Hobart 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GeneralBart

Re: Hobart 2025

Post by GeneralBart »

BlaxFive lists John Harding, a middie from McQuaid Jesuit, as a Hobart commit. McQuaid won the A conference in Section 5 and is still playing in the NY tournament. BlaxFive shows Harding with 54 goals and 29 assists for this season.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GeneralBart wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:15 pm BlaxFive lists John Harding, a middie from McQuaid Jesuit, as a Hobart commit. McQuaid won the A conference in Section 5 and is still playing in the NY tournament. BlaxFive shows Harding with 54 goals and 29 assists for this season.
A friend tells me he’s football only actually.

http://gohobart.blogspot.com/2024/05/we ... i.html?m=1
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

GeneralBart wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:15 pm BlaxFive lists John Harding, a middie from McQuaid Jesuit, as a Hobart commit. McQuaid won the A conference in Section 5 and is still playing in the NY tournament. BlaxFive shows Harding with 54 goals and 29 assists for this season.
Harding is actually a football recruit (running back) and intends to play both football and lacrosse. So there won't be any athletic scholarship $$ involved. From what I've been told by a Section V lacrosse head coach, Harding is considered one of the best, if not the best lax player in section V this season. This coach is at another school btw. Hope he can handle the work load for both sports along with the academics. He plays attack. https://blaxfive.net/19_players/players ... ng|%20John McQuaid plays Section 6 champ Orchard Park for the Western NY region A title on 6/1
Hebrewhammer

Post by Hebrewhammer »

Took a few weeks off of posting for reflection. After the season I think this is important. But one thing cannot be overlooked any longer. Snellencheeseburger has been overlooked his whole life. He can put down a quarter pounder in less than 35 seconds, allegedly. However, for him to be effective in the 10 man ride (when the goalie comes out and helps to ride the other team) I strongly believe his rate of food consumption needs to increase ten fold. Additionally, I mentioned it before, but I FIRMLY believe that a vertical 2-2-2 zone with a spinning center (similar to limestone circa 2008) could be influential on the improvement of our defense moving forward. Hip Hobart,
Best,
HH
slumdogmillionaire

Post by slumdogmillionaire »

Heard the boys touched down in Athens, Greece yesterday. Looks like a blast. enjoy fellas. Anyone know who they're playing there? Are the kids in the portal with the team?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

slumdogmillionaire wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:18 am Heard the boys touched down in Athens, Greece yesterday. Looks like a blast. enjoy fellas. Anyone know who they're playing there? Are the kids in the portal with the team?
I would be very surprised if the guys in the portal made the trip. Can't imagine Raymond welcoming them. Then again, if he actually wants some of them to stay at Hobart, he could extend that olive branch. Though I doubt it would be offered to all in the portal.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

