Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nrthcrosslax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by nrthcrosslax »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:32 am
nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:24 am When was the last time Hopkins won a big game while wearing black jerseys?
Was thinking the same thing. Maybe the overtime win at Penn State in 2016, if that qualifies as a big game (probably wouldn't have made the Big Ten tournament without it). The Jays tend to perform much better on the road in the blue jerseys. They should have burned the black unis after the debacle at Maryland in 2017.
Ever since they first got rolled out, I believe during the Seamon era, always bad luck. RIP Godfrey
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Interesting Petro tweet this morning. Not sure all's well in the nest. More Rapine like fallout coming?

https://twitter.com/CoachPetro43/status ... 5462037505
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nyjay wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:00 am Interesting Petro tweet this morning. Not sure all's well in the nest. More Rapine like fallout coming?

I thought the same thing. Maybe the peer leadership isn’t going as well as has been expressed previously.

One captain has been thrust into role that he’s not really equipped to be in. Colwell is a 3 at best and being asked to be a 1. Epstein is hurt but cleared to play but then pulled for poor performance. While Smith just quietly does his job. Senior leadership - Williams returned to his disappearing act. Concannon is back on the shelf.

Anyway strange video to share if all is well in Rome.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Bluejay-Fan wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:12 pm For the record, I didn’t see anyone saying fire the coach. I don’t think anyone here expects to happen during the season.

The question is whether the contract will be renewed, AFTER the season.

There are far differing opinions on that.

Our informed posters know what time of day it is.

Twatwaffles on Twitter pretending to be journalists do not.
WOMBAT! What's good, fam? How are you doing? Doubt you remember me from the LaxPower days, but I'm Bluejay-Fan. I used to post on LP often (started in 2006) and would put up lots of GIFs, links to Hop related articles, long-winded posts defending Petro, and I shared your affinity for the, let's just say, aesthetically pleasing views at XFinity Live! in Philly during the 2015 Final Four run. I hope you are doing well.

Main reason I created a FanLax account today is to hopefully clear up any confusion and to take the temperature down a bit. I am one of those "Twatwaffles" (I did LOL at that one) at College Crosse (@Eri_Barrister). I started writing there in 2015. I wanted to start a Hopkins Lax page for SB Nation but the managers there respectfully declined (they didn't think there was enough of a market, they obviously never read LaxPower) and they instead suggested I join up with CC. I took over the site right before the 2016 season after the former manager stepped down and I helped to form the team that we have there now and the ones who are no longer with the site.

Indeed! I do not hold myself out to be a Wall St. Journal reporter. I'm just a lawyer/JHU alum who loves Hopkins lacrosse. The site was gonna be shut down after the former manager moved on and I didn't want to see it go, so I stepped up to take over. Most of my co-writers at the site are also part-timers, but we did have several "real" reporters like Marisa Ingemi (now a reporter with the Boston Herald), Joe Keegan (now an analyst with the PLL), and my boy Chris (now with ESPN).

If I may, respectfully, defend the site, we have broken a couple dozen stories about college hires/transfers/pro-lacrosse news (mostly Chris' doing) and a couple long-form articles that, I guess, would be considered real journalism where we either used FOIA records or court filings to unearth information that was previously unknown (links below!). No one is going to mistake us for the Washington Post, but we're proud of the stuff we have put up in the past. We certainly aren't doing it for the money, we get a nominal monthly stipend, but we love the college game, have a lot of fun on our podcast, and enjoy being in the mix.

Anyway, I saw that this little brouhaha started up a couple days ago and just wanted to clear the air. I used to run the main Twitter account solo but after Chris stepped down we decided to open it up to allow more voices to use the account. I didn't put the Tweet in question up, but I can assure you there was no malice involved. We routinely make similar jokes about Syracuse.com posters after an Orange loss. Full disclosure, I did make a similar joke on my personal account, but again, it was all in good fun.

I haven't posted since FanLax started because I've been a bit busy with my real job and helping to co-manage CC. But I loved the old LaxPower site and always enjoyed the back-and-forth banter there and the camaraderie among the posters. I know things can sometimes get heated on message boards, so I wanted put a (digital) face to a name and hopefully clear the air, as I've enjoyed the hundreds of hours I've spent reading/writing with you all in the past. I've always enjoyed your posts in particular and found you to be one of the most passionate Hop fans on the board. I will try to post here more often now that I have an account. Feel free to instant message me here if you ever wanna reach out. Shout out to the guys who started/run FanLax, you guys are doing a great job.

Anyway, this post is much too long as it is. Hopefully the boys bounce back against UNC this weekend.

Email records show Florida State is interested in adding lacrosse: https://www.collegecrosse.com/2018/7/9/ ... n-thrasher

Atlanta Blaze Owner Peter Trematerra Sued Major League Lacrosse Back In April: https://www.collegecrosse.com/2017/11/1 ... avid-gross
Informative post. Chris J was a loss for that site, it has fallen since he left and it's no longer an ancillary read for me. Dont know if there is plan beyond social but could be built up with more knowledgeable contributors. IL has a professional approach and provides insight . Listened to a few CC podcasts at start and it was amateur hour with more giggles than content. At least graphics are still good . Good luck
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

nyjay wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:00 am Interesting Petro tweet this morning. Not sure all's well in the nest. More Rapine like fallout coming?

