Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:12 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:00 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:42 am
FMUBart wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:53 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:19 am
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:56 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:43 pm gymman's long national nightmare is over. Navy has an OC

This also confirms that the High Point HC job is indeed open. Curious the caliber of candidate they're attracting. Someone implied earlier that it may be better than expected. Relatively low-pressure gig, good weather, winnable conference. There certainly are worse jobs
Maybe Lenoir-Rhyne coach Greg Paradine? He has done a great job in that state at the DII level.
He’s done a great job at Lenoir Rhyne. It isn’t easy to win there. I will say though, his tenure at UNC was incredibly underwhelming. A fairly toxic era for that program; under achieving, party/drug culture was rampant, etc. Haus had such a great run during that tenure at his alma mater that he was fired and shipped off to Siberia (Lebanon Valley College in D3 and has been there since). I don’t know. I would just have a lot of questions about culture, etc. That era at UNC was the complete antithesis of the culture Torpey created at High Point. The returning players at HPU likely have high standards for what they want for their program (obviously they don’t hire the new coach, but just thinking aloud here).
Umm what??! I guess what Paradine has accomplished at L-R is a non-sequitur? :roll:
Keep in mind TWs tenure after running things at a similar level at Limestone. Great recruiter couldn’t keep control granted he had a poisonous and treacherous assistant backdooring him but that seems to be a general characteristic of a lot of the top D2 coaches-great recruiter and super nice guys but too loose and generally not the best Xs and Os guys?
Too loose, maybe?
Generally not good Xs and Os guys is not fair. There are a number of super talented coaches at that level. Some of which have successfully coached in all 3 divisions.
Seems to be a general characteristic of a lot would leave room for “a number of super talented coaches at that level” though wouldn’t it?

How do you feel about Sheehan and Morgan? TW was not an Xs and Os guy hit a good guy. He was closer to a Kerwick than I think folks want to admit around Geneva. Do you object to the idea that D2 plenty of D2 coaches with success fit the description above though? They aren’t mutually exclusive. But there’s a difference with D1 on that it seems was my point where a Kerwick or others could easily be be named. I recall you coaches at Presby so you should both have better info AND probably your own biases as well.

How about the d3 guys like a Stagnitta or Nelson or Daly?
Happy to report I never coached at Presbyterian😂 but I have spent time in all 3 divisions and my experience lends to me this. The D2 and D3 guys are required to be more creative; in a number of different areas, not just X’s and O’s. Finding ways to make their total budget of 30 grand work, finding ways to recruit kids from non traditional areas because the prep school kids have never heard of you/their club coaches would never allow you to contact them. Finding ways to play different offenses and defenses year to year because personnel changes happen more frequently at the D2/D3 level. Retention is a bigger challenge at those levels.

Take someone like Daly as you mentioned. The Brown folks crushed him because he was apparently horrible with X’s and O’s. Was that really because he couldn’t draw up a play? Was is it really because his experience prior had been at D3? Personally, I think both of those hot takes were wrong. They were just easy narratives to assign to his failure there.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:51 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:43 pm gymman's long national nightmare is over. Navy has an OC

This also confirms that the High Point HC job is indeed open. Curious the caliber of candidate they're attracting. Someone implied earlier that it may be better than expected. Relatively low-pressure gig, good weather, winnable conference. There certainly are worse jobs
Maybe Lenoir-Rhyne coach Greg Paradine? He has done a great job in that state at the DII level.
He’s done a great job at Lenoir Rhyne. It isn’t easy to win there. I will say though, his tenure at UNC was incredibly underwhelming. A fairly toxic era for that program; under achieving, party/drug culture was rampant, etc. Haus had such a great run during that tenure at his alma mater that he was fired and shipped off to Siberia (Lebanon Valley College in D3 and has been there since). I don’t know. I would just have a lot of questions about culture, etc. That era at UNC was the complete antithesis of the culture Torpey created at High Point. The returning players at HPU likely have high standards for what they want for their program (obviously they don’t hire the new coach, but just thinking aloud here).
Umm what??! I guess what Paradine has accomplished at L-R is a non-sequitur? :roll:
Keep in mind TWs tenure after running things at a similar level at Limestone. Great recruiter couldn’t keep control granted he had a poisonous and treacherous assistant backdooring him but that seems to be a general characteristic of a lot of the top D2 coaches-great recruiter and super nice guys but too loose and generally not the best Xs and Os guys?
Too loose, maybe?
Generally not good Xs and Os guys is not fair. There are a number of super talented coaches at that level. Some of which have successfully coached in all 3 divisions.
Seems to be a general characteristic of a lot would leave room for “a number of super talented coaches at that level” though wouldn’t it?

How do you feel about Sheehan and Morgan? TW was not an Xs and Os guy hit a good guy. He was closer to a Kerwick than I think folks want to admit around Geneva. Do you object to the idea that D2 plenty of D2 coaches with success fit the description above though? They aren’t mutually exclusive. But there’s a difference with D1 on that it seems was my point where a Kerwick or others could easily be be named. I recall you coaches at Presby so you should both have better info AND probably your own biases as well.

