COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
HVGuy

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

Post by HVGuy »

livelovelax,
Your true colors are shining through. I suppose your "doctor" friends have a good reason for the rise in "pneumonia" deaths in many states as well...Every doctor and nurse I have spoken to is scared to death of this thing. Since we are speaking anecdotally here, I have never personally known anyone to die of the flu. However, I personally know over 10 people who have died from COVID ranging in age from 29 to 95. You may be OK with culling our herd, but I am not. My daughter will most likely lose her junior and senior seasons as the captain of her D1 lacrosse team - that is tragic. The northeast states were devastated by this disease in March-May and have somewhat controlled the spread through an intense lock down. Look what is happening in states that do/did not lock down. History will show that a significant portion of our population lacked the collective resolve to eradicate this as we watch it linger in the USA far further than anywhere else - and yes that resolve starts at the top. I guess Big 10 Football is forgoing hundreds of millions of dollars just to screw with the election. Get your head out of the sand.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

HVGuy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:17 pm livelovelax,
The northeast states were devastated by this disease in March-May and have somewhat controlled the spread through an intense lock down. Look what is happening in states that do/did not lock down.

New York has 3 times as many deaths as the next closest state (California, which also had strict lock down measures in place).

Florida, which is vilified by the left for opening up too soon, has 1/4 as many deaths as New York while having a larger population.

Sorry to interrupt, please carry on.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

HVGuy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:17 pm My daughter will most likely lose her junior and senior seasons as the captain of her D1 lacrosse team - that is tragic.
And mine :cry:
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Just talked with D. So what does that mean for non-Fall sports? Can they practice, she had no idea? I understand if students are not on campus, no practice, but there are some discussions about non-Fall athletes coming to campus even though classes are virtual....more confused than normal... :? :twisted:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

PAC 12 cancelled Fall as well.
Turtles Lax

That’s a truly amazing run of bad fortune among your friends.

Post by Turtles Lax »

On the other hand, TL is in regular communication with friends in six countries and more than 30 states...Massachusetts to Hawai’i; Alaska to Florida.

Only one has been positive for the virus. ONE. He’s a nurse...zero symptoms...14 day quarantine..back to work in virus unit.

Multiple friends In Melbourne, OZ,...the proclaimed hotspot. None affected there.

In Maryland now a grand total of 488 persons hospitalized; 117 ICU patients. These numbers have DROPPED significantly in recent weeks.

Get ready for PERMANENT cancellations of multiple sports. Anyone think volleyball has a chance of making the coming cut at UMD? NOT A HIT AT VOLLEYBALL. Just fact. Hope it’s not.

And when hoops is cancelled due to shortsighted decision making, the real damage will begin. Does anyone think UA will continue to throw big bucks at Maryland? Ditto Nike, Adidas, etc. at their schools.

Academic programs will be cut. Instructional positions will be cut. Some colleges will close.

Peace, out.

TL

PS: TL is not a doomer. Everything in TL’s life is geared to the positive as best TL can. Sadly, decision makers continue to listen to Fauci, Birx, and their ilk who have never offered a glimmer of hope. And now others join that bandwagon and tell us we might survive the Shanghai Shivers but the China Angina will finish us off. :roll:

But here’s an absolute truth, they won’t find TL’s corpse under TL’s bed. :lol:

tl

HVGuy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:17 pm livelovelax,
Your true colors are shining through. I suppose your "doctor" friends have a good reason for the rise in "pneumonia" deaths in many states as well...Every doctor and nurse I have spoken to is scared to death of this thing. Since we are speaking anecdotally here, I have never personally known anyone to die of the flu. However, I personally know over 10 people who have died from COVID ranging in age from 29 to 95. You may be OK with culling our herd, but I am not. My daughter will most likely lose her junior and senior seasons as the captain of her D1 lacrosse team - that is tragic. The northeast states were devastated by this disease in March-May and have somewhat controlled the spread through an intense lock down. Look what is happening in states that do/did not lock down. History will show that a significant portion of our population lacked the collective resolve to eradicate this as we watch it linger in the USA far further than anywhere else - and yes that resolve starts at the top. I guess Big 10 Football is forgoing hundreds of millions of dollars just to screw with the election. Get your head out of the sand.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

I posted this in the HS thread as well, but this is BY FAR the biggest health concern during COVID that no one will acknowledge or discuss because it destroys the narrative

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6932a1.htm
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:50 pm I posted this in the HS thread as well, but this is BY FAR the biggest health concern during COVID that no one will acknowledge or discuss because it destroys the narrative

