Hobart 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2019

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 am I re-agree.
I’ve watched more NEC front row games the past couple years, than just about any other conference.
I’d say every weekend now, I catch at least part of an NEC game.
Next time you watch a bart game check out #5, Stanny Gilbertson (https://hwsathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp ... &path=mlax) our SoCal guy and also a Canadian FR #31, Jason Knox (https://hwsathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp ... &path=mlax) you'll like them both I suspect.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 am I re-agree.
I’ve watched more NEC front row games the past couple years, than just about any other conference.
I’d say every weekend now, I catch at least part of an NEC game.
NEC Front Row is solid service. Given HWS lost its feed late in the game and had no audio on it at all last wkd, hopefully they can help the Communications dept do a better job delivering video feed coverage of Bart home games.

It’s hard to believe this is still an issue after all these years. The school has resources and a media program now to make these problems a thing of the past.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

It is hard to wait 7 full days between games, though definitely worth it if it gets everyone back to full health. Hope Sam Mueller is back.
In terms of last night's games, SHU spanked Binghamton. Binghamton is having a terrible year. Hard to believe we started out slow against them too! If we could combine our start against SU with our finish against Canisius, we'd be in great shape.
Supposed to be 65 with showers on Saturday.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Farfromgeneva sent me this earlier. Interesting preview on Saturday's game.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... luca/54305
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Thanks for sharing that. No mystery to their strategy: lock down our offense. Let's see how we come out. If we come out hard and fast, we can explode that strategy. If we come out slowly, it will be a grind. Mangan seems like a nice kid; he's pretty humble. And he's right that there are some similarities in the two teams. He basically told our guys to keep their form, not to hang their sticks, not to be over confident if they get a step on him. Good wing play on the face-offs will really help us out.
Last forecast I saw has showers ending in the morning and upper 60s by game time. Sounds like a good day.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

People talk about DePretoro but Mangan has been their best player last two years - 17pts, 52gbs, 19ctos as a short stick. I’m biased in that I like our guys better but they’re version of a cross between a dog like Sean Murphy and Matt smalley. Offensive skills probably closer to the latter but FB skills like smalley. We can’t let him neutralize our FO advantage from the wing. This will be the biggest wing challenge since Cornell.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Both of those guys were kind of punks today. Good composure by Statesmen after some cheap shots. Solid win. Been waiting for a game like that all season. Defense got out GBd but otherwise showed up. Nice way for SRs to go out and it’s looking good to host the tourney. One more to go.
kmartin

Post by kmartin »

Nice game, particularly man to man D and Ljucchesi was strong. Good job even without Mueller there. Not a ton of good looks given up.

Pedecine came through with two big faceoff wins in the fourth. Tip of the cap to him on Senior Day.

MSM did a nice job on GBs and caused turnovers. Most of them were when Hobart was really pressing the cage and guys trying to make plays which you can’t fault too much at this time of year. Got to make plays.

And nice for Aslanian to go off. Congratulations to our 13 Seniors. Great group.

RoMo dropped 20 on Bryant today which is not easy. Usually it’s a crazy shootout with them. Let’s get it done.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Best game this team has played all season. Thank you to all the seniors for your hard work and dedication to this program. Good to see Aslanian playing like that.. The defense had an excellent day. RoMo crushed Bryant who really had nothing t play for except pride.Win and we host the tournament. We will need a repeat of today's performance for the rest of the season. Need to win the GB wars and give Pedecine a little better support. A shout out to Bryan Hancock who showed real toughness today after a really cheap shot by MSM's DiPretoro, coming back in and playing tough D. It was a lot of little things today that lead to the win. Knox getting a key GB out of the crease after MSM's goalie made a save are the kind of plays that help get the W. Next week will be a shootout. Great job Statesmen!
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Really nice defensive play. How many times did MSM spend their shot clock?
Our offense looked good, but Coach G managed the clock well to stop us as we were about to pile on. And much as I hate to say it, it was probably a good day to play keep away at the end. The composure shows a maturing team.
Good day at the Boz, and lots of alumni there (esp. last year's seniors). Perfect send off. RoMo put 20 up on Bryant, but Bryant put 16 on RoMo. We may find that the D is in position to win this next one. Really hoping to see Mueller back out there. Sam seemed to be seeing everything that wasn't screened.
Agree with the shoutouts to the seniors, esp. Pedicine, who had a great run at one point, and Aslanian, who really stepped up. But another shout out to Archer ... a sophomore with 5 assists today. Great unselfish play. Also, Knox was cutting up the inside and looked really good. Holden made our 2nd or 3rd goal unassisted in a diving shot that swung the momentum early. He is so key for the energy of the team.
MSM goalie took some hard shots. A couple right off of the face mask.
Hope they get some well deserved rest in prep. for next week.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Great game at the Boz yesterday. A solid win against a good, hard hitting "with attitude" MSM team that we will likely play again. The Hobart Defense played with concentration and discipline and Sam is peaking in goal at the right time. The Offense was too much for MSM in the end and I love to watch their skills, but equally important , they really hustled yesterday. Raymond was passionate on the sidelines and kept the lead against a team I would not want to play catchup with. Thanks to all the Seniors for getting us to first place( with the tie-breaker), now go out and hold serve with a win against ROMO and we'll see you back at the Boz !
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Rankings don't matter, but still nice to be 20 with Quint.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

