Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by kramerica.inc »

No, I understand that. Just saying 28 was the old ncaa sideline roster size for ncaa tournament games.
This year will present a lot of challenges. Hope everyone weathers the storm and does well.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Thanks for that clarification. Can't wait for the season to begin. Fingers crossed.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Duke just released their schedule, and from the looks of it. Loyola is not among their OOC games.

Leads me to believe that we have another replacement team coming possibly.

OOC games so far- Virginia, Utah, Towson, Georgetown, possibly hopkins, possibly albany?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Any early word on the freshmen group? How are they performing?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

also Womens team on the greyhounds website announced their write up about the preseason poll.

at the bottom of the page, they stated "Schedule information for both the non-conference and conference portions of the 2021 regular season will be released in the coming days." which meansss their schedule will be released i believe this week!

which I now hope for the mens, that they release their schedule concurrently to the womens team sometime this week as well
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:42 am Any early word on the freshmen group? How are they performing?
UsLax says that Gunnar Cheuvront and Seth Higgins are potential impact Freshman

Davis Lindsay is reportedly looking reallly good
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:03 am
FMUBart wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:42 am Any early word on the freshmen group? How are they performing?
UsLax says that Gunnar Cheuvront and Seth Higgins are potential impact Freshman

Davis Lindsay is reportedly looking reallly good
Spoke with a Loyola Lax dad yesterday, heard the same thing about Lindsay, Also heard the injury bug has hit the team, elbows, hamstrings etc... As long as covid stays out we should be fine. Has anyone heard that Loyola is keeping players out 21 days if they test positive?
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

Hearing that all freshmen that have been practicing look really good and could be pushing for playing time at positions that we thought they wouldn’t-says a lot about our staff and how well they recruit
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Yeah - I've heard Lindsey is looking good. Alex Bean also doing well on the defensive end. Have also heard quite a few players hit with the injury bug, hamstrings especially. I'd like to think the players are going too fast too soon and haven't had time to get reacclimatized to practice and drills since they haven't played in a year almost, and didn't really have Fall Ball. I'm sure David Manning is pulling his hair out.

The team is part of Loyola Covid Surveillance Testing, which means they have a daily symptom checker and if they exhibit symptoms it kicks off other actions. Only a handful of players quarantined right now. And well over half of the team has already been exposed to COVID since last March from what I've heard, but this is street talk. Hoping they have the antibodies. Have not heard about the quarantine lasting for 21 days - I believe that is too long and think it is only 14 days and might drop to ten, but that is my wishful thinking. And if the Contract Tracing shows a False Positive then you would think the players Quarantined would get a break and go off quarantine.

If the Freshmen are doing well, and I almost lump last years Sophs in with this group due to the shortened season, then Loyola is going to have some amazing depth. And we know that quite a few Frosh from last year did very well, Kamish, Poitras, James, Hueston, etc.. I hear this is a very talented Freshman class.

I'm just anxious about watching the Hounds on TV or some venue, every game (ESPN+). Heck, I'd even settle for old school radio play action, but we may have to rely on Twitter.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:02 pm Yeah - I've heard Lindsey is looking good. Alex Bean also doing well on the defensive end. Have also heard quite a few players hit with the injury bug, hamstrings especially. I'd like to think the players are going too fast too soon and haven't had time to get reacclimatized to practice and drills since they haven't played in a year almost, and didn't really have Fall Ball. I'm sure David Manning is pulling his hair out.

The team is part of Loyola Covid Surveillance Testing, which means they have a daily symptom checker and if they exhibit symptoms it kicks off other actions. Only a handful of players quarantined right now. And well over half of the team has already been exposed to COVID since last March from what I've heard, but this is street talk. Hoping they have the antibodies. Have not heard about the quarantine lasting for 21 days - I believe that is too long and think it is only 14 days and might drop to ten, but that is my wishful thinking. And if the Contract Tracing shows a False Positive then you would think the players Quarantined would get a break and go off quarantine.

If the Freshmen are doing well, and I almost lump last years Sophs in with this group due to the shortened season, then Loyola is going to have some amazing depth. And we know that quite a few Frosh from last year did very well, Kamish, Poitras, James, Hueston, etc.. I hear this is a very talented Freshman class.

I'm just anxious about watching the Hounds on TV or some venue, every game (ESPN+). Heck, I'd even settle for old school radio play action, but we may have to rely on Twitter.
so far every loyola home game that i've seen for the sports that are playing (basketball for now) , are high quality produced streams thanks to ESPN+. I believe its well worth the investment.

The womens team will release their schedule soon, the men will follow suit. I believe we will have games! not sure how they will fit in other sports like mens/women's soccer since they are scheduled to play in the spring as well, but the more sports the merrier the fans.

Speaking of sophomores, what happened to Jack Griffin? He doesn't appear on the roster anymore
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Here's hoping the Hounds still livestream the game with the call from Cottle and Gunks.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:02 pm Yeah - I've heard Lindsey is looking good. Alex Bean also doing well on the defensive end. Have also heard quite a few players hit with the injury bug, hamstrings especially. I'd like to think the players are going too fast too soon and haven't had time to get reacclimatized to practice and drills since they haven't played in a year almost, and didn't really have Fall Ball. I'm sure David Manning is pulling his hair out.

Practice has not fully ramped up yet, but escalating more so daily...still no full field and contact has been limited from what I'm told, so once they actually start running full fields with heavy and active defensive contact, it will yield a better picture on what's what, and who's who...especially with the younger guys. I've also heard they've had some injuries and guys dinged up...more non contact type issues as you note (hamstrings, etc...)

