Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:53 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:19 pm Was that chicken and shrimp on clearance?
Wings were marked down to $2.59/lb, 2 days out from use by date at Wegman's...were very tasty.
Shrimp not marked down but on sale, tomatoes, pepper, and herbs all homegrown in the garden.
:lol: My man!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:19 pm Was that chicken and shrimp on clearance?
Wings were marked down to $2.59/lb, 2 days out from use by date at Wegman's...were very tasty.
Shrimp not marked down but on sale, tomatoes, pepper, and herbs all homegrown in the garden.
$2.59/lb still historically expensive, can’t believe where chicken wings came from to now. Only in America.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:36 am
$2.59/lb still historically expensive, can’t believe where chicken wings came from to now. Only in America.
I thought the same thing. I get leg quarters for .69/lb at our local butcher/Italian grocer.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:46 am
I thought the same thing. I get leg quarters for .69/lb at our local butcher/Italian grocer.
You can thank the Anchor Bar for the over-valuation of wings. Indeed, leg quarters (whole chix legs) are probably the best buy in animal protein and they usually have enough bone material to make a stock, making it an even greater value.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:08 am
You can thank the Anchor Bar for the over-valuation of wings. Indeed, leg quarters (whole chix legs) are probably the best buy in animal protein and they usually have enough bone material to make a stock, making it an even greater value.
Been getting those lately -99 cents/lb, though it's a lot of skin and bones for a guy who's been buying boneless skinless breasts for more than a decade. Publix typically has frozen 2lb bags of that for 6-7 bucks so pretty good.

I just can't believe how much people are willing to pay for historically poor people food. It's offensive that these "celebrity chefs" make meals with spam and then make you pay for their lifestyle, linen, rent and associated pomp and circumstance overhead. Cloud kitchens can't come fast enough for my tastes. Here's an example of this ridiculousness: https://jctkitchen.com/
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:15 am
Been getting those lately -99 cents/lb, though it's a lot of skin and bones for a guy who's been buying boneless skinless breasts for more than a decade. Publix typically has frozen 2lb bags of that for 6-7 bucks so pretty good.

I just can't believe how much people are willing to pay for historically poor people food. It's offensive that these "celebrity chefs" make meals with spam and then make you pay for their lifestyle, linen, rent and associated pomp and circumstance overhead. Cloud kitchens can't come fast enough for my tastes. Here's an example of this ridiculousness: https://jctkitchen.com/
Interesting concept. Like having a food truck parked in the alley of your store front.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:43 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:15 am

Interesting concept. Like having a food truck parked in the alley of your store front.
Subsidizing an entire investor class in CRE to have a nicely and professionally prepared meal just makes no sense anymore (if it ever did).

Once took a shady exec to a dirty gentlemans club, was a little drunk, suited and booted and bought barbecue off a guy with a little grill in the parking lot at 4am. Let's just say I felt like I knew what it was like to be a woman with the "flow" the next two days. Seemed like a good idea at the time though...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree with both of you, the price of chicken wings is just ridiculous and they just keep going up. The cheapest I see wings right now is at Aldi for $3.19/lb which was $2.99/lb a month or so ago. Quarters have always been a super good hit but chicken across the board is still pretty darn inexpensive and if you know what you're doing in the kitchen you can make some pretty tasty dishes with it. You can still get legs for $.99/lb and do the same things with them as you do wings and they're pretty good, but I will say this, those stupid asz wings rule, they're just really are good every time you have them. I've got a bunch of wings in the freezer which I've bought at half off....I aint no foo'.
Turkey is a good hit at $1.39/lb (Butterball). Just bought a 14 pounder the other day and cooked it up. Spend twenty bucks on wings and they're gone right quick, that turkey you can eat for days. Made the spatzle and gravy too, pretty tough meal to beat...of course, got a big pot of turkey soup now too (which turned out ridiculously good...have given half of it away to neighbors). The wings are my favorite part of the turkey and if you think chicken wings are expensive, check out the price of turkey wings next time you're in the store.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:40 am
Agree with both of you, the price of chicken wings is just ridiculous and they just keep going up. The cheapest I see wings right now is at Aldi for $3.19/lb which was $2.99/lb a month or so ago. Quarters have always been a super good hit but chicken across the board is still pretty darn inexpensive and if you know what you're doing in the kitchen you can make some pretty tasty dishes with it. You can still get legs for $.99/lb and do the same things with them as you do wings and they're pretty good, but I will say this, those stupid asz wings rule, they're just really are good every time you have them. I've got a bunch of wings in the freezer which I've bought at half off....I aint no foo'.
Turkey is a good hit at $1.39/lb (Butterball). Just bought a 14 pounder the other day and cooked it up. Spend twenty bucks on wings and they're gone right quick, that turkey you can eat for days. Made the spatzle and gravy too, pretty tough meal to beat...of course, got a big pot of turkey soup now too (which turned out ridiculously good...have given half of it away to neighbors). The wings are my favorite part of the turkey and if you think chicken wings are expensive, check out the price of turkey wings next time you're in the store.
Ten year chart of global poultry prices

