All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

tech37

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:57 am
Bart wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:53 am
tech37 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:56 am These people in hindsight seem prescient:

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/new-evi ... -variants/

"The virus that causes COVID-19, known as SARS-CoV-2, uses a protein called spike to latch onto and get inside cells. People infected with SARS-CoV-2 generate the most protective antibodies against the spike protein.

Consequently, spike became the prime target for COVID-19 drug and vaccine developers. The three vaccines authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for emergency use in the U.S. — made by Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson — all target spike. And potent anti-spike antibodies were selected for development into antibody-based drugs for COVID-19.

Viruses are always mutating, but for nearly a year the mutations that arose in SARS-CoV-2 did not threaten this spike-based strategy. Then, this winter, fast-spreading variants were detected in the United Kingdom, South Africa, Brazil and elsewhere.Sparking concern, the new variants all carry multiple mutations in their spike genes, which could lessen the effectiveness of spike-targeted drugs and vaccines now being used to prevent or treat COVID-19. The most worrisome new variants were given the names of B.1.1.7 (from the U.K.), B.1.135 (South Africa) and B.1.1.248, also known as P.1 (Brazil)."
I do not know if they are prescient or not but I would be curious as to what other mutations in the COVID genome are doing? I think, rightly so, that they are concentrating on those of the spike protein but I have not seen any evidence that these mutations are occurring at a rate any faster than the rest of the entire genome. If you have any peer reviewed papers that indicate this I would love to read them.
My guess is you would have to ask Bret Weinstein… just a guess.
If you can't figure things out, perhaps ask your wife.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:59 am
tech37 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:56 am These people in hindsight seem prescient:

"The virus that causes COVID-19, known as SARS-CoV-2, uses a protein called spike to latch onto and get inside cells. People infected with SARS-CoV-2 generate the most protective antibodies against the spike protein.

Consequently, spike became the prime target for COVID-19 drug and vaccine developers. The three vaccines authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for emergency use in the U.S. — made by Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson — all target spike. And potent anti-spike antibodies were selected for development into antibody-based drugs for COVID-19.

Viruses are always mutating, but for nearly a year the mutations that arose in SARS-CoV-2 did not threaten this spike-based strategy. Then, this winter, fast-spreading variants were detected in the United Kingdom, South Africa, Brazil and elsewhere.Sparking concern, the new variants all carry multiple mutations in their spike genes, which could lessen the effectiveness of spike-targeted drugs and vaccines now being used to prevent or treat COVID-19. The most worrisome new variants were given the names of B.1.1.7 (from the U.K.), B.1.135 (South Africa) and B.1.1.248, also known as P.1 (Brazil)."
I do not know if they are prescient or not but I would be curious as to what other mutations in the COVID genome are doing? I think, rightly so, that they are concentrating on those of the spike protein but I have not seen any evidence that these mutations are occurring at a rate any faster than the rest of the entire genome. If you have any peer reviewed papers that indicate this I would love to read them.
I will. She is more credentialed than Weinstein. That is a fact. Not an opinion. You didn’t answer my question.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/a-pos ... e-11591162
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Bart wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:59 am

Don't know about Weinstein. He has his thoughts on the subject. I also do not know if there are any papers out there that might indicate this, hence the question. If there are some, I would love to read them.
Thanks
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:01 am

I will. She is more credentialed than Weinstein. That is a fact. Not an opinion. You didn’t answer my question.

:lol: Lies. Linking Weinstein to the antivax crowd or hydroxychloroquine are lies and misinformation. This journalist is lying regarding BW. Nice try though dude.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:21 am

:lol: Lies. Linking Weinstein to the antivax crowd or hydroxychloroquine are lies and misinformation. This journalist is lying regarding BW. Nice try though dude.
:lol: Have a good Sunday.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:29 am

Suggestion... you should do more research and try considering those who think "outside of the box"... and do less bureaucracy boot licking.

The jury is still out re IVM, not a "false remedy" as your lying journalist wrote in his headline.

IVM not the first drug to show off-label promise. You can start your research here (sans politics, smart people figured this out):

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/10-s ... edications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... -label_use
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:52 am

Suggestion... you should do more research and try considering those who think "outside of the box"... and do less bureaucracy boot licking.

The jury is still out re IVM, not a "false remedy" as your lying journalist wrote in his headline.

IVM not the first drug to show off-label promise. You can start your research here (sans politics, smart people figured this out):

When the FDA says it’s ok, I am sure it will be another method to beat back the virus. The criticism was of the fraudulent paper that seemed to be a reference point for many proponents. I will live with tried and true in most endeavors in my life. You can live “outside the box”……

https://www.thedailybeast.com/demon-spe ... orse-paste
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:02 pm

When the FDA says it’s ok, I am sure it will be another method to beat back the virus. The criticism was if the fraudulent paper that seemed to be a reference point for many proponents. I will live with tried and true in most endeavors in my life. You can live “outside the box”.
"live" yep, that's the point isn't it?

So if you come down with Covid and your doctor sends you home like a good patient, but you have the opportunity to take IVM, a legal, proven-safe drug based on decades of use, to possibly keep you out of the ICU, you're not taking it until your FDA bureaucracy buddies give you their blessing? If not, that's all I need to know about your thought process.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:19 pm

When the FDA says it’s ok, I am sure it will be another method to beat back the virus. The criticism was if the fraudulent paper that seemed to be a reference point for many proponents. I will live with tried and true in most endeavors in my life. You can live “outside the box”.

