Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

After last night, are any of you predicting Hopkins to do a bit better than you had originally predicted?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

hopkins d was very good in 6 v 6, but thought a number of those are goals if marcille wasn't gobbling or deflecting some quality shots. same for the jax keeper.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:37 am After last night, are any of you predicting Hopkins to do a bit better than you had originally predicted?
Hard to know. The schedule is brutal and I worry about the offense. FO and defense should keep them in most games, but unless they develop into an off-ball/ ball movement machine on the other end, I still don't see enough guys that can create slides and shooting is going to be a problem. I like how we are playing and where things are going directionally, but not yet convinced this is the year the great leap will happen. Will be fun to watch, though.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:37 am After last night, are any of you predicting Hopkins to do a bit better than you had originally predicted?
Probably about the same. I have them battling to be around .500.

I’m one of the ones that thought JU was vastly overrated in the preseason polls
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

We will have a fair sense of how good this team is by February 18.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:51 pm
Probably about the same. I have them battling to be around .500.

I’m one of the ones that thought JU was vastly overrated in the preseason polls
Esp without their best offensive threat for tbis game though we would get the W anyway i believe
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://soundcloud.com/1010xl-92-5-fm-jax

lot of heat about the broadcast last night but it's sunday afternoon and their coach and the broadcasters have already done a show reviewing the game against us on top of the pod they did before the game last week. Nice praise from their coach for angelus, our faceoff guys and crawley's work for the offense. They're really trying hard to grow that program and lacrosse in that region and hopefully they start to see more and more results.

Hf16 posted the email the hopkins team sent out w/their fundraising asks. Worth pointing out that segment they did w/galloway had 4 sponsors. segment goes from beginning to 1130.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

nyjay wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:48 pm 2/4 Jax: W (1-0) (they win by 4 or 5 goals, say 12-8)
I think I have to take a victory lap on this one.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I'm sticking with my predictions (see page 121). I, like the Jays, are now 1-0.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

No predictions. It's one of the most tired but true cliches - you can only play the next team on the schedule. Georgetown is loaded and they have all the components to make life difficult - starting with an AA face-off man that likely means fewer initial possessions. 20 turnovers with two of them directly leading to a lay-up and an uncontested time and room will not get the job done. While there are no moral victories here - I will say I would be disappointed if the game slipped clearly out of reach in the beginning of the 4th or before that. Looking at last year's game easy to see some things that need to change:
- While you can't control what the other goalie does (but you can control your shot placement) and 12 saves by Kirson was not horrible - his counterpart at Georgetown came up with 17 saves - McElroy is gone so that will be an interesting piece to watch
- Hopkins was doing very well against Reilly through 3 quarters but any hope of cutting into the 4 goal deficit were dashed with Reilly's 6 for 7 in the 4th.
- Degnon and Angelus both played a Claude Raines game - no stats - no goals/assists/shots/ground balls - nothing
- The 3 upperclass leaders - DeSimone/Epstein and Keogh were a combined 3 for 28 shooting - with the exception of Grimes the team was 5 for 34
- For an early season game in very cold weather IIRC, Georgetown took very good care of the ball - only 12 turnovers to Hopkins 16
- While Reilly piled up 9 groundballs - mostly in the 4th - the Georgetown starters out gb'd the Hopkins starters 21-15 including 16 by the goalie and the starting close

Obviously, Hopkins will not be playing its second game in less than 48 hours so if fatigue was a factor it should not be a problem against the Hoyas. (The 14th and the 18th are a different story). Saturday - high of 49? Let's hope so.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Quint ranked the Jays 15th and Georgetown #1 this week. That may be a tad generous to the Hoyas given how many new faces they have, but still an extremely talented team, would say they're top 5 at worst.

https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... ry-6-2023/

Will probably see Scott Smith cover Tucker Dordevic. Beyond that, the matchups are anyone's guess. I am curious to see who GTown puts Will Bowen on. Based on the Jax game, Angelus may have won the honor of facing the #1 cover guy. Bowen is an animal but Angelus' quickness may give him a little bit of trouble. Mazzone swapping rosters is probably worth a point or two in our favor compared with last year's results but we'll need to do a lot better than that to make it a game. Good early test to see where this team really is.
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

Any update on the status of Szuluk ?
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

IL has btn schedule-looks like no btn+ road games this year.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Quiet around here. Can't be having this thread fall off page 1. ;)

Did we ever get a post game presser for the Jacksonville game?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:46 pm Quiet around here. Can't be having this thread fall off page 1. ;)

Don't think so. Ernie traveled with the team but it's rare to get one after a road game — especially when the host team doesn't even give you a locker room.