oldbartman wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 2:10 pm
slumdogmillionaire wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:18 am Heard the boys touched down in Athens, Greece yesterday. Looks like a blast. enjoy fellas. Anyone know who they're playing there? Are the kids in the portal with the team?
I would be very surprised if the guys in the portal made the trip. Can't imagine Raymond welcoming them. Then again, if he actually wants some of them to stay at Hobart, he could extend that olive branch. Though I doubt it would be offered to all in the portal.
No undergrad portal kids went - if you go to portal, there is no coming back unless you are considering a fifth year. I believe they are playing the Dutch or German national team. The trip was cut a little short - I heard that originally it was 12-13 days and now 6-7 days. So I would suspect 2-3 scrimmages/games. Great experience!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just keep em off the island of Corfu! We need them back healthy and not as unwed parents to kids who now have dual citizenship. That island in on for serious work.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbro19 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 6:12 am
oldbartman wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 2:10 pm
No undergrad portal kids went - if you go to portal, there is no coming back unless you are considering a fifth year. I believe they are playing the Dutch or German national team. The trip was cut a little short - I heard that originally it was 12-13 days and now 6-7 days. So I would suspect 2-3 scrimmages/games. Great experience!
There’s like 5 football starters who entered the portal and coming back are you saying that’s a hard policy of Raymond’s because I can’t believe the admin would stand for that. Or would they never know given the last 25yrs. This is an admissions, attrition, graduation rate and money issue at the institutional level if Raymond doesn’t get that and his mgt of chips and resources suggests he doesn’t understand it one bit, this is the bigger problem I have is he can’t manage a program and way out over his head when it comes to everything beyond pulling a kid into campus and running him ragged or yanking him.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I would believe that any coach, if the player can help the team, would welcome them back. It would be up to the returning player to mesh back into the team...we've been told the team was a very close, tight-knit group. Although, I think it's an understatement to say Raymond seems stubborn..
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 10:18 am I would believe that any coach, if the player can help the team, would welcome them back. It would be up to the returning player to mesh back into the team...we've been told the team was a very close, tight-knit group. Although, I think it's an understatement to say Raymond seems stubborn..
To punish someone for exploring an option every college kid has is insane. Flat out. Just dumb and poor management to the nth degree.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:35 pm
FMUBart wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 10:18 am I would believe that any coach, if the player can help the team, would welcome them back. It would be up to the returning player to mesh back into the team...we've been told the team was a very close, tight-knit group. Although, I think it's an understatement to say Raymond seems stubborn..
To punish someone for exploring an option every college kid has is insane. Flat out. Just dumb and poor management to the nth degree.
I dont know what the school or admin thinks but I can assure you that Hobart (Raymond) will not consider someone coming back after entering the portal. Maybe there might be an exception for someone like Patterson but I kind of can see his point - if you allow kids to test the portal, the risk would be lots do then come back and messes with the team dynamic. I know from talking to at least 2 kids who entered that the message was clear, you declare for portal, you dont come back. I have never seen Raymond be the kind of person who says something that then backs off. Especially because he hates the portal in general. if you dont want to be at Hobart, then move on has been the general rule since 2013.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbro19 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:20 pm
I dont know what the school or admin thinks but I can assure you that Hobart (Raymond) will not consider someone coming back after entering the portal. Maybe there might be an exception for someone like Patterson but I kind of can see his point - if you allow kids to test the portal, the risk would be lots do then come back and messes with the team dynamic. I know from talking to at least 2 kids who entered that the message was clear, you declare for portal, you dont come back. I have never seen Raymond be the kind of person who says something that then backs off. Especially because he hates the portal in general. if you dont want to be at Hobart, then move on has been the general rule since 2013.
That’s a die on the hill position I take that it’s piss poor ego driven nonsense and bad management of a program if true. Just the worst. And ignores his job as an employee of a school in the middle of a capital campaign wheee your a damn employee of the colleges not just an idiot coach. He thinks it’s a rejection of Hobart but not inwardly reflecting on his own involvement in these kids choices? That’s moronic. I’m starting to wonder if Petro was running the UNC academic sports program at Hop when he was there. It also ignores the two hundred years of alums who might disagree as if he’s more important than the intuition or program and that’s delusional. His record and performance in a greatly watered down SOS is no better than Kerwick or BJ.

I honestly think we’d be better off having Coach Cragg comes out of retirement and coach lacrosse. People, like hundreds over his tenure, would take a bullet for him til the day they die because he was that good to his kids even when they left. Urick started out coaching football, maybe it would be a good bridge to a better solution actually.

It’s not a Hobart/institution position bc starters on the FB team who entered the portal are definitely coming back. I have other support to say that’s a coaching level choice if accurate.

Again, if true, short sighted arrogant and petty. You appear to be very close but also on my side of perspectives so I have to “trust but verify” stuff like this.

I won’t give a dedicated nickel to lacrosse if that’s his position..
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:43 pm
That’s a die on the hill position I take that it’s piss poor ego driven nonsense and bad management of a program if true. Just the worst. And ignores his job as an employee of a school in the middle of a capital campaign wheee your a damn employee of the colleges not just an idiot coach. He thinks it’s a rejection of Hobart but not inwardly reflecting on his own involvement in these kids choices? That’s moronic. I’m starting to wonder if Petro was running the UNC academic sports program at Hop when he was there. It also ignores the two hundred years of alums who might disagree as if he’s more important than the intuition or program and that’s delusional. His record and performance in a greatly watered down SOS is no better than Kerwick or BJ.

I honestly think we’d be better off having Coach Cragg comes out of retirement and coach lacrosse. People, like hundreds over his tenure, would take a bullet for him til the day they die because he was that good to his kids even when they left. Urick started out coaching football, maybe it would be a good bridge to a better solution actually.

It’s not a Hobart/institution position bc starters on the FB team who entered the portal are definitely coming back. I have other support to say that’s a coaching level choice if accurate.

