Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by bearlaxfan »

Just to note:
"Let those who refuse vaccines and booster shot etc take their chances."
is bearfan, not I. Not saying I agree or disagree, it's just not my comment. ;)
Now back to our regular programming...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:50 am Just to note:
oops, sorry for the confusion; edited original.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:58 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:50 am Just to note:
oops, sorry for the confusion; edited original.
👍🏻
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

This is getting real ugly, real quick. Gotta believe the Vegas line on a full Ivy season is now below 50%. If you care about Ivy lacrosse, write your school presidents and ADs a note ASAP.

Yale moves to orange alert level, sees highest single-day COVID case count
https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2021/12/ ... ase-count/
"Yale’s description of the orange alert level also states that instructional or non-instructional gatherings of any size are prohibited until transmission rates decrease, and that students in off-campus housing are restricted from campus, while students living on campus are restricted to campus. In the absence of a formal announcement from Yale, it is not yet clear if all of these restrictions will be put in place."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:08 am This is getting real ugly, real quick. Gotta believe the Vegas line on a full Ivy season is now below 50%. If you care about Ivy lacrosse, write your school presidents and ADs a note ASAP.

"Yale’s description of the orange alert level also states that instructional or non-instructional gatherings of any size are prohibited until transmission rates decrease, and that students in off-campus housing are restricted from campus, while students living on campus are restricted to campus. In the absence of a formal announcement from Yale, it is not yet clear if all of these restrictions will be put in place."
How do you come to that conclusion?
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:08 am This is getting real ugly, real quick. Gotta believe the Vegas line on a full Ivy season is now below 50%. If you care about Ivy lacrosse, write your school presidents and ADs a note ASAP.

We don’t need writing campaigns. We need tens of millions of Americans who haven’t received a single Covid-19 vaccination to get their first shot and at the same time we need tens of millions of Americans who have received two shots to get their third booster shot. And we need hundreds of millions of Americans wearing their masks at all times indoors when in public or socializing outside their immediate household.

That will save the Ivy League lacrosse season (and possibly everyone’s lacrosse season).

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Doc,
So, we need everyone masked up at all times right? You mean the N95 masks that no one wears that have been shown to work or the cloth ones that everyone wears and many studies show that do very little to prevent covid? Are you asking 18-22 year old athletes to do this even though they have a 99.9999% percent chance of survival? Insanity. When do you see this ending or are you in that camp where this never ends?

I mean, I am pro vax but this is beyond over reach.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:26 am Doc,
So, we need everyone masked up at all times right? You mean the N95 masks that no one wears that have been shown to work or the cloth ones that everyone wears and many studies show that do very little to prevent covid? Are you asking 18-22 year old athletes to do this even though they have a 99.9999% percent chance of survival? Insanity. When do you see this ending or are you in that camp where this never ends?

I think 5.3 million dead from Covid-19 would disagree with you ….

This is a time to persevere, not indulge our impatience.

Today’s self-indulgent and selfish generations would never have won WWII.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/ ... id-19.html

The virus doesn’t care that we are fatigued….actually, if conscious, the virus would be happy that we are fatigued.
“I wish you would!”
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:20 am

We don’t need writing campaigns. We need tens of millions of Americans who haven’t received a single Covid-19 vaccination to get their first shot and at the same time we need tens of millions of Americans who have received two shots to get their third booster shot. And we need hundreds of millions of Americans wearing their masks at all times indoors when in public or socializing outside their immediate household.

That will save the Ivy League lacrosse season (and possibly everyone’s lacrosse season).

DocBarrister
I always appreciate your wisdom and insights. I am a huge pro-vax person who is triple vaxxed myself, as is our family. Sincere question from a civilian: If every player on every Ivy League lacrosse team is triple vaxxed and every one of those players contracts Covid, statistically, how many would be hospitalized and how many would die? I suppose that is 350 very healthy 19-22 year olds. My guess is that the answer would be zero and zero, but that the answer if they are all unvaxxed would be worse. Am I in the right zip code?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:10 pm

DocBarrister
I always appreciate your wisdom and insights. I am a huge pro-vax person who is triple vaxxed myself, as is our family. Sincere question from a civilian: If every player on every Ivy League lacrosse team is triple vaxxed and every one of those players contracts Covid, statistically, how many would be hospitalized and how many would die? I suppose that is 350 very healthy 19-22 year olds. My guess is that the answer would be zero and zero, but that the answer if they are all unvaxxed would be worse. Am I in the right zip code?
Well, it’s terrific to know you are triple vaxxed (as am I). Safe holidays to you and your family.