Happy to report I never coached at Presbyterian😂 but I have spent time in all 3 divisions and my experience lends to me this. The D2 and D3 guys are required to be more creative; in a number of different areas, not just X’s and O’s. Finding ways to make their total budget of 30 grand work, finding ways to recruit kids from non traditional areas because the prep school kids have never heard of you/their club coaches would never allow you to contact them. Finding ways to play different offenses and defenses year to year because personnel changes happen more frequently at the D2/D3 level. Retention is a bigger challenge at those levels.

Take someone like Daly as you mentioned. The Brown folks crushed him because he was apparently horrible with X’s and O’s. Was that really because he couldn’t draw up a play? Was is it really because his experience prior had been at D3? Personally, I think both of those hot takes were wrong. They were just easy narratives to assign to his failure there.
Did the Brown folks really "crush Daly" or did his record speak for itself?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Brownlax wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:09 pm

Too loose, maybe?

Did the Brown folks really "crush Daly" or did his record speak for itself?
Both. They are not mutually exclusive.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Archbishop Spalding (Md.) & @annapolishawks’ Sean Cottle will be joining @LoyolaMLAX’s staff this summer.

He replaces Ryan McNulty, who had been the Director of Ops since graduating as a Greyhound.

https://x.com/terencefoy/status/1799468 ... EO2hFStaxg
Laxforever

Post by Laxforever »

Reading the above posts about D2 coaches not know X’s and O’s Is a bold statement. Starting, they don’t get to pick the cream of the crop of recruits, need to full their roster with who they can get. They work without the facilities and support staff that the D1 coaches have and less coaching staff. Many have had to start new programs from scratch, all freshmen 1st season, then been very competitive fast. Which was the last D1 team to start from scratch. I feel that they are at least a half dozen D2 coaches capable of coaching D1 and being very successful but never given the changes because of the old guard saying they don’t know X’s and O’s and never played in D1. These are the coaches who have to change game plans on the fly, meet different teams each year, bus trips for miles and keep all they players positive and producing both as athletes and young men. Not the sweet deal that many D1 coaches have
Laxnation

Post by Laxnation »

Apparently, Daly was qualified to be a head coach, but is not qualified to be an offense or defense coordinator. He knew so little about Lacrosse that he didn’t realize how bad his offensive coordinator was.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Too loose, maybe?

Hot take? “Seeming” and “not mutually exclusive” ought to suggest it’s a comment posited for discussion not petty defensiveness .

How do you think Hobart has had to operate in d1 being denied scholarships until the ncaa was irrelevant two years ago? I watched Matt Kerwick win two PL titles and an at large after BK Ohara got an at large two years prior to his leaving and we had Dave Urick who recruited athletes and taught them the game. So I’ve watched something similar for a long time don’t you think? The coach after Kerwick gave up and went not back to D2 where he rocked but to HS.

Again tell me about coons, Sheehan, even Morgan who is now doing whatever…haus. Bill dirrgl (though Loyola actually extended him before bouncing him). Scott Nelson.

Look I was suggesting it is something to discuss and then folks get whiny and defensive. Conversely I have a different opinion of Eric Wolf which I’ve expressed. Nits not a hot take it’s a comment for discussion and people complain out. T getting stupider by the day.

We’ve got five FR including multiple starters and a sendup in the portal and the most valuable one just walked to another conference member. I think I get it given my perspective.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxforever wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:52 pm Reading the above posts about D2 coaches not know X’s and O’s Is a bold statement. Starting, they don’t get to pick the cream of the crop of recruits, need to full their roster with who they can get. They work without the facilities and support staff that the D1 coaches have and less coaching staff. Many have had to start new programs from scratch, all freshmen 1st season, then been very competitive fast. Which was the last D1 team to start from scratch. I feel that they are at least a half dozen D2 coaches capable of coaching D1 and being very successful but never given the changes because of the old guard saying they don’t know X’s and O’s and never played in D1. These are the coaches who have to change game plans on the fly, meet different teams each year, bus trips for miles and keep all they players positive and producing both as athletes and young men. Not the sweet deal that many D1 coaches have
All fine points I was hypothesizing given the actual results we have vs speculation and projection. We know they haven’t killed it thus far and we see how Hobart was forced to run like a d3 program in D1 for 30yrs now after dominating d3 z. Watch some whiny sals fan come running now to log
Bombs my way but the record is what it is. But keep in mind I’ve lived through BJ Ohara and Kerwick plus TW johnson.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:17 pm

Too loose, maybe?

Hot take? “Seeming” and “not mutually exclusive” ought to suggest it’s a comment posited for discussion not petty defensiveness .

How do you think Hobart has had to operate in d1 being denied scholarships until the ncaa was irrelevant two years ago? I watched Matt Kerwick win two PL titles and an at large after BK Ohara got an at large two years prior to his leaving and we had Dave Urick who recruited athletes and taught them the game. So I’ve watched something similar for a long time don’t you think? The coach after Kerwick gave up and went not back to D2 where he rocked but to HS.

