The DOGS Thread

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: The DOGS thread is back.

Post by youthathletics »

:lol: :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Has anyone seen the movie Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? What breed of dog is Cliff Booth's "Brandy"? Is the dog big for the breed? Here are a couple of clips with Brandy from the film. Warning--if you are planning to see the film, the second clip has spoilers.

https://youtu.be/eMeyp_YWVv8
Bonus question: who is the blonde woman in the photo/painting on the wall?

This following clip is extremely loud and violent. Just a warning.

https://youtu.be/C-U5K71x5r4
DMac

Post by DMac »

One of my least favorite breed of dogs.
She's not particularly big for the breed,
there were three dogs used in the film.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+bree ... A1&PC=LCTS
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:27 am One of my least favorite breed of dogs.
She's not particularly big for the breed,
there were three dogs used in the film.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+bree ... A1&PC=LCTS
Thanks D. How come one of least favorite? I don’t have an opinion either way but I am interested in yours.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't like anything about them, got a head like an anvil and wide as Card B's asz, mouth like a hippo, and tongue like an okapi's on steroids, with a body like a tank. To say nothing of their tending to be a little on the mean and aggressive side (pit bull lovers will tell you what babies and lovers they are).
https://www.bing.com/search?q=pit+bulls ... A1&PC=LCTS
Okapi
Did you know, an okapi’s tongue measures between 14 and 18 inches long.
Lot of dog walkers at Onondaga Lake State Park, can see a huge variety of dogs there. I'll go there sometimes more to see the dogs than people and I'm that guy who will ask you if I can pet your dog and say hello to him/her. Never with a pit bull though, they're intimidating and uninviting looking dogs (to me). No thanks.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Anyone ever deal w an older dog who still has hearing sight but gets cranky and if napping will lash out and bite? My 14yr old Lhasa Apso will sometimes spring and bite a kid of ours. Small teeth but still don’t love it. She seems to be more like this last two years since our other Lhasa poo died.

Just something I have to manage or is There a Etsy like solution I could apply?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

doggies as dance partners:

pooches definitely steal the show 🐕
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Pooch and Princess in a singing duet:

Such cuteness.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Just a few pictures of Mr. Handsome, was a part of the Father's Day gathering and he gets a whole lot of my attention.
He'd chase that tennis ball a thousand times is not an exaggeration, and each time with a sense of urgency with undistracted focus and intensity. More simply put, the dog's nuts. Would post the hose-ball video if I knew how but this is all you get. Super fun dog.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

World War I service dog saves lives:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ce_Dog.JPG

A mercy dog (also known as an ambulance dog, Red Cross dog, or casualty dog) was a dog that served in a paramedical role in the military, most notably during World War I. They were often sent out after large battles, where they would seek out wounded soldiers; and trench warfare suited their use. They carried first-aid supplies that could then be used by wounded soldiers and comforted dying soldiers who were mortally wounded. They were also trained to guide combat medics to soldiers who required extensive care. Many mercy dogs were trained by national Red Cross societies to serve the country in which the specific society operated. The German army called such dogs medical dogs. As many as 20,000 dogs are estimated to have served as mercy dogs in World War I and World War II, and they have been credited with saving thousands of lives. They would later go on to be used in the Korean War by the United States.

from Wiki

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/dog ... estication

"Wiggles and wobbles and a powerful pull toward people — that’s what 8-week-old puppies are made of.

From an early age, dogs outpace wolves at engaging with and interpreting cues from humans, even if the dogs have had less exposure to people, researchers report online July 12 in Current Biology. The result suggests that domestication has reworked dogs’ brains to make the pooches innately drawn to people — and perhaps to intuit human gestures.

Compared with human-raised wolf pups, dog puppies that had limited exposure to people were still 30 times as likely to approach a strange human, and five times as likely to approach a familiar person. “I think that is by far the clearest result in the paper, and is powerful and meaningful,” says Clive Wynne, a canine behavioral scientist at Arizona State University in Tempe who was not involved in the study.

Wolf pups are naturally less entranced by people than dogs are. “When I walked into the [wolf] pen for the first time, they would all just run into the corner and hide,” says Hannah Salomons, an evolutionary anthropologist studying dog cognition at Duke University. Over time, Salomons says, most came to ignore her, “acting like I was a piece of furniture.”

But dogs can’t seem to resist humans’ allure (SN: 7/19/17). They respond much more readily to people, following where a person points, for example. That ability may seem simple, but it’s a skill even chimpanzees — humans’ close relatives — don’t show. Human babies don’t learn how to do it until near their first birthday. When wolves have been put to the task, the results have been mixed, suggesting that wolves need explicit training to learn the skill. Scientists haven’t been sure if dogs’ ability is learned or, after at least 14,000 years of domestication, has become innate (SN: 1/7/21).

The researchers then exposed both types of puppies to familiar and unfamiliar people and objects. Puppies’ memories were tested by hiding treats in their view. A cylinder with food inside — solvable only by going around to an open end, but tempting to gnaw on the middle —challenged puppies’ self-control. To observe puppies’ response to human gestures, researchers pointed at hidden treats or placed a small wooden block next to a hiding spot to draw the eye.

Wolves and dogs were evenly matched in memory and self-control, the researchers found. But in tasks involving human communication, dogs surpassed wolves. Dogs were twice as likely to follow a pointed finger or a wooden block as a clue. Dogs also made twice as much eye contact, meeting humans’ gaze in four-second bursts compared with wolf pups’ average of 1.47 seconds.

Dogs intuit human gestures from a young age, Salomons and colleagues conclude, lending support for the idea that domestication has wired dogs’ brains for communicating with humans. Dogs “are born with this readiness to understand that a person would be trying to communicate with them,” Salomons says. “Wolves didn’t have that tendency. It wouldn’t really occur to them that a person would be trying to help them.”

