Conservatives and Liberals

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Conservatives and Liberals

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:33 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:21 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:14 pm Paywall got me.

Women initiate ~75% of all divorces, while also retaining children 90% of the time. I suppose the message is that men are just big pieces of sh!t. :lol: And woman want a free ride. ;)
Wow.
What do that stats tell you?
Not much, except that women are disproportionately dissatisfied with their relationships. I've met enough guys to know why this is. Your "women want a free ride" comment, even as a joke, is really stupefying. You really needed to have a daughter.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:16 pm

Women initiate ~75% of all divorces, while also retaining children 90% of the time. I suppose the message is that men are just big pieces of sh!t. :lol: And woman want a free ride. ;)
Wow.
Not much, except that women are disproportionately dissatisfied with their relationships. I've met enough guys to know why this is. Your "women want a free ride" comment, even as a joke, is really stupefying. You really needed to have a daughter.
Exactly I just said what you wouldn't. Couple that with them knowing full well (90% of the time) that they are getting the kids and alimony is exactly that....a free ride. It makes their decision far-far easier, no? Why do you think MEN have such a high suicide rate over 3x higher than women.....but who cares about them.

MD thinks he can merely highlight a singular article in red, then go and claim no fault divorce solved all these 'arguable' problems is grossly shortsighted. You two, are so quick to judge others based on a couple sentences.

If divorce WAS just a tad harder, maybe we would not have so many broken families, baby mama's with fatherless children. This is a place where social work is deeply needed....and no, not in lieu of the police being called for Domestic issues.

See the forest....not the red and blue.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:17 pm

Wow.
Exactly I just said what you wouldn't. Couple that with them knowing full well (90% of the time) that they are getting the kids and alimony is exactly that....a free ride. It makes their decision far-far easier, no? Why do you think MEN have such a high suicide rate over 3x higher than women.....but who cares about them.

MD thinks he can merely highlight a singular article in red, then go and claim no fault divorce solved all these 'arguable' problems is grossly shortsighted. You two, are so quick to judge others based on a couple sentences.

If divorce WAS just a tad harder, maybe we would not have so many broken families, baby mama's with fatherless children. This is a place where social work is deeply needed....and no, not in lieu of the police being called for Domestic issues.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Wow.

You’ll never believe me. But I don’t put marriage in a red or blue box. Candidly, your response is bizarre.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:16 pm

Wow.

You’ll never believe me. But I don’t put marriage in a red or blue box. Candidly, your response is bizarre.
Why is his response bizarre? Because it doesn't align with your values or its not what you "want to hear"? Now that's a bizarre response.

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:55 pm

Wow.

Why is his response bizarre? Because it doesn't align with your values or its not what you "want to hear"? Now that's a bizarre response.

Joe
Hey Joe…..what does divorce have to do with Red and Blue?

EDIT: I love the world wide web!!

https://sites.utexas.edu/contemporaryfa ... rce-rates/
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

What's bizarre is forcing someone to stay married when they want out of a marriage (man or woman).

Also, prenup.

Wonder if kids are better off growing up under a loveless, potentially abusive marriage where one or both spouses hate and resent each other vs. having divorced parents.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Wow.

Joe
Because it's odd for a conservative to want the Government to step in and force people to live together....or punish them financially for breaking up.

IMHO, it's full on bananas that a conservative would want the Government anywhere near your relationship with another person in the first place. Why the heck do we involve the Government in marriage? In what world is that something a small-government conservative would want?

"Hey Joe, this is Ted from the Government Interpersonal Relationship Office. You haven't called your friend, Steve, in over a week...and we were wondering what was going on? Oh, and by the way, your spouse's birthday is next week, so....".

Leave the .gov out of my marriage, thank you very much.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:17 pm Why do you think MEN have such a high suicide rate over 3x higher than women.....but who cares about them.
Because we're not taught coping skills, and don't talk to our friends about our problems the way women do.

And easy access to guns. (men are twice as likely to own a gun)
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:22 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:17 pm Why do you think MEN have such a high suicide rate over 3x higher than women.....but who cares about them.
Because we're not taught coping skills, and don't talk to our friends about our problems the way women do.

