maybe worse than GW Bush left.
Did you catch Joe Biden unedited "speech" on the Coronavirus yesterday?

He won't be GOVERNING anything.

Shovel ready jobs, misspent tarp and Obama care led the slowest recovery in US history.

But that's not he point.

Democrats have no other way to the whitehouse unless the virus does it for them. I have little confidence they will do anything to help.
Last edited by 6ftstick on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bart

Post by Bart »

6ftstick wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:12 am Cut to the chase. Does anyone really believe Nancy Pelosi and the democrats want to stimulate the economy?
I don't know what any of these F'n a-holes want. From the very top to the every member in the Senate and Congress. P!ss on them all. This should not have been that hard. Bare bones legislation. But how long was the bill? F em all.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The Trump Org has been on the Federal dole since he won. He’s in court defending his right to charge us retail for every ice cube. He’s already had his bailout.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

The political system is not built for this kind of crisis, and the rancor of the weekend and yesterday was to be expected. Aim your fire at Democrats? Sure, but remember that McConnell didn't even get his entire caucus to back the bill he proposed. From the Post article this AM:

"Democrats have argued that the Senate GOP bill is disproportionately tilted toward helping companies and needs to extend more benefits to families and health-care providers. Republicans have countered that the measure offers unprecedented financial assistance to the entire economy and needs to be passed before more people lose their jobs. Some economists have projected that more than 3 million people were laid off last week as businesses and consumers pulled back, and those numbers are only expected to grow.

The vote Monday was 49 to 46, well short of the 60-vote threshold needed to advance the legislation for a final debate."

Republicans proposed a bad bill; Democrats countered, with one from the house of Congress that appropriates the money, that is flawed. The push and pull is not "bad," so much as it is to be expected. They'll pass a bill today that will be seriously imperfect, and will result in a series of hole-plugging bills over the next few weeks. It won't be pretty.

Meanwhile, the Chief Ninkompoop wants everyone to go back to work and stop all this palaver about distancing...so Eric has better cash flow.

https://twitter.com/T_Inglesby
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For anyone interested the FDIC releases a national “quarterly banking profile”. Here is the link to the end of 2019, last full quarter, report.

https://www.fdic.gov/bank/analytical/qb ... pdf#page=1
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For anyone interested the FDIC releases a national “quarterly banking profile”. Here is the link to the end of 2019, last full quarter, report.

https://www.fdic.gov/bank/analytical/qb ... pdf#page=1
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:55 am The political system is not built for this kind of crisis, and the rancor of the weekend and yesterday was to be expected. Aim your fire at Democrats? Sure, but remember that McConnell didn't even get his entire caucus to back the bill he proposed. From the Post article this AM:

"Democrats have argued that the Senate GOP bill is disproportionately tilted toward helping companies and needs to extend more benefits to families and health-care providers. Republicans have countered that the measure offers unprecedented financial assistance to the entire economy and needs to be passed before more people lose their jobs. Some economists have projected that more than 3 million people were laid off last week as businesses and consumers pulled back, and those numbers are only expected to grow.

The vote Monday was 49 to 46, well short of the 60-vote threshold needed to advance the legislation for a final debate."

Republicans proposed a bad bill; Democrats countered, with one from the house of Congress that appropriates the money, that is flawed. The push and pull is not "bad," so much as it is to be expected. They'll pass a bill today that will be seriously imperfect, and will result in a series of hole-plugging bills over the next few weeks. It won't be pretty.

Meanwhile, the Chief Ninkompoop wants everyone to go back to work and stop all this palaver about distancing...so Eric has better cash flow.

https://twitter.com/T_Inglesby
I posted his (Inglesby) entire thread in the Coronavirus area.

Not so sure there will be the series of hole-plugging bills to follow, although I expect something will pass today. I think McConnell tried to pull a fast one (taking out some things the Ds had thought there was previous agreement on) since he got caught (politically) with his pants down last week without a bill and a House out of town so had no choice of passing Pelosi's version of the first round. Ds came back with a loaded response to make sure the Rs knew they were not as stupid as McConnell wanted to make them out as.

McConnell is in a bit of a bind as his caucus (without electronic voting) is shrinking as we speak due to self-quarantine...
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

CU77 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:57 am Nobel Laureate Paul Krugman in the NYT:
So what’s in the stimulus bill that McConnell is trying to ram through the Senate? It grudgingly provides some, but only some, of the aid Americans in distress will need. Funny, isn’t it, how helping ordinary Americans is always framed as a “Democratic demand”?
it also includes a $500 billion slush fund for corporations that the Trump administration could allocate at its discretion, with essentially no oversight. This isn’t just terrible policy; it’s an insult to our intelligence.
Finally, we’ve just had a definitive test of the underlying premise of the McConnell slush fund — that if you give corporations money without strings attached they will use it for the benefit of workers and the economy as a whole. In 2017 Republicans rammed through a huge corporate tax cut, which they assured us would lead to higher wages and surging business investment.

Neither of these things happened; instead, corporations basically used the money to buy back their own stock. Why would this time be any different?

As I write this, Republicans are ranting that Democrats are sabotaging the economy by refusing to pass McConnell’s bill — which is a bit rich for those who remember the G.O.P.’s scorched-earth opposition to everything Barack Obama proposed. But in any case, if McConnell really wants action, he could get it easily either by dropping his demand for a Trump-controlled slush fund or by passing the stimulus bill House Democrats are likely to offer very soon.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/opin ... virus.html

And absolutely nobody is opposed to the gubmint doing some kind of massive bailout.

There are no capitalists in foxholes.
Nobel laureat Paul Krugman who predicted the world would end if Trump was elected.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/ ... 016-231055
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Now being reported that Trump is not really onboard with the latest version of the bill. This could sabotage it.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Olympics are now being delayed for 1 year.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
LandM

Post by LandM »

C&S,
I think Colleen took over just a few years ago. The local lore is Danny built off what his dad's idea was. Either way, I drive by the organic farm on my way into town. IMHO, waste of good property......but so was Danny's ex-wife, tearing down a multi-million dollar home for new digs right around the corner, well down the street. IMHO, that is when you have too much money and flipping the bird. There are three families in Canandaigua, Wegmans, Galisono, and Sands. My good friend is the chief pilot for the Sands boys, amazing what you can stuff in a plane - another legacy family where the kids did not f'it up.

Far,
Not disagreeing with your analogy, but during the hey day of the dotcom.....wow nellie, wild times. The credit crisis was almost as bad. People were selling off an idea on a napkin.

To clarify, yes everyone has an EBITDA, some are positive and some are negative. What is the multiple for a negative EBITDA, % of revenue? Nope some future value that most of the times does not work.

IMHO you can hide in a bed or go live your life. Time for the daily walk.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:41 am Olympics are now being delayed for 1 year.
Olympics are a tv show. Not that big a deal if they disappeared altogether at this stage.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:11 am Olympics are a tv show. Not that big a deal if they disappeared altogether at this stage.
????? Any more than all sporting events are TV shows?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “POLITICS”