Domestication’s effects on dogs’ brains may be more emotional than cognitive, Wynne says. Though the researchers tested only wolves willing to approach people, “it doesn’t strike me as surprising” that dogs explore objects near humans more often, he says. “I think that is most likely to do with the fact that dogs are just generally happier getting close to a person.”

One thing is clear: Domestication has molded dogs into people-seeking missiles, drawn to humans from the start. The dog pen is all licks, wiggles and eye contact, Salomons says, nothing at all like a cage full of disinterested wolf pups.

To find out, Salomons and colleagues showered attention on wolf pups, while restricting dog puppies’ access to people. Days after birth, 37 wolves got round-the-clock human attention. Caregivers even slept amid a pile of wolf pups on outdoor mattresses. Meanwhile, 44 retriever puppies stayed with their mothers and littermates until they were 8 weeks old, with only brief visits from people."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Maestro Pooch sings in tune.

DMac

Post by DMac »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:20 am https://www.sciencenews.org/article/dog ... estication

"Wiggles and wobbles and a powerful pull toward people — that’s what 8-week-old puppies are made of.

From an early age, dogs outpace wolves at engaging with and interpreting cues from humans, even if the dogs have had less exposure to people, researchers report online July 12 in Current Biology. The result suggests that domestication has reworked dogs’ brains to make the pooches innately drawn to people — and perhaps to intuit human gestures.

Compared with human-raised wolf pups, dog puppies that had limited exposure to people were still 30 times as likely to approach a strange human, and five times as likely to approach a familiar person. “I think that is by far the clearest result in the paper, and is powerful and meaningful,” says Clive Wynne, a canine behavioral scientist at Arizona State University in Tempe who was not involved in the study.

Wolf pups are naturally less entranced by people than dogs are. “When I walked into the [wolf] pen for the first time, they would all just run into the corner and hide,” says Hannah Salomons, an evolutionary anthropologist studying dog cognition at Duke University. Over time, Salomons says, most came to ignore her, “acting like I was a piece of furniture.”

But dogs can’t seem to resist humans’ allure (SN: 7/19/17). They respond much more readily to people, following where a person points, for example. That ability may seem simple, but it’s a skill even chimpanzees — humans’ close relatives — don’t show. Human babies don’t learn how to do it until near their first birthday. When wolves have been put to the task, the results have been mixed, suggesting that wolves need explicit training to learn the skill. Scientists haven’t been sure if dogs’ ability is learned or, after at least 14,000 years of domestication, has become innate (SN: 1/7/21).

The researchers then exposed both types of puppies to familiar and unfamiliar people and objects. Puppies’ memories were tested by hiding treats in their view. A cylinder with food inside — solvable only by going around to an open end, but tempting to gnaw on the middle —challenged puppies’ self-control. To observe puppies’ response to human gestures, researchers pointed at hidden treats or placed a small wooden block next to a hiding spot to draw the eye.

Wolves and dogs were evenly matched in memory and self-control, the researchers found. But in tasks involving human communication, dogs surpassed wolves. Dogs were twice as likely to follow a pointed finger or a wooden block as a clue. Dogs also made twice as much eye contact, meeting humans’ gaze in four-second bursts compared with wolf pups’ average of 1.47 seconds.

Dogs intuit human gestures from a young age, Salomons and colleagues conclude, lending support for the idea that domestication has wired dogs’ brains for communicating with humans. Dogs “are born with this readiness to understand that a person would be trying to communicate with them,” Salomons says. “Wolves didn’t have that tendency. It wouldn’t really occur to them that a person would be trying to help them.”

Domestication’s effects on dogs’ brains may be more emotional than cognitive, Wynne says. Though the researchers tested only wolves willing to approach people, “it doesn’t strike me as surprising” that dogs explore objects near humans more often, he says. “I think that is most likely to do with the fact that dogs are just generally happier getting close to a person.”

One thing is clear: Domestication has molded dogs into people-seeking missiles, drawn to humans from the start. The dog pen is all licks, wiggles and eye contact, Salomons says, nothing at all like a cage full of disinterested wolf pups.

To find out, Salomons and colleagues showered attention on wolf pups, while restricting dog puppies’ access to people. Days after birth, 37 wolves got round-the-clock human attention. Caregivers even slept amid a pile of wolf pups on outdoor mattresses. Meanwhile, 44 retriever puppies stayed with their mothers and littermates until they were 8 weeks old, with only brief visits from people."
Missed all this. Have read other articles along these lines and dogs have definitely been bred to coexist alongside humans. Have said many times that the mutual instant love affair between humans and canines kind of blows me away....it's upon sight for the most part (not always of course), kinda like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S95iNHkEuX4
or this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdVYK4mB3lE
DMac

Post by DMac »

Everything you'd ever need to dog sit a black lab.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:29 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:15 pm Yellow is full American, Black is half American/half English
I'm bummed, Dr., all I get is the word image but I get no pictures when I click on. What do I have to do?
My guy was bummed too when I told him I was going to show him some pretty girls and then couldn't. ;)
Can you see them now?

DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes I can, thanks.
Beauties, love the diver. Doesn't get the height this guy gets but nice nonetheless.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:57 am Yes I can, thanks.
Beauties, love the diver. Doesn't get the height this guy gets but nice nonetheless.
WOW! That is one badazs photo!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Very cool indeed. He's going off the low board compared to this guy but nice leap nonetheless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT4X_2zKIyk
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:14 am Very cool indeed. He's going off the low board compared to this guy but nice leap nonetheless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT4X_2zKIyk
Pretty cool
DMac

Post by DMac »

This is just way too cool, black lab swims with the Gold Medal winner. Eye on the prize.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBmrs_oOzRs

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”