NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: NESCAC

Post by pcowlax »

14-7 Tufts. A very good job by Union D. Midd impressive again, spanking Springfield 15-8, setting up the NESCAC game of the year (post Tufts-Amherst) this weekend.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:01 pm 14-7 Tufts. A very good job by Union D. Midd impressive again, spanking Springfield 15-8, setting up the NESCAC game of the year (post Tufts-Amherst) this weekend.
Kinda crazy that we’re at the point of saying 14 goals against is “a very good job”
SunocoCharlie

Post by SunocoCharlie »

Interesting result tonight for Conn 10-6 over WestConn. Western has had success but against a weak schedule. Conn won all statistical categories, but perhaps had a let down after an emotional win on Saturday. One might have expected that they would run with that and gain more confidence. If they gain consistency in the final month it will make seeds 4-8 pretty interesting down the stretch. Maybe even seeds 3-8.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:16 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:01 pm 14-7 Tufts. A very good job by Union D. Midd impressive again, spanking Springfield 15-8, setting up the NESCAC game of the year (post Tufts-Amherst) this weekend.
Kinda crazy that we’re at the point of saying 14 goals against is “a very good job”
It is but I’d say that we are.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

2 observations from tonight:

-Tufts defense pitching a shut out against Union in the second half is very well done by that group

-Coach Annino gets his first win of his tenure up at Bates. Congrats!
creasecone66

Post by creasecone66 »

Congratulations to Coach Annino getting a tally in the Win column vs a local Maine Maritime squad. If I may kick the whole “weak out-of-conference drubbing” ant hill, the stats show Bates took its last shot at 7:12 left in the 4th, at which point they were up 24-0.

Had an eye on the Bowdoin-Babson stream in the first half, surprised they were able to make it what appeared to be a close and exciting game. I’m not telling anyone anything we don’t already know, but that dude 6 Byrne is a player.

I’m taking Tufts to leave no doubt on Saturday with a +8 margin.
laxdad420420

Post by laxdad420420 »

Last edited by laxdad420420 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
laxdad420420

Post by laxdad420420 »

Last edited by laxdad420420 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

Tufts is the real deal. Union is tough at home. Will see how the LL shakes out with Union/RIT/StLarry
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

laxdad420420 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:20 am If I get one more message asking what the GROY is i’m going to lose it. Just say you know nothing about lax. There’s no more prestigious award except maybe the Tewaaraton and even then 18 of the last 19 Tewaaraton winners have also won the GROY in their respective conference so maybe it’s on par. Real shame
What is the GROY? I have no idea and it sounds as if others are also wondering.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Seriously, what is a GROY?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I’d imagine it’s something someone with 4 posts made up or else some sophomoric acronym to get attention.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

Considering their username has "420" in it I'll chalk it up to a troll account. Blaze responsibly, friends.
Nescac12001

Post by Nescac12001 »

What’re everyone’s thoughts on mid season nescac rankings at this point? We’ve seen some great games and some odd results here and there. Would love to hear everyone’s opinions
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Nescac12001 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:06 am What’re everyone’s thoughts on mid season nescac rankings at this point? We’ve seen some great games and some odd results here and there. Would love to hear everyone’s opinions
1. Tufts
2. Amherst
3. Middlebury
4. Bowdoin
5. Hamilton
6. Wesleyan
7. Williams
8. Conn
9. The others

I think Tufts beat Middlebury by more than 5 goals. Don't see how Middlebury is going to contain that offense. Last night proved that you could limit their attackman (Boyten and Braun) but they will still put up a fair amount of goals. Much deeper than any other team in division 3 lacrosse. The other advantage that they did not have against Union and Amherst is home field. Jumbos are 9-0 at the end of this weekend.
JaxsonGrey68

Post by JaxsonGrey68 »

The12lov3 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:14 am
Nescac12001 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:06 am What’re everyone’s thoughts on mid season nescac rankings at this point? We’ve seen some great games and some odd results here and there. Would love to hear everyone’s opinions
1. Tufts
2. Amherst
3. Middlebury
4. Bowdoin
5. Hamilton
6. Wesleyan
7. Williams
8. Conn
9. The others

I think Tufts beat Middlebury by more than 5 goals. Don't see how Middlebury is going to contain that offense. Last night proved that you could limit their attackman (Boyten and Braun) but they will still put up a fair amount of goals. Much deeper than any other team in division 3 lacrosse. The other advantage that they did not have against Union and Amherst is home field. Jumbos are 9-0 at the end of this weekend.
Depending on what happens this weekend you could make a case for switching 2 and 3 but you are probably correct, Amherst appears to be the next best team. I watched most of the first half of the Tufts game before heading out to a HS game, as predicted, Union defense was solid especially up top. They have some really good athletes playing defense. Tufts is really good and was surprised to see that they ended up locking down Union in the 2nd half. Tufts TO's would worry me once they get to the tourney and they have to go up against CNU, Salisbury, G'burg and the like.