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6932a1.htm
+1000

Because most of the people in this forum will try and tell you that we NEED to getter a better handle on COVID-19 and then and only then will the mental health aspect only improve. This is not only conflating two issues that are only connected due to the some of the measures and reactions that have taken place in regards to this virus. Whether they are right or wrong(a lot of measures are over the top, there are some that absolutely help) the sooner we continue to take steps to get back to normalcy and live WITH the virus and not try and stupidly think we can totally eradicate it, the most important health concern (MENTAL HEALTH) will begin and continue to improve greatly. There are a vast of majority of people who are not married, do not have kids and it simply is adversely affecting their health that are not able to have at their disposal the full complement of social activities to take part in with their friends and most importantly in some cases, the opposite sex. It's easy to be on the other side when you have your own family/kids. When you are a single person if you get caught up in the negativity it is HIGHLY detrimental to your health, in many cases more so than virus itself. Amen 8meterPA!!

Go Twins,
Joemauer89!
njbill

Post by njbill »

Agreed that some may be suffering from mental health issues due to the loss of social interactions, loss of jobs, disruption of their normal lives, etc.

Of course, almost everyone is suffering in some way. Many of the reasons are serious. The most significant is the one that affects you, personally.

8meterpa, the mental health impact has been discussed at some length in media I’ve seen. Yes, it is a major issue for some, though I suspect it isn't as widespread or as serious as the article you linked suggests. For one thing, the survey was not random. 9896 people were "invited" (article doesn't say how invitees were selected but I assume it wasn't random); however, only 5412 (55%) responded. This raises questions in my mind as to whether the results truly are representative of the general population. For another, the article says the anxiety and depression results can't be compared to those for 2019 because of differences in methods and potential unknown survey biases. So are more people anxious or depressed due to Covid or are the numbers similar to results in other years? Also, I'd like to see the questions to which respondents replied affirmatively that they are anxious or depressed. Some of the results seem questionable to me. E.g., 25% of people 18-24 "seriously considered suicide" within 30 days of the survey. I don't buy that.

Now, that’s not to minimize the impact of anxiety, etc. for those affected, whether or not Covid related. But I certainly don't subscribe to the notion, advocated by some, that we should "open up," abandon all efforts to suppress the virus, and just "let 'er rip."

Joe, the "most important health concern" is not mental health. In fact, it is well down the list. More important than death? Myocarditis? Lung damage? Please.

Everyone has been impacted in one way or another, some more than others. Some have valid complaints about the pervasiveness of the impact on their lives. And I do sympathize with them. But others – Joe, I’m talking to you – people can’t go to a bar?; folks can’t get laid? Come on.

Let’s stipulate that everyone wants this thing to end yesterday. How we get there is where there is extreme disagreement, however. Why some think we should ignore the scientists and doctors, open up, and LIVE WITH THE VIRUS (tell that to the dead people) is beyond me.

The large majority of politicians (not all), Republican and Democrat, are earnestly trying to get us through this pandemic. Same with business leaders, school administrators, and just plain folk. They are acting responsibly, following the advice of the experts. A few of our so-called "leaders," and one key politician in particular, are spitting into the wind. They are doing a lot of harm.

There have been lots of health crises in my lifetime, starting with polio and measles and including AIDS, MERS, SARS, and Ebola. Except for AIDS (which was politicized by homophobes), this is the only one that has become so charged (over-charged, really) by politics. In all the others, the doctors and scientists guided us through and eventually lead us out of the problem.

I’m sure all of you guys have gone to see doctors many times in your lives. You’ve followed their advice, gotten treatment, had surgeries, etc. Why is now different? Why, for this disease and this disease alone, are you not listening to medical science? I don’t get it.

Your pissing and moaning isn’t going to change how the responsible adults are going to continue dealing with this crisis (fortunately). I have to say, part of me thinks, man up. Stop being such wussies about this. Stop complaining. Have some patience. If you guys had been around in the ‘40s and had been unwilling to make the necessary sacrifices then, we’d be speaking German now.

That’s probably a bit much, but we’ll get through this more quickly (probably by some time next year) and at less cost if everyone does what they should be doing. Obey the rules. Listen to the experts. At the end of the day, this probably will be a one year or a year and a half problem. All-consuming now to be sure. But it is temporary and will be a faded memory years down the road. Nothing more than a serious hiccup for almost everyone (except, of course, those who died and their loved ones).
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

I’m sure all of you guys have gone to see doctors many times in your lives. You’ve followed their advice, gotten treatment, had surgeries, etc. Why is now different? Why, for this disease and this disease alone, are you not listening to medical science? I don’t get it.

njbill:

You are a smart individual and have reasonable ideas and thoughts with all of your postings on all issues.