So if you come down with Covid and your doctor sends you home like a good patient, but you have the opportunity to take IVM, a legal, proven-safe drug based on decades of use, to possibly keep you out of the ICU, you're not taking it until your FDA bureaucracy buddies give you their blessing? If not, that's all I need to know about your thought process.
I am not on any medications. If I have an ailment and the doctor says this has been proven to be safe and effective for what you have, I will consider it if diet and exercise aren’t possible treatments. You can live outside the box….you go with the doctor that says I saw this work on the internet…
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Karma? Demographics?

"A rightwing TV and radio host who was a vociferous critic of Dr Anthony Fauci and who urged his listeners not to get vaccinated against Covid-19 has died after contracting the virus.

Dick Farrel, who had described Fauci as a “power-tripping lying freak” who conspired with “power trip libb loons”, had urged people not to get vaccinated as recently as June.

He reportedly changed his opinion about vaccines after falling ill and later being admitted to hospital before passing away on 4 August aged 65.

Farrel, a native of Queens, New York, anchored radio shows in Florida and also acted as a stand-in anchor for the rightwing news outlet Newsmax, was described as a pioneer “shock talk” host."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... dies-covid

Is the rate of science denial higher in the "baby boom" cohort, or simply larger due to large size? Perhaps a function of living a life largely free form challenge and adversity ("least" generation)?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:02 pm Karma? Demographics?

"A rightwing TV and radio host who was a vociferous critic of Dr Anthony Fauci and who urged his listeners not to get vaccinated against Covid-19 has died after contracting the virus.

Dick Farrel, who had described Fauci as a “power-tripping lying freak” who conspired with “power trip libb loons”, had urged people not to get vaccinated as recently as June.

He reportedly changed his opinion about vaccines after falling ill and later being admitted to hospital before passing away on 4 August aged 65.

Farrel, a native of Queens, New York, anchored radio shows in Florida and also acted as a stand-in anchor for the rightwing news outlet Newsmax, was described as a pioneer “shock talk” host."

Is the rate of science denial higher in the "baby boom" cohort, or simply larger due to large size? Perhaps a function of living a life largely free form challenge and adversity ("least" generation)?
He’s was thinking outside the box….now he’s not thinking inside a box.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:49 pm

I am not on any medications. If I have an ailment and the doctor says this has been proven to be safe and effective for what you have, I will consider it if diet and exercise aren’t possible treatments. You can live outside the box….you go with the doctor that says I saw this work on the internet…
Neither am I, but if needed I won't hesitate. Good luck with your "tried and true" standards. This isn't a standard disease. Good luck until FDA approved therapeutics are available. Until then watch out for delta, lamda, sigma, upsilon, omega...
Last edited by tech37 on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:25 pm

Never heard of him... irrelevant I suppose
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:12 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:49 pm

Neither am I, but if needed I won't hesitate. Good luck with your "tried and true" standards. This isn't a standard disease. Good luck until FDA approved therapeutics are available. Until then watch out for delta, lamda, sigma, upsilon, omega...
Tried and true methods to vet drugs. Tried and true methods to combat infectious diseases. You can go outside the box for your meds. It’s a free country. Hopefully we get the virus under control. I am going to rely on the experts in the field. You can rely on Root Man.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:13 pm

Exactly….Have many people on the street have heard of Bret Weinstein?
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:35 pm

The "street" is your measure? That explains a lot.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:42 pm

I took you as a typical man on the street having not heard of someone so therefore they are irrelevant. You don’t like answering questions. Anyway, you are free to take advice off the internet. I will rely on professionals. Maybe if desperate, I would try anything to stay alive…..short of wearing a mask or being vaccinated….. you will take a doctor’s advice without hesitation if he/she recommends a drug….but if they advise you not to take it, you hesitate? Seems like an odd logic to me.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:06 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:42 pm

I took you as a typical man on the street having not heard of someone so therefore they irrelevant. You don’t like answering questions. Anyway, you are free to take advice off the internet. I will rely on professionals. Maybe if desperate, I would try anything to stay alive…..short of wearing a mask or being vaccinated….. you will take a doctor’s advice without hesitation if he/she recommends a drug….but if they advise you not to take it, you hesitate? Seems like an odd logic to me.
You may be "typical," I'm not. And, I answer questions I consider worthwhile. I regard being sent home by my doctor, after testing positive for Covid, with nothing but a bottle of aspirin between myself and the ICU, as desperate. Based on my experience corresponding with you, even if you stated it correctly, I would not expect you to understand my logic.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

This is getting Tedious.
Fraudulent study touts snake oil, yes snake oil... until a peer reviewed, repeatable controlled study proves otherwise.

Who the heck cares about Brett Weinstein? Why should anyone care other than that he provides a platform for harmful misinformation, has a history of such. Sure, cloaked in seemingly reasonable discussion, he nevertheless gives snake oil a platform.

Tech, you're free to take whatever snake oil you want. But touting it as effective could be quite harmful.

Want to give someone advice on how to stay out of the ICU? Tell'em to get vaccinated.
Get a booster when appropriate to do so.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:56 pm This is getting Tedious.
Fraudulent study touts snake oil, yes snake oil... until a peer reviewed, repeatable controlled study proves otherwise.

Who the heck cares about Brett Weinstein? Why should anyone care other than that he provides a platform for harmful misinformation, has a history of such. Sure, cloaked in seemingly reasonable discussion, he nevertheless gives snake oil a platform.

Tech, you're free to take whatever snake oil you want. But touting it as effective could be quite harmful.

Want to give someone advice on how to stay out of the ICU? Tell'em to get vaccinated.
Get a booster when appropriate to do so.
And not only do you get that protection, but you help protect those others that cannot get the vaccine for medical reasons. And strengthen the economy by actually squashing the pandemic before a truly scary variant arises.

Return to “POLITICS”