Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Abr2016

Re: Navy 2023

Post by Abr2016 »

If you want to make a change, fine. The manner in which it was done makes me sick. Wait til Monday, decompress, and then go through with it if that’s what you think is best.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Abr2016 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:31 pm If you want to make a change, fine. The manner in which it was done makes me sick. Wait til Monday, decompress, and then go through with it if that’s what you think is best.
I do not know the character of the AD, but my guess is someone above him was pissed with the lost and told him get in done now.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

It happens when you are losing, see Meade, Sowell, Pemper, and now Ken. Need to pick a lane, and each coach had plenty of years to make corrections.

When you take the time to 'really' think about all that is going on and ignore the noise, the AD is really protecting Navy from going to place it really does not want to be. Major SA sports competing for title shots is a rarity over the past 2+ decades. At some point you have to slow the bleeding before you have to cut off the extremity. By firing losing coaches, it breaths an optimism into the fan base, the players, different recruiting avenues, & new staff with new ideas.

Yes, in the end people like Ken and Richie did it the right way, most everyone loved them b/c they where the extended family for MIDS athletes under their watch....but, and of course there is always a but, the W/L numbers mattered far more in the combat arena.

Another overlooked aspect of SA sports, is Assistant Coaches often use this place as a spring board. As I noted in an earlier post, if you where on the mens lax team in the past 8+ years, you never had the same O-Coordinator while you where on the team; frustrating to many.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:59 am It happens when you are losing, see Meade, Sowell, Pemper, and now Ken. Need to pick a lane, and each coach had plenty of years to make corrections.

When you take the time to 'really' think about all that is going on and ignore the noise, the AD is really protecting Navy from going to place it really does not want to be. Major SA sports competing for title shots is a rarity over the past 2+ decades. At some point you have to slow the bleeding before you have to cut off the extremity. By firing losing coaches, it breaths an optimism into the fan base, the players, different recruiting avenues, & new staff with new ideas.

Yes, in the end people like Ken and Richie did it the right way, most everyone loved them b/c they where the extended family for MIDS athletes under their watch....but, and of course there is always a but, the W/L numbers mattered far more in the combat arena.

Another overlooked aspect of SA sports, is Assistant Coaches often use this place as a spring board. As I noted in an earlier post, if you where on the mens lax team in the past 8+ years, you never had the same O-Coordinator while you where on the team; frustrating to many.
Good points all. The major difference is that RM was not given as much time as KN was to right the ship.
The player & recruit losses RM endured due to injuries & Naps drop outs was not unlike what KN had to cope with due to Covid, but KN was given another year to turn it around.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

lorin wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:31 am
Abr2016 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:31 pm If you want to make a change, fine. The manner in which it was done makes me sick. Wait til Monday, decompress, and then go through with it if that’s what you think is best.
I do not know the character of the AD, but my guess is someone above him was ticked with the lost and told him get in done now.
The way Gladchuk handled this most RECENT coaching situation is rather consistent with this job history.
Last edited by NovaLax17 on Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

It was obvious after he tried to fire Jasper behind Kenny’s back what their relationship was like. The way they fired him was terrible, especially for Navy.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Navy fans. Obviously, people weren't happy with how both Richie Meade's and Coach Ken's endings in Annapolis were dealt with. That said:

1. When Richie left, was it time for a coaching-change, or should they have given him another year?
1. Should Ken have been given another year?
old salt

Post by old salt »

imo -- Richie deserved, at minimum, another year. MLax is not the flagship, high revenue generating sport that FB is. There were other factors at play, such as employment status (USNA tenured prof vs NAAA contractor) for lax coaches & camp revenue sharing.

After '20 & '21, this may have been KN's "another year" going into the season. After the Ivin Jasper firing then retention, I would not have been surprised if Ken had been fired after the dreadful showing in the '22 season opening loss to FCS Del, with Brain Newberry appointed interim HC then. For 3 consecutive seasons, the Navy FB team has not been ready to start the season. Covid could be blamed for '20 & '21, but not '22.

