JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:05 pm This is what fact checking & research before publication looks like.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... ump-resort
More conflating......
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

dislaxxic wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:44 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:24 pmIf we were discussing Obama, or anyone with a D by their name, you'd be on here foaming at the mouth, lecturing us on ethics and codes of conduct, and the trust with the American people.
Exactly why Old Salt Fatigue is every bit as alive and pervasive as is Trump Fatigue. Generally true of the GOP in general as well, which is why their days, as any kind of viable, believable players, is numbered. Every one of them.

Well, of course, OS hasn't really been a credible "player" for some time...but we read the posts kinda like we watch NASCAR, waiting for the next smoldering wreck.

I mean that in the most respectful way possible, for a fellow laxer... :D .
My apologies for burdening you with facts.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:11 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:05 pm This is what fact checking & research before publication looks like.

More conflating......
.:lol:. ...you didn't even have time to read it. Don't let facts dispel your conspiracy theory.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 pm
Our AF bases are in the UK for specific missions. They are not set up to provide transient service to large transport acft 24/7/365. How many of the 6 even have runways ?
And you think this makes sense? You're seriously asking me if an AIR FORCE base has a runway??

I think your claims of a "hollowed out military" could be solved in a matter of months by someone who knows how to manage assets.....at about half of what we're spending today.

We have six bases we're paying for----and you're telling me that we can't land our F ing planes at five of them? What the F do we have those other bases for? "Oh no, not THOSE planes. Only SPECIAL planes can land there. What the firetruck are you talking about?

One. Have one stupid base in the UK that can handle all air traffic. That's all you need.

"Do they even have runways?" Jeezus F, man. :lol: ;)

And yes, I know this isn't your own personal fault. But geez, man.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:13 pm

More conflating......
.:lol:. ...you didn't even have time to read it. Don't let facts dispel your conspiracy theory.
Its not about "propping up a resort".... the point is that government employees should not stay in a Trump property while on a government errand.

https://www.booking.com/searchresults.h ... &from_sf=1
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

HooDat wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:31 pm
CU88 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:17 pm
Trinity wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:08 pm Trump fired John Bolton today. Not on board for the Afghan “deal.”
Trump will soon be on his 4th national security adviser in 2 years and 8 months.
I really don't know what to say about folks with leftward inclinations criticizing Trump's firing of Bolton. The left was apoplectic when he was nominated - Bolton was (properly) castigated as warmongering neocon of the highest order, a man virtually bought and paid for by the MIC.

We should be glad he is out.
How heck up is this White House? John Bolton is an idiot and a monster and I’m a little worried he’s leaving.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:15 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 pm
Our AF bases are in the UK for specific missions. They are not set up to provide transient service to large transport acft 24/7/365. How many of the 6 even have runways ?
And you think this makes sense? You're seriously asking me if an AIR FORCE base has a runway??

I think your claims of a "hollowed out military" could be solved in a matter of months by someone who knows how to manage assets.....at about half of what we're spending today.

We have six bases we're paying for----and you're telling me that we can't land our F ing planes at five of them? What the F do we have those other bases for? "Oh no, not THOSE planes. Only SPECIAL planes can land there. What the firetruck are you talking about?

One. Have one stupid base in the UK that can handle all air traffic. That's all you need.

"Do they even have runways?" Jeezus F, man. :lol: ;)

And yes, I know this isn't your own personal fault. But geez, man.
Good grief. You're even lazier than Nasty Natasha.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... ed_Kingdom
Post Cold War drawdown

The bases at Bentwaters, Woodbridge, Chicksands, Greenham Common, Sculthorpe, Wethersfield and Upper Heyford were closed by the end of 1993. Alconbury's flightline was closed and its base support functions were taken over by RAF Molesworth. However, in 2015 it was announced that Molesworth, Mildenhall and Alconbury are to be closed,[1] leaving RAF Lakenheath the only operating USAFE airbase in the UK, which will continue to host the 48th Fighter Wing.

The USAF also maintains a communications station at RAF Croughton, as well as a jointly operated communications and intelligence support station with the RAF at RAF Menwith Hill.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:17 pm

More conflating......
Its not about "propping up a resort".... the point is that government employees should not stay in a Trump property while on a government errand.

They probably won't be in the future, That does not support the accusations in the MSM that the USAF is corrupt.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:28 pm

More conflating......

They probably won't be in the future, That does not support the accusations in the MSM that the USAF is corrupt.
I don't care what the MSM says. I know right from right.. and wrong from wrong. You do to.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:30 pm

More conflating......

I don't care what the MSM says. I know right from right.. and wrong from wrong. You do to.
It looks like the USAF procedures to increase stopovers in Prestwick were put in place before Trump was elected.

The fact that some (still unknown) % of aircrews lodged at a Trump property (probably when closer lodging was full), likely went unnoticed, as operations continued as usual.

I strongly suspect that if any high ranking officers were aware of the Trump connection, they would have stopped it, unless lodging near Prestwick is so limited that not using Turnberry would have limited the ability to use Prestwick.