With that said, I don't even think they're running full field stuff until next week...

Depth will be needed in a year like this because it will be hard to escape covid...the kids can and are trying hard to be smart/safe, but we know we're gonna probably run into a few positive tests...even if the kids feel great...which most do at that age...fingers crossed for good luck...

From reading Coach Toomeys comments in the USLax article, it's clear they are counting on Kamish and Poitras to be key players on this team and build on the trajectory from the 6 game season last year...and as you point out, the reality is that last years freshman are essentially freshman AGAIN with experience...so guys like Kamish and Poitras and James are sitting there with 4 years of eligibility...wow...

Sounds like a handful of the freshman will see the field and could be really good...it will be good to see how that progresses...taking that info and putting it with the fact that we had a lot of really good players returning....I like this team...

Team has a ton of pieces...fingers crossed...I'm bullish

I think ESPN + will be a good stream source
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Is the legendary Peter Brown still around?

Will miss discussion of the Loyola games with JHU and Towson if they are off the schedule.

Shame those games wont be played given such close proximity.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:12 pm Here's hoping the Hounds still livestream the game with the call from Cottle and Gunks.
I hope!! Also noticed that Ross Pridemore was no longer on the roster. Wishing him the best.

And legendary Peter Brown. Gosh I miss him. I wonder if his Mom took away his WiFi :lol:
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

The games will be on ESPN+ I'm almost certain. It just doesn't make any sense for the PL to sign a deal with a service that is going to stream less than what they were already producing. Plus all the other conferences on ESPN+ already stream lacrosse through it.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:01 pm The games will be on ESPN+ I'm almost certain. It just doesn't make any sense for the PL to sign a deal with a service that is going to stream less than what they were already producing. Plus all the other conferences on ESPN+ already stream lacrosse through it.
I'm not the sharpest marble, but when we talk about ESPN+ streaming/live streaming the games, do you get announcers and play by play with that? I know some high schools in our area started streaming games and to improve the experience they recruited volunteers to announce and do play by play.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

NovaHound wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:16 am
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:01 pm The games will be on ESPN+ I'm almost certain. It just doesn't make any sense for the PL to sign a deal with a service that is going to stream less than what they were already producing. Plus all the other conferences on ESPN+ already stream lacrosse through it.
I'm not the sharpest marble, but when we talk about ESPN+ streaming/live streaming the games, do you get announcers and play by play with that? I know some high schools in our area started streaming games and to improve the experience they recruited volunteers to announce and do play by play.
If it's on "ESPN+" there are still announcers, but they're usually local/freelance guys (or sometimes even student volunteers). It won't be ESPN's employees. If it's an ACC Network or ESPNU game, it will likely be ESPN's main broadcast team. It can be confusing: ESPN+, ACCN, and ESPNU are all available within the same ESPN streaming app.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

NovaHound wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:16 am
You get announcers...my guess would be every team has their home announcing crew...so if the game is home, we would get the Loyola guys....the hope is it's the same as watching the games on the PLN...that would be my understanding...I've watched a number of games on ESPN+. They all had commentary
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

other news!!

Utah posted their schedule, we have a date confirmed of February 27th

Confirmed games per school's schedules

2/27 - Utah
3/27 - Towson
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Loyola University Maryland Men’s Lacrosse
For Immediate Release: Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Men’s Lacrosse Ranked 13th In Preseason, Two Named All-Americans

BALTIMORE – Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse was picked 13th in the preseason NCAA Division I poll by Inside Lacrosse this week, while two members of the team were selected as Preseason All-Americans by the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA).

Ryan McNulty was slotted as a third-team long-stick midfielder, while Bailey Savio was named to the preseason honorable mention.

Last year, McNulty continued his play as one of the top poles in the nation in all three phases of the game. He led Loyola with 11 caused turnovers, and he was second to Savio with 23 ground balls. He was a key player on the defensive end where Loyola finished the year seventh in scoring defense (8.67 goals allowed per game) and third in man-down defense (.889 kill percentage).

Between the lines, the two-time team captain helped Loyola rank sixth nationally in clearing percentage (.903), and he was a weapon on the offensive end of the field, scoring four points with two goals and two assists in only six games.

He is eighth all-time at Loyola in caused turnovers (51), and he sits just outside the top-15 at the school with 145 ground balls. He also has eight goals on just 21 shots and six assists for 14 career points.

Savio was excellent at the faceoff 'X' for the Greyhounds in 2020, turn in dominant performances one after another. His work at the dot helped Loyola rank third nationally in face-off winning percentage, while he was fifth nationally and tops in the Patriot League.

The junior won 90 of 131 faceoff attempts, a 68.7 percent success rate, and he had 62 ground balls in only six games. Savio won at least 58 percent of his faceoffs in all six games this season. After combining to go 26 of 44 (.591) in the first two games against Virginia and Johns Hopkins, Savio put together a game in which he went 23 of 24 versus Rutgers, picking up a school and Patriot League 18 ground balls in the process.

His 68.7 faceoff winning percentage is a Loyola record for a player who attempted more than 100 draws in a season, bettering the mark of 67.1 percent set in 2003 by Ryan Radonis. During the season, he moved into fourth place in career ground balls with 247. He will enter 2021 chasing the school record of 340 set from 2014-2017 by his older brother, Graham.

As a team, the Greyhounds will start the season in mid-February with a schedule that will be released in coming days.

- loyolagreyhounds.com -
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”