I would have been ok giving KN another year. Considering the '23 sched & volume of experienced players returning, I think a winning record, N* & bowl bid are likely. In that case, KN stays on & we risk losing Brian Newberry to another job. If we now lose Newberry anyway, I don't think it was worth not letting KN stay on for the final year of his contract, since he reportedly told the AD he'd retire if he posted another losing season in '23.

If you want to continue the lax analogy, I equate Brian Newberry to John Tillman, in terms of retention & promotion to HC. I never thought I'd see a Navy FB D play as well as they did in '21 & '22, with a bunch of underclassmen, several key portal transfer losses, no "turnback" injury redshirts a la USAFA, & against a killer sched. Newberry's that good, which is why P-5 schools reportedly want him as DC. Of course, JT was long gone by the time Asst Prof RM was relieved of his coaching duties.

if we retain Newberry (as HC or long term DC), it was worth it, although it could have been done more humanely, imo.
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

It is Newberry.
https://navysports.com/news/2022/12/19/ ... coach.aspx

He was the Defensive coordinator before promotion. I do note that the Midshipmen pass coverage over many years has been abysmal. Every QB that plays against Navy is an MVP candidate after running up the passing yards during the game...
I wonder how many applications for the Head Coach position were received?

:?
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

For conversation, from American Military News:

"Fans of the U.S. Naval Academy are circulating a petition to remove Naval Academy Athletic Director Chet Gladchuk for abruptly firing Navy football Head Coach Ken Niumatalolo after the Army-Navy game.

Gladchuk allegedly fired Niumatalolo in the locker room immediately after the Navy team’s 20-17 loss to Army at the 123rd Army-Navy game on Saturday.

This week, Navy fan Zachary Wiltold started a Change.org petition called 'Fire Chet Gladchuk' with a goal of garnering 1,500 signatures. As of Wednesday afternoon, the petition had already garnered more than 1,000 signatures.
The petition states:

The handling of the firing of Coach Ken Niumatalolo by the Naval Academy Athletic Association has been unanimously received by fans, donors, alumni, former players and former staff as unequivocally inappropriate and not in keeping with the long standing traditions of the storied Naval Academy Football program.

It was not in the best interest of the program, the players, or that of the Academy as an institution , and was a culminating mishandling in a series of outlandish, inappropriate and uncalled for decisions that have been made by the association’s director, Chet Gladchuk. This petition calls to the immediate removal of Mr. Gladchuk as the Naval Academy’s Athletic Director, an immediate investigative audit to be conducted into the NAAA’s proceedings, and most importantly, the immediate reinstatement of Ken Niumatalolo as the Head Coach of the Naval Academy Football Program."
(Ryan Morgan, American Military News, Nov. 14, 2022).

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2022/1 ... was-fired/
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Navy is #19 for preseason rankings. Thoughts?
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:22 pm Navy is #19 for preseason rankings. Thoughts?
I like the ranking -- I think it recognizes that this is a Navy team that should be reckoned with but does not put an outsized target on them. Navy has a lot going for it: (a) two very special players in Bonitz and Skalniak to anchor the D and the midfield; (b) a stable back four on defense with a proven goalie (save % above 50%) and three starting close defense all returning; (c) a really formidable first midfield; (d) an "X factor" matchup-nightmare guy in Xavier Arline if he and the FB coaches are still okay with him playing lacrosse (I don't think Navy would have beaten Army without him); (e) some strong returning performers on the rope unit; and (f) what looks to be a nice infusion of first-year talent coming in, with four Inside Lacrosse top-100 rated newcomers across the positions (A, D, LSM, M).

On the challenging side, Navy may struggle to win 50% of its faceoffs and it would be good if another gunslinger (maybe Mac Haley? saw him play in the DMV -- he's good) emerges on the attack. Would love to see this team contend for the Patriot League title, get an NCAA bid and see if they can get hot at the right time. Go Navy!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:32 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:22 pm Navy is #19 for preseason rankings. Thoughts?
I like the ranking -- I think it recognizes that this is a Navy team that should be reckoned with but does not put an outsized target on them. Navy has a lot going for it: (a) two very special players in Bonitz and Skalniak to anchor the D and the midfield; (b) a stable back four on defense with a proven goalie (save % above 50%) and three starting close defense all returning; (c) a really formidable first midfield; (d) an "X factor" matchup-nightmare guy in Xavier Arline if he and the FB coaches are still okay with him playing lacrosse (I don't think Navy would have beaten Army without him); (e) some strong returning performers on the rope unit; and (f) what looks to be a nice infusion of first-year talent coming in, with four Inside Lacrosse top-100 rated newcomers across the positions (A, D, LSM, M).

