media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: media matters

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:53 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:49 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:54 am https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/wash ... people-off I have not been much of a Brokaw fan but he sure nailed what is wrong with the MSM today.
Cradle,
He uses the term, "current media", not Main Stream Media (MSM). Meaning including every piece of trash and propaganda, left and right, that comes through your facebook, Twitter, youtube, instagram, as well as TV. The dispersion has created great diversity, but a loss of expectation of journalistic ethics, and an emphasis on audience engagement rather than education.

"MSM" generally means (according to Fox hosts) the major news networks (except for Fox, certainly not OANN), the major newspapers (WAPO, NYT, WSJ, USAToday, etc but not the rags), a few magazines. What they really mean is those who still hold themselves out (reasonably) as actually having journalistic standards, yet are 'liberal' from the perspective of the hard right.

Brokaw, however, is talking about the full spectrum of "current media".

“I think the most extraordinarily powerful tool and the most destructive development in modern life is the current media,” said the author and TV Hall of Famer.

In an interview with Artful Living shared with Secrets, he criticized the dividing nature of media and questioned if it can change.

“Everybody has a voice — and I think it’s great for people to have a voice — but there’s no way to verify what’s true and what’s not. It has no context; it’s just a 24/7 rage about what’s pissing people off across the board from the left to the right,” he told the Minneapolis-based lifestyle magazine.

It's not 100% clear that he includes all media outlets as "24-7 rage", indeed he undoubtedly believes there are gradations of such. But I'd bet that he includes his own network, NBC, especially MSNBC, as one of the contributors. It's clear, to me, that he's not giving a pass to the "MSM" TV shows, especially the endless opinion shows.

Indeed, any reasonable perspective would agree that as cable created the opportunity for "24-7" the need to fill the time led to far less editorial restriction on what is aired and what is not. When you only had a half hour to do national news, you edited that down to the bare essential. In this 24-7 world, you're competing for those eyeballs with opinion and argumentation.
Yeah, he is not talking about the "MSM" at all. He's talking about the fractured, zero-barriers to entry "news" market, where everything is said and nothing can be confirmed -- where everything is "facts."
Not sure I'd agree that he's excluding the "opinion shows" on MSM stations.

"a 24/7 rage about what’s pissing people off across the board from the left to the right."

But he's sure as heck not focused on "MSM" as cradle suggests.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Partisan, divisive reportage more than pays the bills. This is Roger Ailes' invention. Everyone else is just a follower.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

MSNBC says last night's episode of @maddow, which featured an interview with Lev Parnas, brought in 4.5 million total viewers, the show's highest-rated episode ever.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
old salt

Post by old salt »

Trinity wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:26 pm MSNBC says last night's episode of @maddow, which featured an interview with Lev Parnas, brought in 4.5 million total viewers, the show's highest-rated episode ever.
I hope I get partial credit for hyping it here, in advance.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 pm
Trinity wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:26 pm MSNBC says last night's episode of @maddow, which featured an interview with Lev Parnas, brought in 4.5 million total viewers, the show's highest-rated episode ever.
I hope I get partial credit for hyping it here, in advance.
:D
It was indeed extremely compelling TV.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

I stay away from TV news media, but this might be worth everyones time, in my humble opinion:

https://itunes.apple.com/movie/mike-wal ... 1473541702

Mike Wallace is Here
Documentary
1 Hour 31 Minutes

An unflinching look at the legendary reporter, who interrogated the 20th century’s biggest figures in his over fifty years on air, and his aggressive reporting style and showmanship that redefined what America came to expect from broadcasters. Unearthing decades of never-before-seen footage from the 60 Minutes vault, the film explores what drove and plagued Wallace, whose storied career was entwined with the evolution of journalism itself.

Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDSq2fF9flk
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

CU88 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:40 am I stay away from TV news media, but this might be worth everyones time, in my humble opinion:

https://itunes.apple.com/movie/mike-wal ... 1473541702

Mike Wallace is Here
Documentary
1 Hour 31 Minutes

An unflinching look at the legendary reporter, who interrogated the 20th century’s biggest figures in his over fifty years on air, and his aggressive reporting style and showmanship that redefined what America came to expect from broadcasters. Unearthing decades of never-before-seen footage from the 60 Minutes vault, the film explores what drove and plagued Wallace, whose storied career was entwined with the evolution of journalism itself.

Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDSq2fF9flk
Thanks for sharing...I'm in.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Walt Disney Company announced today that it was renaming the media/film properties it recently acquired from Murdoch eliminating the FOX from both the film studio which will now be named 20th Century Studios and art house studio now to be called Searchlight Films rather than FoxSearchlight.
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:12 pm Walt Disney Company announced today that it was renaming the media/film properties it recently acquired from Murdoch eliminating the FOX from both the film studio which will now be named 20th Century Studios and art house studio now to be called Searchlight Films rather than FoxSearchlight.
Smart business decision. Forward looking companies will be the winners.

Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Were you with Trump?

Yes, but I was Wehrmacht.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cosmo, are you saying the Post’s management is spineless here?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Yes.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:33 pmYes.
Kobe bang one of your girlfriends or something?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

You must be a Lakers fan.

I just don’t celebrate creeps as heroes.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-brya ... confession
The woman had filed a separate civil suit against Bryant, and had agreed to dismissal of the sexual-assault charge against him provided the athlete issued the following apology to his accuser, which was read in court by Bryant’s attorney:

First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo. I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter. I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.

The accuser’s civil suit against Bryant was ultimately settled in March 2005, and terms of the settlement were undisclosed (the total amount civil juries in Colorado could award at the time was $2.5 million). And the accuser, it should be noted, came from a wealthy family.

The Daily Beast has reviewed the legal and court documents of the Kobe Bryant rape case, including testimony from the accuser, then 19, and Bryant, then 24, which shed some light on what may have happened that night...
So you probably liked Baghdadi’s original “even handed” obit in the NYT?
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:52 am
Cosmo, are you saying the Post’s management is spineless here?
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:52 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:33 pmYes.
Kobe bang one of your girlfriends or something?
Wow ! She's getting death threats. Makes me reconsider my NPR tote bag campaign.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Can’t dare challenge the pre-determined messaging of the WaPo editors. Truth be damned.
DMac

Post by DMac »

This was a dog schidt move by Felicia, shoving the daughter's/sisters face in it all, and their mother's as well.
Good timing, am sure the other families feel pretty much the same, Felicia is a classless yeast infection.
“Instead of protecting and supporting a reporter in the face of abuse, the Post placed her on administrative leave while newsroom leaders review whether she violated the social media policy. Felicia had to leave her home out of fear for her safety and has gotten insufficient guidance from the Post on how to protect herself,” the Guild said.
How is it the Post's responsibilty to provide you with sufficient guidance oh how to protect yourself from the backlash of a story you decided to tweet? Hope someone leaks some of the nude photos you sent to your BF.

Return to “POLITICS”