Flag Officers don't need these kind of hassles & will do everything they can to avoid them, if they see them coming.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:43 pm

More conflating......

It looks like the USAF procedures to increase stopovers in Prestwick were put in place before Trump was elected.

The fact that some (still unknown) % of aircrews lodged at a Trump property (probably when closer lodging was full), likely went unnoticed, as operations continued as usual.

I strongly suspect that if any high ranking officers were aware of the Trump connection, they would have stopped it, unless lodging near Prestwick is so limited that not using Turnberry would have limited the ability to use Prestwick.

Flag Officers don't need these kind of hassles & will do everything they can to avoid them, if they see them coming.
Don’t care. Someone dropped the ball. Fed government shouldn’t give the appearance of lining the pockets of the POTUS.
“I wish you would!”
LandM

Post by LandM »

afan,
I can assure that Sunnyvale AF station which became Onizuka Air Force base - the Blue Cube did not have a runway. We used Moffett field (spelling) as the runway which flew P-3's hunting subs and that is not an AF craft......I could name a few other AF bases that did not have a runway - might want to look at LA Air Force Station or Vandenburg (not operational at the time)- so you swung and missed big time and I have not even left CA yet :D

MD,
My point was that for all we know the Donald could own stock in all those companies - you gonna make the E-4 not buy their product as that helps the stock price.

It is interesting being taught ethics out here by folks who never went TDY, never spent half their time on the road trying to find cheap ways to budget their day and enjoy themselves along the way. Some of these kids are not even old enough to drink in a bar - but they are now supposed to be responsible enough to know that Trump owns the joint and STAY away - you guys are pitching softballs.
Typical Lax Dad

LandM wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:02 pm afan,
I can assure that Sunnyvale AF station which became Onizuka Air Force base - the Blue Cube did not have a runway. We used Moffett field (spelling) as the runway which flew P-3's hunting subs and that is not an AF craft......I could name a few other AF bases that did not have a runway - might want to look at LA Air Force Station or Vandenburg (not operational at the time)- so you swung and missed big time and I have not even left CA yet :D

MD,
My point was that for all we know the Donald could own stock in all those companies - you gonna make the E-4 not buy their product as that helps the stock price.

It is interesting being taught ethics out here by folks who never went TDY, never spent half their time on the road trying to find cheap ways to budget their day and enjoy themselves along the way. Some of these kids are not even old enough to drink in a bar - but they are now supposed to be responsible enough to know that Trump owns the joint and STAY away - you guys are pitching softballs.
It’s not about the young kids. Their bosses should know better.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:02 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:05 am So, in in 2014 Trump personally negotiated a deal with Prestwick Airport...not as POTUS, just as a businessman.

No problem there presumably, but what was the quid pro quo?
Whatever it was, Trump knows what it is.

For instance, is he getting a kickback on gas revenues, or is there some other benefit?
Doesn't make sense that he simply gave a discount at his resort for crews out of the goodness of his heart.
That's just not Trump.
But if that's all it was, no sweat.

Again, whatever the deal made, as a business man no problem.
It's not that complicated. It's a straightforward business decision. Offering rooms at a discount generates revenue sufficient to cover overhead from rooms that would otherwise be empty.

Prestwick's survival as an airport was necessary for Turnberry's success. Anything they could do to make it a more attractive destination was in their mutual best interest.

It's a rational, ethical business arrangement, put in place well before Trump was President.

It's also in the US Air Force's interest to have Prestwick survive & be available 24/7/365 for a myriad of operational reasons I've attempted to explain.
Bunch of assumptions you're making there, Salty.
Heck, you may even have it right that offering some rooms at a discounted rate actually helped Prestwick's "survival" and, thus Turnberry's "success". Not sure I understand the math on that, but hey, maybe that's all this will prove to be.

Have to wonder why Trump himself "negotiated" a deal of such penny ante size...and it's quite the head scratcher as to how anyone could think some discounted rooms 20 miles away would have a material impact, but stranger things have been known to happen.

However, UNFORTUNATELY, we simply can't assume that anything Trump does is honest, much less "ethical".
We wish we could, but we simply can't do so.

That's the problem.
Stop blaming that problem on anyone but Trump and those who put him in office.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

LandM wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:02 pm
MD,

I have no idea what you're trying to say, LandM.
Are you saying that if Trump had liquidated his properties and put them in a blind trust that wouldn't alleviate this issue?

You do understand that had he done so, he'd have not known what the investments were inside the trust and couldn't direct or reward those who directed revenue to him, right? Or that anyone else would know for that matter, right?

A prudent fiduciary managing the blind trust would have put the assets in a balanced pool across various asset classes with no particular concentration and with portfolio effect reducing risk, including assets that hedge against one another in various economic climates. No one should be looking for home runs in a blind trust, just capital preservation and normal market returns.

No one on this thread is upset with the ethics of the youngsters in uniform. That's ALL in your imagination.
Not sure why you won't let that bone go.

