Centennial Conference 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MDlacrosse45

Re: Centennial Conference 2023

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

Gettysburg in my opinion has to be the favorite of the Centennial teams to make the most noise in the NCAA tournament. They seem like the most complete team. I know their specialty positions have not been great but all it takes is them to have an average day in goal and at the X and they will be very tough to beat. Dickinson has a lot of offensive fire power, I am surprised more teams have not run zone against them given their early season struggles. If a team throws a good zone at them come NCAA tournament time and they could be in trouble. Their midfield is a matchup nightmare against man to man defense. And of course their goalie has the capability of stealing them a few tournament games.

Who are some candidates for the Haverford job? Would imagine they are going to want to make a hire fairly quickly.
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

Tough to say so early who some top candidates would be. Would have to think either D1 assistant or mid-level D3 head coaches would be prime candidates.
WashedUp06

Post by WashedUp06 »

Great game in Allentown last night - both goalies played well but the F&M keeper made some great saves that in the end was the true difference in the game.

Certainly a game of runs and quality defense and tough to see either team have to lose this one, but in the end the senior heavy Mules just couldn't close it out and have now lost back to back years in OT in the CC playoffs (has to be heartbreaking for those guys).

#40 for F&M really showed he is one of the top players in the conference only as a freshman with some great shooting early to stop the Mules momentum.

Also, the F&M ride stood out in the 2nd half, they were flying around and caused back to back 20 second violations for a very consistent clearing team in the Mules. Appeared they really amped up the intensity.

Best of luck to the Dips on Friday v Dickinson, if they play as hard as they did in this one then Friday could be closer than some may expect.
secondarybreak

Post by secondarybreak »

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:59 pm Tough to say so early who some top candidates would be. Would have to think either D1 assistant or mid-level D3 head coaches would be prime candidates.
Will be very interesting. The roster is still very young. They battled through some tough injuries this year. Losing a couple talented seniors.
CurrierWasSnubbed

Post by CurrierWasSnubbed »

Roster is super talented. Two proven attackmen returning. Pretty much the whole defense returning too. I expect a very strong defense and also a lot of Genos (preferably low to high). My guess is Abraham will be Defensive Player of the Year. All they need is a HUNGRY coach who really wants to be at the school. These kids are sick of coaches lying to them (i.e. past 2 coaches said it was their "dream job" and left relatively soon after).
laxdad4394

Post by laxdad4394 »

Could've sworn the bullets would get revenge on Swarthmore. Will Dickinson roll Swarthmore over again? Do the Garnet stand any chance? Also, what does this do for Swarthmore/Gettysburg's at large bid chances?
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

laxdad4394 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:20 pm Could've sworn the bullets would get revenge on Swarthmore. Will Dickinson roll Swarthmore over again? Do the Garnet stand any chance? Also, what does this do for Swarthmore/Gettysburg's at large bid chances?
The regular season match up was absolutely taken over by Brandau--one of the best performances from a D3 keeper I've ever seen. I think it will definitely be closer, would probably set the line at Dickinson -2.5.

Gettysburg is the one of the three that did not need a CC playoff win to be a lock; all three will get bids.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

A couple NCAA first round predictions to get the weekend going.

Gettysburg vs Scranton- This may sound crazy but this could be one of the first round upsets. Gettysburg over the last month has been very hot or cold. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. All this talent and they are still giving up double digit goals(5/6 games). Scranton comes in able to score goals but the question will be can they handle Gettysburg size and speed. Scranton isn't particularly impressive at the face-off dot. Which is a big advantage for Gettysburg who I would consider avg. The Bullets are just to talented to let this early post season slip up occur. Gettysburg 17-11

Swarthmore vs Grove City- Swat comes in to what I believe is their first NCAA tournament appearance with a bit of a chip on its shoulder. Swarthmore is balanced all over the field with a very good offense and a solid defense. Grove City ran through their conference and has played a very impressive out of conference schedule. Im picking Swarthmore to win their pod(upset W&L) in the second game so give me Swarthmore 15-9

Dickinson vs John Carroll- My prediction for this....pain...... Red Devils 22-8

Day 2
Gettysburg vs CNU(probably) CNU 14-11
Swarthmore vs W&L(probably)- Swarthmore 12-11
Dickinson vs winner of Stevens vs Kenyon(your guess is as good as mine) Dickinson 18-7
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:40 am A couple NCAA first round predictions to get the weekend going.

Gettysburg vs Scranton- This may sound crazy but this could be one of the first round upsets. Gettysburg over the last month has been very hot or cold. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. All this talent and they are still giving up double digit goals(5/6 games). Scranton comes in able to score goals but the question will be can they handle Gettysburg size and speed. Scranton isn't particularly impressive at the face-off dot. Which is a big advantage for Gettysburg who I would consider avg. The Bullets are just to talented to let this early post season slip up occur. Gettysburg 17-11

Swarthmore vs Grove City- Swat comes in to what I believe is their first NCAA tournament appearance with a bit of a chip on its shoulder. Swarthmore is balanced all over the field with a very good offense and a solid defense. Grove City ran through their conference and has played a very impressive out of conference schedule. Im picking Swarthmore to win their pod(upset W&L) in the second game so give me Swarthmore 15-9

Dickinson vs John Carroll- My prediction for this....pain...... Red Devils 22-8

Day 2
Gettysburg vs CNU(probably) CNU 14-11
Swarthmore vs W&L(probably)- Swarthmore 12-11
Dickinson vs winner of Stevens vs Kenyon(your guess is as good as mine) Dickinson 18-7
Spot on analysis!
Gettysburg could be in the championship or lose to Scranton...like you have been saying, saves and faceoffs determine their fate.
Dickinson playing great lacrosse.... much better then at the Mustang in March...Championship potential?
Swarthmore would not be surprised to see them win a few and make the elite 8 then they are playing with house money.
Let the games begin
JJBoys

Post by JJBoys »

I think all three win the first round pretty easily. Swats inexperience could hurt them going into later rounds and Getty has to many holes to make a long run. Dickinson is clicking and has the most complete team of the three. I have watched all three play multiple times this season. I hope all three make the conference look good!!!
SpartanLaxFanatic

Quick Weekend Day 1 Recap for the CC

Dickinson is for real. I expect them to take care of business against Stevens tomorrow. This team is playing their best ball right now and is a legit Final 4 threat. McKee and Brandau's play will be the deciding factor if they get there.

