All Things China

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: All Things China

Post by a fan »

I always assume you're all over the foreign policy stuff. Should have used citations in my first post, my bad.

Made some tweets...among them "“Of course China wants to make a trade deal,” Trump wrote. “Let them work humanely with Hong Kong first!”

These tweets elicited a pretty terse response, and clearly are not helping the situation:

Asked Wednesday about an earlier Hong Kong tweet by Trump, the ministry said: “Hong Kong affairs are purely China’s internal affairs. We again urge the U.S. to immediately stop meddling in Hong Kong affairs.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -trade-war
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:52 pm I always assume you're all over the foreign policy stuff. Should have used citations in my first post, my bad.

Made some tweets...among them "“Of course China wants to make a trade deal,” Trump wrote. “Let them work humanely with Hong Kong first!”

These tweets elicited a pretty terse response, and clearly are not helping the situation:

Asked Wednesday about an earlier Hong Kong tweet by Trump, the ministry said: “Hong Kong affairs are purely China’s internal affairs. We again urge the U.S. to immediately stop meddling in Hong Kong affairs.”

Wow. That's some tough stuff. That could have easily been aimed at Congressional buttinskis.

All I've seen is Trump encouraging that it be resolved safely & humanely & expressing his confidence in Pres Xi to resolve it.
China responding that they expect us to keep our word & not get involved.
Tonight Trump said he's Pres of the US, not Pres of the World.
Not exactly Obama like rhetoric from Mt Olympus.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:22 am
a fan wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:52 pm I always assume you're all over the foreign policy stuff. Should have used citations in my first post, my bad.

Wow. That's some tough stuff. That could have easily been aimed at Congressional buttinskis.

All I've seen is Trump encouraging that it be resolved safely & humanely & expressing his confidence in Pres Xi to resolve it.
As always, the Trump apologist.

Trump is simply trying to distract from the utter failure of his trade policy. He holds no actual beliefs with regard to Hong Kong, nor human rights of any kind anywhere for that matter, nor any longer term perspective of the US-China relationship.

It's all transactional (for a domestic audience) and in the moment.
Whaddya want to bet that one of the Fox hosts said something about Trump needing to support the protesters?

I'm not debating whether the US President actually should support the protesters, just that I don't buy for a moment that Trump actually cares or that he has any sort of actual comprehension of the implications of his various actions with China. He's lost all credibility on this and most any other foreign affairs issue.
a fan

Post by a fan »

That's nowhere near the tone of the Chinese message, and you know it.
Wow. That's some tough stuff. That could have easily been aimed at Congressional buttinskis.[/quote]
You didn't read the my citation. it was a direct response to those Trump tweets.
old salt wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:22 am All I've seen is Trump encouraging that it be resolved safely & humanely & expressing his confidence in Pres Xi to resolve it.
That's nowhere near the tone of the Chinese message, and you know it. Trump did precisely what you didn't want him to do.

And instead of finally criticizing him for it, you diminish the exchange. Pretty clear the words don't matter to you----it's who is delivering them that matters.
old salt wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:22 am Not exactly Obama like rhetoric from Mt Olympus.
Where's this lofty Obama speech you're referring to?
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:12 am

Trump is simply trying to distract from the utter failure of his trade policy. He holds no actual beliefs with regard to Hong Kong, nor human rights of any kind anywhere for that matter, nor any longer term perspective of the US-China relationship.

Whaddya want to bet that one of the Fox hosts said something about Trump needing to support the protesters?

I'm not debating whether the US President actually should support the protesters, just that I don't buy for a moment that Trump actually cares or that he has any sort of actual comprehension of the implications of his various actions with China. He's lost all credibility on this and most any other foreign affairs issue.
You've got your MSNBC talking points down pat. After the Mueller - Russia collusion hoax turned into an exploding cigar, it was on to trying to hang Epstein on Trump, which fizzled after Acosta was fragged. Now everything that Trump does is a diversion from the coming recession. Say it as much as possible to chip away a public & consumer confidence in the economy.

Trump's trying to get a trade deal with Chuna & is refusing to be turned into a meddling human rights scold.
old salt

Post by old salt »

{reposted below, with quote format corrections}
Last edited by old salt on Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:49 am That's nowhere near the tone of the Chinese message, and you know it.

You didn't read the my citation. it was a direct response to those Trump tweets.
old salt wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:22 am All I've seen is Trump encouraging that it be resolved safely & humanely & expressing his confidence in Pres Xi to resolve it.
That's nowhere near the tone of the Chinese message, and you know it. Trump did precisely what you didn't want him to do.

And instead of finally criticizing him for it, you diminish the exchange. Pretty clear the words don't matter to you----it's who is delivering them that matters.
old salt wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:22 am Not exactly Obama like rhetoric from Mt Olympus.
Where's this lofty Obama speech you're referring to?
Trump is trying to use China's Hong Kong problems for leverage.
Reminding them of the global damage it could bring, while publicly praising Xi & calling for a safe resolution.
Neither China nor the US is making threats. Sanctions have not been mentioned.

Lofty Obama speech ? Cairo, for starters, & every " long arc of history " scolding which followed.
a fan

Post by a fan »

China obviously doesn't share your charitable assessment of Trump's tweets, and that's all that matters, correct? The message that is received, correct?

I thought you meant Obama made lofty speeches attacking China's human rights. My mistake. Obama made no such speech with/at Xi.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:56 pm China obviously doesn't share your charitable assessment of Trump's tweets, and that's all that matters, correct? The message that is received, correct?