Uh oh.jpg
Uh oh.jpg (18.4 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Or maybe he just posted it because it resonated with message and mission the team has been tasked with this year?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:04 pm Or many he just posted it because it resonated with message and mission the team has been tasked with this year?
+1
flalax22 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:10 am One captain has been thrust into role that he’s not really equipped to be in. Colwell is a 3 at best and being asked to be a 1.
What is the basis for this statement? - I just went backed and looked at the first half highlights of Loyola. Colwell was only in the neighborhood near Lindley on the last of his 3 first half goals - one time Lindsey torched Lily - you absolutely needed a slide there - and the other time it was McManus. Wouldn't a 1 be covering Lindley? On that third goal it almost looked like half the team was thinking it might be a zone or at the very least Hopkins was way packed in - DiPietro was the one who really lost sight of Lindley - Colwell saw it but couldn't get there - great fake by Lindley. Except for the offsides fast break goal by Lindley he was no where near the other Loyola goals either. Strange to pick on him

BTW - no idea why I said Lindsey a million times - I know its Lindley
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:04 pm

Or maybe he just posted it because it resonated with message and mission the team has been tasked with this year?
This clip/message problably would have had same impact if presented to the team during film rather than tweeted to general public . Little to gain from airing out any dirty laundry.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:25 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:04 pm Or many he just posted it because it resonated with message and mission the team has been tasked with this year?
+1
flalax22 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:10 am One captain has been thrust into role that he’s not really equipped to be in. Colwell is a 3 at best and being asked to be a 1.
What is the basis for this statement? - I just went backed and looked at the first half highlights of Loyola. Colwell was only in the neighborhood near Lindsey on the last of his 3 first half goals - one time Lindsey torched Lily - you absolutely needed a slide there - and the other time it was McManus. Wouldn't a 1 be covering Lindsey? On that third goal it almost looked like half the team was thinking it might be a zone or at the very least Hopkins was way packed in - DiPietro was the one who really lost sight of Lindsey - Colwell saw it but couldn't get there - great fake by Lindsey. Except for the offsides fast break goal by Lindsey he was no where near the other Loyola goals either. Strange to pick on him
I’m not picking on him at all. I’m not getting into his specific play, physical attributes or lacrosse IQ. Suffice to say, I’m saying he’s not a number one cover guy and this coaching staff didn’t think so last year or this year until a player didn’t return in the fall and another bailed at Christmas.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:50 pm I’m not picking on him at all. I’m not getting into his specific play, physical attributes or lacrosse IQ. Suffice to say, I’m saying he’s not a number one cover guy and this coaching staff didn’t think so last year or this year until a player didn’t return in the fall and another bailed at Christmas.
But what I am saying is - I don't think the staff has necessarily identified him as the #1 cover guy. If Lindley is the Loyola attackman that draws the #1 pole I didn't see Colwell anywhere near exclusively on him at all - looked more like McManus was the guy. We'll certainly find out the next two weeks as 2 1st team AA's come calling.
stupefied wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm This clip/message probably would have had same impact if presented to the team during film rather than tweeted to general public . Little to gain from airing out any dirty laundry.
I don't know that his tweets are put out there for the team for the most part. From what I know about DP - he's not into subliminal/indirect messages to the team. If he doesn't feel the squad or some individuals are not doing what is required he's a pretty direct guy - I don't think he needs a Nebraska football player to craft his message. I used this phrase before but he has woven a narrative externally about peer leadership/accountability/performance/culture etc. - this is another supporting example and he was first to point out that a player showed him this. He's telling folks outside the walls that he and his players are committed to this narrative.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:04 pm
flalax22 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:50 pm I’m not picking on him at all. I’m not getting into his specific play, physical attributes or lacrosse IQ. Suffice to say, I’m saying he’s not a number one cover guy and this coaching staff didn’t think so last year or this year until a player didn’t return in the fall and another bailed at Christmas.
But what I am saying is - I don't think the staff has necessarily identified him as the #1 cover guy. If Lindley is the Loyola attackman that draws the #1 pole I didn't see Colwell anywhere near exclusively on him at all - looked more like McManus was the guy. We'll certainly find out the next two weeks as 2 1st team AA's come calling.
stupefied wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm This clip/message probably would have had same impact if presented to the team during film rather than tweeted to general public . Little to gain from airing out any dirty laundry.
I don't know that his tweets are put out there for the team for the most part. From what I know about DP - he's not into subliminal/indirect messages to the team. If he doesn't feel the squad or some individuals are not doing what is required he's a pretty direct guy - I don't think he needs a Nebraska football player to craft his message. I used this phrase before but he has woven a narrative externally about peer leadership/accountability/performance/culture etc. - this is another supporting example and he was first to point out that a player showed him this. He's telling folks outside the walls that he and his players are committed to this narrative.
I don't think the video is anything more than demonstrating that athletes at top programs go through this requirement of dedication and that you need to buy in. It could be directed to someone specific but I doubt it. Petro has never shown that he isn't willing to show his emotions or be direct to someone.