To your point above, doctors are human beings and they make mistakes,just like every other professional. I am sure a lot of us have been to the doctors and they have received poor medical care and advice. There are a lot of doctors who think we have been fighting this virus in a poor fashion.

No one on this forum is wishing for anyone's death, but the facts are people die every day and that is a normal part of life. What I have not been able to wrap my arms around is why is a death by COVID so awful compared to a death by guns, car accident, cancer, heart disease etc. Why are we being forced to drastically changing our lives and economy because of COVID? Actually not because of COVID, but because of politicians and their decisions.

We as a society have made decisions on how much risk we are willing to accept to be free and comfortable. We know alcohol and tobacco do a lot of harm to society but we accepted those potential negative outcomes. We know people die in car accidents every day, some of those accidents are caused by other drivers who are being "selfish".

The decisions that politicians have been making these past 6 months because of the COVID-19 virus have cost the economy billions if not trillions of dollars and ruined life's beyond measurable ways. Not to mention the added federal debt that our children and grandchildren will be stuck with,

We shouldn't be afraid of death, it has been going on since the beginning of time.

I wish everyone all the best
DMac

Post by DMac »

I don't think the WW II reference works here, njb. There was no mixed message, no question about what needed to be done and why. No doubt there were some who weren't on board, but by and large the entire nation was willing to do (and sacrifice) what needed to be done. With this "war" neither the politicians nor the medical experts agree on what we should be doing which leaves the average Joe, like me, confused and frustrated. Frankly, I'd rather pick my rifle up and fight in that kind of war than the one I'm blindly stumbling around in now. When the shut down began, I expressed my concern about what this would do to people's psyche if it goes on for too long, and I can tell you, it has affected mine. Hopefully someone will come up with a difinitive answer as to what to do but what we're doing now is not going to work....you just can't shut down without being 100-90-80-75 percent certain that's what needs to be done, the results will be/are devastating. Choose your poison.
What to do?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/13/spor ... kI0YHgdHNY
njbill

Post by njbill »

Well I sorta knew I'd be getting some blow back. :lol:

TN and DMac, my post wasn't directed at you, but at what I consider to be the extreme comments of a couple of posters on this thread.

Yes, doctors do make mistakes and sometimes they do differ on medical issues. And the coronavirus is new so understandably the medical advice is going to evolve as we learn more about the disease. But I think the large majority are in agreement on the core aspects of dealing with the virus.

Certainly there is widespread agreement about how contagious this disease is. And that is the most significant factor in all the shut down measures. If the thing wasn't so easily transmittable, we wouldn't need to be taking the extreme measures we have.

The big difference with alcohol, tobacco, and cars is that none of them is contagious. And there are limits. As to alcohol, there are licenses, age limits, DUI laws, etc.

Society has done a good job with the tobacco problem. Almost everyone smoked in my parents' generation. The numbers were fairly significantly lower in mine. Now very people in my daughter's generation smoke. It's simply not as accepted as it once was. Plus, now where you can smoke has been drastically limited.

With cars, there are stop signs, traffic lights, speed limits, lanes and lane markings. We have seat belts, air bags, turn signals, brake lights, back up lights, and now those lane changing bells. You have to pass a driving test to get a license.

So while we have accepted the downsides of alcohol, tobacco, and cars, we have done a lot to try to minimize the adverse consequences. What I'm saying is that we essentially need to be doing the same thing here. Take appropriate measures to try to mitigate the spread of the disease. Don't allow people to drive blindfolded at 100 MPH past an elementary school, which is what we'd be doing if we opened everything up and did away with all safety measures.

Can you imagine how dire the situation would be if we'd done nothing to address Covid? Tens of millions infected. Millions dead. Hospitals around the country overwhelmed. Government mandates or not, private industry and society would have shut down. People wouldn't be willing to venture out except for essentials. So trying to blame all this on the politicians is simply wrong. Had they not taken the measures they have, things would be much, much worse. They are trying to strike the very difficult balance of allowing some activity while at the same time trying to prevent as much disease as possible. Actually the reins have been loosened considerably in my area and, from what I gather, around the country. It is not nearly as restrictive as it was a few months ago.

Speaking for myself, if nothing had been done to address Covid, I'm sure I would have gotten it and might be dead by now. So, yeah, I'd like to see the measures stay in place. I'm 67. I take great umbrage at those who say I've lived long enough, I'm disposable now. You can go ahead and die so I can have a beer at a bar. And thanks for that Social Security and Medicare money we won't have to spend on you. JFC.