Great to see Coach Annino getting win one, give him some time, there will be many more to come. Bates will be on the rise.

You would have to say that Wesleyan has been a bit of a disappointment so far, I know that they are 5-2 but their wins have come against the weaker teams on the schedule and the two losses were not close. Ample opportunity to redeem themselves against the tougher part of their schedule in the next coming weeks

Williams with a big game today v CNU, props for scheduling them, look forward to catching a little bit of it

Tufts Midd will be huge, as will Bowdoin Amherst, At the risk of getting too far ahead of ourselves, 2nd bid for the NCAA's could be on the line in both
games!

Last comment, you took the easy way out with "the others" at the bottom of your list, lol.
Dinah

Post by Dinah »

1. Tufts
2. Amherst
3. Middlebury
4. Bowdoin
5. Hamilton
6. Wesleyan
7. Williams
8. Conn
9. The others

FWIW Middlebury has held Tufts to 14 in their last two matchups. One of those was the 2019 NESCAC semis to be fair, so nearly entirely different rosters, but in that instance Tufts also had only 9 goals with 5 minutes left in the 4th (now that I'm saying it, crazy these two teams have only played once since then!). Middlebury's zone has, at times, frustrated a Tufts offense that wants to play fast and can get antsy waiting 40-50+ seconds into a possession for a quality look, leading to forced shots and turnovers. Last year, Middlebury had (and has largely returned) the athletes on offense to handle Tufts' defensive pressure and win one-on-one matchups, which gave them the 21-14 edge. I think it's more likely than not Tufts takes the matchup here (at least the regular season one ;) ), but not convinced it's for the reasons or by the margin you indicated.
beantown_lax879

Post by beantown_lax879 »

1. Tufts
2. Amherst
3. Middlebury
4. Bowdoin
5. Hamilton
6. Wesleyan
7. Williams
8. Conn
9. The others

It has to be acknowledged that Union was without Peter Burnes (returning 1st team All-American), who suffered an injury against Middlebury, and Mike Shaw, who was starting at lefty attack and had 5g2a in the huge win on Saturday against SLU and had been having a great season, was also out with an injury from the weekend.

Tufts came out in the second half and pressed hard against Union's shorthanded attack and U could barely transfer the ball around. Props to Tufts for capitalizing, but this was not a complete Union squad (for clarity, Burnes was hurt 3 minutes into the Middlebury game, so Midd did not really have to deal with him either).

I can't argue with the prediction that Tufts will move to 9-0. They are incredibly hard to beat at Bello. What drives me crazy is that we are now entering the annual phase of "Tufts is legitimately unstoppable", "They are the greatest team in the history of D3", "Gosh their coach wears cool shoes"...

Thus, I will give my annual reminder that, despite these comments being made near the end of March every year, they have not been to a championship game in the last 5 seasons (since the arrival of D'Annalfo), RIT made them look absolutely hapless last year, and hanging 30 goals in the first 5 games of the season does not get you any closer to a national title than a bunch of 1-goal wins.

Regarding Saturday -- yes, I think Tufts should be considered a 4 goal favorite, and yes, I think they will obviously get double digit goals. But Middlebury has not given up 10 goals in any game except their opener versus Bowdoin. That's all NESCAC opponents, plus Union, RPI, and Springfield. No Maine Maritime's there. Middlebury also handled Tufts last year.

We'll see what happens. Middlebury won't have the element of surprise they had last year, but I stand by this: If Tufts didn't pay 5x for social media coverage than any other team, they would not be the annual "March National Champion".
warriorslax17

Post by warriorslax17 »

Middlebury 16 Tufts 15. The Panthers have been close with or better than the Jumbos in the last few years and Tufts is due for a trap game.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Tufts 18 Middlebury 15....close with a few empty net goals at the end when doubling...

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”