On the challenging side, Navy may struggle to win 50% of its faceoffs and it would be good if another gunslinger (maybe Mac Haley? saw him play in the DMV -- he's good) emerges on the attack. Would love to see this team contend for the Patriot League title, get an NCAA bid and see if they can get hot at the right time. Go Navy!
Well said Orfling.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Appreciate getting the thread back to lacrosse. From a few weeks ago. This should get them moving in the right direction and flirting with the 10-13 spot.
youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:34 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:21 pm First stab at some chatter.....

2023 SCHEDULE
Sat., Jan 28 vs Virginia (Scrimmage)
W (13-8) Fri., Feb 3 vs Mount St. Marys
W (15-7) Sun., Feb 5 vs Queens College
W (14-7) Sat., Feb 11 at Hofstra
W (12-9) Sat., Feb 18 vs Manhattan
L (13-10) Sat., Feb 25 at High Point
L (10-9) Sat., Mar 4 vs Lehigh
W (9-8) Sat., Mar 11 at Colgate
W (8-7) Fri., Mar 17 vs Johns Hopkins :D
L (14-9)Tue., Mar 21 at Villanova
W (12-7) Sat., Mar 25 at Holy Cross
L (16-9) Sat., Apr 1 vs Boston University
W (9-8) Fri., Apr 7 at Loyola
W (12-10) Sat., Apr 15 vs Lafayette
W (11-10) Sat., Apr 22 vs Army
W (12-7) Fri., Apr 28 at Bucknell
Tue., May 2 at Patriot League Quarterfinals
Fri., May 5 at Patriot League Semifinals
Sun., May 7 at Patriot League Championship

11-4 heading into PL Qtrs. What say you?
Anyone want to take a stab it.....winner closest to the actual record entering PL Playoffs gets a signed lacrosse ball.
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Nice one, youth! I'll go out on a limb and say 12-3 for the regular season (as compared to yours, I have them winning against High Point and Villanova but losing against Loyola). Small caveat: If I were betting the house on this I'd say 11-4 (I think you're most likely right that High Point wins a squeaker over the Mids) but it would be too boring to bet the same record as you! Biggest X factor for me is that a team Navy "should beat" rolls them on faceoffs and wins off the discrepancy in possessions (although I think Navy's D can generate plenty of saves and takeaways for the most part).

W Mount St. Mary's
W Queens
W Hofstra
W Manhattan
W High Point
L Lehigh
W Colgate
W Johns Hopkins
W Villanova
W Holy Cross
L Boston University
L Loyola
W Lafayette
W Army
W Bucknell
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

If, like me, you are going crazy waiting for the 2023 season to begin, I encourage you to click on the biographies of Navy's first-years -- hats off to a truly impressive job by the Navy Sports information department. (Stacie Michaud, the sports information director for lacrosse, got a well-deserved shout-out from both Joe Amplo and Quint Kessenich on Quint's podcast.)

The most interesting thing to me (and apologies -- somebody else likely already mentioned it here -- it rings a faint bell but it didn't stick with me) is that the grandson of Colonel John W. Ripley ("Ripley at the Bridge"), Race Ripley, is on the team. The bio for incoming class of '26 goalie Dan Daly says he's currently ranked first in Military Order of Merit (he was the 2022 Honor Graduate at NAPS as well) which is impressive. There's also a direct entry, Jackson Roberts, whose dad is the legendary Navy Head Swimming Coach, Bill Roberts.