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PPOULTUSDM

The one year, like many commodities, is nasty. you can click on 1, 5 10 and max to see different charts above. For the political boards what is striking is the period from 2017 on and the volatility of it.

This second link is pretty interesting as well from the USDA (first is St Louis Fed Reserve - one of the primary research branches of the Fed)

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/pytbroilerfryer.pdf
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:51 am
Ten year chart of global poultry prices

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PPOULTUSDM

The one year, like many commodities, is nasty. you can click on 1, 5 10 and max to see different charts above. For the political boards what is striking is the period from 2017 on and the volatility of it.

This second link is pretty interesting as well from the USDA (first is St Louis Fed Reserve - one of the primary research branches of the Fed)

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/pytbroilerfryer.pdf
Maybe it was when Perdue got involved with Trump admin....yea, I'm gonna go with that.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Alright, I'm sayin' this one is anything but predictable.
Dinner...a little shrimp bisque and, well, guess you can
see. Wings, $3.50 and up /lb. Shrimp %3.99/lb and a 4
pack of those lobster tails $19.99 at Nichols in Liverpool.
Just a crazy lot of good flavors going on there.
Typical Lax Dad

Man I love your posts.

DMac

Post by DMac »

I need one of those hats!!!!
I did pretty good here with that, pretty sad when chicken wings are costing damn near as much as beef briskets.
Scroll down for the home runs though....grass fed top sirloin and hickory smoked bison less than chicken wings.
Both of those were $12.99 before the mark down. I aint no foo'. :D
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My local Publix and Kroger’s never have mark down stuff! Been looking like crazy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Early bird gets the hickory smoked bison, brotha.
Your best shot is early, otherwise people like me
beat you to it.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Brisket, and ribs (baby back or St. Louis) for that matter, has gotten crazy pricey the past few years. My go-to barbecue is now whole Boston butt. Bone-in, of course!

Overnight rub, about 8 hrs at 250 until it reaches 190, then do the old "Texas cheat" for another 1-1.5 hrs until it reaches 210.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:42 am Early bird gets the hickory smoked bison, brotha.
beat you to it.
Man I have to sit down and eat with you at some point!! Just don’t tell me the meat was in clearance!!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:42 am Early bird gets the hickory smoked bison, brotha.
beat you to it.
You mean the mall walking exercise crowd that hangs out by their mailbox first of the month for that SSI & Pension check? (I was a pt mailman in a couple of college breaks so I know that crowd well)

But I don’t like to lose a deal so now that you’ve told me I’m going to make some older chizzlers unhappy.

I did but a massive can of pinto beans for $0.62 the other day…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Put this in the hobart thread but wanted to share here as well

https://www.eater.com/22735468/best-res ... s-new-york
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

We do our chicken leg quarters the same way Everytime. I poke small holes in the skin and marinate them overnight in Spiedie marinade. I grill them on my cast iron Lodge pan. Keeping them off the open flame prevents flare ups. Sear them on both sides then indirect heat for 45 minutes. Who needs chicken wings anyway?
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”