Their bosses and most especially the President is another matter altogether.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:22 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:05 am So, in in 2014 Trump personally negotiated a deal with Prestwick Airport...not as POTUS, just as a businessman.

For instance, is he getting a kickback on gas revenues, or is there some other benefit?
Doesn't make sense that he simply gave a discount at his resort for crews out of the goodness of his heart.
That's just not Trump.

It's not that complicated. It's a straightforward business decision. Offering rooms at a discount generates revenue sufficient to cover overhead from rooms that would otherwise be empty.

Prestwick's survival as an airport was necessary for Turnberry's success. Anything they could do to make it a more attractive destination was in their mutual best interest.

It's a rational, ethical business arrangement, put in place well before Trump was President.

It's also in the US Air Force's interest to have Prestwick survive & be available 24/7/365 for a myriad of operational reasons I've attempted to explain.
Heck, you may even have it right that offering some rooms at a discounted rate actually helped Prestwick's "survival" and, thus Turnberry's "success". Not sure I understand the math on that, but hey, maybe that's all this will prove to be.

Have to wonder why Trump himself "negotiated" a deal of such penny ante size...and it's quite the head scratcher as to how anyone could think some discounted rooms 20 miles away would have a material impact, but stranger things have been known to happen.

However, UNFORTUNATELY, we simply can't assume that anything Trump does is honest, much less "ethical".

That's the problem.
Not as big an assumption as yours about fuel kickbacks.

Apparently Trump calculated that Prestwick's continued operation was critical to Turnberry's viability, making it worthy of his personal attention.
It's not "penny ante" if it was critical to the viability of the entire enterprise.

This is as absurd as thinking Obama's mama dummied up his Nigerian birth certificate so he could grow up to be President.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:48 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:43 pm

More conflating......

Don’t care. Someone dropped the ball. Fed government shouldn’t give the appearance of lining the pockets of the POTUS.
Let's be clear, Trump "dropped the ball". If he wasn't willing to liquidate his properties and put them into a blind trust, he should have issued an Executive Order prohibiting any government agency or employee from doing business with any of his properties.

That's on him.

That said, a whole bunch of others should have pressed him for that Order...if he refused, then they should have been willing to bear the responsibility for making such an order for their own agency absent that Order. If he didn't like it and fired them, so be it.

But folks get eager to please...
a fan

Post by a fan »

You think I'm the problem here?

I"m a taxpayer, my friend. Call me crazy, but I don't want to pay money for an overseas Naval base where the boats can't dock, or an Air Force base where our planes can't do their landing and taking off thing. What's next? Marine Barracks with no place to sleep, and nowhere to stash our Marines?

So tell me, what are those 5 Air Force bases with no landing strip for? Don't ya, I don't know, need some freaking planes to call it an Air Force base? We're paying for 5 separate pieces of land----and NONE of them can land a freaking transport plane? If one can't----ok. Two? Yeah,ok. But you're telling me that it's not a tiny problem that we don't have one single----what are they called again? Oh, right-----AIR FORCE BASE that can handle, you know.....our Air Force?

Is this a joke us civilian cats don't get?

I feel like I walked into a George Carlin sketch where you park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway. :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:34 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:22 pm

That's just not Trump.

That's the problem.
Not as big an assumption as yours about fuel kickbacks.

Apparently Trump calculated that Prestwick's continued operation was critical to Turnberry's viability, making it worthy of his personal attention.
It's not "penny ante" if it was critical to the viability of the entire enterprise.

This is as absurd as thinking Obama's mama dummied up his Nigerian birth certificate so he could grow up to be President.
Whoa, I'm not making any assumptions other than to acknowledge that Trump is dishonest and corrupt...so, the questions need to be asked.

We can't ASSUME honesty with him.

But hey, are you really imagining that Prestwick's viability was materially influenced by some room and golf discounts 20 miles away???

Now...diverting flights to Prestwick during his Presidency would have a material impact, but room discounts?

So, the questions are UNFORTUNATELY reasonable.

Your assumptions are not.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:41 pm
You think I'm the problem here?

I"m a taxpayer, my friend. Call me crazy, but I don't want to pay money for an overseas Naval base where the boats can't dock, or an Air Force base where our planes can't do their landing and taking off thing. What's next? Marine Barracks with no place to sleep, and nowhere to stash our Marines?

So tell me, what are those 5 Air Force bases with no landing strip for? Don't ya, I don't know, need some freaking planes to call it an Air Force base? We're paying for 5 separate pieces of land----and NONE of them can land a freaking transport plane? If one can't----ok. Two? Yeah,ok. But you're telling me that it's not a tiny problem that we don't have one single----what are they called again? Oh, right-----AIR FORCE BASE that can handle, you know.....our Air Force?

Is this a joke us civilian cats don't get?

I feel like I walked into a George Carlin sketch where you park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway. :lol:
Communications. Intel analysis.
We're not paying for the land. We're guests of our UK ally & sharing their facilities.
Hint -- the " R " in front of the name.

Return to “POLITICS”