Gburg down 10-5 at half. Story of the season so far for the bullets. More talented team aside from face-offs and goalie play. 2 saves in the first half and getting outclassed 13 to 4 at the X. Impossible to win games like that, let's see if the second half tells a different tale.

Swarthmore with a pretty embarrassing loss if we are being blunt. Phenomenal season that will have a sour taste after losing to Dickinson and Grove City. Feels like we saw the Garnet play up and down all year long and it came back to bite them today. They return almost everything, will be interesting to see if they can take another step forward in 2024.
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:08 pm Quick Weekend Day 1 Recap for the CC

Dickinson is for real. I expect them to take care of business against Stevens tomorrow. This team is playing their best ball right now and is a legit Final 4 threat. McKee and Brandau's play will be the deciding factor if they get there.

Gburg down 10-5 at half. Story of the season so far for the bullets. More talented team aside from face-offs and goalie play. 2 saves in the first half and getting outclassed 13 to 4 at the X. Impossible to win games like that, let's see if the second half tells a different tale.

Swarthmore with a pretty embarrassing loss if we are being blunt. Phenomenal season that will have a sour taste after losing to Dickinson and Grove City. Feels like we saw the Garnet play up and down all year long and it came back to bite them today. They return almost everything, will be interesting to see if they can take another step forward in 2024.
Gettysburg is a more talented team than CNU? That's a heck of a take.
SpartanLaxFanatic

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:22 pm
SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:08 pm Quick Weekend Day 1 Recap for the CC

Take away Goalie and FOGO and Yes, I'd say that the Gburg probably has a slight talent advantage. Don't think it's that crazy of a take. Not trying to dismiss that CNU is phenomenal at the X and solid in goal, but these areas have been a struggle all year for them regardless of opponent.
aroundtheoutside

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:40 pm

Take away Goalie and FOGO and Yes, I'd say that the Gburg probably has a slight talent advantage. Don't think it's that crazy of a take. Not trying to dismiss that CNU is phenomenal at the X and solid in goal, but these areas have been a struggle all year for them regardless of opponent.
Does Gettysburg have a defenseman that's better than Ryan Young? Or a middie that's better than Cook or Auslander? Or an SSDM that's better than Pozin? Or one attackman better than Brendes or Jackson?

CNU also has an objectively better record this year. Gettysburg is a good team, and may even come back and snatch an upset in this game. But to call them a more talented team is the definition of a reach. Especially because if they do win this game...it will be regarded by everyone as an upset.
SpartanLaxFanatic

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:49 pm

Does Gettysburg have a defenseman that's better than Ryan Young? Or a middie that's better than Cook or Auslander? Or an SSDM that's better than Pozin? Or one attackman better than Brendes or Jackson?

CNU also has an objectively better record this year. Gettysburg is a good team, and may even come back and snatch an upset in this game. But to call them a more talented team is the definition of a reach. Especially because if they do win this game...it will be regarded by everyone as an upset.
Yes to all those questions outside of Cook who is probably a top 3 midfielder in D3 - but I would say the Bullets have more scoring depth out of the midfield. If you watched both teams play this year then you would know that. CNU is a great team, so are the Bullets. CNU has a massive edge at the X and in net, that's the difference so far is all I was saying.
aroundtheoutside

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:56 pm

Yes to all those questions outside of Cook who is probably a top 3 midfielder in D3 - but I would say the Bullets have more scoring depth out of the midfield. If you watched both teams play this year then you would know that. CNU is a great team, so are the Bullets. CNU has a massive edge at the X and in net, that's the difference so far is all I was saying.
I have watched both teams play this year. Gettysburg has two losses to Swarthmore, who just lost to GROVE CITY, and two other losses. CNU has two losses to Salisbury. Not at all the same thing.
MDlacrosse45

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

Gettysburgs goalie is the biggest different in the game. Can’t win if you literally can’t make a save. Losing the Faceoffs doesn’t help. But one goalie is making saves the other is now
aroundtheoutside

MDlacrosse45 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:20 pm Gettysburgs goalie is the biggest different in the game. Can’t win if you literally can’t make a save. Losing the Faceoffs doesn’t help. But one goalie is making saves the other is now
Hanway is one of the best GK's in the country. There's definitely a disparity there. I just think Spartan's comments insinuating that Gettysburg is the better team except at GK, FO, and one middie, are disrespectful to a CNU team that has clearly been better all year and just dominated them the entire game.
formerwclaxer

Post by formerwclaxer »

Swarthmore...Holly cow. Looking at Grove's out of conference results it seems they got seriously trashed whenever they played a solid opponent. I expected so much more from Swarth.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:56 pm

#1, #22, #28, #47 for CNU are better then anybody on Gettysburg, it's not even close. CNU's entire D is better. If not for the rain delay they would have hung 20 on them.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”