I thought you meant Obama made lofty speeches attacking China's human rights. My mistake. Obama made no such speech with/at Xi.
I'm still waiting for your citation of China's responses to Trump's tweets, upon which you are basing your assessment.
This is not a Trump tweet :
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1R305T
Trump's tweets are conciliatory & face saving for his friend Xi, while State & Congress members deliver a harder edged message.
a fan

Post by a fan »

From the Bloomberg citation I gave you.

China’s foreign ministry didn’t immediately respond to a faxed request for comment Thursday. Asked Wednesday about an earlier Hong Kong tweet by Trump, the ministry said: “Hong Kong affairs are purely China’s internal affairs. We again urge the U.S. to immediately stop meddling in Hong Kong affairs.”

That's China's Foreign Ministry's response to Trump's tweets.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:46 pm From the Bloomberg citation I gave you.

China’s foreign ministry didn’t immediately respond to a faxed request for comment Thursday. Asked Wednesday about an earlier Hong Kong tweet by Trump, the ministry said: “Hong Kong affairs are purely China’s internal affairs. We again urge the U.S. to immediately stop meddling in Hong Kong affairs.”

As I said -- that's pretty mild pushback. Was it a press release they issued or just a response to a Bloomberg reporter's question ?
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:51 pm

As I said -- that's pretty mild pushback. Was it a press release they issued or just a response to a Bloomberg reporter's question ?
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli ... d=22670555
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Response to a question, so far as I can tell. I guess it's mild (don't know what their normal communications look like), but certainly they're paying attention to what Trump says about Hong Kong and China.

Now that it's an election year, it seems Trump's tweets are all focused toward domestic targets. And that's fine by me. His tweets at foreign targets scare me, frankly. Some of the recipients are more unbalanced than Trump is.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:12 am

You've got your MSNBC talking points down pat. After the Mueller - Russia collusion hoax turned into an exploding cigar, it was on to trying to hang Epstein on Trump, which fizzled after Acosta was fragged. Now everything that Trump does is a diversion from the coming recession. Say it as much as possible to chip away a public & consumer confidence in the economy.

Trump's trying to get a trade deal with Chuna & is refusing to be turned into a meddling human rights scold.
Typical Trumpist nonsense.
The Report was very damning and you know it. You're not really that stupid, you just pretend to be.

And excuse me, hang Epstein on Trump?
No more than Clinton or any other jerks who played patsy with Epstein. This is quite likely to rack up more Dem scalps than R's, though it looks like he was an equal opportunity corrupter. Beyond the sex stuff, look to the money. Best guess is that he made his fortune helping super rich folks hide or wash their money and/or blackmailing those whose money he found hidden (his expertise at Bear was uncovering hidden assets).

Acosta paid the price for a very crooked system being exposed, of which he was one small, but important piece.

Yes, Trump (or at least those rational in the WH) is desperate for a 'win' as he's had zero to date on any front. The Chinese have him by the proverbial balls, so expect them to squeeze. They may well give him something to claim down the stretch, but don't believe for a moment that it will be substantive or lasting.

Yes, there's a 'coming recession'...of Trump's own making, the knucklehead.

The 'easy to win trade war' is creating a worldwide slowdown based on tremendous uncertainty and disruption to well oiled trading patterns. The notion that we're immune is ridiculous.

Couple that with the 'sugar high' of the tax cuts, the realization that they only really caused massive increases in deficits and debt, and we're faced with the recognition that tax rates will have to be adjusted back up, inevitably. Only the idiots believed otherwise.

Apparently you're one of them, too?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

BTW, China's a serious, long term strategic issue.

What annoys me the most is the stupidity of short term bluster about them, pretending to be tough, but in reality exposing fear and weakness.

The 'China issue' requires long term, strategic investments that leverage the best creative capabilities of our system, while recognizing that we also have inherent weaknesses (most notably our short term political processes).

We can compete with an emergent powerhouse China, but we need to stop thinking short term.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:45 pm Yes, there's a 'coming recession'...of Trump's own making, the knucklehead.
#QFP
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:52 pm BTW, China's a serious, long term strategic issue.

What annoys me the most is the stupidity of short term bluster about them, pretending to be tough, but in reality exposing fear and weakness.

The 'China issue' requires long term, strategic investments that leverage the best creative capabilities of our system, while recognizing that we also have inherent weaknesses (most notably our short term political processes).

We can compete with an emergent powerhouse China, but we need to stop thinking short term.
You are like dust in the wind....help me understand where Trump evah said this is short term?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:14 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:45 pm Yes, there's a 'coming recession'...of Trump's own making, the knucklehead.
#QFP
I dunno what means, but my guess is it's not complimentary? ;)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Quoted for posterity
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:16 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:52 pm BTW, China's a serious, long term strategic issue.

You are like dust in the wind....help me understand where Trump evah said this is short term?
I didn't say that Trump claimed that it is a 'short term' issue, just that he has numerous times said that he (alone) can fix it, no problemo.

Trade wars are easy to win. Quick. Bring them to their knees.

Idiot.

What I AM saying is that the issue is serious, but it requires long term strategic investments, not short term bluster.

The Chinese are long term oriented, very strategic, with the benefit of a system that enables them to withstand short term pain without loss of control. They are able to swiftly implement policies, including heavy investments in infrastructure both in China and all over the world. Heavy investment in building the human capital and technologies of the future.

We have the advantage of being far more creative and adaptive; we need to leverage these advantages, but also recognize that we're in a global race requiring long term strategic investments.

Right now, we've been sitting fat and happy, pleased with our world dominance, failing to make those strategic investments.

And this BS policy of trade battles are a huge waste of energy. All bluster.

Return to “POLITICS”