Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

Post by bearlaxfan »

I don't think I'm misstating when I say optimism was growing about recruiting success among the guys here who really follow Dartmouth, so dumping the whole coaching staff, endangering the guys in the pipeline just when the program seemed to be getting its nose above water is pretty ballsy. Or stupid.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

By my count, 14 D1 teams have played full seasons and improved from 2021 to 2022 to 2023. They are:

Army Utah JHU AF Manhattan Villanova Michigan Marist Siena MSM Lafayette SHU VMI

Each have their own reasons, some had nowhere to go but up but at least they did go up, and of course all wins are not equal. Often search teams look at upcoming programs as coaching candidate pools. Will be interesting to see if these schools lose anyone.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:30 am By my count, 14 D1 teams have played full seasons and improved from 2021 to 2022 to 2023. They are:

Army Utah JHU AF Manhattan Villanova Michigan Marist Siena MSM Lafayette SHU VMI

Each have their own reasons, some had nowhere to go but up but at least they did go up, and of course all wins are not equal. Often search teams look at upcoming programs as coaching candidate pools. Will be interesting to see if these schools lose anyone.
Don’t see the assistants from their programs making major moves other than Army & Mich. Not much need discussing the last six for assistants the supply/demand balance means the pool of candidates is too large. I thought Myashita would do something at Canisius but not so much and not worth evaluating improvements in NEC to MAAC schools that was expected.

Air Force I don’t know. And really while it’s 5yrs ago you kind of have to look at the programs then to a degree.

Myers is a bit of a stepper so I could see him doing the Cassesse-interviewing for everything that hands an open sign on the door.

McMinn could one day build Utah into something much bigger IMO.

Corrado isn’t going anywhere.

No need to discuss Hops coaches - that’s what every loss covers on their thread.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Interesting that there will be two open offensive coordinator positions in the ACC. Will be if they go after any of the same top assistants
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pretty interesting metzbower news happens in mid-june. dangles for more than a minute after the breschi extension and they're already into the summer recruiting season? i guess whoever they get has been out recruiting anyway.

so after the old guard, you go young, no? throw in that the coach probably needs to rent rather than buy up front.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Other interesting is that the UNC HC only has a 3 year contact. So if I am a top OC do I go after the UNC OC position knowing the staff has a 3 year window to make improvements
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Justin Tuma (High Point) is the new assistant at OSU.
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Now there are 2 big time spots for Simon Conor to put his name in the mix, UNC & UVA, both would be step ups from working on the main line, and he can take his Delbarton pipe line with him to the ACC, change is good
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:20 pm Mount Saint Mary now open:

https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 36034?s=20
Hoping Raymond could give Tom a spot to help the staff for a year and get his son to transfer in as well.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:20 pm Mount Saint Mary now open:

https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 36034?s=20
Best wishes to Coach Gravante and his son.

Any chance Coach Pietramala is a candidate for this job?

Does Petro really want to spend any more time in the barren apocalyptic environs of Syracuse? ;)

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Very sad day at Mount St. Mary’s! Coach Gravante loved his program. Wondering if their late season fall was the last straw for him.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

BU set to hire former Georgetown volunteer Jack Rowlett as defensive coordinator, multiple sources tell @Inside_Lacrosse.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:56 pm Very sad day at Mount St. Mary’s! Coach Gravante loved his program. Wondering if their late season fall was the last straw for him.
hard place to recruit. middle of nowhere, small campus, tough conference, but tons of talent in the surrounding areas from which to pull in the DMV. 18 years is a solid run. I coached a kid that was a top attackman there who loved it, and it was a perfect fit for him. Even with Giblan running the defense and connections throughout they just couldn’t break through.

I think they made the best of it….even their hoops team had some solid runs with DMV players.

Going to be much the same moving forward if I had to put money of it.

Maybe he thought it was time time?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:18 pm Maybe he thought it was time time?
Doesn't sound like this was his decision
lilax

Post by lilax »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:19 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:18 pm Maybe he thought it was time time?
Very odd timing. Mount just hired a new AD on Monday according to their website. I doubt he would have fired a coach after one meeting.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:18 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:56 pm Very sad day at Mount St. Mary’s! Coach Gravante loved his program. Wondering if their late season fall was the last straw for him.
hard place to recruit. middle of nowhere, small campus, tough conference, but tons of talent in the surrounding areas from which to pull in the DMV. 18 years is a solid run. I coached a kid that was a top attackman there who loved it, and it was a perfect fit for him. Even with Giblan running the defense and connections throughout they just couldn’t break through.

I think they made the best of it….even their hoops team had some solid runs with DMV players.

Going to be much the same moving forward if I had to put money of it.

Maybe he thought it was time time?
They went 7-2 in conference this year. Playoff game wasn't great but that wasn't the issue.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Who are the top candidates for this job?

If this was the new ADs decision my guess is that he is taking his current HC with him.

If it’s the current ADs call or input

They are looking to go the classic Mount root(hire alumni) their options are really limited.

Joe Connor(Former Dartmouth AC, former Mount Assistant and player)
TC Dibartolo Current McDaniel HC, former Mount Assistant and player)

This is a very bizarre situation especially with Gravantes son in the portal
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:52 pm
Who are the top candidates for this job?

If this was the new ADs decision my guess is that he is taking his current HC with him.

If it’s the current ADs call or input

They are looking to go the classic Mount root(hire alumni) their options are really limited.

Joe Connor(Former Dartmouth AC, former Mount Assistant and player)
TC Dibartolo Current McDaniel HC, former Mount Assistant and player)

This is a very bizarre situation especially with Gravantes son in the portal
Presume when talking “classic Mount” you are referring to other sports since he had been there nearly 30yrs (since 1995).
Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

With Sean Kirwan taking the Dartmouth job who is the next group of assistants to be considered?

Duke, ND seem to be a year or two away from coaching changes. One just won the National Championship the other competed for it, would they both promote from within?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”