As for the quietness, the trolls tend to retreat back under their bridges whenever the team wins. They'll be back.

One story line that I think may have been alluded to by someone earlier is that this year the Jays are coming into the Georgetown game with a week of rest. Last year we played them two days after the Towson game. That alone won't make up an 8-goal deficit but it can't hurt to have fresher legs. The Jays were competitive for a half last year before the wheels fell off and my guess is at least part of that had to do with the quick turnaround (Georgetown was also the better team, so there's that too). This year GTown has a lot of new faces and this is their first official game — it'd behoove us to come out firing. I doubt we'll be able to overcome a bad 1st quarter like we did against Jacksonville.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:58 pm One story line that I think may have been alluded to by someone earlier is that this year the Jays are coming into the Georgetown game with a week of rest. Last year we played them two days after the Towson game. That alone won't make up an 8-goal deficit but it can't hurt to have fresher legs. The Jays were competitive for a half last year before the wheels fell off and my guess is at least part of that had to do with the quick turnaround (Georgetown was also the better team, so there's that too). This year GTown has a lot of new faces and this is their first official game — it'd behoove us to come out firing. I doubt we'll be able to overcome a bad 1st quarter like we did against Jacksonville.
I'm sure the new goalie for the Hoyas is quite good, but I figure he'll be a couple goals worse than McElroy. Add in normal rest for the Jays, the fact that this is G'Town's first actual game and that it's at Homewood, and it makes me feel like the Jays will keep it close enough to cover the 6.5 goal spread. Don't think they win, but don't think they get the doors blown off either.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:58 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:46 pm Quiet around here. Can't be having this thread fall off page 1. ;)

Don't think so. Ernie traveled with the team but it's rare to get one after a road game — especially when the host team doesn't even give you a locker room.

As for the quietness, the trolls tend to retreat back under their bridges whenever the team wins. They'll be back.

One story line that I think may have been alluded to by someone earlier is that this year the Jays are coming into the Georgetown game with a week of rest. Last year we played them two days after the Towson game. That alone won't make up an 8-goal deficit but it can't hurt to have fresher legs. The Jays were competitive for a half last year before the wheels fell off and my guess is at least part of that had to do with the quick turnaround (Georgetown was also the better team, so there's that too). This year GTown has a lot of new faces and this is their first official game — it'd behoove us to come out firing. I doubt we'll be able to overcome a bad 1st quarter like we did against Jacksonville.
Since you asked
-Mazzone was billed as an LSM coming into the season and started at close d. That's either a vote of confidence in kauffman, deans and young brown or raises questions about the close d depth/health
-0-2 on emo-you have to cash in
-only 1 man down and 1-1 in killing it, very solid especially considering the positive ct numbers. Aggressive defense not ending up in the penalty box.
-not sure why marcille didn't get b1g honors
-In one of Tierneys farewell interviews he talked about how hard it was to get schools to come visit. Having 2 acc schools visit midweek is a tribute to the work of the staffs keeping these games on the schedule. PM talked last year how he didn't like the midweek games for what they did to classwork but I guess his mind was changed.
-Going back to Galloway's comments about size Georgetown lists 7 players 6"2 or bigger, we have 19 including 9/10 regulars depending on health.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Szuluk is hurt - that's why mazzone is doing time at close.. also iirc the emo came in last quarter when Hopkins was justifiably milking clock

Further edit - if Ernie or someone from Hopkins is reading this - I am pretty sure the box score from the game in regards to EMOs and man downs is incorrect and reversed. Jacksonville was 0-2 - Hopkins was 0-1. The offsides was on Russell Melendez and NOT #31 for Jacksonville as reflected in the box score. So as far as having to "cash in" Hopkins had one 30 second opportunity - they were up by 6 goals - the shot clock gets reset to 60 - the game clock was under 10 minutes - so they traded 10% of the remaining game for probably not trying too hard to get a 30 second EMO opportunity. Very defensible.
dms87

Post by dms87 »

hopkins d was very good in 6 v 6, but thought a number of those are goals if marcille wasn't gobbling or deflecting some quality shots

I felt the same way. I assume Marcille is the surprise starter, based on what people thought with the transfer coming in? Perhaps, and I pray this is true, he can continue this play based on practice performance and earning the start. Multiple comments on the broadcast were made about him guessing low and Jax not altering their shooting accordingly. I did think he was overt. As a short guy, perhaps he just gets low more quickly? Did anyone attend the scrimmage v Denver and feel he was hedging low? He needs to continue to be a difference maker Sat. Go Hop!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”