Again tell me about coons, Sheehan, even Morgan who is now doing whatever…haus. Bill dirrgl (though Loyola actually extended him before bouncing him). Scott Nelson.

Look I was suggesting it is something to discuss and then folks get whiny and defensive. Conversely I have a different opinion of Eric Wolf which I’ve expressed. Nits not a hot take it’s a comment for discussion and people complain out. T getting stupider by the day.

We’ve got five FR including multiple starters and a sendup in the portal and the most valuable one just walked to another conference member. I think I get it given my perspective.
I have to frank, I don’t even know what the hell we are talking about at this point. So, I will conclude my participation in this issue by wishing your Statesmen all the best. Cheers.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

I don’t understand what is taking High Point so long in this search
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

It’s typically that no one the school wants actually wants the job.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:01 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:17 pm

Too loose, maybe?

I have to frank, I don’t even know what the hell we are talking about at this point. So, I will conclude my participation in this issue by wishing your Statesmen all the best. Cheers.
It ran its course I have tons of respect for D2 and 3 across the bird but just think that coaches can get away with letting the ball out more tithe than D1 and have more success in verbal with that approach. That’s what I was wondering by a lot of these examples. Maybe it’s just generic dudes who were tight with an overly closed door community 10-25yrs ago and whack self selection and biases that got us here instead of my hypothesis but it turned into something where it seems like people take it coronal. Just to engage in real discussion n not whatever most of this has turned into which is like “your mom and let me neurotic my way to explaining why I’m right it’s all about your mom@
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Late Slide wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:12 pm It’s typically that no one the school wants actually wants the job.
Maybe the rumors of great talent being considered was part of the Quiben marketing machine
stevemc

Post by stevemc »

Daly steps down at Brown on 4/30 and Torpey is named 5/21. That’s three weeks. This coming Tuesday would be three weeks. Hope we hear something this week.
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

My sense is that schools tend to name head coaches fairly quick. Not sure of the typical timeline. Not sure what's going on at High Point and Merrimack. These are the only 2 D1 HC openings, correct?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Late Slide wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:36 am My sense is that schools tend to name head coaches fairly quick. Not sure of the typical timeline. Not sure what's going on at High Point and Merrimack. These are the only 2 D1 HC openings, correct?
UDM is still open.

But I've heard former Assistant/Alum Charlie Hayes will probably end up with it. UDM flew out 4 coaches for an interview. Two D2 coaches and Two D3 coaches. Both D2's turned it down, and 1 D3 turned it down. 2nd D3 didnt get it.

$60k a year, little support from school, and have to fundraise over $100k a year for traveling. Sounds like a D2/3 program playing D1.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:22 am
Late Slide wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:36 am My sense is that schools tend to name head coaches fairly quick. Not sure of the typical timeline. Not sure what's going on at High Point and Merrimack. These are the only 2 D1 HC openings, correct?
UDM is still open.

But I've heard former Assistant/Alum Charlie Hayes will probably end up with it. UDM flew out 4 coaches for an interview. Two D2 coaches and Two D3 coaches. Both D2's turned it down, and 1 D3 turned it down. 2nd D3 didnt get it.

$60k a year, little support from school, and have to fundraise over $100k a year for traveling. Sounds like a D2/3 program playing D1.
$60,000 a year for a job that requires that much work, travel, off hours communication with recruits, etc. is bat turd crazy. That is an incredibly disrespectful salary for that job in a normal economy, let alone today’s inflated economy.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

JerrysWorld wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:51 pm I don’t understand what is taking High Point so long in this search
According to Terry Foy per his podcast HPU will be having finalists on campus this week

On another forum list three finalists include 2 Assistants from Big Ten/ACC and another candidate is a current HC from a non Big Ten/ACC. There maybe others
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:50 pm
JerrysWorld wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:51 pm I don’t understand what is taking High Point so long in this search
According to Terry Foy per his podcast HPU will be having finalists on campus this week

On another forum list three finalists include 2 Assistants from Big Ten/ACC and another candidate is a current HC from a non Big Ten/ACC. There maybe others
I've heard that High Point did the typical southern thing, took their time and dragged their feet. Broschart was a top finalist, but HPU wasn't giving him a direct yes or no answer. He also knew other applicants were coming on campus... Navy wanted an answer immediately so he jumped on the Navy OC job.

Potentially could've been his gig. But, sounds like HPU isn't in any rush. Even though the summers are primetime recruiting months.

Heard 3 names but not 100% sure how accurate but sort of fits the other forums hints... Bernhardt, Crawley, and Wojcik.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:04 pm
AreaLax wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:50 pm

I've heard that High Point did the typical southern thing, took their time and dragged their feet. Broschart was a top finalist, but HPU wasn't giving him a direct yes or no answer. He also knew other applicants were coming on campus... Navy wanted an answer immediately so he jumped on the Navy OC job.

Potentially could've been his gig. But, sounds like HPU isn't in any rush. Even though the summers are primetime recruiting months.

Heard 3 names but not 100% sure how accurate but sort of fits the other forums hints... Bernhardt, Crawley, and Wojcik.
Interesting of the 3 you have and the 3 I have heard of only one crosses with yours

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”