Again, if true, short sighted arrogant and petty. You appear to be very close but also on my side of perspectives so I have to “trust but verify” stuff like this.

Great question for Ted to ask on the podcast - how does he think about the portal now in 2025? Did he change his mind around using it? How does he view a player that wants to test it but then returns? Practically speaking, I would think it would depend on the player and a player coming back after a portal test would definitely have some questions to answer. And I dont think the players themselves would hold grudges like one might think. There is a risk that a player tries once and will try again. And also a message of once you hit portal, you are not welcome back is a threat that could prevent some players from testing the market. But you are correct, this is an ego thing, nothing more. Because if you have a player like Patterson who wants to test then wants to come back, why would you not better the team for it — but that is not what reality is in Geneva.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

One additional thought - I think we have to be practical around the dynamic here. Coaches are ex athletes and super competitive. They have never learned the traditional work rules and culture of being in a business where sometimes an employee wants to try their career in another company. But if they are amazing and want to come back after a year, would you take them back? But in coaching, specifically sports like lacrosse, you have coaches not far removed from high school, living around kids not far removed from high school. So the maturity is many times not there and couple that with ego, and it’s a bad recipe. We can write off this year as just being a rough year, some bad matches on the recruiting side, blame the portal etc but that many kids hitting the portal signals an inherent problem of some sort. And it could be actually one of the above issues but also could be something else. The team is tight and overall disciplined, so I dont think we are failing there, I suspect it’s the culture that needs tweaked to ensure we are not about 1 or 2 people. And I have a decision as well responding to the $400M letter
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbro19 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:18 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:43 pm

Great question for Ted to ask on the podcast - how does he think about the portal now in 2025? Did he change his mind around using it? How does he view a player that wants to test it but then returns? Practically speaking, I would think it would depend on the player and a player coming back after a portal test would definitely have some questions to answer. And I dont think the players themselves would hold grudges like one might think. There is a risk that a player tries once and will try again. And also a message of once you hit portal, you are not welcome back is a threat that could prevent some players from testing the market. But you are correct, this is an ego thing, nothing more. Because if you have a player like Patterson who wants to test then wants to come back, why would you not better the team for it — but that is not what reality is in Geneva.
I think Ted does a good job trying to hold coaches accountable while staying positive. Personally I love the guy as I’ve watched him “evolve” into Hobart guy since he came in/over from his public radio gig around the formation of the Liberty league. Not sure some HCs including this one respect stakeholders enough to give a straight answer but I bet Ted will see this and asking the coaches how they feel about a kid testing his life option in the portal than returning is an excellent question to pose.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbro19 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:27 am One additional thought - I think we have to be practical around the dynamic here. Coaches are ex athletes and super competitive. They have never learned the traditional work rules and culture of being in a business where sometimes an employee wants to try their career in another company. But if they are amazing and want to come back after a year, would you take them back? But in coaching, specifically sports like lacrosse, you have coaches not far removed from high school, living around kids not far removed from high school. So the maturity is many times not there and couple that with ego, and it’s a bad recipe. We can write off this year as just being a rough year, some bad matches on the recruiting side, blame the portal etc but that many kids hitting the portal signals an inherent problem of some sort. And it could be actually one of the above issues but also could be something else. The team is tight and overall disciplined, so I dont think we are failing there, I suspect it’s the culture that needs tweaked to ensure we are not about 1 or 2 people. And I have a decision as well responding to the $400M letter
I worked at a German bank out of b school and our head credit prop trader left for RBS realized it wasn’t the right fit and was back inside 3mo which seemed crazy. We all blew everything up in the crisis anyways but he added a lot of value for a number of years to our bank after that.

We are supposed to be modeling men in college right? Or is that some silly anachronistic legacy thinking on my part?

Also, I’m fairly positive Raymond interviewed w Princeton a few years back (certain) and got a raise firm hws. I say next time anyone interviews at HWD they get fired. (I’d include Jacobsen in there too for quitting at her job and getting tenure as a prof anyways-she wasn’t removed of her duties she quit on us)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Or at least give back the raise he got then given performance since 20 really has been all downhill.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

It's still relatively early in the transfer portal opening, just wondering about the Hobart guys and whether they're getting any interest(from D1 schools)?
brodad

Post by brodad »

Rhine to Richmond

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”