2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: 2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

Post by DMac »

Watching the Canada-Scotland game.
My vote for most fun player to watch is Dobbie.
Amazing the contagious enthusiasm she brings
to the field/team. You'd think she was a 20 year
old playing in her first world tournament.
Jimerson still looking really good, got a couple
of assists and a goal early on. Game is no contest,
Canada just way too much for the Scots.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I watched the second half of the USA-England game this morning. I really like that England team; they have some good players (three of whom, of course, are from Maryland and Connecticut) and play with a lot of grit. I'd like to see them pick off the Neighbors to the North in the medal rounds.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ha, watching it too (ESPN+ problems yesterday).
England's definitely impressive in this one. Noted
earlier they had a nice prep game v Canada just
before this one...play better competition and it
likely will make you better.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

The broadcasts have generally been good. However, if I have to hear Joe Beninati gush over CN every 3 minutes, I may have to mute the next game. He needs to be reminded that there are other talented players on the field.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cltlax wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:59 am The broadcasts have generally been good. However, if I have to hear Joe Beninati gush over CN every 3 minutes, I may have to mute the next game. He needs to be reminded that there are other talented players on the field.
Welcome to America, where the media angle is always about goal scorers and new, shiny things. I think Joe tries to spread the love around, but Charlotte is "TNBG" -- The New Big Thing -- and the watchword/phrase is "grow the game."

I like Charlotte, and love the verve and fire with which she plays. Her shooting, particularly from the FP, is just so fun to watch. But I wouldn't take her first in the draft, or make her the centerpiece around which I'd build a team. The first choice is probably the best goalie you can find (because good keepers are so very rare), and then Cummings or McCool -- two players who just do every little thing well all the time.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Completely agree with the above.
Oh, and is it out of line to say Courtney Martinez Connor is very camera friendly?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

DMac wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:02 pm Completely agree with the above.
Oh, and is it out of line to say Courtney Martinez Connor is very camera friendly?
I don't think any of us would expect any less from you....
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:27 pm
cltlax wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:59 am The broadcasts have generally been good. However, if I have to hear Joe Beninati gush over CN every 3 minutes, I may have to mute the next game. He needs to be reminded that there are other talented players on the field.
and the watchword/phrase is "grow the game."
As in all the commercials they are running to convince us that the Sixes is an awesome format that we need to embrace.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Welcome to America, where the media angle is always about goal scorers and new, shiny things. I think Joe tries to spread the love around, but Charlotte is "TNBG" -- The New Big Thing -- and the watchword/phrase is "grow the game."

I like Charlotte, and love the verve and fire with which she plays. Her shooting, particularly from the FP, is just so fun to watch. But I wouldn't take her first in the draft, or make her the centerpiece around which I'd build a team. The first choice is probably the best goalie you can find (because good keepers are so very rare), and then Cummings or McCool -- two players who just do every little thing well all the time.
Bet you she goes first every time though
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Lax247 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:48 pm

Bet you she goes first every time though
Yep.
njbill

Post by njbill »

What is with all these illegal sticks from North? Three so far in the tournament. I guess the international refs are haters, too. :roll: Uh, oh. Incoming diatribe from CO after he works on it for three weeks.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Two illegal sticks? I don’t know what they are looking at but she’s had her stick checked how many times?

Hard to understand
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Two illegal sticks for CN?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Something very identifiable.... stringing?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Nice to see Lizzy Colson get some meaningful offensive PT. Was a real surprise to me that Md. moved her to defense as she was one of the most dynamic midfielders ever to come out of a Maryland public HS. But Cathy knows best. She always does.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

njbill wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:46 pm What is with all these illegal sticks from North? Three so far in the tournament. I guess the international refs are haters, too. :roll: Uh, oh. Incoming diatribe from CO after he works on it for three weeks.
Crazy - doesn’t every one use same stick and pocket strung the same way?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Lax247 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:06 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:46 pm What is with all these illegal sticks from North? Three so far in the tournament. I guess the international refs are haters, too. :roll: Uh, oh. Incoming diatribe from CO after he works on it for three weeks.
Crazy - doesn’t every one use same stick and pocket strung the same way?
Was there ever any explanation from officialdom on how the sticks were illegal?
DMac

Post by DMac »

I watched the whole thing and I never heard an explanation, it almost looked as if the ref(s) thought Charolette is just a little too good with her stick. She had a nice fake pass play which faked pretty much everyone, including the cameraman, out. That might have been a bit much for the refs.
Couple of things; the commentator (not the one with the impossible to not notice beautiful smile which one should never comment on in the world of wlax) noted that Dobbie's pass from the FPS which she lofted up beautifully to be handled however the receiver wanted to and faked pretty much everyone on the field out (not in this game, of course) should be in the top ten highlight reel despite the shot not going in (had to score that one). I, and the other commentator, agree.
As has been mentioned a couple of times by others too, I like these international rules, I'd like to see the NCAA adopt them. I like the eleven meter and ten v ten....they can keep the size of the field the way it is though as well as kicking the ball. Typically I'm not in favor of any kind of imbalance that tilts a game in anyone's favor (bagged and "sick hold" sticks in men's lacrosse has given the O way too much of an advantage, cradling the ball and travelling in hoops has given the O way too much of an advantage...can't watch the NBA...lot of rules in football has given the O big advantages, Butkus wouldn't be allowed on a field today) and while I do feel the ten v ten game does make it more difficult on the D, I do like it a lot. I won't be at all surprised to see the ten v ten game played in college in the future.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Explanation I got was that she failed to drop her stick right away after scoring a goal.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Both times? Must be be they don't like the Charolette slide?
On the first one I thought it was the fake pass (very sleight of handish, Marachek like) that got the refs. Not something you see in wlax very often, must be an illegal stick.
So even though it's not an illegal stick it's taken out of the game. That's pretty nuts.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”