In response to your question, if all Ivy athletes are triple vaxxed and they all somehow become infected with SARS-CoV-2, probably less than 5% will experience any serious illness (fewer than 20 out of 350) and maybe one or two will expire. Depends on the variant, exposure, personal medical history, etc. Considering that such a cohort is far healthier than the average population, it could very well turn out to be zero and zero, as you say.

If they were all unvaccinated? That’s a much uglier picture. Thanks.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:44 pm

DocBarrister
Well, it’s terrific to know you are triple vaxxed (as am I). Safe holidays to you and your family.

In response to your question, if all Ivy athletes are triple vaxxed and they all somehow become infected with SARS-CoV-2, probably less than 5% will experience any serious illness (fewer than 20 out of 350) and maybe one or two will expire. Depends on the variant, exposure, personal medical history, etc. Considering that such a cohort is far healthier than the average population, it could very well turn out to be zero and zero, as you say.

DocBarrister
Sounds about right...now, how about the coaches, the equipment staff, trainers, roommates, folks serving dinner, profs, ....that's the problem, whether we like it or not.

That said, I'm in the camp for insisting on boosters, testing and quarantining while infectious (but with more granular tests enabling faster return) and generally putting the onus on the unvaccinated hereon. Unfortunately there are some people who simply can't be vaccinated, so there's still some responsibility to others.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
There are 70 division I teams with on average 50 per team
That’s 3500 D1 lacrosse players
A low estimate is that 1/3 have had Covid already
How many of that 1000 have been hospitalized or died?
Typical Lax Dad

Laxbuck wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:13 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
What is your rate of incidence based on? 1 out of 3 has had COVID-19 and that’s low. Wondering what is the basis of the estimate?
“I wish you would!”
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Assume most have looked at this:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -run/58732

Dartmouth’s schedule is discussed in their thread, primary thing I don’t like about it is the Ohio State game (arguably their toughest) scheduled before they play Harvard. I like the fact they scheduled Ohio, just not away on a Tuesday at 7pm before, on paper, their best chance for an Ivy win in a long time.

Excited to see what Neuman can do for Yale at the FO X. Love TD, but was disappointed he sidelined one of the best FO middies to come out of high school. Hoping he makes some noise early.

My preseason favorite is probably UPenn.

Happy Holidays!
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:18 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
What is your rate of incidence based on? 1 out of 3 has had COVID-19 and that’s low. Wondering what is the basis of the estimate?
It’s a very very low estimate just to make the point that more college lacrosse players have had Covid already than the total number who play in the Ivy League, and none have died. So to presume if all 350 of the IL lacrosse players were unvaccinated that 1-2 would die is based on zero empiric evidence.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister
in the u.s., there have probably been about 1,000 deaths in 18+-22+ year olds. maybe up to 1,500. if you had at least 6.6 million infected (since the beginning of the pandemic) in that age group, that's one death for approximately every ~4,500- 7,000 infected.

when you have healthy, in shape athletes and fold in vaccination, booster, etc. it's supposed to be 10x + protected, we think. or one death for every 45,000 - 70,000 infections.

hospitalizations i'm not sure how that works as a ratio to deaths. varies i'm sure a decent amount by age and comorbitities. ~5x average hosp/death, higher for younger?
Typical Lax Dad

Laxbuck wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:53 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:18 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
It’s a very very low estimate just to make the point that more college lacrosse players have had Covid already than the total number who play in the Ivy League, and none have died. So to presume if all 350 of the IL lacrosse players were unvaccinated that 1-2 would die is based on zero empiric evidence.
Not sure IL canceled sports last year to keep athletes from dying…I read here that it was because the Ivy League is anti-sports.
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:46 pm

The virus doesn’t care that we are fatigued….actually, if conscious, the virus would be happy that we are fatigued.
Conscious and possessing human emotions.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:46 pm

Conscious and possessing human emotions.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”