Overall, I think it is...Meh.

Seriously, when did I become the non-pessimist on the board? Not that I think the program is in a great place mind you but most of the last 12-13 pages of posts since Loyola is navel gazing. We will know June 1st what happens and where the program is going.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

stupefied wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm
Got it. Yes the next few weeks will provide the answer to that
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

So much drama for 2 games into the season.

About the "buying in" thing, who knows? Every D1 team in every sport in the country has guys who were great in high school but didn't have the effort or desire to succeed in D1. Every team. D1 is a different beast. It's a full-time job and then some. If Petro is being honest and trying to either motivate those guys or have them face reality, I have no problem with that.

About the Loyola game, just look to some of the results yesterday for further proof that February lacrosse, which shouldn't exist, can be weird. On offense, without Epstein and Concannon, there are going to be games like this, particularly early on. On defense, the play overall was very good but the downfall were plays like we've seen the past couple of years: slides that were either too early or guys going into no-man's land, spotty SSDM play. None of these were evident in the Towson game, so I'll assume, until proven otherwise, that this can be cleaned up.

Re: Colwell, I don't think anyone is under the impression that he's a #1 cover guy. It's not his game, has never been, even going back to HS. Not sure what that has to do with being a good captain and leader. McManus is clearly the #1 cover guy, mostly because his footwork suits the role. Much more so than Rapine's, in fact. Let's see how it goes.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Anyone know where Taite Cattoni ended up?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:32 am
nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:24 am When was the last time Hopkins won a big game while wearing black jerseys?
Was thinking the same thing. Maybe the overtime win at Penn State in 2016, if that qualifies as a big game (probably wouldn't have made the Big Ten tournament without it). The Jays tend to perform much better on the road in the blue jerseys. They should have burned the black unis after the debacle at Maryland in 2017.
(Crawley OT goal in a game Penn State never led.) Plus, the light blues just look better, and look more like JHU.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:54 pm Anyone know where Taite Cattoni ended up?
From his Twitter account it seems like he's playing Jr A box in Ontario.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Try as I might, I just cannot see it your way. Personally, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Far TOO public! Smells like trying to quelch a mutiny from my perspective.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

GSP wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:18 pm Try as I might, I just cannot see it your way. Personally, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Far TOO public! Smells like trying to quelch a mutiny from my perspective
Fair enough - it's what makes the world go round - but what's the other shoe? He's going to kick more kids off the team after an early season meh performance against a darn good team at their place in challenging weather? And he's paving the way by tweeting out that snippet? How is that supposed to squelch a mutiny if there was one? If I am a player and I am sick of his message and ready to storm the castle or hit the highway of my own accord my coach tweeting out a football offensive lineman saying the exact same thing the coach has been saying for the past nine months is not affecting me one way or another. To date, Petro has 4,728 followers - probably 2/3rds never even saw the video. Not really that public. He just tweeted out a Tom Crean quote "If your coach is demanding, detailed and pushing you to play harder, they are raising your standards. Pay it forward by raising others." Let's pull that one apart. It's what his twitter feed is - motivational snippets. God knows I have been wrong before and maybe he resigns tomorrow but I guess nothing to see here.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

BTW - '06 and maybe Wombat just got a wish - maybe not the one they were hoping for but (sorry I can't post the link right now) the latest Homewood Stories video is about the Pep Band
GSP

Post by GSP »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:56 pm
GSP wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:18 pm Try as I might, I just cannot see it your way. Personally, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Far TOO public! Smells like trying to quelch a mutiny from my perspective
Fair enough - it's what makes the world go round - but what's the other shoe? He's going to kick more kids off the team after an early season meh performance against a darn good team at their place in challenging weather? And he's paving the way by tweeting out that snippet? How is that supposed to squelch a mutiny if there was one? If I am a player and I am sick of his message and ready to storm the castle or hit the highway of my own accord my coach tweeting out a football offensive lineman saying the exact same thing the coach has been saying for the past nine months is not affecting me one way or another. To date, Petro has 4,728 followers - probably 2/3rds never even saw the video. Not really that public. He just tweeted out a Tom Crean quote "If your coach is demanding, detailed and pushing you to play harder, they are raising your standards. Pay it forward by raising others." Let's pull that one apart. It's what his twitter feed is - motivational snippets. God knows I have been wrong before and maybe he resigns tomorrow but I guess nothing to see here.
Kicking "more kids off the team" absent some bad behavior or incident would be employment suicide. Tossing kids for the crime of "not buying in" would immediately raise very serious questions about the coaches' ability to effectively lead and motivate them. We can only hope that this is just a very ham handed attempt to get certain players to understand that he is "really" serious "this time" and hope for everyone's sake, that it works.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”