I was looking at the roster because of my semi-obsession with the NAPS vs. Direct Entry question. Looks like out of 18 first year players, 11 are direct entry, 7 come via NAPS. Out of the 11 direct entries, 3 were on the Inside Lacrosse Power 100 Freshmen group -- I like the fact that they aren't being exposed to poaching the same as they would be if they were at NAPS this year. (To explain: anybody can be poached at NAPS. But the Inside Lacrosse Top 100 list guys are more likely to stay on coaches' speed dials than somebody who wasn't necessarily as heavily recruited out of high school.). It also seemed that players coming from DMV area private schools like Landon and Georgetown Prep, where they are almost certainly getting advanced math/science/writing, are coming into Navy as direct entries. In sum, I like that it appears to be more of a case-by-case determination and it's not an automatic "everybody goes to NAPS" presumption.
Last edited by The Orfling on Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Hop @ Navy on St. Patrick's Day Night!? Hoping for a monster crowd!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Super interesting appearance of Coach Amplo on Quint Kessenich's podcast: https://anchor.fm/lax-all-stars/episode ... se-e1t5214

It really comes through that Quint does his homework and was very familiar with Navy's strengths and also the question marks. There was not much discussion of the defense or midfield (obvious strengths) -- mostly the questions were about attack and faceoffs. There's a chunk from about 5:30 to 11:15 minute mark on Team USA, but the rest is about Navy. A few nuggets:
  • Lots of love from Quint, shared by Amplo, for Skalniak; Amplo also spoke in glowing terms about the rest of the first midfield;
  • Amplo said that Xavier Arline is "all in on lacrosse" in terms of his desire to play and will be at this Sunday's meeting and this Monday's practice "with his lacrosse stick." Amplo had some kind words for Coach Ken. He said Coach Newberry is on board with Xavier participating in lacrosse, but that there's a reality that he's the starting QB and there's a new offensive coordinator. The indirect implication seemed to be that as the spring football approaches -- late March to late April -- Arline will need to give his practice time to football, not lacrosse. Amplo said Arline is still learning the college lacrosse game, has enormous talent but doesn't fully know the game or where he can be on the field to make the most impact, and the lack of practice time hurts his development, but his talent means they will absolutely make things work so he can stay involved with the program this year at whatever level he's able to give.
  • Quint mentioned that Navy's top two scorers last year were from the midfield and "that's rare these days." Amplo replied, laughing, "that's bad lacrosse." Amplo seemed focused on providing more of the offensive firepower from the attack unit. He is high on sophomore Henry Tolker -- "he's a tough S.0.B." -- and also mentioned Arline and plebe Race Ripley. For newcomers, he seemed most excited about plebe Mac Haley, whom Quint asked about. Amplo said in times during fallball Haley was at the top of the depth chart -- he matched up really well against tough Navy defenders in practice and against Penn in fallball. The only question is whether, during the grind of plebe year, Haley can sustain his fallball success playing lacrosse 5-6 days a week in the spring.
  • Amplo said that the "key ingredient" on the attack might be junior Jonathan Jarosz. Amplo said that perhaps the most important thing Coach Phipps said to him during the fall was that the coaches were focusing too much on what Jarosz was doing wrong and not enough what he's doing right. Yes Jarosz might drop the ball or throw it away over the sideline sometimes but he can score, he's a match-up nightmare, he's a monster: "If we can't figure out how to get a 6'5" guy who scores on the field we're not coaching right." Said Jarosz reminded him of Ian Dingman.
  • Quint asked about faceoffs. Amplo is glad to have Nate Hammond back and is optimistic about the talent of sophomore FOGO Anthony Ghobriel, who missed most of his plebe season with an injury. Amplo hopes that together they might get Navy into the mid 50% range for faceoffs, but is realistic that they also play two of the best FOGOS in the nation when they play Lehigh and BU.
  • Amplo talked about what a great person and leader Jackson Bonitz is, beyond the lacrosse field.
  • Amplo talked about guarding against soft tissue injuries and not crushing the team physically in the early practices, also using some walkthrough type practices during the season to focus on the mental aspect and not have everything be physical.
  • Quint applauds Amplo for putting Queens on the schedule and not just worrying about RPI. Amplo says it's about winning the games to get in the tournament, if you win enough you'll get in.
Last edited by The Orfling on Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PALax11

Post by PALax11 »

Great summary!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Agreed, appreciate the time you took to listen, and to jot all that down.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”