And easy access to guns. (men are twice as likely to own a gun)
“Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid." — George Carlin
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Heard this yesterday during a drive back from a client's office:

https://www.mainepublic.org/show/2-pm-p ... -with-race

Pretty interesting stuff.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:03 am Heard this yesterday during a drive back from a client's office:

https://www.mainepublic.org/show/2-pm-p ... -with-race

Pretty interesting stuff.
Thanks for this. Just listened to the entire show. Richard seems to sum it up nicely..."The worst of all worlds is the one we are in right now", which implies we need to figure this out rather quickly.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Wow.

youth, you said that you couldn't read the article, behind the paywall. Then asked "what do the stats tell you".
I provided the full article and highlighted what the "stats" tell me.

No-fault divorce reduced married women's suicides and reduced domestic abuse. Not just for the women who leave, but also those marriages where they stay and the men don't take for granted that they are in control.

Are men "POS", no, but some are. And many more have been raised in a patriarchal society to believe that they should be in control, and that when that's threatened to resort to verbal or physical abuse. And as that set of assumptions has increasingly been challenged, men sometimes respond badly. Whereas, some men learn to adapt their expectations and assumptions.

So, that's what the "stats" tell me.

Men do need to learn to control their impulses better, including suicidal impulses, but much of that may be neurobiological. https://psychology.nottingham.ac.uk/sta ... ith_15.pdf

Worldwide, men commit suicide 1.7 times women. Here in US, 3.7 times.
Yes, gun availability appears to be statistically correlated with male suicides (women tend to not use guns).

It ain't the no-fault divorce.

But hey, if you want to provide mental health care to men who have recently been divorced, by all means, that might be a reasonable policy 'ask'; or just more mental healthcare to anyone lonely...but forcing women to stay in an unhappy marriage should be a non-starter.

That said, research indicates that while no-fault divorce decreases women's suicide rate by 20% over the long term, there's "no discernible effect" on male rate of suicide.
https://www.nber.org/system/files/worki ... w10175.pdf

Here's a longer discussion:
https://www.truthorfiction.com/after-no ... nd_article
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:37 pm What's bizarre is forcing someone to stay married when they want out of a marriage (man or woman).

Also, prenup.

Wonder if kids are better off growing up under a loveless, potentially abusive marriage where one or both spouses hate and resent each other vs. having divorced parents.
Divorced is better for kids in bad marriages. For everyone involved but especially the kids. I know.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:27 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:37 pm What's bizarre is forcing someone to stay married when they want out of a marriage (man or woman).

Also, prenup.

Divorced is better for kids in bad marriages. For everyone involved but especially the kids. I know.
I have a good friend and former colleague, who, with his spouse, struggled over the years to maintain their marriage and keep the peace and stay together. Finally, after about a decade of this, they both convened the family meeting, and solemnly told the kids -- then 16, 18 and 20 -- that they were splitting up. All three kids let out a huge sigh and breath and said, "finally." They were elated that their parent stopped the charade. Years later, these "kids" are better friends with each of their parent then they ever could have been if the parents were married. Sometimes, suitability at 27 is no longer the case at 42. My own parents -- born in 1919 and 1924, Catholic, Irish -- would have stayed through what promised to be years, decades of disinclination and maybe even distaste, were it not for my Dad dropping dead on a business trip in 1971.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:07 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:27 am

Also, prenup.

I have a good friend and former colleague, who, with his spouse, struggled over the years to maintain their marriage and keep the peace and stay together. Finally, after about a decade of this, they both convened the family meeting, and solemnly told the kids -- then 16, 18 and 20 -- that they were splitting up. All three kids let out a huge sigh and breath and said, "finally." They were elated that their parent stopped the charade. Years later, these "kids" are better friends with each of their parent then they ever could have been if the parents were married. Sometimes, suitability at 27 is no longer the case at 42. My own parents -- born in 1919 and 1924, Catholic, Irish -- would have stayed through what promised to be years, decades of disinclination and maybe even distaste, were it not for my Dad dropping dead on a business trip in 1971.
That sunk cost anchoring mentality. Everyone’s susceptible to it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:14 pm

Wow.

Joe

Holy Hush Puppies! That was an amazing read.
I guess we’ll never hear from Joe again after he shaves his head and joins the Hare Krishnas.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:20 pm

Wow.

Joe

I guess we’ll never hear from Joe again after he shaves his head and joins the Hare Krishnas.
It's probably just better to have kids out of wedlock, should help the divorce stat to go down.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:14 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:20 pm

Wow.

Joe

It's probably just better to have kids out of wedlock, should help the divorce stat to go down.
The man is the woman’s head.

Return to “POLITICS”