“Fish throwers”

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ason/54322

Congrats to CA on a well deserved NEC OPOTW award (even though he was basically ignored for national recognition by other pubs):

https://northeastconference.org/news/20 ... =mlacrosse
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

FL-GO wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:36 am “Fish throwers”

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ason/54322

Congrats to CA on a well deserved NEC OPOTW award (even though he was basically ignored for national recognition by other pubs):

https://northeastconference.org/news/20 ... =mlacrosse
Quint's "fish throwers" comment is just another example of his disdain for our program. If we do go on and win the NEC tournament, I'm sure he'll moan about us somehow.
Jimmy2Times

Post by Jimmy2Times »

Great game on Saturday, loved the intensity from start to finish. Hopefully with the regular season title and hosting the tourney on the line they will come out with the same fight this week in Moon Township.

In terms of Quints comments, "Fish Throwers" I do not necessarily read that as an insult but simply a reference to an act that used to happen with some frequency back in the day. Regardless, does not matter what he thinks, all that matters is taking it to Bobby Mo.

FMU Bart
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Jimmy2Times wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:33 pm In terms of Quints comments, "Fish Throwers" I do not necessarily read that as an insult but simply a reference to an act that used to happen with some frequency back in the day.
I agree that I don't read this as an insult either... he refers to almost every team by some name like this. WEWANTMORE, for example.

I'm rooting for Hobart in the NEC tournament! I really want to see this team on the big stage again. :D
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

He’s just lazy in his job. Anyone who pays attention knows we swapped eggs for fish. Needed more omega acids and less cholesterol/fat in our diets now that we switched from grass to turf and water down the 2mo uncut field anymore to beat teams into the mud.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

I love the label... it is said in Geneva that those that cannot play lacrosse well enough to make the Hobart team throw fish at the opposition( Lake Trout capital of the World!) in support and in sort of a "right of Spring".......unfortunately, the current students feel this invades the safe space of the opposition and shows disrespect for the fish...this uncharacteristic ,youthful thoughtfulness is how traditions die!....but I ,for one , am a proud "fish thrower" and stand with my historic fellow throwers...as smelly as they may be :lol:
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Haven't seen fish on the field since 2005 (doesn't mean it hasn't happened). But I remember that one well: http://dailyorange.com/2005/03/fish-out ... st-hobart/

I don't think RoMo is an easy task. They are a rising team. But I think we are still rising from the SU thumping and the SJU debacle ... if this team has what I think it has, those two games were what was needed for a gut check. If we can beat RoMo convincingly, then it is a good sign that we are peaking at the right time. (I have to begrudgingly admit that getting his team to peak at the right time is one of Desko's best skills).

I also don't think the NEC tournament will be easy. It is always hard to beat a team twice in a season and with the exception of Wagner, nothing in the NEC has been easy for us. That's why the MSM game was good to see. But I'll sweat every minute of it when we face them again (or when we face SHU).

Is it pre-set who the AQ from the NEC plays?
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:06 pm Is it pre-set who the AQ from the NEC plays?
It's based on geography/"integrity of the bracket"

Depending on who the AQ from the NEC is and how the bracket works out, that could mean playing against a high seed (2/3/4) or playing in the dreaded play-in game. However, if it is Hobart, I think they will avoid the play-in game.

In my last bracket projection, I had Hobart @ #2 Maryland, for example.

The last projection from CollegeCrosse was while MSM was still leading the conference, and they had MSM @ #2 Duke. That should give you an idea of how it might shape up for the NEC AQ.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”