DMac, actually your WWII comments are largely in line with the point I was making. I'm not saying the situations are perfectly analogous and, yeah, I was being a bit hyperbolic. My point was that during WWII, the country did follow the rules that required great sacrifice and largely did pull in the same direction even while some disagreed (as you note). In terms of "mixed messages" now, I don't agree about the doctors. Sure there are outliers, but the most respected and experienced ones are singing from the same hymnal. Don't get me started on "mixed messages" from the politicians. That some want people to take HCQ and drink clorox doesn't mean there is a legitimate mixing of messages. As I said, all previous health emergencies in my lifetime (except perhaps AIDS) were largely apolitical. We all know why this one is the exception.

I wasn't around during WWII, but from talking with my parents and from reading history, there were some disagreements back then about whether to go to war (certainly before Pearl Harbor), how to handle the war, and particularly what needed to be done on the home front. But at the end of the day, people by and large put their differing views aside and made the necessary sacrifices without the level of bitching and moaning we see today. Are the situations the same? Of course not. But they are both instances where the country needed to pull together and make sacrifices to achieve an end. The citizens of the country did it back then to a much greater degree than they are now.

Sure it's tough. Sure it is frustrating. It's tough and frustrating for everyone. All of us want this thing to be over ASAP.

What I fail to understand is why people don't see that the restrictions will get us through the pandemic quicker and at less cost and pain than if we simply opened everything up.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Interesting article about widely held COVID misconceptions by the public - a lot of good data if you like that sort of thing. Actually pretty shocking what the actual data shows versus what the public thinks the numbers are. I can't help but think if everyone actually read the numbers and thought about it, we would think and act differently about the virus.

https://www.franklintempletonnordic.com ... ience.html

lastly a few direct quotes that were really interesting: "

"The misperception is greater for those who identify as Democrats, and for those who rely more on social media for information; partisanship and misinformation, to misquote Thomas Dolby, are blinding us from science..."

"This misperception translates directly into a degree of fear for one’s health that for most people vastly exceeds the actual risk"

"People who get their information predominantly from social media have the most erroneous and distorted perception of risk"

"Those who identify as Democrats tend to mistakenly overstate the risk of death from COVID-19 for younger people much more than Republicans"

Finally, how many of us remember Thomas Dolby!
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

More facts/stats- almost 3 million people die each year in the United States:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Death is a normal part of life.
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote
What I fail to understand is why people don't see that the restrictions will get us through the pandemic quicker and at less cost and pain than if we simply opened everything up.
Check out the latest in the Men's D1, Is a 2021 season going to happen thread. Just a small sample of contradictions and probably explains why people "don't see" clearly what they should be doing.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Thanks. Don’t read the men’s boards much. Get my fill of coronavirus from the politics board.

From my figuring, it seems we’ve lost about 28 or 29 hours of posts, from, say, early Sunday evening to late last night. At least a couple of mine, and maybe yours, on this thread have bitten the dust. Pretty sure I addressed some of the issues raised in this thread today. Too lazy to go back and repeat what I said.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pretty interesting conclusion over there if you want to check it out, nj. Couple of doctors who sound like they know what they're talking about to me (DocB's no idiot when it comes to such subjects either). Doesn't do anything for getting everyone on board with wearing masks though. It's a real up hill battle to get all in with the mentality and willingness to sacrafice and contribute that we saw early/mid 40s. Still a lot of deniers out there who are just smarter than everyone else (not).
Turtles Lax

Here we go...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...with many more to come.

U Iowa permanently ending men’s gymnastics, men’s and women’s swimming and diving, and men’s tennis.

Doomers are chortling with glee.

I am sickened..and mad...and would be consigned to ban camp if true feelings were related herein.

ETA: U Iowa athletics ‘...projects lost revenue of approximately $100 million and an overall deficit between $60-75 million this fiscal year.’
Turtles Lax

And there’s more...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...bad news. :roll:

Nebraska is furloughing 51 staffers for four months...plus cutting salaries by 10%. They expect a $100 MILLION athletics deficit.

As important, if not more important, the estimated economic loss to the Lincoln community is projected at $300 MILLION.

A similar situation is developing in State College, PA; that city also expects an enormous economic fallout.

Folks, this is the direct result of fear mongering and is just the beginning.

Selfish individuals are far more concerned with their personal well-being than anything else and demand everyone be accountable for their (the selfish ones) health.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”